Concerning system bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroGaki

Does that system message telling you to move appear on the chat such like the fishing experience gained from a battle or it does like a server will be locked in 'x' minutes? (A warning at the center the screen)?

My point is... When I did the Dragon Den Quest, I remember a time when I was watching a movie at the same time and had the chat minimized while trying to find a Dratini Skin, therefore, I couldn't see the warnings to move away if they appear there. I wasn't using any bot system, but myself working like one... When the battle music started (or a sudden screen change happened) I'd look away from the movie window and battle.

I think If this system was working in my time I could've been banned. And it'd be really unfair since I never breaked any rules whatsoever.

In my opinion, trying to be the most efficient/quick on this kind of tasks isn't (obviously) cheating. And I believe 80% of the banned people because of this new system wheren't bots.

This post might seem a bit stupid since I wasn't affected by this, but I put myself in the banned people's shoes (and I think many people should do the same) and I understand their frustration 100%. I spent 50 hours looking for that damn skin, I would be damn mad if I was banned because of some system made to prevent people from cheating which worked the exactly opposite way...

Cause, come to think of it... if someone is using a bot, I believe it can be easily set to move after x minutes... Cheaters bypass it, they don't get banned. Non-cheaters, try to be the most efficient possible, they get banned.

I suggest blocking the fishing when someone kept fishing continuosly for a random time. People would have to type like '/unlockfish" on the chat, and it'd be unlocked. If players wouldd abuse unlocking fishing when they weren't locked, they would be banned, because they would quite certainly be bots... I thought of this while I was writing this post, so I believe it might be adjusted.

Anyway, if this takes too much work (I believe it does), make a screen warning just like the "Server is restarting in 'x' minutes" ones. Chat warning isn't enough...

Sorry for the long post, but I think many players will identify themselves with my point of view. It was required someone who wasn't affected by this method "criticize" it so it wouldn't look like a «rage posting».

Tendou

EroGaki said:
Does that system message telling you to move appear on the chat such like the fishing experience gained from a battle or it does like a server will be locked in 'x' minutes? (A warning at the center the screen)?

My point is... When I did the Dragon Den Quest, I remember a time when I was watching a movie at the same time and had the chat minimized while trying to find a Dratini Skin, therefore, I couldn't see the warnings to move away if they appear there. I wasn't using any bot system, but myself working like one... When the battle music started (or a sudden screen change happened) I'd look away from the movie window and battle.

I think If this system was working in my time I could've been banned. And it'd be really unfair since I never breaked any rules whatsoever.

In my opinion, trying to be the most efficient/quick on this kind of tasks isn't (obviously) cheating. And I believe 80% of the banned people because of this new system wheren't bots.

This post might seem a bit stupid since I wasn't affected by this, but I put myself in the banned people's shoes (and I think many people should do the same) and I understand their frustration 100%. I spent 50 hours looking for that damn skin, I would be damn mad if I was banned because of some system made to prevent people from cheating which worked the exactly opposite way...

Cause, come to think of it... if someone is using a bot, I believe it can be easily set to move after x minutes... Cheaters bypass it, they don't get banned. Non-cheaters, try to be the most efficient possible, they get banned.

I suggest blocking the fishing when someone kept fishing continuosly for a random time. People would have to type like '/unlockfish" on the chat, and it'd be unlocked. If players wouldd abuse unlocking fishing when they weren't locked, they would be banned, because they would quite certainly be bots... I thought of this while I was writing this post, so I believe it might be adjusted.

Anyway, if this takes too much work (I believe it does), make a screen warning just like the "Server is restarting in 'x' minutes" ones. Chat warning isn't enough...

Sorry for the long post, but I think many players will identify themselves with my point of view. It was required someone who wasn't affected by this method "criticize" it so it wouldn't look like a «rage posting».

I didnt treat ur post as raging, people would be more careful if they were following forum's updates, i'm pretty sure tons of them just log here for ban appeals purposes, reading will be always the key.
However hiding chat messages are never a good deal, any server message may suddently appears to note you about "blah" thing not only about mutes' proccess. It is like spamming fishing rod, it was never a good thing and it will be never a good thing. Well, sometimes, when i do want avoid spam from others channels i just create a random channel of my own cause i will know there can be any suddently act from the server at anytime due this still beta. Also the forums will be always your friend, id recommend you to keep being updated everytime before logging in.

And since i rarely uses rod i don't know what message is supposed to appear but it can be a note instead a warning and it tends to be a warn if you do not follow it cause if a human isn't following the server will think you're not a human.

