Update on Client Permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

monstruopoke

Hello im
cochran.jpg
. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury assumed, S .. really want to make them believe that he is owner of the client ". And they did a good job. Gee, sorry if i almost felt sorry .
Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca
0330chewbacca.jpg
. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!....

I just want to play...

wendzz09

This is the first time i see a game with too much drama. Fixed your issues as soon as possible or else the players would lose interest. I agree with franc's statements its either a fresh start or completely closed the game. I would wait for the future updates and i hope the staffs cooperate with each other.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Right. We've had two days to discuss this and will update players if/when the situation changes. It is still very early to say anything that is set in stone, but we still want to keep players as updated as we can with what information we can.

In regards to concerns regarding privacy policy:

The ingame command itself has very strict policy regarding when, why, and by who it can be used, especially in regards to players. It does not exist for the sake of and is not used to read the private messages of players; it was created to gather information/observations of specific types of botting programs. We DO NOT log the ingame chat -let alone private conversations- which is why videos or screenshots are required for Community Watch reports.

It has existed for some time now and all previous Admins, DEVs, and GMs have used it without voicing any sort of concern toward the command.

Unfortunately to verify that all previous staff who have been able to use this command were aware of it, I am having to include an instance that was provided to me previously where Shane used the command to force a staff member to ban themselves. I apologize in advance for obscene language.
http://i.imgur.com/eHg70D4.png
http://i.imgur.com/wpaktLG.png

Forum-wise, the only staff who have access to PMs are those in an extremely small staffgroup who have access to the forum database. There is an exception in that, if a forum PM is reported by a user, it becomes viewable to GMs so that they can follow up on cases of harassment or hacking links/viruses being distributed.

With that being said, we have been so far unaware of any potential breaches of International Privacy Laws. While we still are not sure what law is being referred to in that instance, we have been made aware that our Privacy Policy is indeed in conflict with the command in question.

We will be using the time that we have to question and address players' privacy rights and our policies regarding it, including discussion of if that command is ethical, the procedures surrounding it, and if the command is necessary. I know that, during the ruleset rewrite, I had personally wanted to check the ethics and consistencies between our other policies and if our actions were consistent with them, but I failed to do so beyond the ruleset change. I personally apologize for that. While we would have preferred we be asked about it directly, concern is still concern and we will be following up on it.

As for deleted/removed posts, if you believe any posts were wrongfully removed (the post was not spam and was constructive + Civil/respectful) please contact one of us directly with the content of the post in question.

Thank you for your time, and thank you for keeping the topic somewhat civil up to this point. I know there are people who are not happy right now; we will continue to take concerns on this matter that are constructive and at least somewhat civil/respectful.

- Posted on behalf of Rigaudon

The-Predator

Youngster
Well now that I see those SS, makes me think that Shane knew about the command all the time, then why all of a sudden ragequit??

Also at least you should have told us, you could see our pms, I mean I do really got upset when I knew about this, Because then where´s the privacy?, But now that chocobo explained the security stuff and that those are read only when needed, is kind of understandable as well, just you should make some announcement about that or something, that let people know about pm stuff

Pretentious

As I've already mentioned, just make sure to state somewhere that the messages can be monitored. Rename them, or don't, just explicitly state that the messages can be read by staff at any time, for any reason, and that they are not meant to be completely private.

Otherwise, anyone who has ever used screen shots of a private message even to report someone- you are essentially invading that member's privacy. Just change the policy.

wendzz09

When i see the screenshots its shane alright. He is a good developer but sometimes he acts too childish and he is too emotional for a guy. He can just sell his client and he can make a profit out of it but instead he acts too immature and ragequit.

As a developer also, its useless if the application you created cannot be use by others. I hope the staff can find a developer that continue this great game. We would wait for future updates and i hope the staff discuss their personal issues or whatsoever this time. Goodluck creating a new pwo cheers.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
We are looking at the privacy policy to see what we can do to make it more transparent and reflective of this over the next few days.

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
Chocobo7 said:
Right. We've had two days to discuss this and will update players if/when the situation changes. It is still very early to say anything that is set in stone, but we still want to keep players as updated as we can with what information we can.

In regards to concerns regarding privacy policy:

The ingame command itself has very strict policy regarding when, why, and by who it can be used, especially in regards to players. It does not exist for the sake of and is not used to read the private messages of players; it was created to gather information/observations of specific types of botting programs. We DO NOT log the ingame chat -let alone private conversations- which is why videos or screenshots are required for Community Watch reports.

It has existed for some time now and all previous Admins, DEVs, and GMs have used it without voicing any sort of concern toward the command.

Unfortunately to verify that all previous staff who have been able to use this command were aware of it, I am having to include an instance that was provided to me previously where Shane used the command to force a staff member to ban themselves. I apologize in advance for obscene language.
http://i.imgur.com/eHg70D4.png
http://i.imgur.com/wpaktLG.png

Forum-wise, the only staff who have access to PMs are those in an extremely small staffgroup who have access to the forum database. There is an exception in that, if a forum PM is reported by a user, it becomes viewable to GMs so that they can follow up on cases of harassment or hacking links/viruses being distributed.

With that being said, we have been so far unaware of any potential breaches of International Privacy Laws. While we still are not sure what law is being referred to in that instance, we have been made aware that our Privacy Policy is indeed in conflict with the command in question.

