Stop. Just STOP IT.

G

crenel said:
Protip for boys: try playing a female character in a game for more than a week. When people inevitably ask you "are you a girl irl????" say yes, then see how long you last.

Protip: guys are disgusting and horribly insensitive when anonymous.

Protip: guys, no one wants to see your genitals. Grow out of puberty.
^ OMG AMEN!! ?

@Miss Zeb

Aww. That's why you always have your PM off :(
Anyways, I've been there before. And I agree that when you mentioned you're a girl all boys go crazy and asks for your facebook/skype or wut. But I just ignore them.
I hope you still enjoy playing eventho this happened.

Kaiko

Youngster
Athacus said:
This is why the ignore feature was implemented..maybe?

Maybe so, but one shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable, JUST because there is a ignore feature. She shouldn't always have to feel so uncomfortable, that she ALWAYS has to put ignore to effect each and everytime she logs in. It's still not okay that players are acting this way towards her even if there is a ignore option. It's not okay either way, nor will it ever be.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
athacus said:
This is why the ignore feature was implemented..maybe?

I have tried both being nice and nasty, but it doesn't matter because another guy comes up to replace them.

It tends to work like this:

Some person talks to me. I talk back. We have a generic conversation that seems okay and he's friendly enough. Suddenly, he starts hitting on me or dropping hints.
He's (normally) not being a jerk, but it's certainly uncomfortable, and sometimes creepy. I push this away in a clear manner trying to retain the niceness we had before. Keeps pushing. Begins trying to manipulate information out of me.

It either escalates into pure awkwardness or, in rare cases, downright arguing and nastiness. In reality I just want to chat and have fun, but now I am stuck in this very uncomfortable (and sometimes scary if the guy is insistent enough) situation. This happens over and over again until we either go back to being friends, he is put on ignore, or he simply stops talking to me.

Whatever occurs, very soon (often within a week) a next one will come and follow the same course. It doesn't matter what I say or how nice I am about it, it never ends. Just doesn't stop.
(Sometimes it never gets resolved and once a month I get a hint dropped, or that it's a one-time instance. The thing is, it's almost never worth the report/ignore. It's just that the things stack up and I have to diffuse different situations all the time. )

So, my PMs are never open anymore. People who are my friends can't reach me, and whenever I do open PMs for 2 seconds something like that happens and I cringe every time I see a new name pop onto my screen, just bracing myself for it. If somebody has to reach me, it's normally through like MSN or the IRC.

I also highly doubt I'm the only person; this probably happens everywhere on the internet. But consider this topic me standing my ground, giving people fair warning.

neodestruct

sorry to hear your going thru that zeb, ive known quite a few people who have gone thru it or still go thru it. and it does get to a point where u dont even want to log on or do anything cause of it. i hope that it cools down and more enforcement upon this subject happens. hope to see you in game soon though , btw thanks for the xatu <3 hes a beast!.

MrFlare2

Youngster
To be perfectly honest, everyone who does that is just sad, like i said in game. In real life, i already have a girl, and you dont see me going "OH I HAVE A GIRL AND IM JUST GONNA HIT ON THIS ENTERNET ONE I DONT EVEN KNOW" no, i actually HAVE a life and dont do that sort of crap other perverted 10 year olds would do. So anyone who does this to ANY girl on ANY internet game, you are one sick, horrible, person, and i hope you die alone.

~Flare

Claire

Yes! This post is long overdue and I was about to make one myself. Thanks for saving me the trouble. :D

P.s. just because I may talk with you or, heaven forbid, joke and have fun with you. It doesn't mean I want more than friendship... Just a disclaimer I'm putting out there. :p

Tortuga

What to say, I've played couple of top games and seen girls but also these kind of persons as you said before.
Those people who hunt girls in internet can't really get one IRL(In Real Life) and some does it because they just want to do it(lol).
I don't see the real problem with guys in games who needs to humiliate or as in this case, hits.
Who knows when its gonna end?!

Take care and Im still looking for to hire you to help me to get Dratini skin... :eek:

Ragus

The big question here is how do we stop these people. Honestly nothing came to mind apart from putting a report botton in the game but i think thats already there, and i dunno if that would keep future "problems" from pm weird things. I guess you could put a message on the homepage that reads "harrasment = prema ban". It's sad people don't understand this is a pg game.

To all the players harassing others: Somone needs to slap you in the back of your head and tell you to straighten up! This is not real! these people dont care about you or your problems or anything about you. they hate you, they want you to die. No matter what you want from them they are internet folks not real life folks. The only thing they can be is "FRIENDS" thats it. So say your sorry and move on before you grow in to an old man/lady who lives alone in a basement somewhere. Make friends we people around you, they can interact with you, they can care about you!

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
You can't, to be honest.

I don't hate them but it causes a lot of stress. Shouldn't go die but I really wish they would stop,and the person who can stop them is the person being harassed. Telling them to gtho is honestly the most efficient way. Which is basically what I'm doing with this topic.

Sometimes you can report them but like I said earlier, a lot of it is not really worth banning a person over.

KarasuroKun

PWO Composer
Game Editor
Website
bb089.bandcamp.com
crenel said:
Protip for boys: try playing a female character in a game for more than a week. When people inevitably ask you "are you a girl irl????" say yes, then see how long you last.

