"Lucky Item" Shiny-Odds Bonus drop item, Shiny-Odds Pokemon Disposal NPC (using REP)

thunderclap

Youngster
This is somewhat convoluted but bare with me here. This is meant to stimulate discussion. Literally every part of this could be tweaked/changed. This is meant to address some concerns identified in Riguadon's "New Year's Reflections" post here: https://forum.pokemon-world-online.com/showthread.php?tid=37932

Specifically this suggestion will help to address the following concerns (both Rig's and mine):
1. It's not that any one thing in PWO is especially overly rare/difficult, it's that too many things are too difficult.
2. The economy has gone somewhat flat in large part due to a lack of money in the economy, and overabundance of pokemon for sale (over-supply = underpriced).
3. There is currently no realistic way for new players to acquire a membership or gain a significant foothold in the economy without spending real money or huge amounts of grinding. It sucks to have to tell people that when they ask.

PART 1: LUCKY ITEM (FREE MEMBERSHIP).
1. Every pokemon that does not currently drop an item has a chance to drop a very rare "Four Leaf Clover".

2. When a Clover is found, the player who finds it is granted all membership perks for a period of (maximum) one week. To reduce server load in tracking individual players, all such bonuses are reset every Thursday at midnight UTC.

3. Using the Clover item will change a player's sprite to the unused "leprechaun" sprite, just like the Halloween Mask or Skull Head items. Other than that the item itself does not do anything. A separate server event that grants membership is triggered behind-the-scenes when one is found.

4. Effects of Clover stack/multiply with membership effects. See math below.

5. The "Four Leaf Clover" is a "Other"-type item so it cannot be sold or traded. It can be used any time even after your period of free membership is over.

PART 2: POKEMON DISPOSAL NPC FOR BOOST IN SHINY ODDS.
6. The now-unused REP system will be repurposed and renamed LUCK. The LUCK value represents your shiny chances as a percentage. Without any boosts/MS you have 100 luck points. In the current system, one MS currently gives you odds equivalent to 400 luck points. With both a freshly-found Clover and a MS, your luck would be even higher. See math below.

7. A new leprechaun NPC is added to Goldenrod and Saffron, who you can give your unwanted pokemon to. Unlike the "release box" in playerdex, once your pokemon are gone, they are gone.

8. The NPC uses a very simple judging method (drawing from the Bird Judge script) to calculate how many LUCK points to award you. Shinies might give you one point, 'Tier 2' 0.005 points, 'Tier 3' 0.01 points, 'Tier 4' 0.02 points, and 'Tier 5' 0.5 points, for example. The type of pokemon the NPC accepts could change periodically (eg. only birds). It would only accept pokes with your OT caught AFTER the NPC was implemented (or caught that week?).
NPC Math: https://forum.pokemon-world-online....emon-disposal-npc-using-rep.38360/post-361501

9. All luck bonuses (other than paid Memberships from the token store) including NPC-awarded bonuses are reverted every Thursday at midnight UTC. Multiple clovers will stack but the maximum LUCK value of 999.999 cannot be exceeded. If you have paid membership, your LUCK goes back to 300.000; otherwise 100.000. This system might be one of the bigger challenges since I don't think there's a script to mass-edit REP currently.

These two systems work together to
a) Inject more money into the ecosystem (up to 4x boost means up to ~2500pd per Pokemon) and give much more incentive to faint pokemon
b) Reduce supply of "cheap" shinies and underpriced tier 5's, therefore increasing their demand and resale prices. Currently tier 5's can be extremely cheap in relation to their rarity. 50k \=\ Weeks of grinding. Pokemon disposal would raise prices of lower end "trash" pokemons without much affecting resale prices of higher-end shinies and rare pokemon which are often already overpriced.
c) Increase motivation to hunt even in "bad" hunting areas where there are no "rare" pokemons. Finding a four-leaf-clover is one of the best things you can now find.
d) Increase motivation to hunt for tier-5's again -- you can't just go and buy a 50k Snorlax on the Mart anymore.
d) Reward players who play actively with a chance to get a free "lucky" membership
e) Increase variety of shiny pokemon available in the market
f) Reduce the extent to which the game is "pay to win" (there's now a way to get free memberships)
g) Reduce server load. Each player will probably choose to store hundreds fewer pokemon in their release boxes.
h) Changing the "type" of pokemon accepted by the Leprechaun NPC will concentrate player activity in areas with those pokemons, creating spontaneous mini-swarms and fostering seemingly more active community.
i) Making bonuses expire on Thursday will increase weekend activity in particular, and encourage hunting.

