Broken Moves

Tecknician

I would like players to provide a list of broken, or missing moves. We will see about trying to fix them.

Please use the fallowing format:

Move Name:
Move type(fire, grass, normal):
What it currently does:

What makes it broken:

What needs to be done to make it work:

MrFlare2

Youngster
Move Name: Acid Armor
Move type(fire, grass, normal): Poison
What makes it broken: It doesnt increase defense by two stages, just does minimal damage, and is just bad.
What needs to be done to make it work: Raise its defense by two stages, rather than one, AKA 20 points. "Pokemon used Acid Armor! Defense rose by 20!"

Move Name: Volt Tackle
Move Type: It's electric type attack,
What Makes it Broken: It currently does not exist in PWO, so that rules out a decent move for Pika. Also i believe it should exist considering it was there during third gen, so itd make sense considering this has an engine similar to third gen.
What needs to be done to make it work: Just making the move would be enough, and having it as a relearn for Pika via Pdex. Like LVL 1: Pikachu, Volt Tackle, or something of the sort.

Move Name: All Weight Based Moves:
Move Type: Weight-like,
What Makes it Broken: Weight isn't currently implemented, so it can't work within the game,
What needs to be done to make it work: Adding a weight stat, varying from about 50 to 200. What would happen is Snorlax gets a weight of 200 or so as a stat type set within the game. The Weight will go under speed, and will show the amount of weight. Moves like Automize, and others will lower the type of weight, sort of like Defense. The product would be like: "Steelix has used Automize! Steelix's weight has decreased by 20!" And the Average of Heavy Slam will work similar to moves that lower defense. So the lower the weight, the less damage, the high damage being at about 100, and the lowest being 20.
Will edit later

HeavyPetter

OK, nice initiative... I'll start off with a few

Name: Recover
Type: Normal
Does: Nothing
Error: Does not regenerate HP
Fix: The move should regenerate HP by a mechanism similar to that used already for leech seed

Name: Selfdestruct
Does: Faints the user (But by a strange mechanism that may cause bugs)
Error: Does not do damage to opponent
Fix: Should faint the user and do damage to the opponent

Name: Explosion
See Selfdestruct

Name: Low-kick
Type: Fighting
Does: Damage
Error: Does fixed damage
Fix: Give every pokemon a weight-value if they don't have one already. Adjust move power based on that value

Name: Electro-ball
Type: Electric
Error/Fix: Similar to low-kick

Name: Magnitude
Type: Ground
Error: Does fixed damage
Fix: Should do random variable damage

Name: Dream Eater
Type: Psychic
Error 1: Does damage regardless of sleep status
Error 2: Does not regenerate users hp
Fix: Should be obvious from the errors

Name: Rest
Error 1: Does not put user to sleep
Error 2: Does not regenerate user hp
Fix: see errors

Name: Snore
Error: Damage independent of sleep status
Fix: Should only do damage if user is sleeping

That should keep you busy for a while, just pm if you want some more :)

OGPokemaster

Tecknician said:
OGPokemaster said:
not sure if u know about this just though id post it just in case u didnt............http://iblamelee.co.uk/pwo/wiki/index.p ... oken_Moves
Not descriptive enough for me. "Move does not currently exist in PWO." doesn't help.

Lol never noticed it said that before XD, anyways:

Move Name:Sandstorm
Move type:rock
What it currently does: causes small amount of damage
What makes it broken:does not cause damage every turn
What needs to be done to make it work: Pokémon who are not of the Steel-, Rock-, or Ground-types will be damaged 1/16 of their maximum HP at the end of each turn,lasts 5 turns.

Move Name:Hail
Move type:Ice
What it currently does: Nothing
What makes it broken: Has no effect at all, not even a small amount of damage
What needs to be done to make it work: Pokemon that are not ice-type are damaged at the end of each turn,during hail blizzard has 100% accuracy.
Synthesis, Morning Sun and Moonlight will recover only ¼ of the user's maximum HP, Castform and the move Weather Ball should become Ice-type.

Move name: Hidden Power
Move Type: Normal
What it currently does: Does damage with 50 base Power
What Makes it Broken: Doesnt do variable damage, Type is only normal
What needs to be done to make it work: Should do damage using a type and base power determined by the user's IVs.

