Tecknical updates

Dragon16

Youngster
Tecknician said:
9/10
psychic acc reduced to 95.
Why?? on bulbapedia it is 90 power with 100% accuracy, not to mention that it still bugged raises the opponents spdef once in a while... It should be put back to 100% accuracy.

Tendou

I don't agree psychic being 95% acc it doesnt have sense.

But i do agree reducing moves' accuracy that doesnt hit the target in that round in handhelds or moves that needs a special condition to hit for moves like Solarbeam, Last Resort. It isnt about the pokes who owns it, just treat that lower accuracy as "recharge replacement" for those conditions. So a solarbeam can miss in first try to looks like "pokemon is absorving sun's light".

Tecknician

Reason I lowered Psychic speed for it to balance with other moves. Seeing how the battle system isn't working properly it was far superior to say... psyshock which acts as a lower power version of psychic. So Psyshock should be 80 pwr, with 100 acc, and psychic 90 power with 95 acc.

This would be a test to see if this strategy works and if I should look to do this for other move types.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
*Laughs* it's only what, 5 accuracy? It'll be fine. However, I do wish to bring something up.

Future Sight is currently on par with a few of the "huge power no drawback" moves, such as solarbeam. When it is an option, people will take Future Sight over psychic (and it is a common option). In fact, Future Sight is one of the few moves keeping some pokemon viable/useable. I will warn that lowering Future Sight might make those off-the-wall pokemon less viable to PvP, however. (They are uncommon right now, but not rare.)

(Pokemon that will take Future Sight over Psychic: Alakazam, Espeon, Xatu, Gardevoir, etc. The only psychic pokemon that don't learn FS but do psychic and might be useful are Slowbro/king, Exeggutor, and Gorebyss. [lol gorebyss])

So as an experiment, I don't think there is an effective testing pool to work with because of how uncommonly I see those specific pokemon in battle. In other words, there won't be much feedback to receive. Unless that was your point, in which case I can't say I understand. =P

I would instead work with Brine, because Hydro Pump would make sense as its "Step up" option. (Like with Psyshock and Psychic, here.) Brine is unnaturally edited anyway, it has a high BP because of its situational useage in handhelds and staff at one point said "Well let's pump up the BP to make up for it." So instead of 60 BP with it doubling in power under certain circumstances, it has 97 BP and 100 acc. (This could basically affect Lappy, Kingdra, and maybe Starmie/Cloy instead of 2 UU pokes.)
But that might also tick people off, so...
*shrugs*

LanceDM

There's no problem with psychic at all, its fine as it was and its fine now ( to me ) . Solar beam... here we have a problem, Hyper beam acc got decreased (plus its BP) so I don't know why solar beam is still as it is, many water types cant be used now because these Fire tropes can deal with them with a simple hit, don't forget about Rock types and Steel types, the list of slaves is now bigger for Charizard and the others.

Saric

Youngster
Tecknician said:
Reason I lowered Psychic speed for it to balance with other moves. Seeing how the battle system isn't working properly it was far superior to say... psyshock which acts as a lower power version of psychic. So Psyshock should be 80 pwr, with 100 acc, and psychic 90 power with 95 acc.

This would be a test to see if this strategy works and if I should look to do this for other move types.
This is great and all but as said Future sight is always used over psychic when available (and on most psychic pokes used, it is). I can understand being a little preemptive with this sort of thing considering the psychic TM, but future sight is much more of an issue than psychic is or ever will be.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
To clarify-
Brine makes more sense as a test move because:
1) It is learned before Hydropump but at that level would be the water move of choice
2) Already has an artificial use (it is not working as it is traditionally supposed to)
3) Nerfing it will not make pokemon unviable in PvP (as far as I am aware)
4) Larger test pool of PvP pokemon than with Psychic

Psychic makes less sense because:
1) It is learned after Future Sight, which is the PvP move of choice. This means only newer/unknowledgable players will bother learning and using Psychic
2) Works as intended in the battle system
3) Nerfing FS instead of Psychic (without buffing psychic) will force more PvP pokemon off the field
4) Smaller test pool of pokemon than Brine