Let's discuss! Is this a completely unworkable idea? Would be be too much work for the scripters/admin/devs to implement? What could be changed to make it fairest for all players? If not using this system, what are alternative/better ways we could address some of these issues?

See revised math: https://forum.pokemon-world-online....emon-disposal-npc-using-rep.38360/post-361500

FIXED MATH:
100 Luck = 1/8192 (Normal odds)
200 Luck = 2/8192
300 Luck = 3/8192
400 Luck = 4/8192 = 1/2048 (Odds with membership or 1 Clover or After sacrificing 30 shinies)
500 Luck = 5/8192
600 Luck = 6/8192
700 Luck = 7/8192 = 1/1170 (Odds with MS + Clover or 2 Clovers)
800 Luck = 8/8192
900 Luck = 9/8192
1000 Luck = 10/8192 = 1/819 (Odds with MS + 2 Clovers)

1/819 odds (best possible) would take 5.6875 hours on average for one shiny, assuming 25 seconds per encounter.

More examples:
114.385 Luck = 1.14385/8192 odds
782.112 Luck = 7.82112/8192 odds

Last edited:

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
RE: "Lucky Item" Shiny-Odds Bonus drop item, Shiny-Odds Pokemon Disposal NPC

I applaud the idea of finding a new purpose for Reputation, as this is something I have also discussed with Staff a number of times, even long before the Lua updates.

An issue to be considered with regards to re-purposing Rep as a luck modifier, is that while Reputation is no longer automatically given as a reward for NPC Battles, it is still used in PvP. Would this behaviour still be desirable under such a system?

As an aside, the maximum Rep is in fact a flat 1000.

thunderclap

Youngster
RE: "Lucky Item" Shiny-Odds Bonus drop item, Shiny-Odds Pokemon Disposal NPC

Jinji said:
An issue to be considered with regards to re-purposing Rep as a luck modifier, is that while Reputation is no longer automatically give as a reward for NPC Battles, it is still used in PvP. Would this behaviour still be desirable under such a system?

As an aside, the maximum Rep is in fact a flat 1000.
Hey Jinji, thanks for weighing in. I knew people still get REP points, but thought that it was unintentional at this point. I'm not too familiar with the amount of REP a person gains from winning a battle, but I can't think of a reason right now why it shouldn't go towards their luck boost.  Encouraging more battling is a good thing too. Some thought would have to be put into balancing it of course.

Would anyone be upset that their REP from battles gets reset every week?

One additional sidenote: I would suggest that purchased memberships should remain unstackable. Finding a clover should be a rare boost that you cannot buy.

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
i really like this ideas thunder BRAVO really man cheers that's exactly what we need to get motivation to play again but the problem is staff are currently working on other things and i would like to advise to put this in high priority cause seriously this will make game a LOT better

shodan21

Youngster
FYI, the math is a bit off: MS shiny chance is actually 4x - 1/2048 vs 1/8192 chance.  3x (or 300%) is the increase and doesnt include the base chance (i.e., 1x [base] + 3x [boost] = 4x)

Saw this thread and figured I'd point that out, since it's a pretty common error.

Also, the way you intend to stack it with MS is a bit too much, imo.  Using the correct math, that would make shiny chance 1/512, which is way too high.

Intriguing idea, though.  Needs some balance, but I like the concept.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
thunderclap said:
This is somewhat convoluted but bare with me here. This is meant to stimulate discussion. Literally every part of this could be tweaked/changed. This is meant to address some concerns identified in Riguadon's "New Year's Reflections" post here: https://forum.pokemon-world-online.com/showthread.php?tid=37932

Specifically this suggestion will help to address the following concerns (both Rig's and mine):
1. It's not that any one thing in PWO is especially overly rare/difficult, it's that too many things are too difficult.
2. The economy has gone somewhat flat in large part due to a lack of money in the economy, and overabundance of pokemon for sale (over-supply = underpriced).
3. There is currently no realistic way for new players to acquire a membership or gain a significant foothold in the economy without spending real money or huge amounts of grinding.  It sucks to have to tell people that when they ask.

