Staff: Client Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Hello there.

Following on going discussions between Staff, it has been decided to open up positions for Developers. Currently we're only looking only to expand on the client side of PWO, with a follow up for server in the future.

What we're expecting from applicants?

All applicants must have a basic understanding of English as you will be required to communicate to other staff members. You must be a team player as ideally, you will be working alongside another client developer and the remaining staff members for Pokemon World Online. You must also have an account that isn't banned.

Currently we're open-minded about programming languages however any applicants experienced in a language that is supported beyond the Windows operating system are likely to be preferred over other candidates.

What we require from you?

If you wish to apply for the role of Developer, please provide the following:

• Information regarding relevant experience
  • A basic world emulation for which source code should be provided
    • Must be able to walk with multiple layers
    • Video recording showcasing the emulation you've programmed
To send your application, PM Bluerise via the Forums with the subject 'DEV'.

We will be accepting applications till 25th November. Applicants will be kept updated via PM on the status of their application.

Blue, Jinji ~

NinjaBr

Banned
Good Luck to All Subscribers, and that the new member of staf falicidades bring many to the game and all events Months !

The good new is that the event does not leave the game monotonous ! ;)

Angel13346

Id like to try but I have very little experience in coding/scripting or w/e you call it now. I have a little bit of understanding but not enough to be of any use. Though I plan to get some training in that field,But thats still a ways off yet. Plus I have quite a bit going on in my personal life right now so I am unable to be around PWO much right now anyways. ^_^ Best of luck to those who are trying out though.

Merse

Youngster
Wow! I didn't think that there will be any news soon which would outclass Mt. Silver, but this is :)
I can't apply to the job for several reasons, but I'm still very excited about this news!

Tom210

I should totally apply ;P
^sarcasm incase none of you picked that up.

In all seriousness I like that you are doing this and hope you find someone who can really help with this whole client situation.

CoolKnightST

Finaly some action on the client, I personaly would suggest for also requite some html5 developpers. Those will come in handy in the future. It will also make it possible to play it more easy on other devices like iPod etc.

Betrayed227

I would apply to this, however I'm not super skilled, I do know HTML, OOP for both Java,and C++, along with teaching myself C#. However it helps to know what the current game is based from, and what specifically they are looking for rather than being like a Growlithe and chasing my tail around in circles all day.

CoolKnightST

Betrayed227 said:
I would apply to this, however I'm not super skilled, I do know HTML, OOP for both Java,and C++, along with teaching myself C#. However it helps to know what the current game is based from, and what specifically they are looking for rather than being like a Growlithe and chasing my tail around in circles all day.
The game is C++ and the client is "(sorry forgot that one, it's mention somewhere in an topic but is not one you mentioned above)".

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Betrayed227 said:
Except that such information has been posted several times on the Forum...

CoolKnightST said:
The game is C++ and the client is...
The current client is Visual Basic with DirectX Graphics Acceleration, but we would need to start over anyway so we are open to all alternatives. Java and the Unity engine have both had minor interest from staff, but we will consider anything for which we feel a solid proof-of-concept has been provided; and that works on a wide variety of platforms.

For the record, previous clients were Visual Basic entirely. There was also at one point a project to port it to Java, which had minor success before the developer abandoned it due to lack of time.

Mantis

Youngster
Website
www.technopathic.org
well jinji, java IS a resource/ram hog.

personally Unity is the best option, me and my friends taht are making our droid apps and our MMOs are using Unity for our projects. its nice.

Betrayed227

Fantu said:
http://xinutec.org/~pippijn/home/opinions/negative/java

I would like to point out the 3rd directory, "opinions".

Jinji said:
Except that such information has been posted several times on the Forum...

I understand that, however it was easier to find out this way saying I have only been a member of this community for a little under a week or so now.

Mantis said:
well jinji, java IS a resource/ram hog.

personally Unity is the best option, me and my friends taht are making our droid apps and our MMOs are using Unity for our projects. its nice.

Java can be a resource hog, if not programmed right. as for Unity, I have no experience in the area so I do not have any information regarding this.

Ssfiril

well, i disagree. Java is made for portabilty, not for speed. As you surely know the jvm, which allows java to be super-portable, also drags its speed down to shameful levels(see minecraft for example). Anyway, this is just my opinion, i'm a newcomer here, but since i'm studying computer science at university i couldn't resist the urge of joining the discussion XD

Surgate

ugh unity >.> that thing on a browser game overheats my video card to over 120C° in less than 10 mins while ANY other similiar games but with java or anything else don't, lol not even TES:Skyrim on medium setting does that to me how in the world....... >_> bah i have yet to understand y my pc just refuses unity engine but anyhting else is fine lol

Status
Not open for further replies.