Holodeck Event Feedback

Rainsinch

Well hello there! We hope you enjoyed the recent weekend event, and got some vouchers. It's time for us to collect a little feedback so we can make the next one even better! If you could take a minute and answer these questions, we'd appreciate it.

1- Overall, how did you enjoy the event?

2- Was the quest enjoyable, tolerable, or just plain bad? Why do you feel that way?

3- Did you enjoy the concept of the event, like the holodeck? How did you like the custom event maps?

4- How do you feel about the extension to hunt for vouchers on the last day without the main prize pokemon? Did you value that addition or was it unworthy of your additional time without that incentive?

5- Would you have changed anything about the event? If so, what is that, and why?

Thank you for your participation, we look forward to our next event with you! Once you're done with the questions, feel free to have Scotty beam you up :p

Pretentious

Overall, I thought this was a good event. Starting with the idea (holodecks), this was a neat way to introduce new maps to the player base. Bulbasaur was a good choice for the prize Pokemon, but I think that choice only makes sense if future events with the other Starter Pokemon are planned.

2- Was the quest enjoyable, tolerable, or just plain bad? Why do you feel that way?
Tolerable. Given the nature of Pokemon games, people shouldn't really complain about the lack of variety in quests. Unfortunately, I was busy that weekend and only was able to spend an hour or two on the quest.

3- Did you enjoy the concept of the event, like the holodeck? How did you like the custom event maps?
The holodeck was great. I thought both of the maps were good, but they were completely different. One used a lot of variety which isn't found in many of the other maps in-game. That being said, I think it fit the holodeck idea better whereas the other map seemed like a more traditional map which would have been found within PWO already.

4- How do you feel about the extension to hunt for vouchers on the last day without the main prize pokemon? Did you value that addition or was it unworthy of your additional time without that incentive?
The day extension didn't affect me because I was unable to take advantage of it ;).

5- Would you have changed anything about the event? If so, what is that, and why?
Personally, I would've preferred a week-long event, but I understand that my individual needs aren't best for the entire PWO population. Given the short time span of the event and the rather sparse implementation of events, I think having Chikorita available in one map with Bulbasaur in the other would've been ideal. As I mentioned earlier, I also think each Starter Pokemon needs to be represented in an event or those players who picked Bulbasaur kinda got the short end of the stick. :/
I also don't care for the voucher system as a whole, but that's for a different discussion.

CrimsonSapphire

I love it because I got vouchers; I hate it because I didn't find a single bulbasaur heheheh

parquettistapazzo

Youngster
I did enjoy the event very much. often I can't take part to weekend events because I don't have time, so being able to partecipate was enough a reson to be satisfied. I like small events and I think you should go on doing them.

I think the quest was enjoyable and easy enough to be completed in a short amount of time

I liked the holodeck and the new maps. Maybe the complexity of the new maps would have been exploited better if there was a reason to explore it all (a little prize for finding a hidden npc at the end of the map?). This is only a suggestion, I think you did great for this event

It didn't affect me because I completed it saturday, but in past event i would have appreciated it a lot because i was away for the weekend!

I think it was all ok

darkside

1. Overall, I enjoy the event, nice to have an event in PWO
2. Enjoyable quest, not hard to complete it
3. Nice concept for holodeck with 2 optional map. 2 different place, kinda peacefully for pokemon to live, but become much crowded with ppl that looking for SG ^^
4. It's unworthy for me because I've completed the quest on first day. No reason for me to keep hunt on that map without drat,bulba,casc,or silc
5. Yes, if I colud, I would change bulbasaur with other starter, coz I'm start with this poke Lol. And I hope that fishing system fixed earlier so my dratini didn't go away, even my skill was 44.
That's all, thank's for the event, I'll wait for the next one (hope it will come in short time ;D ) and sorry for my bad english :p

---------- LONG LIVE PWO ----------

Goku-

I thought the event was good. Good or bad, at least it gives you something to do. Hope to see them more often.

The quest was tolerable, better than the last event. I don't think many people actually enjoy doing the quests, it just needs to be done to receive the vouchers at the end.

I honestly didn't pay much attention to the holodeck. I just wanted to get to the maps and start hunting or get the vouchers. The custom event maps were ok. As long as it's easy to navigate and you don't get frustrated walking around I think any map is fine.

I liked this actually. It was nice to give the players who already started the quest the chance to still obtain the vouchers as they could of been busy and not have had a chance to do so. I also liked how once the event was "over" the prize pokemon was no longer obtainable. If it was then I guess the event wouldn't be over, so good job on that.

