Removal of /list

Status
Not open for further replies.

joysclash

well if u ask me i would say dont fix what ain't broken....if the /list command is gone then it will be a real pain..i dont wanna spend hours over hunting something that i dont even know if its there or not ..that will be stupid ...so my opinion is not to remove it ...

SpartacusBrah

**EDITED

As a new player that has 17 badges and plays like this game is an addicting DRUG, ide say`

Remove it!! Work on the Pokedex. I have never used the pokedex and there is great potential with it. The real game doesn't have /list..

Most people will be upset because they are spoon fed just like they are in real life, a lot of people dont know the meaning of work nowadays ::)
Anyway hard work seems less enjoyable but the fact is that ultimately its better, take World Of WarCraft for example.. I played for 2 years before they implanted the "GPS" into quests and the dungeons finder, AND can you believe it most people said they liked it HOWEVER a LOT of people ended up quitting!!! Especially after the release of Mist of Panda where its even more simplified. Simplicity isnt always better, and that's for sure the case in a good MMO.

MOST people dont know what they want and choose to have the easy way out, but that isnt always the best answer.
Please remove it and foce players to use the wikki/ forums/ pokedex. It will work wonders on the economy and the game in general!
But I think if you do the spawns for sure need looked at.

Maybe` HR and VR might need more spawning locations..(this would make rares more rare too because there only a specific location)

CynicalChoco said:
My personal opinions (sorry if this turns into a wall fo text or a rant).

At the moment in PWO players are spoonfed pretty much everything they could ever need to wonder about in the game - in terms of pokemon they can find out all the ever need to know by using a few commands, they will know exactly what pokemon are found on what map and how difficult it will be to find them. You might think this is good as a player but for the game it is bad, it kills player discussion - why do you need to ask when you can just have the game tell you itself, it turns people away from our commnity as they do not need to use the forums or the wiki or the playerdex as the game will tell you everything itself, they never even have to ask in chat about a pokemon they might want. It kills discovery, it kills hope, when everything is known there are no surprises there are no discoveries and everything is just left bland - it gets stale. That is the big problem I have with it (amongst other 'features' of the game currently) they all add up to cause a stale experience over time.

Looking into the player perspective, how many of you can say that you have based pokemon values from there 'rarity' tags? What is a Rare worth? A Very Rare? A Horribly Rare? Now add shinies to this, how many pokemon are valued by people based on being a S Rare or a S Very Rare? The market is stifled by these self imposed caps and while it may be a bit simplistic here and other factors like IVs and battle strength are used it cannot be argued that these tags add a pointless supply limit to certain pokemon because of these rates, rates given to players by the /list command. I can't say for certain but I feel that the rarity changes coming and the removal of the /list command would give a more dynamic market for players.

As a staff member I see the same thing every event in PWO - people will find out about the spawns the instant they are able to, they will buzz for a short time about whatever pokemon can be found and then everything goes into the same week or 2 week long grind for the HRs. Again I feel this is another stale aspect of the game, but if there was no way fo finding out the spawns beforehand what would it be like to walk into a new area not knowing what you could find. Wondering whether this pokemon could be the events HR, being the first person to find that rare pokemon would become something special, there is no predetermined pattern set for the event because you don't know what is going to happen, you don't even know if maybe, just maybe, there might still be that 1 rare pokemon that no one has found yet. Do you see the potential even a small change like this could bring? There would be people actively discussing what they think are the rare pokemon and which are the more common, people working out together things that were previously just given. A community effort brings a lot more to a game than an Umbreon spawn.

I'm going to go back to more points on staleness here, when people know the lists things get taking for granted - a spawn is updated and it just becomes 'oh, this pokemon is no longer common here'. Why can't changes be more interesting? Having players not know this could allow us to make small tweaks to maps that change rarities for certian pokemon during summer, unique spawns on maps could appear and someone may stumble upon something new. It allows us the possibility to make the game more dynamic and give benefits to exploring maps looking for new pokemon or places as you could not just /list viridian forest and see that bulbasaur had been added and the watch everyone flock to the map for it. You could not /list secret area 2 and find that this whole map exsisted and had cool pokes. Maybe we added a new hidden map, what would be better - a) finding out it was there by seeing it on /list zubat or b) be casually walking through diglett cave and see a whole in the ground, dropping you into a new underground cave system?

Tl;Dr - Read it please, and really I want to see some decent arguments to why keeping the command is a good idea.

x1nv5-the-rock-clapping.gif

I love the idea about a changing world with summer and winter pokemon, Ide even vote for night and day such as hoothoot, and maybe even gastly a little eayer to find in the spooky tower at night, sunflora as a common filler accros the map? ext!!

