Update on Client Permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Dear PWO Players,

As some of you may have heard, the developer of the existent PWO client has now declined us the right to continue using it and providing access to you, the playing community. As such, we are stepping up the efforts to provide a new client to allow the unhindered, continuing enjoyment of PWO for the future. This is no quick task and requires the contributions from all areas of the PWO team but we will keep you updated throughout the process and will require feedback and advice from you, the players, on this process.

In the mean time we have spoken to Xanatus and he has advised us and given permission to run the game server using the existing client. This would be in contradiction to Shane's posted wishes and as such it is not a decision we want to take lightly. This decision came during some essential maintenance and as such, this maintenance will need to be finished regardless of the decision taken about the game server. Upon completion of this, we will contact Xanatus again to confirm that he feels we should restart the game server and hopefully he will have contacted Shane personally and be able to guide us on his preferred path to take. As well as this, we are also welcoming opinions from you, as to what you feel the right course of action is to take with regards to respecting the client developers wishes, carefully considering the possible repercussions and the advice given by the game owner.

As a result of the ongoing downtime, membership will be extended for all those with active membership. We apologise for this regrettable downtime and will do our best to keep you up to date once we have further developments.

Thanks for your patience.
~The PWO Team

PS. Playerdex will remain offline as updates are currently being made.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
I love how it isn't stated that the reasons that made him resort to those actions were related to your breaching of the privacy of players. If it is to explain something, don't go with the convenient storytelling route.

GawertyXL

I'm not going to pick any side in this conflict between Shane and staff. My stance on the matter though is that, He created the current client, first and foremost, you should respect his wishes, if that means PWO must go down for an extended time, so be it. That is a repercussion of losing your client developer through the means that it has happened, too go against his wishes could bring forth legal problems and is morally wrong.

Gawerty~

Pangaea

PWO is dead. Just stop trying.

I, for one, along with a looooottttt of other people have Shanes back. Always have and always will.

ArcticSun

Youngster
KaiTheLoneWolf said:
I love how it isn't stated that the reasons that made him resort to those actions were related to your breaching of the privacy of players. If it is to explain something, don't go with the convenient storytelling route.

Shane is currently not available for contact for the staff team, and as his statements regarding violating International Privacy Laws are not clarified, we cannot respond to the statement as we do not want to provide misinformation or assumptions.

If there are indeed privacy issues, they will be addressed before the game returns.

To note, disrespectful posts were removed and this topic will be moderated. There is a difference between a conversation, a discussion and just blind hate.

knotzl02

ArcticSun said:
Shane is currently not available for contact for the staff team, and as his statements regarding violating International Privacy Laws are not clarified, we cannot respond to the statement as we do not want to provide misinformation or assumptions.

If there are indeed privacy issues, they will be addressed before the game returns.

excuses... always excuses...
better make Shane look like he withdraw the right to use his client just out of nothing, out of a bad mood, than tell the TRUTH... this is sad... so sad...

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
What I have to say, I know some good stuff about Xanatus and maybe more things that the community doesn't knows along with most of the staff members. You gonna delete this ? Why? I'm not hating. No worry, I won't post any info here.

It's time to elect a new candidate for the highest rank in the staff, someone capable to lead you, to lead us. It's time to make the appropriate paperwork and stand up to see the reality and end this once and for all. I don't want any bootlicker responding to this post, you don't need to be a bootlicker to be a part of the staff you know? I'm honest and I don't care how others may look at me when is about saying things, I'm like that and I've been a part of the staff 4 times so, time to act diff guys. Think about it.

Thanks for your effort, some of you are doing well, as for the others... time to move on.

Good luck.

ArcticSun

Youngster
I am completely serious when I say this topic will be heavily moderated. A forum lock may be applied soon.

Spam and disruptive posts have been removed.

Pangaea

Alright, so you want answers? I'll give you answers.

The privacy issues are to do with PM's along with forum messages. In-game pm's can be read at real time via staff. That is pretty much invading a private conversation. If you didn't want the message to be private, you'd have posted it for everyone to see. Forum PM's are logged in the database for Admins to read at any time and share it anywhere at any time. Staff is able to read PM's on player accounts as they are being written. Shane doesn't want anything to do with PWO as this is the issue with the privacy breach. It's breaking privacy laws which is illegal. Why in the world would Shane want to associate himself with a game that is flawed with legal issues?
Shane agreed to work with staff a few days ago, and it was all going good and well until he saw some other staff members talking bad about him and some were angry he was back trying to help. Again, why would Shane want to have people use his work if they were going to talk bad about him? It's his client, and it's breaking privacy laws. You can't just use something illegal.

Rigaudon

Youngster
knotzl02 said:
excuses... always excuses...
better make Shane look like he withdraw the right to use his client just out of nothing, out of a bad mood, than tell the TRUTH...

