Fishing

pokearcanine

fishing system was something i really liked at pwo,where you needed to be skilled enough to catch some pokes(everybody wanted to reach lv50 for dratini :p )but then,after surfing was added,fishing became a useless feature in game,the only use i see for fishing atm is for doing Dragons Den quest(dratini skin) and i would really like to see fishing back in game,so my idea is quite simple:Low the rarity of pokes when hunted by fishing or add some cool pokes to be obtained only by fishing,maybe another idea you might have,it would be just cool if fishing would have some advantages over surfing,as you need to level up to be able to catch better pokes,and hunt by fishing is harder than surfing(you need to wait 10 secs if dont get a nibble)

Tecknician

Wait you like the fishing system? I always viewed it as a horrible system that was even worse type of grinding than a ditto to level 100.

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
[glow=red]Fishing has currently no utility because dratini can be dropped by surfing too. I really like the idea. Maybe make pokémons more easy of catch by fishing or make the catch rate proporcional to the fishing level is a good motivation to make the feature more useable. I would apreciate new water-types pokémons introduced, possible fishing weekend events, etc... And making an observation; I think the feature is less useable maybe due the difficulty of fishing and the time we have to wait untill be able to fish other pokémon again. :p [/glow]

pokearcanine

Empress Teck said:
Wait you like the fishing system? I always viewed it as a horrible system that was even worse type of grinding than a ditto to level 100.
you say that cause its hard to level up?being hard to level up is one reason to it have better chances/higher pool of pokes

LordBelemuel

I hated the fishing system since the day I got the old rod although I'm only level 7 in fishing I stopped the moment I knew it was going to be grinding, I believe its flawed and needs to be re-done but that's not my decision to make just stating my opinion :p

Tendou

Fishing is the worst thing yes, but we always know it can be better, the cooldown will not change also, unless they remove it cause there is already a kind of anti fishing bot. Lowering rarities will not help the fishing itself but i do think staff can do a review about it and they can build a better fishing way so everyone would enjoy it, they can also add average base exp pokes in such list as your fishing value is currently pokemon's base exp.

For better building i mean the fishing levels to get such poke, an example is slowpoke you can fish it in Tohjo Falls as rare but you need fishing level 50 while you can farm for it in Safari Zone 4 as very rare and fishing level 20 so it is kinda confused cause the rare verson needs like near 3x more worth for a poke that aint really that great for that fishing lv.

I.Am

pokearcanine said:
the only use i see for fishing atm is for doing Dragons Den quest(dratini skin)
IIRC we can farm Dratini Skin with surfboard. :) So yea, fishing is kinda useless right now.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Tendou said:
Fishing is the worst thing yes, but we always know it can be better, the cooldown will not change also, unless they remove it cause there is already a kind of anti fishing bot.

Even if the cooldown time was removed (which would make it easier for botters, since—despite what countermeasures do exist—it would give them less hitches), would it actually make the fishing skill anymore enjoyable? Based on the feedback and suggestions in this thread, as well as my own personal experiences, many would still find this skill zestless in its current form because it lacks perks that most production-based skills would have in other MMOs:

• Exclusive loot. The contextual loot for PWO would be Pokemon, of course. However, as mentioned by others, the spawns have minimal-to-no variation for fishing-encounterable spawns, and surf-encounterable spawns—the latter of which is readily available without any inherent grinding required.
  • PVE requirements. To be less general, attaining these skill levels may be required for a quest/activity, but as hinted, surfing is a more readily available resort in this respect as well.
  • Miscellaneous unlockables.[/b] This can include different tiers of gear, capabilities, enhancers, etc... As it is right now, there is just a linear line of fishing-spawn unlockables down the levels, which is an exclusivity that is negated by these same Pokemon being surf-encounterable (as mentioned earlier).

Grinding typically tends to be required to the point of tedium for these type of skills, but with the lack of perks at the end of the tunnel for fishing, I can understand why many may find it off-putting to grind to any real stretch of one's patience.

Merse

Youngster
I loved the fishing system too. It could be used very creatively. For example on higher levels your chances for HRs could become better (not much, but slightly). Then again, we could introduce hunting XP too, with he same effect, bu I have no idea how could you earn that :D Maybe with the basic XP when you faint a Pokemon, or on encounter in very small amounts (1 XP per common 10 per HR, you need 1000 to reach level 1).

And taking back one of my older ideas: Zone XP. The more time you spend on a map, the more you will know the area and its inhabitants, making it slightly easier to find HRs. This XP should decay over time if you don't spend some time in that particular area.