Already did. It was in Runescape and it was my friends idea.. It's scary to see how many immature males inherit the gaming community. If I could say one thing to those people is STOP MAKING US MALE GAMERS LOOK BAD!!! Gaming is equally a male and female friendly environment. Harassment online is just as bad as it is offline... only more safe.

crenel said:

D: Am not!!

crenel said:

Are you sure? I mean.. your not in the least bit curious?

JK! Don't take that seriously. Only LMFAO can get away with that. And really, all this has to deal with immaturity. It sucks but, things like this are always going to happen.
Good luck to you Zeb! Hopefully it'll get better as time goes on.

GawertyXL

Zebs, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, Im sad that people do this too you, and wish that this is handled in one way or another.. Hope all is well. I really hope this is handled, and as much as this goes on, it should be handled..

Mangos

KarasuroKun said:
crenel said:

Already did. It was in Runescape and it was my friends idea.. It's scary to see how many immature males inherit the gaming community. If I could say one thing to those people is STOP MAKING US MALE GAMERS LOOK BAD!!! Gaming is equally a male and female friendly environment. Harassment online is just as bad as it is offline... only more safe.

crenel said:

D: Am not!!

crenel said:

Are you sure? I mean.. your not in the least bit curious?

JK! Don't take that seriously. Only LMFAO can get away with that. And really, all this has to deal with immaturity. It sucks but, things like this are always going to happen.
Good luck to you Zeb! Hopefully it'll get better as time goes on.

That is l3git!... but uh... how old were you when you did that?

crenel

Youngster
CheckeredZebra said:
Telling them to gtho is honestly the most efficient way.
I play a lot of female characters in other games (I have an entire filing system of NPCs I've created for tabletop gaming that I put to use when I'm in need of characters, it's about 50/50 male/female). If I can give you a bit of advice, never ever roleplay as a female even if you are in fact female. It goes downhill faster than you can say "help I need an adult".

My experience is that anyone jonesing on you for thinking/knowing you're a girl is best deterred by flat out telling them that you will report them and they'll likely have a nice visit from management, and that all of that can go away if they scram. Most games (PWO included) don't tolerate that stuff -- that's why I told you via twitter that if you're being harassed to report it.

And the whole "yo guys, go be a girl online" thing was a legit suggestion, it's an eye opener. The whole "there are no girls on the internet" thing became meme for a reason, and it's not the reason you think it is.

Mangos

crenel said:
CheckeredZebra said:
I play a lot of female characters in other games (I have an entire filing system of NPCs I've created for tabletop gaming that I put to use when I'm in need of characters, it's about 50/50 male/female). If I can give you a bit of advice, never ever roleplay as a female even if you are in fact female. It goes downhill faster than you can say "help I need an adult".

My experience is that anyone jonesing on you for thinking/knowing you're a girl is best deterred by flat out telling them that you will report them and they'll likely have a nice visit from management, and that all of that can go away if they scram. Most games (PWO included) don't tolerate that stuff -- that's why I told you via twitter that if you're being harassed to report it.

And the whole "yo guys, go be a girl online" thing was a legit suggestion, it's an eye opener. The whole "there are no girls on the internet" thing became meme for a reason, and it's not the reason you think it is.

LOL, i get people sending me pms cuz they think im a girl because of my avatar. Fair enough, they find out im a guy pretty quick ;P

Also never thought of the reason there is no online girls thing.. like that

xNovoxx

So... does this mean you're single?

Note : Any response to this would insinuate you're interested.

G

Mangos said:
crenel said:
CheckeredZebra said:

LOL, i get people sending me pms cuz they think im a girl because of my avatar. Fair enough, they find out im a guy pretty quick ;P

Also never thought of the reason there is no online girls thing.. like that

I know the feeling, I accidently missclicked on what used to be my main.

Decided to fix it so I created an 'alt' to be my new main, donated - waited for coins until starting to play - but then I found out that the alt keeps the setting from the main.

/Meh

Not harassed so far though, people shouln'd really dare either ;)

CharManDa

Zebbbbbbbb, Im so sorry you deal with BS like this... :( I got your back, im going to start paying attention and try to help in anyway. See you INGAME O0

Derek

I'm going to tell you something I find extremly funny, I'm not going to say any names...........but I know this guy in real life, he's funny as hell and plays this game alot. Anyways he plays this game with a female avatar for the sole purpass of hitting on guys, (he's gay by the way).............. So many guys hit on him everytime he plays, and he loves it. I find it hillarious...............LMFAO

SuperSaiyan

TELLIN IT HOW IT IS!!!
i leave pms off and im a guy, i cnt imagine what its like for u zebby, but good job tellin it how it is, the internets filled with creeps yooo

Torment

Website
www.youtube.com
Im real Sorry to hear about this, to be honest, i would not have expected this in PWO and never once though about it happening, but i guess it happens everywhere on the internet now, as soon as you mention your female, its "OMFG babez wanna hang out? heres my number...." Not all males are like that, which i would say is a very good thing :)
But unfortunatly, most of them on the net are like that, im guessing there all kids growing into there teens and getting all excited about seeing a girl online.

i would say, just ignore them, they go away, but its not true. like you said, when one leaves another follows it really is disgusting, like someone mentioned on here, the other 50% of the worlds population is female, why they freak out over a girl being on the internet and playing games, i have no idea.

Honestly, i hope it gets better for you. from what iv read, you sound like a really nice person and shouldnt be getting all these problems. :)