What Would You Like To Suggest To Improve The Wiki?

Atum_Ramirez

Hello there, I have a suggestion/doubt xD

If the staff wants the players to forget the old rarity rates of pokemon until they come up with new ones(hence the unknown in the /list commnad), shouldnt the old rarity rates be erased from wiki? Because people can bypass the unknown rarity in /list, just by checking the PWO Wiki.

Tendou

Bluerise said:
Hello all.

I wanted to raise up something among more so the Wiki Editors however regular players are free to contribute. Currently it is being considered whether the Wiki should be moved to the same server as used by other web services.

Your thoughts are welcome before a decision is made.

It will be awesome to see the wiki as one with the website

1 - Will the wiki be kept as a kind of link in the website or will be a new kind of link separated from PWO but still uses PWO servers?

2 - Will wiki need move everything manually or is there a way to just move everything to the new nest?

3 - Will this change make the game/forum less or more lagged?

Saurus

Banned
There is one thing that needs to be fixed. It has to do with the Whirl Island Quest. The second step gave very confusing instructions and it didn't have a screenshot outlining the route to take like the others had. I wonder if I could edit the wiki and make that right.

rainbowromper

I think this is a terrible idea. You know how often I go on the main site and it is having problems or down? Far too often. You know how many times I've gone to use the wiki and it was down? Never.

rainbowromper

rainbowromper said:
I think this is a terrible idea. You know how often I go on the main site and it is having problems or down? Far too often. You know how many times I've gone to use the wiki and it was down? Never.
Well screw me. Not even 5 minutes after posting this I returned to the wiki to look up what I originally went there for, and it didn't work. Do whatever you want with it.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Sorry, never noticed new posts for this topic:
Tendou said:
1 - Will the wiki be kept as a kind of link in the website or will be a new kind of link separated from PWO but still uses PWO servers?
I assume you mean - can you log in with your pwo account? If so, no it wouldn't mean that.

Tendou said:
2 - Will wiki need move everything manually or is there a way to just move everything to the new nest?
I'll need to transfer it over, would require some small downtime for the Wiki.

Tendou said:
3 - Will this change make the game/forum less or more lagged?
It may result in slightly longer loading times for the wiki itself and in terms of everything else, it isn't expected to have a massive effect.

rainbowromper said:
rainbowromper said:
Well screw me. Not even 5 minutes after posting this I returned to the wiki to look up what I originally went there for, and it didn't work. Do whatever you want with it.
Do you recall exactly why it didn't work?

Dasch

Professor.Oak said:
Dasch said:
Any chane Cinnabar Island will get updated in the Wiki?
What do you feel is missing or needs to be added?

The picture hasnt been updated and there is no info on the gym/Volcano path there.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
The wiki has been moved (after much trouble).

Just want an extra one or two editors just to confirm things are okay for them, once happy - it'll be back live for you all. :)

If you want to be one of those editors, just visit the IRC and ask for reborn.

Future~Sight

Youngster
Website
www.matmartinez.net
The following links direct to the old wiki.
On the Main Page: Links to ChangeLog (In Navigation and above Useful Links) , 'Update Statistics'
Link to "Ground Types" In Magnet Rise in Broken Moves
Also, the e-mail ID given in guidelines might need to be changed too, not sure.

Future~Sight

Youngster
Website
www.matmartinez.net
And Also, even though i know you guys worked hard-on them, shouldn't the 'Catchable Pokemon' tables be removed now? Since the pokemon and their rarities are supposed to be hidden.
But as the game shows the available spawns of a few areas, you could just remove the rarity i suppose and instead add a note stating that Rarities are Unknown for the time being And/Or link to the forum topic with info on that.
And i believe this page needs an update http://pwo-wiki.info/index.php?title=Cinnabar_Island

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
future_sight said:
The following links direct to the old wiki.
On the Main Page: Links to ChangeLog (In Navigation and above Useful Links) , 'Update Statistics'
These have now been updated.

Naero

future_sight said:
And Also, even though i know you guys worked hard-on them, shouldn't the 'Catchable Pokemon' tables be removed now? Since the pokemon and their rarities are supposed to be hidden.
But as the game shows the available spawns of a few areas, you could just remove the rarity i suppose and instead add a note stating that Rarities are Unknown for the time being And/Or link to the forum topic with info on that.
And i believe this page needs an update http://pwo-wiki.info/index.php?title=Cinnabar_Island

Actually, I have planned to rework the locational information by constructing a template for it -- a template that'll allow us to present the information in a more eye-friendly fashion, make changes to the template - some aspects of the template that are unconditionally used on all pages - without having to change all of the Pokemon pages, and so that the template will facilitate editing for any other editors.

