"Lucky Item" Shiny-Odds Bonus drop item, Shiny-Odds Pokemon Disposal NPC (using REP)

thunderclap

An additional possible option: the trade-in guy could give Pd cash bonuses/bounties for certain pokemon. Not tokens please.. cash is what players crave and need. Don't know PWO stance on such prizes. I believe the code for that basically exists from the bird swarm though. Another optional prize could be eggs that grow into novel unreleased or token store pokes (with shiny chance plz if this ever happens) - half a dozen or a dozen mixed eggs would be a great prize, and erase any lasting p2w stigmas. As Rygar suggested. The pdex leaderboard code exists too already (great event that was).

In any case, this development (small amt of coding) would improve the framework for spur-of-the-moment themed swarms and mini-events, and seems straightforward enough

More on topic though, nothing in this whole thread should be THAT hard to make, I think, compared to economy benefits. I need to do a better job explaining all of it because even smart people like Isguros, Jobey and Klay don't get it. There must be a psychological theory/principle that explains why a small group of people cannot agree on anything.

The disposal NPC is a crucial element in both my scopes of suggestion, take note. It is to be used for controlling economic and pokenomic inflation. If the NPC is already there (or the asset exists to enable him during events or for those who find lucky item)... it makes the dream of cool monthly themed swarms more in reach.

Sorry for rambling - I meant for this post to be about 2 sentences and here we are. Not trying to sound unappreciative. Blue's frequent Playerdex updates are amazing, and we have some other great staff members who are dedicated but work in the shadows. I feel PWO is stagnating and declining.. and far too difficult to make a remotely good value-for-time proposition in particular for new players. So much impossible old wealth exists and hunting is hopeless if you aren't stunted in mathematical ability. I don't deny some pokes would decrease in value but everyone will benefit overall - from a more active economy, more interesting mart, and avenues for hope - the American Dream. Those who actively play, trade and hunt will benefit most, and active playing and trading is exact what this game needs. The NPC could sprinkle in some new pokes/content for scientific/testing purposes.

It's painfully clear only small changes/bonuses, thoughtfully crafted and agreed by a representative sample of players and staff can probably be good. That's all I wanted us to consider tho. nothing radical. PWO is a finely balanced econosystem.

But if it seems to you these ideas would make things too easy, I say, review the math, and work with me people!

Last edited:

Klay

Youngster
hmm, because you complimented me and my boss, here some random thoughts:

could you make a quick summary of the suggestion as it is today? with pros and cons ofc
my memory is poopy as hell, and my laziness in front of 4 pages of posts just digivolved at its ultimate form

what i mostly dislike in your idea (at least what i remember of it) is giving that shiny chance while shinies are still all IVs 20+, while there's no reason for them to not be all IVs 0-31
shinies should be for collection purpose first, and eventually for pvp if they appear to be good enough for that

me not fan of swarms, they're just a first-aid bandage to hide staff have nothing to give us
and caused dumb dramas almost everytime they occurred

thunderclap

Monthly swarms might be too often. Maybe every 3 months. They are a band-aid, but also fun. I'll work on a better summary.

Shiny IVs 0-31 might be better for limited edition novelty or different-colored shines with measurably easier odds. I'd prefer to not weaken regular shinies so drastically, uniformly or permanently. Maybe 15-31 or 10 at the very worst. I don't accept lower IVs without (avenues for) easier odds, and in that case we'd probably want some variant of Disposal NPC.

Last edited:

justme1306

then people will log in once every 3 months - that doesnt help pwo to have more players - easier odd will make rare shiny way cheaper which gonna hurt economy - as i said in another thread the only solution would be something that players will log in for - and swarms every 3 months doesnt - and yeah swarm are band-aid and fun and for now thats probably a solution - with mini events with tms - items and new pokemons

thunderclap

Encounter rates were designed for when there were 200 players on the server 24/7. If you're worried my suggestions will make things too easy, look at the math in this thread again.

Rygar

Youngster
Shinies are a great IV sniffer since they always have 20+ stats. And honestly, from a battle perspective, that isn't even good enough. They need to be 26+ just to be useful. Without any way to breed and get good IVs like in the main games, we need a way to indicate if a wild pokemon is worth catching or should we run or faint it. A true dedicated IV sniffing item would be my dream come true and I could finally stop wasting my time. This item IS already in the official games, so release it here too.

whispie

Youngster
Idk about that item but speed and hp can be predicted in. Range of 3-4iv with just what we have already now

Jobey

Youngster
Tbh I'm not convinced you read it the first time. You, smart Jobey, never seemed to understand any of it, of all people. :perplexed:
LOL tbh If I remember correctly though, I think I actually was for it for the most part, I think my main argument was that the increase was too much of a bonus, especially when stacked with MS. I may honestly read through it again some day, but doubtful. XD