Do you feel strongly about the spawn changes, and in which fashion?

• I am happy about the spawns' levels.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am happy about the rarity rates of the area(s)'s spawns.

• I am happy about the spawn selections that inhabit the area(s).

• I am unhappy about the spawns' levels.

• I am unhappy about the rarity rates of the area(s)'s spawns.

• I am unhappy about the spawn selections that inhabit the area(s).

• Total voters

BusterBlazeFox

Website
www.youtube.com
Back again. This time I ran around in Mt. Moon 1F for ~30-35 minutes. Not sure exactly how long, since I ran out of Pokeballs at one point and had to trek back to Pewter to buy some (What if I had run into Clefairy? Right?). I also ended up being a bit disorganized with my Notepad file at first, lol. But for simplicity's sake, let's say I just went 30 minutes.

Clefairy - 0
Paras - 5
Geodude - 54
Zubat - 17 (I think there were more than this due to my disorganization, so I think calling it 20 would be safe)

Hmm... Okay. Here's my guess (And I'm willing to bet 1,000 pokemoney on this):
Geodude: Common
Zubat: Uncommon
Paras: Very Rare
Clefairy: Horribly Rare

Paras might be just Rare, but I'm sticking with VR. xD

In all seriousness, though. This time I kept track of exactly the amount of levels I grew during the time I was searching, and here are the results:

Oddish: 12 -> 16
Butterfree: 12 -> 13
Mankey: 15 -> 16
Psyduck: 14 -> 16
Total: 8 Levels. (Note: Mankey was THIS close to his next level when I hit my time limit, and had I chosen to, Charmander would've gotten to 15, too, so it's seriously more like 10. I also caught two Pokemon, and that alone would have likely grown at least one of them to the next level, if not both.)

Oddish cleaned up on those Geodudes, as I expected. Speaking of which, I expected to see more Zubats. I suppose you chose to make them rarer so as to avoid strengthening the meme. ;) Or, it could be the fact that the inevitable Confusion they bring is incredibly annoying (Especially since it stays even outside of battle in PWO). Either way, I like it better since Geodudes seemingly give out more XP than Zubat. It seems to depend on the POkemon you're using, though, and obviously it takes a huge cut if you use more than one Pokemon.

So yeah... dat Geodudes. If you have a gress/water type, this is the place to train. Unless the B1F and B2F maps have higher levels! I'll be testing them in the coming days. I think I want to grind my Butterfree a bit now, so it's off to B1F now, at least!

Oh yeah, my overall impressions: It's very nicely balanced, but it makes me wish Charmander still had Metal Claw all the more. But Charmander was always considered the "hard" starter, so I guess it's fair enough that he's not AS useful earlier on. If you have a grass or water, as I mentioned, you make quick work of this dungeon. Great for training those ones, too. Butterfree takes out Zubats with Confusion, and Mankey can also take out Geodudes fairly easily. Although Paras are a rarity, Charmander can at least handle those with ease if you spew off an Ember. Mankey can also hit Clefairy... just kidding, if you see one, you catch it, lol!

This post has gotten a little longer, so I'll cut it off there.

Well, that was quick. I got B1F done already, so instead of double-posting, I'll append it to this one. Here we go! Note that I grew Charmander/Mankey's levels before going into this so I would have a "fresh slate", so to speak.

