Fishing

Merse

Youngster
Interesting... That would mean that there is a dice roll on every step and there is a fat chance that you roll a "nothing here".
But that contradicts to the old DD quest when we were encountering Pokes, which were labeled as HRs, on a 10-15 seconds basis.
Anyway, I have some math to do with this new piece of information :p

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Merse said:
Interesting... That would mean that there is a dice roll on every step and there is a fat chance that you roll a "nothing here".
But that contradicts to the old DD quest when we were encountering Pokes, which were labeled as HRs, on a 10-15 seconds basis.
Anyway, I have some math to do with this new piece of information :p

I did the old DD quest on 3 different accounts (maybe 4?) and never saw these 15 second HRs you be talking about. :p

Even the Rare slowpoke in the old water lab would only pop up a few times an hour from memory. And the VRs I'd still be lucky to find a couple a day maybe when I was hunting there 10+ hours each day looking for the skin there.

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
[glow=red]Fishing on Water Lab was so boring. Sometimes I spent 10 or more minutes spamming my old rod to fish something, almost ever a Tentacool. Bad times~ :-\ [/glow]

Boora

Youngster
the only doable thing right now is to introduce a new pokemon every 10 levels this way people will want to fish again
for example, @ lv 50 instead of dratini wailmor or politad lv 60 milotic, etc,
or just Revamp the fishing system all together, make it worth doing, make some pokes obtainable from fishing only.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Honestly imo the main problem is the fishing mechanic itself, it doesn't matter how many rare pokemon and levels you add to it the whole thing will only ever be boring. How to fix that is the big question.

Boora

Youngster
its like saying walking left right left right and clicking run for hours upon hours isn't boring, sure it is, but people do it to obtain the pokemons they desire.
there's nothing in the fishing system people want anymore, i remember gettin to lv 50 was a must on my old 09's account, now i dont think i passed lv 20 on my new account (1 year old) so again, get some new pokemons revamp it, shake things up a bit, and it wont be as boring

SOULTAKER1994

Chocobo7 said:
Honestly imo the main problem is the fishing mechanic itself, it doesn't matter how many rare pokemon and levels you add to it the whole thing will only ever be boring. How to fix that is the big question.
i was thinking since hoen was being planned and stuff why not update this ..add the super rod for players but it can only be bought and used when we have a certain amount of badges..super rod giving us slightly better chances of seeing an HR?

Merse

Youngster
It is a good idea, definitely would worth implementation later, but it wouldn't solve the general issue of the current fishing system is boring and uninspiring.
And I doubt if items could influence the encounter rate with the current client.

SOULTAKER1994

Merse said:
It is a good idea, definitely would worth implementation later, but it wouldn't solve the general issue of the current fishing system is boring and uninspiring.
And I doubt if items could influence the encounter rate with the current client.
If not better chances with seeing Hrs but higher levels of pokes being fished. example 50+ (In any map) like in the original games when we use the super rod we are able to find higher level of pokes

to fix the boring fishing system if special "Fishing" maps would be made (like a safari map but only for fishing) where we can encounter rare pokes like Mudkip (when Hoen is added)

Orean

Website
twitter.com
SOULTAKER94 said:
Merse said:
If not better chances with seeing Hrs but higher levels of pokes being fished. example 50+ (In any map) like in the original games when we use the super rod we are able to find higher level of pokes

to fix the boring fishing system if special "Fishing" maps would be made (like a safari map but only for fishing) where we can encounter rare pokes like Mudkip (when Hoen is added)

Would you more uniquely-set, area-specific fishing spawns, differentiated from the surfing spawns on the same route? It is possible for fish-encountered and surf-encountered water spawns to be separably set; it just hasn't been done yet, for the most part, presumably because there's been no sound conceptualization of which spawns should be fish-encounterable/surf-encounterable yet (think ecosystem: which water spawns would be more logically surface-oriented/dwell deep into the ocean, for fish and surf-encounters, respectively).

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
As I said earlier, different spawns would help give people a reason to fish, but why force them to use a broken and boring system?

It's like putting a gold nugget in a pile of poo. You're tricking players into thinking they want to dig around in something disgusting, when in reality they just want the gold nugget so badly that they would stick their hand in poop to get it.

Saying "I would want to fish if I could get a Gorebyss from it" is the exact same thing as sticking your hand in Poo to get a gold nugget.

It's not a viable long-term solution whatsoever. It's a very temporary one at best that would only work in the long-term with a rehauled fishing system.

SOULTAKER1994

To be honest i have no ideas on how to make it less boring for fishing.
i do have another suggestion related to adding the Good/Super Rod

we have Old Rod by the time its lvl 50 we can find dratini.. now many of us have probably stopped fishing after hitting the 50lvl Milestone my idea is that what if there was a limit on the levels gained on rods. Old rod max would be 50 Which can allow us to find pokes like dratini and below..
For good rod 51-80 allowing us to find dragonair and other pokes (If added in future) and Super Rod 80-Max(/99100) allowing us to get a perfect Hook each time we fish any levels any poke..as i said before to use the rods we should have a requirements like minimum numbers of badges and or have certain pokemon to trade to an NPC to require these rods ...just a thought

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
So there's been talk of unique spawns and rods but the general consensus is that they wouldn't help all that much (I personally still want unique fishing spawns for at least some maps anyway), what about changing the actual fishing? How would you go about doing that?

Also, random thought as I was writing this, it be be cool to have a small chance of finding a loose item while fishing :p

Merse

Youngster
Loose items would be awesome :) But there must be a high variety from pokeball to shiny stone or other similarly highly sought item.
What do you mean by "changing the actual fishing"? I mean, reading back, the whole conversation runs out to the conclusion that the fishing system itself is the problem, so yeah, it would be necessary IMO to change it. I already tossed my two cents in in a previous post about how I imagine a reworked fishing system. Although I doubt if it is doable with the current client.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
The mechanics of it, atm fishing is just click one button, hope to fight, wait 10 seconds, repeat. I know hunting isn't the most enjoyable activity ever so ways to improve that really. However if poeple just want something that can be doing while watching a film then who am I to argue? :p

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
As I said a few posts back, make fishing about upgrading your gear/unlocking new things.

SpartacusBrah

bump for something to be done with fishing, I haven't even purchased a pole because why would I?

Fishing only pokemon

Alomomola
Basculin
Carvanha
Chinchou
Eelektrik
Eelektross
Feebas
Finneon
Goldeen
Gorebyss
Huntail
Lanturn
Lumineon
Luvdisc
Magikarp
Octillery
Qwilfish
Relicanth
Remoraid
Seaking
Sharpedo
Stunfisk
Tynamo

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
[glow=red]Maybe it's a good idea, SpartacusBrah. But some of these pokémons have not been introduced in PWO yet and I think we don't have a region to spawn them. [/glow] :p