Will edit as i think of more

Tecknician

Please fill out the format I provide completely. Be as descriptive as possible.

CoolKnightST

Name: Tailwind
Type: Flying/Status
Error: Does not double the speed stat for the user and all of the Pokémon in the user's party for 3 turns (4 for V generation)
Fix: Tailwind is an multi turn move and in order to fix it an client modification is required in order to let an mechanism work for it. And second fix is an mechanism that allows to give this effect to the rest of the party. Since both of them require an client sided modifcation this move can't be fixed for the moment. Temp Fix: Double the speed of the user. Fix Value: Mid, It increase the value of catch-starters in an PvP environment.

Extra: Butterfree, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, Articuno, Xatu, Murkrow, Suicune and Pelipper learn this move by leveling up.
Source: Here

psychosamm

Youngster
I'll just take the liberty to give the uses of some of the moves listed in the wiki as "does not currently exist in pwo" and could be used by pokemon other than legendaries.I apologize if any of these have already been added, i'm just going by the wiki.

Move Name: Acupressure
Move type: Normal
What it currently does: Nonexistent
What makes it broken: Doesn't exist
What needs to be done to make it work: Raise a random stat of the user's by 2 stages. 100 accuracy.
What makes it broken: Above
What needs to be fixed: Inflicts 50 damage, as well as resetting all stats raised by moves back to 0, or how they were before the stat-altering move was used. 100 accuracy.
What needs to be fixed: Does 50 damage, power doubles when opponent has a status ailment. 100 accuracy.
What needs to be fixed: Does 65 damage with 90 accuracy, has a 30% chance to lower the enemy's accuracy.
What needs to be fixed: Does 60 damage with 100 accuracy. Lowers the enemy's speed by one stage.
What needs to be fixed: (Shellder can actually learn this, that's why i'm adding this one) 75 Damage with 95 accuracy. 50% chance of lowering the enemy's defense by one stage.
_______
Move Name: Sludge Wave
Type: Poison
What it does: Nonexistent
What needs to be fixed: 95 damage with 100 accuracy. 10% chance of poisoning the enemy.

That's it for me for now. I might add more later. :)

CrimsonSapphire

Move Name: Rain Dance
Move type(fire, grass, normal): Water

What makes it broken: No effect, Fire type moves still deal 100%, Solarbeam deal 100%, Water type deal 100%, Thunder accuracy 70%.

What needs to be done to make it work: Half all fire type moves, Reduce Solarbeam damage by half, Water type moves deal 150%, Thunder accuracy 100% - All for 5 turn

Move Name: Sunny Day
Move type(fire, grass, normal): Fire

What makes it broken: No effect, Fire type moves still deal 100%, Water type deal 100%, Thunder accuracy is not reduced.

What needs to be done to make it work: Fire type moves deal 150%, Half water type moves, Thunder have 50% accuracy, Solarbeam attack in 1 turn ( If it fixed ) - All for 5 turn

Mega.S

Move Name: Giga Impact
Move type(fire, grass, normal): normal
What it currently does: 100 power and 90% accuracy
What makes it broken: his real power are 150 and 90% accuracy

Move Name: Thrash
What it currently does: 95 power 95% accuracy
What makes it broken: his real power are 120 and 100% accuracy

**I have report this 2 now becouse they place Tauros as no competitive battler, he only have this 2 good ataks and 2 have lower power, now no one use tauros for battle, and he is one of favourite pokemons of all players...

psychosamm

Youngster
HOF69 said:
Sludge Wave actually does work psycho. :)
Ahh, well like i said in my post i was just going by what moves the wiki said were non existent.

Friko

Move: EVERY stat manipulating move

Problem and how to fix:

please please please change the increase and decrease of stats in-battle, with moves like calm mind and whatnot.

Currently they go up by increments of 10, which isn't correct, and as such, these moves are completely un-useable
for instance, a move like agility (+2 speed) raises the stat by 20 points, which makes it un-useable.