Clefairy - 0
Paras - 23
Geodude - 7
Zubat - 12

When at first walked into this teeny tiny room and I saw that the list was the same, I immediately thought, "Eh... do I REALLY have to do this? It'll probably be the same as 1F...", but I was soon taught the value of due diligence. Paras is much more common on this floor! This is both good and bad, for the reasons listed below.
PROS:
1. This is a great place to train... but ONLY if you are training Charmander, Spearow or Pidgey! Why? Fire and Flying beat Bug. It's rather necessary to one-shot the Paras you'll be encountering.
2. If you really wanted Paras, you don't have to spend a long time searching the first floor for one.
CONS:
1. POISONPOWDER. Yeah, my Butterfree is weak... But Charmander isn't. Even once I started training Charmander instead of Butterfree, I still had to take frequent (and I mean FREQUENT) trips to the Pokemon Center to heal up. All that damage adds up, especially when you're taking damage even after you've taken down the last enemy. THIS is why you need to one-shot these. At one point I was confused from a Zubat, then got Poisoned. I wanted the confusion back! xD At least then it could wear itself off! But poison... What I wouldn't have done for some extra Escape Rope cash...
2. It's a bit far into the cave, I guess... IIRC, the levels are around the same as Viridian Forest Clearing, so you may be better off taking your Fire/Flying types there so you aren't bugged by status and Geodudes as much. But Mt. Moon has a Pokecenter right nearby, plus you may not want to walk all the way back to the forest, so... there's that.

Levels:
Butterfree: 13 -> 15
Charmander: 15 -> 16

Three levels. Three. Measly. Levels. Don't train Butterfree here. It is a waste of your time. xD If you have something to beat Paras, by all means, go wild on B1F!

One other little thing of note: I've had no trouble running away from anything, which is a great plus. Of course, I'm (understandably) rather overlevelled right now, so that helps. Haha!

Maybe B2F will have common Clefairy...Heh! It wouldn't be worth much if it did, I guess!

Final edit, I promise! It's been a while since I've had this much fun in PWO, lol. I'll just grind in areas I've already covered for the rest of the night so I'm not cluttering the page with this huge post... Is double-posting even against the rules here within reason? I suppose it doesn't matter too much, does it? Heheh...

Clefairy - 0
Sandshrew - 4
Paras - 3
Geodude - 15
Zubat - 35

Aha, I ought to have noticed this trend coming. 1F is Geodude, B1F is Paras, and B2F is Zubat. And to change it up a bit, we add on Sandshrew, yay! This bottom floor is great for my Butterfree. Poison-types and low special defense. Although they know Rock Throw down here... On that note, the levels are also higher down here in general. Above, I saw levels eights and such, but down here nothing goes below ten! My Oddish and Psyduck should still stick with 1F for Geodudes, but if you have Butterfree or Pikachu, hit up the Zubat floor! ...But, for the love... The game could've rewarded me with just ONE Clefairy for all this work... lol!

Levels:
Oddish: 16 -> 18
Butterfree: 15 -> 17

Four levels this time, but as I've come to realize, Butterfree is a fully-evolved Pokemon... so it takes a lot of EXP to level up... so I guess my complaints in the second section there aren't quite as valid, BUT! Poisoning is STILL terrible! Oddish got in some lucky shots on a few Geodude who spawned in a row after Butterfree got taken down by an untimely Rock Throw (Confusion 2HKOed all the OTHER Geodude, gosh darn it!).

Well, I haven't much else to say about this floor. I feel it's very balanced as far as spawns are concerned. Watch your flyers around Geodudes and try not to let all the Zubats confuse you.

On another one of my unrelated notes, I thought at first that using wild Pokemon to money grind was a terrible idea, but I've gone from around 220 money to over 3,000 in the time I've been doing B1F and B2F. I bought some pokeballs in the middle of 1F, which is what got me to 220. So, if you want QUICK money, do stick with NPCs (Or buy membership...), but if you plan to grind anyway, there's no need, because you'll get money as you go. Those 25 pokedollars per battle end up adding up!

When did I start writing a PWO guide? This was supposed to be about testing the new spawns! Oh well. Guess I'm tired. Maybe I SHOULD start writing a walkthrough! xD

Tha-Kram

nope, only the fishing/surfing part
I still think it's strange to see lvl 20s next to lvl 7s in the same pool though
even if the higher levels are for surfing only, it just doesn't seem right to me

the whole fishing system is messed up btw, Goldeen is suppose to be a hard catch, giving you a lot of XP
but now it's the easiest catch of all, making it the best training spot for fishing ingame

EDIT:
on my main account I went there with Cyndaquil to find a Mankey, not using any of my other pokemon
I didn't look at the time, I just trained as if I had to face Brock with it
once I found Mankey I left and trained in the Forest, didn't use the Clearing since I didn't find a Butterfree during the test

Rigaudon

Youngster
Kram: what would you prefer about Goldeen for fishing?