We do not want to assume people's reasons behind their actions, especially when the details of those reasons have only reached us through word-of-mouth, including the screenshot another user has posted here.
Instead of outright assuming his motives, we are trying to find a way to ask him to directly clarify them, as is stated in the post you are quoting.

As for the deleted posts, if they were found to be in breach of the game's policies:
12. Language or discussion that isn't PG rated (Child Friendly) is not allowed. This rule applies to (but is not limited to) the ingame Chat, Private Messages, and Usernames. Censored swear words are considered inappropriate. This rule applies to all languages.

13. Do not insult or provoke staff or other players, including through Private Messages. This includes calling people names or making rude comments. If you're in an argument, you should keep it civil even if the other person is not.

They were removed. We had been lax with enforcement of this until now for the past few months because we know people are frustrated, but as the situation has prolonged we are having to continue enforcing these rules.

Fair criticism, as can be found in your first post Kaiser, are and will continue to be allowed to remain. It is also why the topic was not locked immediately - we expected a fair amount of questions and criticisms and want people to have a chance to ask or respond to the situation.

However, if the topic cannot remain civil it will be locked.

KaiTheRageInducer

TL;DR

Unless it is to support people from the inner ring, don't post or you'll see your post being deleted and your account forum banned. Poor criticism handling at its finest

GaryMustard

Banned
how the f*ck is my reply against your silly *** rules?? you all are trying to make Shane look like the bad guy when I am proving you all wrong... you all are so f*cking immature...
and here is the SS one more time...
MB0nWwO.png

ArcticSun

Youngster
KaiTheRageInducer said:
TL;DR

Unless it is to support people from the inner ring, don't post or you'll see your post being deleted and your account forum banned. Poor criticism handling at its finest

Fair criticism is welcome. This is why I left your initial post as it was actually constructive. The rest were just boiling down into hate, which were removed and acted upon justly and harshly as warned.

For scottyscene, if you really feel your post is useful, then it can be determined, but your constant misbehaviour is the reason of your bans, not you posting Shane's email address as a new means of communication. It will be taken seriously if you believe it has grounds to get in contact with Shane faster than others.

But as warned, this topic will still be heavily moderated. There is no need for this behaviour, and it is breaking rules as Rig pointed above.

FireLadyMai

Banned
Fair criticism is welcome. I love how you say that, but delete everyone who makes a comment that goes against you and makes staff look bad.

Bottom line, don't believe what staff tell you. Don't post anything against them or it will be deleted. They can't handle the truth coming out.

Oh, and we have given you Shane's email multiple times, and it's caught on screen shot. So please, stop saying you don't know how to reach him. The lying to cover things up is getting out of hand. . .

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
ArcticSun said:
KaiTheLoneWolf said:

To note, disrespectful posts were removed and this topic will be moderated. There is a difference between a conversation, a discussion and just blind hate.
I talked to Shane personally this afternoon to see what the problem was, apparently Lee and the rest of you claimed that:

1) He didnt code the client, Kyro did (which lee should know good and well is not true, shane made the new client in 2009. Kyro was long gone).
2) That you guys said that said client was ****ty, and basically trashed the guy after he apologized to you all, and wanted to work with you guys again.
http://prntscr.com/4jt4dg
http://prntscr.com/4jt4fy
http://prntscr.com/4jt4is
http://prntscr.com/4jt4k4
http://prntscr.com/4jt4yr
http://prntscr.com/4jt60q
3) Basically he tried to work with you guys in good faith, and you guys spat on him. AGAIN. After that bs apology post as well. (Sound familiar? it sure sounds familiar to me)

4) The privacy violation. [9/4/2014 5:30:36 PM] Shane: Doing such things, with no real documentaion saying you can.. Is breaking international privacy laws.

[9/4/2014 5:30:51 PM] Shane: Facebook got a class action law suit, from processing PMs for links even

5) Basically, PWO is no longer allowed to use Shanes intellectual property, any instance of staff using his code, or even modifying it, will result in a lawsuit. As PWO may be illegal, but code isnt. Running to Xan cannot change this, Shanes made up his mind. The reason shane is not posting this up himself, is as you can see, Staff will try and spin everything to make them the victims again like last time.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
Don't use his client without permission. Nothing good will come of it, and it will only incite anger and retaliation. Take your time, get it right and then be your own game.

KaiTheRageInducer

EcoWOLFrb said:
Don't use his client without permission. Nothing good will come of it, and it will only incite anger and retaliation. Take your time, get it right and then be your own game.

The problem isn't only lying on the client. It also lies on some people holding ranks that have overextended their stay and if such a change doesn't happen there won't be much of a future for this game even if a new client is built

Status
Not open for further replies.