If those small changes don't matter much, carry on. As said before, a psychic nerf only affects very few pokemon, let alone pokemon people really battle with, so... I was just mainly concerned with both having pokemon viable in PvP and having enough data feedback.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
Shouldn't there be higher priority on moves like solar beam which is crazy common now than psychic? So little psychic pokemon are used in battle now they don't really need to be hurt any further, as they lack the strategic moves that make them actually effective in the handhelds. It's not like psychic pokes have a move like thunder or hydro pump that they can put risk on anyway. Dream Eater I can see lowering accuracy since gengar learns it and he's pretty common now. What I would suggest is:
make solar beam the same power as future sight, 100. That or lower it's accuracy to the same as thunder or hydro 70-80. moves like energy ball and giga drain should work as alternatives
Implement thunderbolt TM, that will give the balance between using thunder and thunderbolt like in the handhelds.
Brine is pretty much acting as surf is right now so leave it alone, and implement either scald or waterfall for physical attackers, that and aqua tail will provide two balancing options
Psyshock was meant to have a better effect than is possible in PWO so give it something that complements it instead of hurting another move which will hurt the psychic type as a whole. maybe have psyshock have a chance to cause confusion or have a 30% chance to lower spdef or something.

Tecknician

Future sight will also need to be "nerfed", it is simply a move I forgot about.

These were just the first round of balance changes.

psychosamm

Youngster
Not to be mean but i personally don't understand lowering psychic's accuracy either, it was already exactly how it should be in the handhelds, and it in no way is overpowered. Future sight i can understand, but psychic i don't really understand at all. Sure psyshock is weaker... what's wrong with that? Pokemon moves aren't communistic, moves aren't supposed to be equal, they're supposed to be balanced, which is different. So instead of saying it again i'll just say i agree with Eco and Zebs points on the matter.

But good work with the battle system nonetheless. :p

Tecknician

Psychic will be restored to 100% acc, psyshock will reduce opps def 1 stage, future sight acc will be decreased to 85%.

DoreanBV

Tecknician said:
Psychic will be restored to 100% acc, psyshock will reduce opps def 1 stage, future sight acc will be decreased to 85%.

Now these are changes that are really well tought out. Now psychic is what it should be, future sight carries huge risks, since it doesn't work properly, and psyshock is beginning to look ok to have on some pokes :)

Dragon16

Youngster
Tecknician said:
Psychic iS Still Bugged, it keeps increasing Opponents Spdef...
5uhf.png

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Tecknician said:

This seems balanced and like a logically viable template for other similar moves. Because I rely on both moves on my team, I can test this thoroughly too.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
CheckeredZebra said:
Tecknician said:

This seems balanced and like a logically viable template for other similar moves. Because I rely on both moves on my team, I can test this thoroughly too.

It would make more sense to me to see future sight at 90% acc as it's on par with dream eater. with 85% accuracy you're putting it in the group of fire blast (120 power) and meteor mash (100 power, 20% chance of increasing atk) both of which are leagues better when discounting accuracy than future sight. Not to mention the pokemon using Future sight really can't afford to miss a move as they are weak defensively unlike say, metagross. It's a little funny to me that balancing consist of improving dragonite and hurting psychic types though, given the comparative use of them in battle currently save for starmie lol.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I'm assuming the move changes will be applied to other elements like dragon, steel, water etc. once polished and that the psychic type was used both because it had a clear template (Psyshock, Psychic, then FS) and would affect fewer PvP/expensive pokemon than if Teck had just gone ahead and nerfed everything. In other words, I'm assuming this is a closed group experiment and that feedback from this group can be adapted to other moves/groups. NOT a random hit against psychic types (In light of other updates not being possible).

BaracaWisdom

Damn rest good but why change psyquic? if in the original game is just like that 100 acc and 90 power

Saric

Youngster
Dunno if you noticed my post in the train overhaul thread but there's no ticket seller in Viridian city, which makes some things problematic when traveling from there.

Maideza

I return after many, many months - and I hear Smeargle is still broken.

That's all.