Merse

Youngster
I often use that command. It is especially useful if I'm hunting S commons, or during events when the wildest rumors spread about catching this or that Pokemon on this or that map. It's also useful to determine which place is the best to hunt rarer Pokes or to refresh your memory about spawns on the map you're currently on.
I think it's a very useful command, I would like to keep it.
The rarity tag doesn't represent the value of the Pokemon anyway, so showing that something is HR shouldn't be a problem. Renaming the tags would be welcomed though, but it was already discussed.

CynicalChoco said:
As a staff member I see the same thing every event in PWO - people will find out about the spawns the instant they are able to, they will buzz for a short time about whatever pokemon can be found and then everything goes into the same week or 2 week long grind for the HRs. Again I feel this is another stale aspect of the game, but if there was no way fo finding out the spawns beforehand what would it be like to walk into a new area not knowing what you could find.

I think this is a good example why the command is useful. Some players are just mean or just love to misguide others and they would send other players away from the spawn point of the most valuable Pokemon if there wouldn't be a command which says where it spawns. Plus, as I said, the wildest rumors can spread across the community during an event, about unbelievable encounters. I don't think that would be a good think if everyone would start to hunt for a Mewtwo just because some trolls thought it would be fun to say it became catchable somewhere. Especially because the victims would be all new players as veterans wouldn't fall for suc rumors so easily. The /list command gives some security to the players.

But how about this: Keep the command, but it doesn't show rarities. All it says
"The following Pokemon have been seen in the area:
Pikachu
Caterpie
Weedle
Snorlax
Pinsir"
The order could be in the order of rarity or simply in the order of their # in the Playerdex. This way it will says that you can find those Pokes there but it won't tell their rarity hence it won't influence your expectations or the market by labeling Pokes with rarities directly.

davedelta

i would like to give my opinion and it would be "keep it " thats how it should be ..so dont remove the /list command its a crucial part of the game ..it makes the game different from the hand-held games and its a good thing ..we need the list command ..with out it we would be lost so please dont remove it :eek:

mhanth4f

KstersSlade said:
If it is removed, I see the wiki coming into use alot more. :)

I suggest connecting it to the pokedex with the client update, maybe /list doesnt do anything at first but once you see a poke it registers it in that /list.

pokearcanine said:
I disagree with the complete removal.In original games,after seeing a pokemon,you could know his location,so at the very last,let the usage of /list only for pokemons you have seen already

Im actually agree with this one. Also we dont even know whats in the grass on the real game too. At least we have the chat where we can ask people about it, Right?
Actually the existance of google.. or searching asking this machine thing is ruinning every game in the world.
We used to get, know and solve the problem by ourself in old games. But now? just go ask the machine and it will gives you the answer. Easy not challanging at all.
Im agree with not instant /list tell all the stuff thats in there. But maybe it will tell you what you've encountered right there before hand as the quoted posts above stated. Anyhow Im okay with any update if the staff thing its the best for the game, goodluck.

I.Am

Rarity removed and now /list command will gone too ? Nice. Then we will start hunting blindly from now on and cross our finger they wont erase rarity information from pokedex and wiki too.

Its funny though even after the rarity removed,players still selling their pokes based on their previous rarity because its kinda weird you know posting at trade channel like this "Selling S unknown pokes. Pm me". I still cant understand why need to remove rarity (Even i read the Game : Updating spawns and rarity rates thread over and over again ). I think rarity removed because of this. I quote from Game : Updating spawns and rarity rates thread - "We originally started to look into this issue when looking further into why vrs were so valueless compared to horrible rares and why rares only had value when they were shiny otherwise they are about as valuable as common pokemon."

I think PWO staff forgot something about what kind of vr pokes they talking about. For an example Murkrow is one of vr poke but who gonna buy it unless you are collector (Shiny Murkrow) because its useless (no evo item). Why rares only had value when they were shiny ? Because of its stats better than normal rare,not blink blink or cute color. Most buyer is battler not collector.

Thor

This would be fine if you actually had a working pokedex...until you do that it's a completely pointless idea and against the idea of pokemon. A pokedex has in Pokemon and always will show you pokemon locations once you have seen it and until you can bring in this function a command to substitute it is necessary. As it is, It seems at the moment you are killing this game for hunters, those who don't want to battle competitively or care about worth of each pokemon. You really don't understand until you have played this game for hours, days, weeks hunting for something how difficult it is. I'm not convinced as staff that you do understand this. You seem to be assuming that as there are lots of very rares in game, horribly rares, rares, shinies that it must be they are too easy to get. This is not actually the case, it's instead that people are putting in days+ of their lives hunting these things and this suggestion just seems like another kick in the teeth, making it harder for those who dare spend weeks looking for something.

RicardoTav

I think that you should let /list comand continue in game but dont saying the rarity only wich pokemons are on that map ..... that's my opinion hope that helps :)... 8)

Tecknician

Suggestion? I thought this was the discussion forum. Sorry I must be losing it...