Buster: Would you prefer Zubat to be more common on the Paras floor? I'm also interested in any thoughts you might have about Route 24, Route 25, and Carved cavern. (If you wish to test those.)

Tha-Kram

I am used to a system where stronger players get more xp
mainly because they need more xp to gain a level

idk how fishing exactly works, but according to my experience the base xp = fishing xp
that means Goldeen gives 111 xp
I do realize that not all pokemon are available, like Dratini (67 xp) and Cavanha (88)
but Poliwag (77) and Horsea (83) would make a bit more sense

what I'm trying to say is:
I think the fishing xp should be taken into account when you create new maps
or is there some sort of update planned where lvl will be influencing the fishing xp?

Vendo

I found two Pikachus on my first day of playing and killed both of them without hesitation. I didn't know they were desirable.

I would also like to see more variety in the spawns and a wider level range, especially in the beginning where there are level 3-5s, and rarely 7s, causing you to get stuck there for a while if you chose Charmander.
Maybe it was just in the beginning, but I found that if you happened to choose Charmander as your starter, it is an unnecessary chore to get past Brock since you're obliged to get a few Water/Grass types. Choosing Charmander more than doubles the time it takes get past Pewter, and what makes it worse is the immersion-breaking, pointless 24hr wait if you failed your first try; you could at least make it 1 hour instead so people without patience don't rage quit early on.
The whole beginning is pretty off-putting to many new players seeing as how Charmander is the most popular starter.

Meanwhile, Bulbasaur and Squirtle starters move on like nothing happened.

BusterBlazeFox

Website
www.youtube.com
Rigaudon said:
Kram: what would you prefer about Goldeen for fishing?

Buster: Would you prefer Zubat to be more common on the Paras floor? I'm also interested in any thoughts you might have about Route 24, Route 25, and Carved cavern. (If you wish to test those.)

Haha nooooooo, adding more confusion onto the poison would just make things worse, to be honest. A better solution would be to just add Antidotes as an item or something. But that's unrelated to this. I think Mt. Moon is fine how it is, with each floor having a different focus. My only other thought about it is that it seems a bit strange B2F has higher levels and Sandshrew while the other two... don't. xD Not entirely sure what I would do about that, though. As a veteran Pokemon player I had no trouble getting past Brock and all, and I happen to like grinding in RPGs, so even though I started a new account to help test, I've ended up overleveled and I don't have much of a reference point for how high the wild pokemon's levels should be. Perhaps I'll try to tone down the actual grinding a bit, although that is halfway the point of testing the new spawns to begin with, isn't it?

And I do plan to do the next few areas as well, though I'll have to be quick about it since I've only got two days now. :3 Suppose I'll get on that, then!

Rigaudon

Youngster
Block 3 is now open for live testing.
•Route 5
•Route 6
•Vermilion City
•Route 9
•Route 10

Orean

Website
twitter.com
As Rigaudon already announced, the next crop of areas is now live for testing.

I've reset the poll on it; it's been cleared of all votes. If you've voted prior to the poll reset specifically for this block of areas, I would advise to revote, since votes counted towards this area are only being tallied up in this newer poll.

BusterBlazeFox

Website
www.youtube.com
Life ended up getting in the way of testing the rest of block two in time for block three, but is it still considered open for suggestions, or does this officially mean it's now "locked"? If so, I suppose I'll move on to block 3 areas! :)

Tha-Kram

don't worry, I'm just starting on block 2 :p
well, I finished it with my Ivysaur, so I have 2 more starters to go
but those are the harder ones, because they are not that effective against Misty
I might need to train them first :S
Charmeleon shouldn't be the problem, he already has a grass type I can use
but the squirtle account may even need some hunting before I can face Misty...