PART 1: LUCKY ITEM (FREE MEMBERSHIP).
1. Every pokemon that does not currently drop an item has a chance to drop a very rare "Four Leaf Clover".

2. When a Clover is found, the player who finds it is granted all membership perks for a period of (maximum) one week. To reduce server load in tracking individual players, all such bonuses are reset every Thursday at midnight UTC.

3. Using the Clover item will change a player's sprite to the unused "leprachaun" sprite, just like the Halloween Mask or Skull Head items. Other than that the item itself does not do anything. A separate server event that grants membership is triggered behind-the-scenes when one is found.

4. Effects of Clover stack/multiply with membership effects. If you had 3x shiny odds and a 2x cash multiplier with membership, you now have 9x shiny odds and 4x cash.

5. The "Four Leaf Clover" is a "Other"-type item so it cannot be sold or traded. It can be used any time even after your period of free membership is over.

PART 2: POKEMON DISPOSAL NPC FOR BOOST IN SHINY ODDS.
6. The now-unused REP system will be repurposed and renamed LUCK. The LUCK value represents your shiny chances as a percentage. Normally it is 100%, with MS or Clover alone it is 300%, and the combined effect of MS and Clover would stack/multiply to be 900%. The maximum will still be 999.999.

7. A new leprauchaun NPC is added to Goldenrod and Saffron, who you can give your unwanted pokemon to. Unlike the "release box" in playerdex, once your pokemon are gone, they are gone.

8. The NPC uses a very simple judging method (drawing from the Bird Judge script) to calculate how many LUCK points to award you. Shinies might give you one point, 'Tier 2' 0.005 points, 'Tier 3' 0.01 points, 'Tier 4' 0.02 points, and 'Tier 5' 0.5 points, for example. The type of pokemon the NPC accepts could change periodically (eg. only birds).

9. All luck bonuses (other than paid Memberships from the token store) including NPC-awarded bonuses are reverted every Thursday at midnight UTC. Multiple clovers will stack but the maximum LUCK value of 999.999 cannot be exceeded. If you have paid membership, your LUCK goes back to 300.000; otherwise 100.000. This system might be one of the bigger challenges since I don't think there's a script to mass-edit REP currently.

These two systems work together to
    a) Inject more money into the ecosystem (up to 4x boost means up to ~2500pd per Pokemon)
    b) Reduce supply of "cheap" shinies and underpriced tier 5's, therefore increasing their demand and resale prices. Currently tier 5's can be extremely cheap in relation to their rarity. 50k \=\ Weeks of grinding. Pokemon disposal would raise prices of lower end "trash" pokemons without much effecting resale prices of higher-end shinies and rare pokemon which are often already overpriced.
    c) Increase motivation to hunt even in "bad" hunting areas where there are no "rare" pokemons. Finding a four-leaf-clover is one of the best things you can now find.
    d) Increase motivation to hunt for tier-5's again -- you can't just go and buy a 50k Snorlax on the Mart anymore.
    d) Reward players who play actively with a chance to get a free "lucky" membership
    e) Increase variety of shiny pokemon available in the market
    f) Reduce the extent to which the game is "pay to win"
    g) Reduce server load. Each player will probably choose to store hundreds fewer pokemon in their  release boxes.
    h) Changing the "type" of pokemon accepted by the Leprauchaun NPC will concentrate player activity in areas with those pokemons, creating spontaneous mini-swarms and fostering seemingly more active community.
    i) Making bonuses expire on Thursday will increase weekend activity in particular, and encourage hunting. 

Let's discuss! Is this a completely unworkable idea? Would be be too much work for the scripters/admin/devs to implement? What could be changed to make it fairest for all players? If not using this system, what are alternative/better ways we could address some of these issues?

Great idea, lets hope the staff actually consider trying to implement it. I do disagree that ms and clovers should stack though, shiny pokemon imo should be rare, its what makes theme special, so you dont want to make them too common or else it will perhaps unhinge the economy even more. :)

thunderclap

Youngster
Jobey said:
Great idea, lets hope the staff actually consider trying to implement it. I do disagree that ms and clovers should stack though, shiny pokemon imo should be rare, its what makes theme special, so you dont want to make them too common or else it will perhaps unhinge the economy even more. :)

Thanks for the math correction and support. Given that it's actually a 4x boost, stacking in the way I proposed might not be a great idea, but I think something similar (lesser) might still warrant discussion. In this REP system a Clover/membership adds 300 points to your existing 100 points. How would you feel if a 2nd clover added another 300 (700 total)? I'd support adding less, but, it might be more difficult for programmers to give diminishing boosts for extra clovers. Without stacking there's little benefit for someone who already has a MS to find a Clover. If we abandon stacking altogether though perhaps sacrificing Pokemon to the NPC could net a higher reward?