In reality (poke games), every +1 is equal to an increase of 50% of the pokemons stat.
for instance, alakazam with 100 sp.attk uses calm mind (+1 sp.attk/sp.def), its sp.attk is now 150, or if +2 (nasty plot) would have raised it by 100%, and so on.
This only applies to increases and can happen a maximum of 6 times. The written stat is what is used in this multiplier, so an alakazam with 100 (written) sp.attk, maxes at 400 (unwritten) sp.attk.
In other words: W= written stat, X= increase, Y=Final X can equal (.5 (or +1)), (1 (or +2)),( 1.5 (or +3)),( 2(or +4)),(2.5 (or +5)),(3 (or +6))
The equation= WX + X = Y

Decreases in Stats require a little more math, as the interval in which the Percentage decreases is divided by 2 the second time and then applied, then rounded.
The initial decrease is 33.3%, so, from 100% (or the written number), the stat now goes down to 66.7% of its original (-1), then if this were to happen again, the decrease is halved (33.3/2)=16.65, 16.7 (rounded) is then taken from the 66.7, leaving 50% (-2), then the number does not split again, subtracting 16.7% once again from the now 50% of the written stat, we now have 33.3% of the written (-3), If decreased again we subtract halve of the last interval (16.7/2)=8.35, so 8.3% is subtracted from 33.3%, making the new unwritten 25% of the written stat (-4), this occurs again with a decrease of 8.3 again if lowered again, making the unwritten 16.7% of the written(-5), and finally, the last decrease is a decrease halve of the prior decrease (8.3/2)= 4.15, as such 4.2% is subtracted from 16.7%, making the unwritten stat of the formerly opposing pokemon, only 12.6% of its written stat.

for instance: Dugtrio used growl (2 times) on Dragonite (base 134 so ill use 134 attk), 134 x .333 (or 33.3% of 134) = 44.62 (45 (whole number)), so 134-45
the dragonite now has 89 attk this is (-1), which is unwritten of course, then a decrease again, relating to 16.7% of written, therefore the decrease of dragonites strength is decreased by (134x.167), or 22.378, or 22, so 22 points are deducted from the 89 unwritten, making the new unwritten attack 67, or 50% of the written, 134/2= 67. This can continue on a total of 6 times or -6, with dragonite finishing with a minimum of 16.884, (or 17 unwritten attack power)
in other words: W= Written N= last used interval (initially 0) D= % interval X= unwritten Y= Final

Brain too fried to come up with equation, just.....try it.

MasterOfTheHunt

Tmcm said:

**I have report this 2 now becouse they place Tauros as no competitive battler, he only have this 2 good ataks and 2 have lower power, now no one use tauros for battle, and he is one of favourite pokemons of all players...

I would like to note, players if you are going to reply to this thread make sure you are 100% correct in what makes it broken.
Sorry to use you as an example but you failed to state that it should also take a turn to recharge so you miss a turn after the move for giga impact, thrash will also cause the user to become confused after 3-4 turns.

HOF69

Tmcm said:

There's a reason that Thrash and Giga Impact are as they are now and don't have their original power. When they were at their 5th generation power, Tauros was vastly overpowered (as much as Slaking if not more). Tauros was one of the favorite Pokemon of so many players only because it was so strong, just like Slaking is now. As Dovee said, if Giga and Thrash are going to have their 150 and 120 powers, they need to have their proper side effects. Not including those aspects would just start the Tauros spam in battle all over again, which I doubt is something the staff want. Thrash, Giga Impact, Hyper Beam, Outrage....these moves aren't broken, they're nerfed to make battling more fair.

Mega.S

HOF69 said:
There's a reason that Thrash and Giga Impact are as they are now and don't have their original power. When they were at their 5th generation power, Tauros was vastly overpowered (as much as Slaking if not more). Tauros was one of the favorite Pokemon of so many players only because it was so strong, just like Slaking is now. As Dovee said, if Giga and Thrash are going to have their 150 and 120 powers, they need to have their proper side effects. Not including those aspects would just start the Tauros spam in battle all over again, which I doubt is something the staff want. Thrash, Giga Impact, Hyper Beam, Outrage....these moves aren't broken, they're nerfed to make battling more fair.

People dont like tauros becouse his power people like tauros becouse he is a cool pokemon in series, all people know tauros and most of them never play pokemon games...