ExplorerU2

entiendo el trabajo que realizan , pero lamentablemente aveces no nos imformamos de los cambios que se realiza , mi cuenta la cerraron y me dicen que fue por el uso de bot , la cual es falso , lo normalmente que hago es juggar y en muchas ocasiones otros usuarios me hablan y solo los ignoro pero por eso no quiere decir que soy un bot , no tengo mucho conocimiento acerca del bot , y ignore eso de moverse , es verdad que me llegaron varios pm pero no sabia que se trataba de eso , y por ultimo soy latino y no se mucho ingles asi que deberian incluir el castellano o español al pwo para que asi pueda imformar a todos que cambio se ha realizado .bueno ahora pierdo otra cuenta de pwo y sin motivo y por lo que veo nadie se hace responsable de eso , que trizte que personal de un juego no trate de ayudar alos usuarios

get the work done, but unfortunately sometimes we imformamos of changes is done, they closed my account and tell me it was for the use of bot, which is false, what I do is juggar usually and often other I speak and only users ignore them but that does not mean I'm a bot, I have not much knowledge about the bot, and ignore it to move, it's true that I got several pm but did not know it was that, and Finally'm Latino and not much English so should include the Castilian or Spanish to pwo so can imformar to everyone that change was made. well now lose another pwo account without reason and I see no one takes responsibility that, that you personal a trizte game alos not try to help users

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
I personally spent two full months- 8 hours plus most days cloistered in the Water Lab hunting the dratini skin before it was closed down. Of course I multi-tasked, watching dvd's or whatever at the same time, but why wouldn't you watch the screen as well? You need to know when you get a pokemon hooked, you need to be paying attention enough to know what pokemon it is- whether it was a dratini- or a shiny- etc. And in the case now in Route 45 you also need to keep an eye on the battle messages to see if the dratini skin dropped. And then if you miss the battle message because you weren't paying attention fully you have to most likely scroll through your items to see if it's appeared. No, if you're playing the game and paying even half attention to what you're doing you won't miss the messages. This is an awesome update.

EroGaki

When I was searching for the Dratini Skin I had the movie I was watching on-top-window using Deskpins in the up-right corner. It covered everything but the name of the pokemon... (I just checked the S for shinies). Once in a while (like every hour) I checked the bag for the skin, I couldn't see the right part of the screen, so I couldn't see the warning messages, still, even if I closed the movie window, 1 hour of warnings? I guess I'd be banned before that.

Tom210

no offense but this seems like a horrible way to address the problem, you guys really couldnt think of anything else but banning players who fish too much? not even a kick? what if a player always hides the chat, how will they know? Think about these things, I recommend you take this out immediately.
perhaps change it to a kick? or make it prompt instead of kicking/banning? that will stop a botter too and not ban all these innocent, yes INNOCENT players

Merse

Youngster
I don't think that those who don't realize that they didn't catch anything in 5 minutes are really behind their computer.

Valmagier

Tom210 said:
that will stop a botter too and not ban all these innocent, yes INNOCENT players
I don't share your opinion. If you play and don't pay enough attention to recognize, that you are not able to catch a "fish" in a while and still hit the rod, where is the difference to a botter who does the same? I like the change and support it!

EroGaki

I admit that 5 minutes getting that warning / not being able to get a nibble might be a bit too much,but I remember one time where I got something like 10 "You don't get any nibble" in a row. 20*10 = more than 3 minutes...

The thing is, even if this doesn't ban innocent players, it won't ban bots either, because bots can move in 'x minutes' too!

Merse

Youngster
The system warns you that you should move because your chances on that spot are negligible after a few catches. The system bans you if you stay on the same place too long despite of the message.

Saric

Youngster
Merse said:
The system warns you that you should move because your chances on that spot are negligible after a few catches. The system bans you if you stay on the same place too long despite of the message.
But it's not overly difficult to get around this either. This has good intentions, but the way it's carried out leaves a bit to be desired.

Merse

Youngster
I agree it just makes the things a bit more complicated, but not a real sollution. Still, it's better than nothing if the devs plan to build on this and develop a more effective way to ban botters.
Plus I kinda like the idea of making you move when you're fishing. Although I would increase the time you could spend at one spot. It is fishing after all, you should be able to take a 3 hours nap while you keep fishing :D

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Every system has it's flaws. And as I was a consultant for this change, I must admit I'm very disappointed to see how many people have been banned by it already and especially the amount who the only excuse was their own unawareness. I am, however, pleased that people understand the good intentions such a system was intended to uphold.

All the feedback is very appreciated and we will continue to consider all comments made. Additionally, if anyone feels they have ideas that would be just as effective for deterring cheaters/macroers; but less punishing on the innocent, the PWO Staff would only be too eager to hear them.

GawertyXL

this might cause server lag for all the fishers, but as ive noticed for people who get membership experience when they get into a battle, why not make this move message appear above the chatbox like membership gains, rather than in the chatbox, this would make it better in the manner that these people who claim "I had my chatbox closed, this is unfair!" cant claim this.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Hmm... actually, I wonder if we can make at least one of the messages show up in the client-side message boxes that you have to click "Ok" on to dismiss...?

king1234

Youngster
Jinji said:
Hmm... actually, I wonder if we can make at least one of the messages show up in the client-side message boxes that you have to click "Ok" on to dismiss...?

I was about to suggest that, believe it or not, I just came from testing some fishing, and saw the warnings, and i wasn't paying attention i would have gotten banned. Also you have to choose a different square to fish to cancel it hmm, oh well. IT does indeed give you ample chances to change.

TheMatrix

Just checked the ban appeal section , a lot of players just got banned using fishing bot . But i don't think they are fool enough to bot again on the same for a long time after come to know about this . They can also move in 'x' minutes . I think their botting scheme will also be upgrade with update in anti - cheat system xD

Merse

Youngster
A system message would be cool. But if you're fishing for a long time for a HR or a Dratini skin, clicking OK in every 2 minutes would be very annoying IMO. I prefer the idea of just putting the message outside of the chatbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.