As I always say, just because an idea is bad, doesn't mean it can't be improved upon and turned into a really good idea. The only bad idea is that is never suggested.

Keep the discussion going :)

BlazingNinetales

I personally wouldn't be happy if /list was to go... it has helped me in several occasions about where a certain Pokemon is. It is also really easier to know where to get specific Pokemon at instead of just constantly asking in chat. So I don't really think it needs to be removed. For me, and a lot of other people, it has really helped us and wish for it to stay.

sammdoun

the game will be harder for collector unless u keep the locations in wiki :))

Fionavara

You guys keep talking about market value, market value as been told has nothing to do with rareity as much as IVs...so taking away /list command has NOTHING absolutely NOTHING to do with the values of pokes..it wont make a larvitar more valueablue cus noone knows where to find it...since a bad larvitar is still a bad larvitar!
Unkown rarity takes away every aspect of any "value" or rare/hr pokes you guys seems to belive excist anyway (not that it was any from the beginning) but taking away the /list command, the only thing in pwo that actually makes sense for us players that want to collect the pokes and especially shiny versions is the /list command to help us realise our dreams.
I really think that the /list command should stay, it helps everyone!
It's not a bother and it makes the game fun to KNOW what u want to hunt for may it be pika in veridian forest or dratini in dragons den or s scyther in safari..the /list command HELPS please don't take it away. It's the one and only command I use everyday and love about this game beacuse we have it and the handhelds don't.
I heard talk of spoonfeeding..so what..the command HELPS...it dosent make the game worse it makes this game better for us who PLAY it!
I still use wiki everyday, but not everyone should have to go to a website to want to find pokes on maps everytime they want to see what pokes there are in a map...not when we have a perfect command almost everyone uses every day as new players.
I as a collector has a hard time as it is to now hunt for shiny version with the rarity gone, not even knowing where to hunt too..come on...players will more likely leave and NOT bothering to stay and try collecting after beating the game rather then stay and buy MS and try to find the fun pokes.
/list is the best command in the game, it makes playing the game FUN cus now we know where to find the fun pokes we want!

magyarlajk

I disagree with the removal. Since I play on fullscreen, I obviously cant access web browser, while I'm playing. So forum/playerdex/wiki/veekun is out of question in my case. So what else can I use?

List command (chat), or pokédex. And only list command shows all the pokémon on xy area. Pokédex only shows where can I find xy pokémon, and that information most of the case is just not enough.

Implant /list command to pokédex.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
To be clear, the "unknown" rarity was to be temporary as I understand it. They're doing that to make an easier transition to the new rarity status', and while I suggested removing it permanently, I don't believe that's the purpose of removing the /list option entirely. I would imagine that Choco's thoughts are fairly parallel to the reasoning behind this topic. the main points were:
-It would encourage communication in game, and on forums instead of people having all the info at their fingertips within a second.
-It would increase economic variation that is not bound by rarity titles.
-There would be a sense of whimsy over new locations being discovered, and people would have to actually spend time in one area before discovering what that area holds.
-It would allow changes to be made without the players being immediately notified, which would especially be helpful for things like seasonal changes, or events. (which would decrease staleness)

These would be good points to argue against in order to be more effective in your argument.

Vincekaulitz

Noes. :c I just started the game and it seems like a really cool command to have and it can be very useful. <3

Drexed

My only question is why? If its not broken why fix it?

The rarity of a Pokemon is basically the largest part of its value, I personally don't know the rarity of every Pokemon in the game which is why i use list. I have also noticed people saying that it makes the game "dull" and kills "player interaction". Out of all the people online i say around 30-40% use the chat actively, if I see a conversation I find interesting I join in, removing a command will change absolutely nothing. The wiki is an option yes but does that not just do the same thing just mentioned and kill "player interaction"? I find it quite silly that its even an issue.

To conclude I would like to keep the list command as it does nothing negative to the game, good day to you all.

Fionavara

Empress Teck said:
Fiona.. you make it sound like /list is a part of a strategy guide...

For us hunters IT IS and that goes for new players aswell, wanting to hunt for something they can sell to get surfboards or hunt for favorite pokes to add to their battle teams before gym battles.
You never hunted or dedicated yourself to hunting so you don't really see the command as important. It is!
It makes the game fun, cus you can go look for the pokes you want and need without having to guess every single map u move on to what pokes are here.
And it makes easier so not every one has to ask where can I find this poke every time you want to know.
You think this command is unessecary? it's not it's the most helpful command in the game!

imafamousmoviestar

- Whenever I introduced friends to this game, they always praised the /list feature.
- It could really upset newcomers if they k.o. or run from a HR pokemon only to find out later that its horribly rare.
- If /list were removed I think the community will just tell everyone where to find things and how rare they are anyways.

Tecknician

Ok let's evolve this discussion.

Lets improve on the /list command

Fiona what would you think if something like zebras idea that wa posted earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.