Before you see Tauros spam in battle, now you dont see no one.. I think giga impact need at last 120 power to make Place Tauros having his original power.. Becouse Tauros Tauros is not good in def and Spdef .. he have good speed and only make 1 or 2 ataks.. so he need have a good atak move...

Tauros reduction power as 150 to 100... that is too much...
Other thing is that tauros dont have super efective moves like kangaskan and ursaring (like Outrage, reversal and Hammer Arm)

G

Move Name: Attract
Move type(fire, grass, normal): Normal
What it currently does: Nothing.
What makes it broken: Meh, theres no gender in PWO..
What needs to be done to make it work: Put gender in PWO and....when male vs female, if the female poke uses attract, the male poke should have the chance to fall in love with the female poke.

Move Names: Protect,
Move type: Normal
What makes it broken: It does...nothing.
What needs to be done to make it work: When using the move protect, the pokemon should have the chance to avoid an attack after using it.

Move Name: Detect
Move type: Fighting
What makes it broken: It does...nothing.
What needs to be done to make it work: When using the move detect, the pokemon should have the chance to avoid an attack after using it.

FroggeReborn

Move Name: Transform
Move type(fire, grass, normal): Normal
What its supposed to do: Transform into the opposing Pokemon with the same moves and HP. Only Ditto and Mew know this move.

crenel

Youngster
g122 said:

Hi,

I'm the one that altered all of the statistic-altering moves to use increments of 10. Originally our system used heavy variances and randomness -- paired with inconsistent distribution/assignment -- to determine how effective certain skills were (or weren't). For example, both the move Defense Curl and Harden raise the user's Defense. In our original system, Defense Curl would raise the user's Defense stat by anywhere from 3 to 70 something, while Harden would occasionally raise it by over 200.

As you can imagine, this made leveling up especially difficult. Although Metapod rewards a large amount of experience whenever it is defeated, in our old environment a player would earn more experience in less time by fleeing from wild Metapods and attacking wild Caterpies instead. I wasn't happy with that system, as it essentially was rewarding the players that fled from Metapods while punishing those players who didn't. Metapod is an uncommon encounter in the Viridian Forest, and in my view should be an exciting and desirable encounter; it essentially translates into an experience boost for the player every so often. Our old environment worked counter to this mindset.

Additionally, Pokemon such as Rattata were decimating newer players with Tail Whip, which suffered from many of the same problems as Harden. It would often lower a player's starter Pokemon's defense several dozen levels into the negative range, making simple moves like Tackle one-hit knock out nightmares. Level 2 Rattata should never be taking level 6 Squirtles from full health to no health with a single Tackle.

All of these factors combined made facing Brock an unwelcoming experience for new players. Paired with our rather extensive cooldown period after losing to gym leaders, many new players found themselves in a frustrating position less than 90 minutes into their journey. One of the ways in which I was able to directly improve the starting experience new players have was to address some of the problems moves such as Harden and Screech were causing (both of which are present on Brock's Onix).

Although the current version of our battle system is no where near our final version, it is a definite and resounding improvement over the old system. Removing a lot of the variance and randomness directly translates into more skill-based and competitive battling, as it is easier to track changes. Yes, some Pokemon like Alakazam may be over-benefiting from Defensive boosts right now; and yes, some Pokemon such as Chansey may be suffering from sub-normal Special Defensive boosts right now; but overall the system is a lot more controlled and player-friendly.

I understand that the system should ideally work based on a fractional increase/decrease, and that it should be limited to six stages of difference. However, please understand that I am not a programmer nor have I ever been a developer for our server. I simply did, with the resources that I had available to me, the best I could to directly improve the overall experience our game offers for all players. When I did this update I also went through and made edits to every single move in our database, and tried to make as many of them function as closely to the official games' versions as I could.

The combination of a wider variety of moves and a more stable battle environment directly made many Pokemon more useful (some for the first time). While it isn't a perfect system, I consider that a big win for everyone in my book. While some of the problems still exist (such as Rattata still being able to wipe starter Pokemon with one Tackle), they are much more infrequent and a lot more manageable. They have morphed from a frustrating constant into infrequent anomalies. I hope you understand that Tecknician is likewise limited in what he can do, as he is not a server developer. He will simply do the best with what he has available to improve upon what I have already done.

- crenel