Orean

Website
twitter.com
I would like to post, as a heads-up, that we have a much taller-than-usual task lined up for our next block, and thus we would like to garner as many testers as we can for the next crop of areas!

We are continuing with our usual pattern of releasing blocks in the successive line of where you'd usually travel in the region (you may have noticed that the second block is where you would have traveled after the first block, when doing the line of gyms in Kanto, no?), but we will be releasing several more areas in this block than what are usually released per block; we would appreciate as many testers as possible, in order for this more massive span of areas to be fully evaluated by you as players. :)

More details will unfold as we come near the block's release—no ETA has been solidified for it yet, but I would like to post in the meantime to stress that there is much more content waiting to be released and tested for this block than we've released for past blocks.

BusterBlazeFox said:
Life ended up getting in the way of testing the rest of block two in time for block three, but is it still considered open for suggestions, or does this officially mean it's now "locked"? If so, I suppose I'll move on to block 3 areas! :)

To answer you, and anyone else who may be wondering about whether the door has been closed for the previous blocks' feedback: we are still fielding feedback for past block, and we will still be doing so for some time even after new blocks opened—specifically a 2-week grace period from when the next block opened; changes to the area will be considered permanent after that grace period has passed.

For example: block 3 was opened 1 day ago, thus we're still open to changes on block 2 for 13 more days.

It should be stressed that, while we will still accept feedback for it in the allotted grace period, changes to those areas won't be focused on immediately; focus is primarily placed on the current block that we have open at the time.

I hope this clears it up. :)

killanaddict

few questions:
1.according to the pokewiki there is two HR(elekid and coffing wich in general R in Burnt Tower) poks in location "Power Plant". is it so? if it so then why? all location have one HR,1-2 VR,1-2 R and 2-4 C poks. so i wasted two days, trying to catch elekid and got two koffing instead of at least one elekid :\
2. i typed /catch in route 10 and saw electabuzz in list. really? according to cartoon they only appear near power plants in storm,if im not mistaken, so it would be great, if they could be caught in thunderstorm
3. in route 10 only psyduck can be caught by surfing, little bit bigger variety is necessery i think

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
killanaddict said:
few questions:
1.according to the pokewiki there is two HR(elekid and coffing wich in general R in Burnt Tower) poks in location "Power Plant". is it so? if it so then why? all location have one HR,1-2 VR,1-2 R and 2-4 C poks. so i wasted two days, trying to catch elekid and got two koffing instead of at least one elekid :\

Both these areas are outside the current test area so off-topic for this post. The Power Plant spawns will be changed along with the next Block release in a week or two however.

2. i typed /catch in route 10 and saw electabuzz in list. really? according to cartoon they only appear near power plants in storm,if im not mistaken, so it would be great, if they could be caught in thunderstorm

Route 10 is right next to the Power Plant, that is why there is a chance of a rare encounter there with electabuzz.

3. in route 10 only psyduck can be caught by surfing, little bit bigger variety is necessery i think

There are other pokemon in the water there but not all can surf. It's not our intention to put extra pokemon on any map just for the sake of variety, there must be good reason to do so.

killanaddict

HitmonFonty said:
Route 10 is right next to the Power Plant, that is why there is a chance of a rare encounter there with electabuzz.
sorry for offtop
HR?
testing only with low lvl poks?

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
killanaddict said:
HitmonFonty said:
sorry for offtop
HR?
testing only with low lvl poks?

Rates are not released and when they are the old names will not be used. For now at least it's up to the testers to hunt for electabuzz and build up an idea of the rarity. For this purpose any team will do- no matter how you hunt for it the feedback will be welcome.