Keep in mind the proposed Clover item itself would be rare, and it would be highly improbable to find two or more of them in the span of a week, especially not with any time left to hunt at the hugely boosted rate. But it'd be exciting as hell to try under those conditions..

Personally I'm (currently) of the opinion that shiny chances are far too difficult even with a membership.

Consider Marill (Tier 2):

Let's say the odds to find a regular Marill are 1/100,

Therefore the odds for a shiny Marill without membership would be 1/819200. That works out to about 237 days of constant grinding 24/7 assuming 25 seconds per encounter.

With membership the odds would then be 1/204800, about 59 days, or almost 9 months if you treat it like a full-time job and 'only' play 40 hours per week.

Even with a double boosted shiny rate (which would be extremely difficult to get) you'd be looking at thousands of hours to find a shiny Marill, and you might only have the full bonus for a day or less depending when you found your second clover. And these crazy numbers are just for a Tier 2, which isn't even worth that much and easily might have poopy low-20's-ivs.

1/819 is 5.675 hours for one shiny (non-targeted), which would be 567.5 hours on average to catch a shiny Marill at the maximum rate, which can only be had for MAXIMUM a week at once but realistically almost never, or 1-2 days. I don't think that's that unreasonable, given the unlikeliness of ever getting those odds. I've caught 5 shinies in one day before with regular membership.

I can think of a handful of people who have successfully found Tier 2 and higher shinies, but those cases are just the most prominent ones that come to mind. Countless other people have failed and given up - I remember Midou almost quit after finding too many shiny Hoot-hoots. One could argue this is a simple fan-based MMO for kids. Have I made another math error? Those odds just seem way too challenging..

That said I'm not married to the stacking concept and I'd be really happy if any part of this suggestion / discussion thread came to fruition some day. Really appreciate all the positive responses so far!

EDITed to fix math (I had calc'd shinies max rate at 1/512, but it's 1/819 acc'g to FIXED MATH in OP.

PROPOSED LUCKY FOUR LEAF CLOVER drop rate: 1/20480

567.5 hours for a S T2 at max boost, a rate you might enjoy for 20 hours if you're extremely lucky, but realistically almost never.

Last edited:

thunderclap

Youngster
shodan21 said:
FYI, the math is a bit off: MS shiny chance is actually 4x - 1/2048 vs 1/8192 chance.  3x (or 300%) is the increase and doesnt include the base chance (i.e., 1x [base] + 3x [boost] = 4x)

Saw this thread and figured I'd point that out, since it's a pretty common error.

Also, the way you intend to stack it with MS is a bit too much, imo.  Using the correct math, that would make shiny chance 1/512, which is way too high.

Intriguing idea, though.  Needs some balance, but I like the concept.
How about this?

100 Luck = 1/8192 (Normal odds)
200 Luck = 2/8192
300 Luck = 3/8192
400 Luck = 4/8192 = 1/2048 (Odds with membership or 1 Clover or After sacrificing 30 shinies)
500 Luck = 5/8192
600 Luck = 6/8192
700 Luck = 7/8192 = 1/1170 (Odds with MS + Clover or 2 Clovers)
800 Luck = 8/8192
900 Luck = 9/8192
1000 Luck = 10/8192 = 1/819 (Odds with MS + 2 Clovers)

1/819 odds (best possible) would take 5.6875 hours on average for one shiny, assuming 25 seconds per encounter.

More examples:
114.385 Luck = 1.14385/8192 odds
782.112 Luck = 7.82112/8192 odds

If sacrificing one shiny yielded 10 luck points, then it would take 30 shinies (one box full) to get membership-odds for one week (or less). If you figure each of those shinies is worth 50k, that's 1.5m worth of shinies. For comparison it costs about 1.3-1.6m currently to buy the 2025 tokens from players you need to get a 10 day "starter bundle plus" membership from the token store. With this system you wouldn't be able to buy shinies for 50k for long..