I didn't like having to obtain the stolen goods by fainting wild pokemon as this is based on luck. While I am hunting I like to run from the pokemon for more encounters. I'd rather have to actually do something like battle the NPC or do something for them. I just thought it took way too long to find the stolen goods, It became quite annoying after a while. I guess that's me being picky but overall a good event, hope to see them more often!

Julia

I liked it. :) Would enjoy more of those.

Tolerable - quests aren't always nice or exciting, but collecting 10 items from each map through luck was manageable in about two or three hours, therefore perfectly fine.

Yes! Great way to showcase the winners' work. I liked them both, but as someone else mentioned, would also enjoy seeing screenshots of the other entries.

Very fair. I got the vouchers in time, so had no incentive to go back to the maps on the extension day though.

More hunting time, albeit for purely egoistical reasons. ;)

Saric

Youngster
Not going to lie or sugarcoat it, but I didn't.

It was extremely generic. "Kill X pokes to get X amount of items and bring back to X NPC". The map was okay, but the concept was extremely boring and it's been overused.

The concept of the holodeck was cool. The custom event maps were also well done.

I don't really speak for anyone else, but I've pretty much lost interest in vouchers.

Honestly? The way it worked. I realize that "fetch and return" quests are easy to do, but they have been overused to the point where I don't even bother with these anymore unless there's something to hunt.

LightDragon

1- Soo Soo.
2- Tolerable,because i want some pokes,and not only horribles rares.I want pokemons which not usually rares or very rare,in example: Chinese Event: with Ponyta common(I like ponyta common,because ponyta is rare) in Halloween Event: with shuppet rare(I like,because shuppet is horrible rare ) =)
3- Yeah,i like,because is entertaining...
4- Yes,i think just.yes,i value.
5- Yes,the rarity of pokemons.

Tha-Kram

one of the best events ever!
found more HRs/Vrs during the weekend than I found in a 2 week event

the quest was alright, didnt take the whole event like previous once
and the fact that you were able to finish the quest when the actual event was already over really helped

didn't really mind the story line actually
I did like the fact that the player-made maps were used, they designed them for a reason didn't they?

the main reason for this event is the voucher quest, the rare pokemon are more like a bonus
it was nice to give people an extra shot at finishing what they started, even though they were no longer able for the "bonus"

Chikorita on one of the maps, to make them both special
and to give players who chose bulba as their starter also a special pokemon to hunt

and next time i want to see ninjask, it's the most awesome bug of them all!

mihay9245

i was busy in that period so i didnt enjoyed at the fullest... but it was a very good idea,holodecks ... not really good pokes in my opinion (but i already had 1 bulba and a gooood pinsir) ,yea...good insects for collection . i also wanted a ninjask:(

good quest...enjoyable..i did fishing surfing grass hunting :D good hours

my first event on this awesome game ,i want more now :D with some battlers

overall...was a good one

Electrofreak

I thought the idea was nice about implementing player created maps.

I feel the quest could be received differently based on how new to the game I was.

If I was new: I would find it amazing, because it gives me pokemon I could not catch. It also gave me the chance to get vouchers and hang out with friends on a new map in the same area. It let me socialize with people hunting in the same area.

If I was a moderate player who had spent a good amount of time: I would find the event to be great for finding a good bulbasaur for competitive battling as venusaur can be useful in the right circumstances. I would be excited to explore the new maps and hope to find some decent shinies.

As a veteran player from 2009: Since the shiny change to 20+, I find the need to grind diminished to nearly 0. Since 20+ shinies have little to no use in battle if they roll low ivs on a truly competitive level, I find it hard to find it worth the opportunity cost of inputting that much effort into grinding areas with no benefit other than vouchers. I also had 0 need for any of the pokemon in the area except arguably marill, but that would be for future use with huge power ability, not currently. I however DID ENJOY EXPLORING the maps! I loved the work put in to implement the player created maps. It was a WONDERFUL change of pace and scenery, but overall it was not worth me saying to grind out vouchers, when I have other options of what to do with my time.

I absolutely loved that idea. New maps to explore are always wonderful. The event maps were laid out well, and I personally enjoyed exploring them!

I never found the initial time period to be worth my time for hunting, so the extension did not really help. As a new player, or someone who has work on the weekend however, it was a WONDERFUL thing! I would highly recommend doing it again for the sake of others who would enjoy it!

