Revamped Dragons Den quest - Removal of water lab

mad30

Youngster
When Mt Silver was released the dragons den quest was closed to anyone not having stated it. I can now disclose to you why that was done.

After re-assessing different elements of the game, 1 of the major things we decided that needs to be modified was the dragons den quest, here is a few reasons why.

We decided the story surrounding it was loosely tied together and the majority of it was unneeded and only their to make the quest longer. This type of quest embodies the idea of quantity over quality. I strive for the quest in pwo to be as high in quality as possible given the limitations I have to work with. The dragons den quest was simply did not measure up to the quality I am proud of.

Also we looked at the quests that were currently in game and we found a pattern. Most of the quest at the time of the assessment came either early on in the game, or after you received all 16 badges. We decide that we needed more quests in the middle and one of the quest we thought was great for this was the dragons den quest. With that in mind I redesign the quest so you do not have to venture to kanto in order to complete. In the future this quest will only require 8 badges to be able to start, that future will be when we do a similar rewrite to the cerulean cave quest. The cerulean cave remake will make it so you need not venture into johto and will be able to be completed after received the 8 kanto badges. This will leave the Mt Silver quest as the only quest for after you get all 16 badges. This reflects the chain of events done in the handhelds.

With the rewriting of the Dragons den quest, 1 key element that has define the quest will removed. This is obtaining a dratini skin from a dratini. The new quest has a part where you need to obtain a dragon skin but you will not be required to kill a dratini. Because of this change we have decided as compensation for those who have already completed the quest, they enjoyed a period of a lower encounter rate of bagon. Yes bagons encounter rate has decreased and is now more difficult to encounter. We have also added slowking as a normal HR encounter in return.

Furthermore we decided to remove the science water lab. There are a few different reasons behind it and I'll be honest for a few of those reasons. 1) It was under utilized and is nothing more than a place to find pokemon. It's as if when it was made the current staff just went, "Hey lets just add a random place to add dratini and a few 3rd gen pokes". I do not support these types of maps and ideology in pwo. 2) It extremely boring to hunt there compared to everywhere else, which hunting is already boring. Instead of redoing the spawns, we decided it was a better idea just to remove it completely as it should never been added in game to start with. 3) We are planning on replacing it with something else in the distant future. Hopefully you will see what we are replacing it with next winter.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Any players who were in the Lab, were moved over to Pokecenter 6. ~

Dovee

Youngster
No water lab = Woot!

Noob Tears = Woot!

Sala and Drago prices will go up = Woot!

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I never visited the Water Lab any time after the time I originally unlocked it - it wasn't an interesting place to be in and it was too difficult to catch anything - so I am very pleased with this news even if it's not actually a surprise to me.

Gjole

Is the bagon counter decreased with this update, or it will be decreased when the new DD quest comes out?

mad30

Youngster
Gjole said:
Is the bagon counter decreased with this update, or it will be decreased when the new DD quest comes out?

The new dd quest is out.

BlameAoD

mad30 said:
Because of this change we have decided as compensation for those who have already completed the quest, they enjoyed a period of a lower encounter rate of bagon. Yes bagons encounter rate has decreased and is now more difficult to encounter. We have also added slowking as a normal HR encounter in return.

What about those of us who stay in the water in DD I didn't even know about this and continued my normal S Dratini hunt in water of DD the whole time.... :'(
Also I did this quest before they made it easier to begin with I had to "help 3 noobs" when I did the quest... That was annoyingly hard to explain to new players that I needed their help

Casablanca

I was complaining the other day about how boring Dratini's hunting is... I'm glad the quest has been reviewed. And I agree, the Water Lab is plain boring especially that you need to finish the fisherman's hat quest in order to gain access to it...
Also, making some quests require only 8 badges instead of 16 is already great. :p
One of the best quests IMO is the one where you get 10.000 pokeMoney and 3 Escape Ropes. It helped me at the begining, this is the kind of quests you should make in the futur IMO. :

mad30

Youngster
Casablanca said:
One of the best quests IMO is the one where you get 10.000 pokeMoney and 3 Escape Ropes. It helped me at the begining, this is the kind of quests you should make in the futur IMO. :
We are always trying to make sure we get a good balance with quests. When mt silver was released I added two beginners quest. The next stage after redoing ccave is quests when you have 3-7 badges, or 11-15 badges.

KstersSlade

Because of this change we have decided as compensation for those who have already completed the quest, they enjoyed a period of a lower encounter rate of bagon. Yes bagons encounter rate has decreased and is now more difficult to encounter. We have also added slowking as a normal HR encounter in return.

So was the rate increased during that period of time and now put back to where it was before DD quest was closed or did it stay the same during that period of time and now its harder then ever?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
You know, I was just thinking - unless the client receives such a feature itself in the future, perhaps a cool feature for adding to the Playerdex in the future would be a Quest Diary and/or Status check?

sad-trainer

You guys have no idea on how "sad" I am after reading this "tragic" news about DD quest. :(

Thank you all PWO Staff and congratulations for the great work done so far. I do believe this decision is a great step for improving the game experience.

BTW, for someone who already have started the quest, before the removal, and haven't completed some of the steps (for instance, getting Dratini skin), it will be optional continue the quest or it would still be mandatory complete all quest lines?

BlameAoD

I was wondering, (not trying to be a pest or anything) if there was anyway you could make Slowking available in the water at DD as well? I mean it is a water/psychic type right? I'd really appreciate it if you would at least consider it because I spend all my time in the water there... I literally only leave to sell/buy pokes or rebattle trainers.

mad30

Youngster
sad_trainer said:
You guys have no idea on how "sad" I am after reading this "tragic" news about DD quest. :(

Thank you all PWO Staff and congratulations for the great work done so far. I do believe this decision is a great step for improving the game experience.

BTW, for someone who already have started the quest, before the removal, and haven't completed some of the steps (for instance, getting Dratini skin), it will be optional continue the quest or it would still be mandatory complete all quest lines?
I am going to add a npc in a few days that will allow anyone to do the new quest.

mad30

Youngster
KstersSlade said:

So was the rate increased during that period of time and now put back to where it was before DD quest was closed or did it stay the same during that period of time and now its harder then ever?
Stayed the same and is harder than ever. More or less those who completed the old quest had an exclusive period of a more easy to find bagon.

sad-trainer

mad30 said:
sad_trainer said:

I am going to add a npc in a few days that will allow anyone to do the new quest.

So it means that, by now, the quest is not doable right?

Thank you for answer and congratulations again!

Naero

sad_trainer said:
mad30 said:
sad_trainer said:

So it means that, by now, the quest is not doable right?

Thank you for answer and congratulations again!

To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), if you already completed the objective which requires you to obtain the Dratini's Skin, you can only resume the original version of the Dragon's Den quest, and wait approximately a few days until you can begin the new edition of the Dragon's Den quest. Otherwise, if you were at an earlier progress point (before obtaining the Dratini Skin), you're able to begin the new edition now.