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
As somebody who did actually take a 4 month break from PWO because of spending 9 months hunting a shiny vulpix and never finding it back in early 2017, you would think I would be in my support of easier shiny pokes, but the simple fact is shiny pokemon are not supposed to be easy. The problem right now is it seems PWO shiny chances are very imbalanced. It seems that always the same people get shiny pokemon but on the reverse side the same people seem to struggle finding shiny Pokemon. in my near 2k hours (have had an ms since my first 80 hours) I managed to catch today only my 14th shiny pokemon ever, on average most of the same players see, to find2-3 a week on average with some even finding 2 or 3 in a single day on top of that. I didnt even encounter my first shiny until 257 hours in XD. I remember how frustrating it was to see that, what seem,ed like a futile effort on my part to catch shiny pokemon in general and it infuriated me, but then I realized something, thats the way it should be. Lets think back to the official pokemon games and I bet a tally of over every single game you played that your shiny chances were pretty bad, most can likely count on one hand maybe two hands how many shiny pokemon the have encountered that were shiny.

Another thing to consider is this is supposed to be an MMO and with that being the case the difficulty should be  a bit more higher. I'm all for letting people have increased shiny luck, but lets not go making it too easy, to me the game would grow pretty boring if almost every single player had nothing but shiny pokemon. But that's just my opinion, one I think few agree with but thats the point of these forums, to discuss different perspectives. With that said, I really hope your idea is implemented, minus the stacked luck part XD.

Nshims

I really appreciate your efforts on these ideas,
but also think that making the game easy will not change things over the long term.

Some things have to be difficult just because this is an online game (long term game).
For example mini events have been discussed many times,
and some members made the experience,
but this did not increase the number of current players or prevented some from leaving the game,
Surely there will be more players in the event, but as soon as the event is over everything will return to normal.

Another thing that was pointed out for a long time was the fact that it was difficult to train the Pokémons
and the waiting time when losing a battle with a jym leader,
the system has been updated and now training a pokemon is much easier than before
and gym leaders can be re battled immediately.
This seems to be something that will keep new players considering that they will not have much difficulty in progressing in the game,
but many of them end up leaving as soon as they acquire the 16 badges.

I think the concept of economics is more complex than that, make things easier?
(that would kill the economy) considering the fact that people buy things they can not get
or think it would take an insane time to get. (This is a base of the economy).
Now imagine if everyone could get things for themselves there would be no more economy!
The whole economy secret is in Emergence.

For example:
1. Players who are more apt to hunt can sell some things that they get
2. players with more ability to trade tend to buy and resell/trade
3. Collectors and battlers tend to sell cheaply if they find something better to replace
4. Some players are more talented in arts, and can sell their works
5. Also players who create unofficial events with cost of entry

These are good factors to make the game economy run smoothly.
Considering a population with all these potentialities to move the economy
it is no longer necessary to invest in short-term solutions.

I think we all agree that adding new regions is one of the most important tasks
(most players leave because they already have most of the things they want,
or because they are sick of the current maps, or you simply do not have more time to play)
Add to the remaining regions is something positive that can make the game go back to being what it was,
Also something to consider is the fact that it is impossible to keep all the players,
people will always have reasons to leave simply because this is a game that has no end,
but people have their limits.

The most important thing is to have fun while playing.

The only reason I think something similar can be implemented is to enable players who have never had MS
have a chance to have this privilege,
(this item will only work for players who have never had MS installed on their account).

Or a similar time-based system to add legendary pokémons,
something like pokémons are available to capture in cities randomly per day.
if any player captures the pokémon then it will no longer be available,
and he can stay with the pokemons a defined time or a random time,
then the pokémon will escape, after a while it will again be found randomly in cities and captured.

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
Pwo shiny chance is sooo unbalanced and the luck always remain with same ppl , sadly that's real . hope they fix it first .
on the other hand i would like to share one of my history on pwo one time i was hunting a shiny staryu with someone i kept hunting until i got 500 staryu and guess what he found 2 shiny staryu and ton of t1 shinies while i found only 2 SHinies . that's sooo unfair , but that's okay with me on the other hand i don't think that another one woulkd stay if he got what i get like jobey he quit for more than 6months cause of this cause of feeling the game is unfair . Hope it get fixed

thunderclap

Youngster
Most people consider ShinyMarill to be one of the luckiest with shinies. She said herself the other day "all the cute shiny pokemon are too hard to catch :(". I think it's hard to defend the current shiny odds if you really understand the numbers, and how long things should take to find. I really want to hunt T2 pokes like Lickitung, Jigglypuff, Marill, and Staryu, but it's pretty unlikely I'll ever find any of those unless the system is tweaked a bit..