Aaaand my OTHER XP idea: Hunting XP MkII (I have no better name for it). The basic idea was to make the hunt for a certain Pokemon easier. You could set up which Pokemon you're hunting and if you're on a map where that Poke can be caught, this XP increases on every encounter, but resets once you leave the map, and increases the chance of finding that particular Pokemon. At max level (which would be a long time to reach, maybe 50 or 100 hours of continuous hunting), the chance would increase so much that the Pokemon (until the first encounter) would be one category easier to encounter. A HR would have a chance of a VR.
The concept is that you're tracking down that certain Poke, you're getting closer, but if you leave the map, you lose track of that Poke and the XP resets. It also resets when you find that certain Poke. The point was to somehow compensate long and patient hunting.

pokearcanine

Merse said:
I loved the fishing system too. It could be used very creatively. For example on higher levels your chances for HRs could become better (not much, but slightly). Then again, we could introduce hunting XP too, with he same effect, bu I have no idea how could you earn that :D Maybe with the basic XP when you faint a Pokemon, or on encounter in very small amounts (1 XP per common 10 per HR, you need 1000 to reach level 1).

And taking back one of my older ideas: Zone XP. The more time you spend on a map, the more you will know the area and its inhabitants, making it slightly easier to find HRs. This XP should decay over time if you don't spend some time in that particular area.

Aaaand my OTHER XP idea: Hunting XP MkII (I have no better name for it). The basic idea was to make the hunt for a certain Pokemon easier. You could set up which Pokemon you're hunting and if you're on a map where that Poke can be caught, this XP increases on every encounter, but resets once you leave the map, and increases the chance of finding that particular Pokemon. At max level (which would be a long time to reach, maybe 50 or 100 hours of continuous hunting), the chance would increase so much that the Pokemon (until the first encounter) would be one category easier to encounter. A HR would have a chance of a VR.
The concept is that you're tracking down that certain Poke, you're getting closer, but if you leave the map, you lose track of that Poke and the XP resets. It also resets when you find that certain Poke. The point was to somehow compensate long and patient hunting.
i like this idea in general,unlucky trainers spend days on same map and get nothing most times,thats makes them give up on hunting again ever

I.Am

Fishing will be more interesting if they have specific pokes available to hunt from fishing only. For an example Magikarp - Common available to hunt by fishing and not surfing. I love Merse idea and i think fishing should have specific HR like Mantine but not available to surfing.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
1) Tiers of rods exist (old, good, super, ultimate)
2) You must Level up/"master" one rod before you can get the next one
3) Each rod unlocks new spawns (old rod only catches tentacool, good rod can catch horsea/karp/goldeen/etc)
4) Completing every rod gives access to an exclusive fishing club. It'd be a high level level area that has exclusive fishing spawns.
*) Optional: Fishing club could be in a heavily restored Cerulean Cave, with the cave-like 1f available to "fishing apprentices" and an extension in 2f available to full club members/fishing masters.

PROS- AFK Botters would have to spend the entire first day botting worthless pokes. Meanwhile, legit players could upgrade their rod and continue immediately. It puts afk botters at an initial disadvantage when compared to legit users and slows them down a bit.

They would also have to heavily invest money to fully upgrade their rods. Especially if they are banned more than once. Currently, they can just buy a 10k rod and let the bot level up endlessly until it can get HRs- no need to check their progress or do anything manually. But now they'll have to check in periodically and return illegitimate, botted money back to the game.

Surfboard price can go way down, as the available surf spawns would pale in comparison. The rod would become more prestigious and profitable, while the surfboard would be directly linked to progressing through the game and exploration. Furthermore, the rod upgrades would definitely make up for the money sink the surfboard used to be. The rod would be a worthwhile luxury item and the board could be the cheap progression item it should've been for a long time now.

Player progress and effort will be recognized and encouraged from the game. Gaining levels will feel much more satisfying than current system. Players will have an ultimate goal, but will get boosts of motivation as they work toward it. Unlocking new rods and spawns and the act of upgrading your gear will go a long way toward making fishing fun.

Not TL;DR:
I suggest you add separate rods with separate catchable pokemon per tier (Yes- Old Rod, Good Rod, etc). Once you "Master" one rod (Fill an exp bar), you get to own the next one -which allows you to hook a larger variety of pokes. After, you can get a super rod. When you finish that, you get one final, ultimate rod that you don't have to level up. With it, you could gain access to a fishing club, which has its own high-level grinding spots with an exp gain comparable to Mt. silver. (It'd be an Exotic fishing club, a place with a beautiful interior and fun NPCs + access to TMs, like Dragon Club.)

How is this better than what we have now/other systems, you ask? Because it shows distinct levels of progress and reward. We had very vague "progress markers" through fishing levels, but those aren't explained ingame ( only through the wiki, lol). And the only thing you can do with a higher level is...well, fish more.

My slightly changed system is about becoming a fishing master, upgrading your gear and having distinct advantages over surfers/grass grinders. You have your own club that is exclusive AND useful. Your ultimate rod could even be used in places like Dragon's Den or other exclusive land areas.

In terms of botters, they'd be slowed down because they'd have to grind with an old rod initially (AKA tentacools only). They couldn't just stand in one place immediately, ALL DAY and get profit form just leaving the game running. They'd also have to invest money into upgrades (yes, good rods and super rods would cost money; its how the club maintains itself).