We will be using the time that we have to question and address players' privacy rights and our policies regarding it, including discussion of if that command is ethical, the procedures surrounding it, and if the command is necessary. I know that, during the ruleset rewrite, I had personally wanted to check the ethics and consistencies between our other policies and if our actions were consistent with them, but I failed to do so beyond the ruleset change. I personally apologize for that. While we would have preferred we be asked about it directly, concern is still concern and we will be following up on it.

As for deleted/removed posts, if you believe any posts were wrongfully removed (the post was not spam and was constructive + Civil/respectful) please contact one of us directly with the content of the post in question.

Thank you for your time, and thank you for keeping the topic somewhat civil up to this point. I know there are people who are not happy right now; we will continue to take concerns on this matter that are constructive and at least somewhat civil/respectful.

- Posted on behalf of Rigaudon

You showed him controlling pansy to kick herself, your ss doesnt show he was aware that staff could see users PM's as well. So henceforth, does your post not constitute as spam/ un constructive?

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
Pretentious said:
As I've already mentioned, just make sure to state somewhere that the messages can be monitored. Rename them, or don't, just explicitly state that the messages can be read by staff at any time, for any reason, and that they are not meant to be completely private.

Otherwise, anyone who has ever used screen shots of a private message even to report someone- you are essentially invading that member's privacy. Just change the policy.

If someone PM's you, that message therefore becomes yours, as you both are sharing that message. The PMer cannot claim you are invading said members privacy if you report the PM, as it is essentially your message now too. Shared property, if you will. The word private means a 3rd party should not be reading the messages, unless one of the parties allows it to happen.

As you can see, your example is not comparable to say, lee snoping through my forum pms.

Step 1 would be, if the staff wants to move forward with spying on people, make a Privacy Policy, and let players be aware of whats really going on.

Step 2, like you said, is to change the name from Private Messaging, to say something like just Message.

Step 3 Make their own client, since they keep ******* with the one guy whose given them a client. If lee thinks kyro coded the client, go get a new client from kyro.

Belemuel

This whole thing is stupid all because a very strict command was miss used. Id admit that i kknew about that command even though i didn't have that certain power and its scary thinking that a staff member can just control your account and see what your doing. Another reason why i left the staff team cuz of that command though i wasn't allowed to say anything in public about it due to staff policies. But that ss with pansy kicking herself i asked. shane to kick her because she ranted at me for battling players. Though i nothing against the staff personally but i needed to explain my view on this and my story as i was apart of it.

LeroyGarcia

Youngster
Listening to private conversations!?!? Oh dear. Uhm I think it's not right but then again maybe they do it to lock on on those not complying with the rules? To have many of mad just makes u look like u guys do some fishy stuff via pms.

Portgas.D.Ace

Honestly...I dont feel safe anymore playing PWO...Dont I have right for little privacy? If someone can control my accoutn...conttrol what I am doing and even read my private messages...That is really scary now thinking how may private stuff I have. If PM was named Whisper or something I wouldnt be much bothered but this is scary to know that staff can spy through my account...I suggest you note somehwere in rules that staff might spy you anytime and rename private messages to Whisper or something. I always knew there is something but I never realized it might be like this where staff can do with me what they want any time. Seriously...you had to note this before people playing your game.

LeroyGarcia

Youngster
So everyone is paranoid of being spied on in the game? We are already being spied on by the NSA here in America and maybe in you guys' countries too and I don't see you guys calling your governments to tell them you feel violated....

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
LeroyGarcia said:
So everyone is paranoid of being spied on in the game? We are already being spied on by the NSA here in America and maybe in you guys' countries too and I don't see you guys calling your governments to tell them you feel violated....

Well, you can't compare a game with a government in real life, seriously think what you're saying. No, Its not like you said ''just makes u look like u guys do some fishy stuff via pms'' No... you're 100 % wrong, what happens if I have a real life friend and Im talking with him about very personal stuff via pm in pwo? I don't want them to tell others about my personal stuff as ALREADY HAPPENED with a player, thats private and most of the staff members aren't very matures at all, thats what proof shows me. I know what you'll say: ''Go talk with your friend somewhere else'' not really, if my friend is playing and I'm playing whats wrong if we want to talk this way using our PRIVATE chats? You can't judge us for doing it. Also, one thing is a player being monitored to evade troubles with hacks (with being monitored I'm referring to being close to the suspicious player, in the same spot/area, not INSIDE his account) and other thing is spying accounts without concern and invade privacy.

Pretentious

matileo19 said:
Well, you can't compare a game with a government in real life, seriously think what you're saying. No, Its not like you said ''just makes u look like u guys do some fishy stuff via pms'' No... you're 100 % wrong, what happens if I have a real life friend and Im talking with him about very personal stuff via pm in pwo?

Think about what YOU'RE saying. Seriously, just quit using the game as a means of discussing sensitive information. You're completely ignoring the reasons why they have these measures in place. Believe me, I don't want to have a false sense of privacy either. This is why they're going to review their privacy policy and hopefully better inform the users in the future.

If the other feature is how staff was able to find so many botters, good for them. I don't like how this information was kept from the public (if this is the top secret way that staff used to find them that GMs always referred to, I'm pretty disappointed), yet this is another example of the reason why so many issues are blown out of proportion. Issues are rarely dealt with before they are discovered by the players. :(

Transparency is key, especially when the pros outweigh the cons. Geeeeeeeeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.