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
Midou said:
Pwo shiny chance is sooo unbalanced and the luck always remain with same ppl , sadly that's real . hope they fix it first .
on the other hand i would like to share one of my history on pwo one time i was hunting a shiny staryu with someone i kept hunting until i got 500 staryu and guess what he found 2 shiny staryu and ton of t1 shinies while i found only 2 SHinies . that's sooo unfair , but that's okay with me on the other hand i don't think that another one woulkd stay if he got what i get like jobey he quit for more than 6months cause of this cause of feeling the game is unfair . Hope it get fixed

How exactly are they gonna "fix" luck? Its rng what can they change it to that's not rng? I used to suffer this problem with seeing others getting shinies and not finding any, which was a ME issue and nothing to do with encounter rates. Staff clarified some things in this topic https://forum.pokemon-world-online.com/showthread.php?tid=37763

thunderclap said:
 I really want to hunt T2 pokes like Lickitung, Jigglypuff, Marill, and Staryu, but it's pretty unlikely I'll ever find any of those unless the system is tweaked a bit..

System is fine imo. After 5 months in safari got my first t2  followed by a 2nd a few days later and a 3rd the following week. 6 weeks later another t2 followed by a 2nd a week later. During this time multiple t2 were caught before I got my first. 

Nothing is wrong with the shiny rate currently, what is wrong is people seeing others catch shinies and they not finding any.

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
RNG = Random Number Generator that should be RANDOM not stuck with same ppl all time the way i saw it was SNG " specific number generator " like ur shiny rate is like 1 shiny in 14-16 hour which should be fine while some ppls like myself find 2 shinies in last month and was this way since 2500hour . sorry bro but it's not random .

also 1 other thing i bet if u can find someone with 4000h and his rarest shiny was abra in safari . but i have passed that problem long time ago i just lost the hope with the game just waiting to go somewhere near the future to quit pwo for ever ;)

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
So pretty much a guaranteed shiny rate because that's what 1 in 16hrs sound like. With that shiny value would go down even more.

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
what u mean ?
if u mean shiny should be harder i agree with that but DON'T make them hard for couple of ppl and easy for others that's what i meant sadly that what i understood of 4k hours of pwo

Paarthurnax~

Midou said:
what u mean ?
if u mean shiny should be harder i agree with that but DON'T make them hard for couple of ppl and easy for others that's what i meant sadly that what i understood of 4k hours of pwo

There is no grand conspiracy here. Different people do not have different rates when it comes to shinies (or anything), this has been stated and restated many times in the past. In fact, it's not even possible to do this.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Ramensnoodle said:
So pretty much a guaranteed shiny rate because that's what 1 in 16hrs sound like. With that shiny value would go down even more.
 Yeah something I said in my first post on here that easier shiny chances will make shiny Pokemon even less valuable. Shiny pokemon are supposed to be rare and supposed to be hard to encounter. The reason this discussion comes up alot is for the simple fact that some people find shiny pokemon way too easy and its the same people every time. Shiny chances don't need to be easier but simply re-balanced, if thats some how possible.

thunderclap

Youngster
Jobey said:
Ramensnoodle said:
 Yeah something I said in my first post on here that easier shiny chances will make shiny Pokemon even less valuable. Shiny pokemon are supposed to be rare and supposed to be hard to encounter. The reason this discussion comes up alot is for the simple fact that some people find shiny pokemon way too easy and its the same people every time. Shiny chances don't need to be easier but simply re-balanced, if thats some how possible.
Well if they did part 2 of my suggestion in the OP, a lot of the cheapest shinies would get discarded, thus raising prices/demand of cheap shinies.

thunderclap

Youngster
The "discard pokemons" NPC could possibly just be available during events or special times. It would be an instrument that PWO staff could use to control inflation/deflation in the economy. That would also allow them to track statistics of caught shinies during that period to make sure it was working as intended.