As it is right now, templates are constructed with raw, oversimplistic coding; it is a template I wanted to look into constructing, but have put it on-hold while awaiting more information on what the rarity-tier system is planned to be revamped to: how the rarity tiers will be changed, and if rarity tiers will be reintroduced at all moving into the future. Either way, I'll likely do as you suggested: defaulting the rarity-tier arguments to "Unknown", and making template-side changes, in case there are defined rarity labels for Pokemon in the future.

As for the Cinnabar Island article, I'll revamp that as well soon; thanks for raising it up!

Naero

Looking for some quick feedback on a recently created template of mine -- example of it in a move page (working on creating all move pages at this time): http://pwo-wiki.info/index.php?title=Solarbeam

I've consulted a few while this template was a WIP, applying their suggestions accordingly, but for any wiki readers aiming to provide feedback to the wiki, I would like to bring attention to this as well. Is there any information you would like augmented to the template that does not exist now? Regarding the presentation of the information, and aesthetic generals of the template-table, is there anything you would like to see redesigned or rearranged?

For wiki editors that may be interested in creating new pages, instructions have been drafted on the template's page: http://pwo-wiki.info/index.php?title=Template:MoveInfo I'll eventually have all of the move pages created down the road otherwise, if I'm not beaten to the punch. :)

Professor.Oak

Naero said:
Looking for some quick feedback on a recently created template of mine -- example of it in a move page (working on creating all move pages at this time): http://pwo-wiki.info/index.php?title=Solarbeam

I've consulted a few while this template was a WIP, applying their suggestions accordingly, but for any wiki readers aiming to provide feedback to the wiki, I would like to bring attention to this as well. Is there any information you would like augmented to the template that does not exist now? Regarding the presentation of the information, and aesthetic generals of the template-table, is there anything you would like to see redesigned or rearranged?

For wiki editors that may be interested in creating new pages, instructions have been drafted on the template's page: http://pwo-wiki.info/index.php?title=Template:MoveInfo I'll eventually have all of the move pages created down the road otherwise, if I'm not beaten to the punch. :)

Nice job on that template, looks good to me. You may consider keeping the Pokemon that can learn a move un-collapsed, I feel like each move only use a small space anyways, expanded it looks a bit more "fuller", but just a minor suggestion.

I was about to add in some moves but I didn't find a good way to automate the Pokemon that can learn a move section, are you doing it manually? You may want to look into the Special Page "What Links Here", It'll give you a page that brings up everything that contains a page, i.e. all Pokemon pages that contain "Scratch", looking through the special pages template you should be able select each page and automatically generate a list of Pokemon that use scratch, though I couldn't get it to work in my couple minutes of tinkering, here some random information on the template if you want to try and use it, doing 500+ moves manually might become a pain. Meanwhile I'll see if I can make some crappy macros on Notepad++ to automate it on an already existing list, blah.

Naero

Professor.Oak said:

Thank you for your suggestions; I will look to apply it effectively. I would agree that it does look spacious with the list enfolded into the collapsible section; without it, much of the informational contents of the page - the list of move-compatible Pokemon, contextually speaking - will be readily viewable, without looking cluttered (there isn't a myriad of information on the page to begin with).

I would've considered keeping them collapsed if the template itemized other move pools - the list of Pokemon that learn it via TM, move tutor, and so forth - but at this present time, I don't plan to incorporate those lists into the already-existing template. For now, I feel as if it will suffice by linking those subsets of learnable moves via the Availability section in the template, but I may change and rescheme this in the future, depending on future feedback. As long as it only documents the level-up learnset of move, it should be manageable to keep it uncollapsed.

While yes, all of the move-compatible Pokemon are manually entered into the template, I've constructed the template's modularity to require as little of input as needed to output the information that it does -- the only arguments that must be entered are the Pokemon's name, and (if it has a designated level) the level wherein the move is learned naturally. The template generates all of the data needed using primarily the Pokemon's name, calling the said data from MovesRawList and PokemonRawList.

For the template to automate any other data, the template-called data would need to be compiled in a raw-text, comma-separated format, as exemplified in the raw-data lists that I've linked. While we won't be able to fetch this data from the "What Links Here" page directly, a script/macro can be used to parse data from the list; just remember to also include the level of the Pokemon was designated to learn it in, in Black/White, since the pages that you've shown won't display it on their index. :p

TheConqueror

Hello, I'd like to suggest that..the wiki must have more pokemons even though the game doesn't have :p..I kind a want a wiki which is completed upto Gen 6..since, the game has only progressed upto 2 regions and the pokemons found there are only listed in the wiki..it'd be pointless!! but to refer something a complete wiki would be awesome..depends on the administrators..I'm just suggesting :p but if administrators allow, the work to be done will be also more...:)