I would have made the vouchers more puzzle/riddle oriented like the last one. I dislike the idea of mindless grinding being how you obtain vouchers. It is just a time sink and nothing you really feel accomplished doing really,at least for me.

I also would have put in some battle oriented pokes for the players who would like to hunt for those, such as roselia and shroomish. Roselia is mentioned because it eventually evolves from shiny stone that is in the voucher store.

6. ELECTROS SPECIAL NOTES:

I think the idea behind this as a rough sketch for future events, is a good one. I like where it was going in terms of getting player input on maps and to actually show that you enjoy players who are willing to put forth effort to put things in game. It is a great collaboration between staff and players. HOWEVER, I dislike the grinding aspect as it is rather shallow. My personal favorite event was the maze one. 10/10 on the maze event and the jokes that went into it. I would definitely love to see something like that again. Halloween maze events are nice as well as the special new maps with new pokemon such as festive town and the halloween cave place. (Please forgive that I do not remember the name.)

tl;dr
Less grinding and more about exploring IMO.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
I'm glad most of you enjoyed the event. As always we read all your feedback and take it into account when we plan future events.

I understand the idea of grinding for drop items and exchanging them for vouchers is an old one and for many pretty boring. The reason I try to push for these easy to make weekend events is simply that- they are simple and easy to create. The Trick Tower weekend event I'm sure most will agree was far more enjoyable and challenging as opposed to just being grindy- however that event took literally months in the making. As we get more scripters on board they will no doubt be like "This is rubbish, I can make something better than this" and go ahead and make more interesting and original events. For now to get the events out in a reasonable time-frame we really do need to keep them simple.

Having said that, if you have an idea for a weekend event, simple or otherwise, we'd also love to hear that. Make a showcase of it and who knows, it could be used as the basis for an upcoming event. We are at the point where we can stretch our limits somewhat, so original ideas can point us in new directions and may show us a new way to stretch them!

Electrofreak

HitmonFonty said:
I'm glad most of you enjoyed the event. As always we read all your feedback and take it into account when we plan future events.

I understand the idea of grinding for drop items and exchanging them for vouchers is an old one and for many pretty boring. The reason I try to push for these easy to make weekend events is simply that- they are simple and easy to create. The Trick Tower weekend event I'm sure most will agree was far more enjoyable and challenging as opposed to just being grindy- however that event took literally months in the making. As we get more scripters on board they will no doubt be like "This is rubbish, I can make something better than this" and go ahead and make more interesting and original events. For now to get the events out in a reasonable time-frame we really do need to keep them simple.

Having said that, if you have an idea for a weekend event, simple or otherwise, we'd also love to hear that. Make a showcase of it and who knows, it could be used as the basis for an upcoming event. We are at the point where we can stretch our limits somewhat, so original ideas can point us in new directions and may show us a new way to stretch them!

Just as a heads up, I wasn't being negative. I completely understand that, especially right now, things are limited. I just have an ungodly loathing for grinding in any game, not just here. I just find it hard to hunt since the 20+ update since I used to do nothing but hunt for shinies prior to that update. Overall I did enjoy the event, and was glad for the chance to obtain vouchers.

I would just also like to see more things added to the voucher store honestly such as and not limited to:
Devolution item(s) #shameless-self-plug-for-devolution-spray
IV reroller (Re-rolls the 6 iv numbers you have and randomly assorts them. NOT an entirely new roll.)
More pokemon eggs oriented to battle (riolu/sinnoh starters/roselia with shiny stone) *I know this is probably not possible or wanted by staff, but still suggesting.*

DeZoLa

Youngster
The maps were to large for no reason . There was no point hunting deep in the woods cause the spawns were the same. The spawns were great, iam looking forward for more events.

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
I haven't played frequently as before but I'm glad because I had enough time to hunt and enjoy the event. I liked it especially because players helped out to build anything else. I'm sad because I didn't find any Bulbasaur either due to the low encounter rate but it shouldn't be different.

Tolerable. As people said above it was something very common in other events. But considering the current staff limits I can understand.

The holodeck thing was a very cool idea and I loved both maps. We are familiarized with the same tiles and map concepts for all, events or not. It's nice to have something a bit different sometimes; break concepts.

Even during a troubled week I had enough time to finish the quest before the event is over. So I think . I feel as the vouchers are the main reward, especially because I found no Bulbasaur. In conclusion I think the extension was not totally needed during this event (it's an easy and obvious quest) but if it was used for those who had not enough free time to get the vouchers then it was worth regardless of spawns.

The way as items are obtained and exchanged for vouchers. Perhaps not through a wild battle?