Also do try to forget the old rate names when referring to rarities in general While I understand this is hard while we have given you no real guidelines for their replacement, the whole point is that they weren't really very accurate indications ofthe actual spawn rate of most of the rare pokemon in the game. As yet nothing is set in stone regarding the changes in this regard so it could well be a player that comes up with the change we are looking for.

killanaddict

Route 10
2 hours,80+ rhydon
spearow 144
sandshrew 172
sandslash 5
voltorb 9
raticate 1
fearow 2

2 hours,50+ ursaring
spearow 160
sandshrew 199
sandslash 3
voltorb 5
raticate 8
fearow 1

BusterBlazeFox

Website
www.youtube.com
Life continues to get in the way, haha, but as long as Block 2 is open, I'll go do them! Although I'll be quick, so I get get onto the Block 3 areas! :) Just gotta wait for the, uh, recent issue to be resolved so I can get online to do that. ^_^;

Tha-Kram

almost done with block 2 now, and I noticed the same issue is bugging me
there is only 1 common on certain maps
I think the intention is to make several pokemon common, but if you see geodudes 70% of the time and let's say zubat 12,5% and paras 10%, I can not rate those last 2 as commons

same happened with V forest, Caterpie and Weedle were supposed to be commons but the Caterpie were overwhelming
it would be nice that if you compare the pokemon you want to be common, to make sure that the ratio is more than 2:1
otherwise it will get to monotonous, walking through all those maps

1 more EDITion about block 2:
why electabuzz and not Elekid?
as a collector it feels like you only get half a pokemon, and that with a rarity HR (I assume)

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
In the early areas there isn't much hunting, it's more training your pokes up to face the gyms. So the reason behind making caterpie more common than weedle is the annoying poison sting factor. It has such a high chance of poisoning your pokemon that having it too common would mean a lot of return trips to the pc until said pokemon is fast enough to run away reliably or one-hit the weedle. Being the first real solid training area in the game I think it's better to see a few more caterpie than have to be continually running back and forth healing.

In regards to Mt. Moon Rig already explained I think the reasoning behind making zubat more common later and geodude earlier. The same principle basically, allowing one type of pokemon more ease in training up.. less need for switch training to avoid getting poisoned etc.

As I said in IRC, baby pokemon are available for vouchers, and are less likely to be found in the wild- they would need a more protected environment.

Tha-Kram

Rig didn't explain, the server went down right after he updated it *blames Lee*
I understand that not all pokemon can have the same rarity as a common, but I think as a new player it is nicer to see 2 different commons on a map than only seeing 1 all the time
of course they will prefer to see the "weaker" common, or in MT Moon the "slower" common
as I said before, the ratios you are using makes those maps kind of monotonous

about that baby pokemon, you do realize that the prize is supposed to be the evolution item right?
Elekid is nowhere near the value of 7 voucher by itself
other than that, you are removing the aspect of hunting
the whole reason I like this game is because I can hunt a great variety of pokemon
locking them away in an egg and removing them from the wild is just wrong

but that's just my opininion, if you want to do it that way I wish you best of luck
I'm out...

lucky for you I already did Block 3, and got a few comments about that:
route 6 is really messed up
it is overcrowded and has a strange range of levels (12-20), with only commons and rares
commons:
Snubbull-Meowth-Rattata
Oddish vs. Bellsprout

rares:
Abra
Magnemite
Jigglypufff

I do like the fact that you get pokemon together with a feud
but now you have 2 fueds + a bunch of rares + pidgey
I noticed that Magnemite has been removed from route 10, so it is nice that you can still catch it before the electric gym
abra and jigglypuff on the other hand are also catchable on other maps, abra even on 2 maps
maybe consider to remove 1 of those from the map, together with pidgey
or remove on of the feuds and relocate them somewhere else

about the levels, pokemon on route 24/25 have higher levels than route 6!?
and a range of 12-20 is quite a lot, it would fit better if you made it 14-20

EDIT:
there was also a person who didn't get enough rep before brock, he kept losing from those NPCs (due to a bug)
do all NPCs at V forest have the 2 weeks cooldown time?
if so, maybe consider making 1 or 2 with 24 hours again to prevent people from getting stuck before the 1st gym