However, the most important thing is that, through it all, players would be working toward an ultimate goal that gives them "checkpoint" rewards (better spawns) and recognition for their progress. Currently, Its just a number game. No impactful celebration. We all know you don't want a Goldeen, so why do you care if you reach the skill level for it? You don't. Exactly.

But, what if you unlocked Horsea, Poliwag, Goldeen, Qwilfish, Slowpoke, and krabby at the same time? That's not bad. And next rod you could get Shellder, Chinchou, Psyduck, Corsola, Mantine and Barboach. Oh look, you're just one step away from Lapras, Dratini, Carvanha, Remoraid, and Corphish!

Even before surfing and with the current system, it was boring; people just wanted to get a Dratini. The journey to Dratini sucked. Fishing was not fun with exclusive spawns alone.

With this system, it can be an adventure worth having.

[SIDENOTE: Heck, the fishing club could have bought Cerulean Cave. The 2F is for full members exclusively, but the club left the first floor open for fishing apprentices. (This first floor would be a training area for players with 7 or 17 badges. It'd have non-valuable but high level spawns, and the player could exclusively obtain a free old rod here. 2F itself would be an awesome place that gives benefits to its members as stated above. Exotic, high level fishing and all that.]

Merse

Youngster
Zebby you realized that your TL;DR is actually shorter than the Not TL;DR part? :D
I like your idea by the way, except of the CC part. CC is where Mewtow hides, it should be left that way IMO.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Merse said:
Zebby you realized that your TL;DR is actually shorter than the Not TL;DR part? :D
I like your idea by the way, except of the CC part. CC is where Mewtow hides, it should be left that way IMO.

Haha. Didn't realize the "Not tl;dr" part would be interpreted that way. I wrote it thinking of Tl;DR as a mindset of people who don't like to read long things. The not Tl;DR part is for people who don't feel that way about text. But I guess it could go either way.

Glad you like the overall idea. Cerulean Cave would just kill 2 birds with one stone, but it is not necessary and I wouldn't cry over it being cut out.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
What we obviously need is a fishing boat in each harbour (Olivine and Vermillion) that travels to different fishing spots on a weekly basis, so you get a rotating set of spawns over a reasonable period of time.

/half serious idea

SOULTAKER1994

Chocobo7 said:
What we obviously need is a fishing boat in each harbour (Olivine and Vermillion) that travels to different fishing spots on a weekly basis, so you get a rotating set of spawns over a reasonable period of time.

/half serious idea
and those fishing spots only have R/Vrs/Hrs.. no commons other wise well might end up spending loads of Pokedollars and ending up with karps T_T

Merse

Youngster
But that would mean that Rares are in fact commons, VRs are rares and HRs are VRs. It would do nothing else than completely ruin the value of even mroe Pokemon. Remember when we had to fish for Dratini? The same thing happened there...

SOULTAKER1994

Merse said:
But that would mean that Rares are in fact commons, VRs are rares and HRs are VRs. It would do nothing else than completely ruin the value of even mroe Pokemon. Remember when we had to fish for Dratini? The same thing happened there...
noonooo what i mean is it can be as hard to find those rares/vr/hrs(as it normally is) it should be the same it would be interesting only hunting for those

Merse

Youngster
I still don't get it. How "hard" to find a poke is decided by a several thousand sided dice upon encounter - if you like the analogy. Most of the sides have some common Pokes on them, a few have Rares, very few have VRs and only 1-2 have HRs.
Form what we know, Pokemon encounters happen like this: Encounter happens (you hear the music). Diceroll for what Poke you encounter. Diceroll for being shiny. Diceroll for level and IVs. And finally, the battle screen is loaded.
The dice is rolled on every encounter, so in every 10-15 seconds of walking in tall grass or surfing (not counting the time of course when you battle, only the pure walking time). Now, if you have ONLY rares, VRs and HRs, you get a dice with no commons on it, only rarer pokes. That means that on every encounter you will find a Rare, a VR, or a HR and no chance for commons. Basically all this would do is to eliminate common pokes and reduce every other poke's rarity by one level. Or what do you want to do? Make dice rolls on encounters when you encounter nothing?
I'm sorry, but either I miss something or this makes no sense...

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
There are a couple of major flaws in your reasoning Merse. First, you aren't guaranteed an encounter 'every 15 steps'. The chance of each encounter is still based on the rarity and actual number value placed on that pokemon. So if you have 3 1/10, 2 1/50, 1 1/1000, 1 1/10,000- all chances are happening at one time. So when rares have to share with commons they are harder to find, but there is still, for example, only 1/10,000 to find that HR 'every 15 steps... or whatever that amount is. There was actually a cave in PWO once- Secret Area 2 near the current caves to Splitting River. That only had Rares and HR or something like that. You could literally run around the whole cave several times without encountering a thing. So yes without the competition rarer pokemon will be encountered more often, but Rares do not become commons etc, etc.

I'll leave you to guess the second mistake since it is off-topic to this discussion. :p