Concerning system bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Merse said:
A system message would be cool. But if you're fishing for a long time for a HR or a Dratini skin, clicking OK in every 2 minutes would be very annoying IMO. I prefer the idea of just putting the message outside of the chatbox.

This has been suggested before, and one foreseen flaw in it is that such messages may vanish considerably fast, wherein the same users who claim to be only loosely attentive to the screen may find such a message inconspicuous as well.

Although I see where you are coming from, with your opinion on a window-based messaged message popping up, it's important to reiterate that such messages would only begin popping up at a point where the probability of dead fish-encounters has increased. Due to the disincentive of dead encounters, it would be an ideal time to move to another area, precluding the annoyance of any continuous pop-up messages- until you are stationary at the new area long enough to trigger a new message.

Do note that it is not intended for the initial pop-up message to be triggered at an annoyingly fast time either.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
I don't see how it's any more annoying to click 'ok' every few minutes than it is to fish already. We are already clicking the rod and attacking the pokemon to hunt for the skin- or even if we're just running one extra click isn't going to hurt anyone.

DoreanBV

There is one problem nobody addressed yet. When the maps aren't loading, the only thing you can do is fish. At least that's what I am doing when I have the luck to log out next to water and return when the maps aren't loading... So that basically means you can't move, only fish in the same spot, which of course means being banned. So in a situation like this, another way of reseting fishing would be welcome... like a command or something.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
True, map not loading means you can't fish either now. Sad, but you won't get banned if you just stop fishing when the message tells you to move on instead of continuing on when you know you'll get little or no response to your fishing anyway. If blackscreen is due to the website being down as it often is when it's persistent then the server is usually manually shut down by Admin anyway until the website comes back up again.

ksalim313

Well, once I saw Thugie's comment on the people spamming the fishing rod and how does such an act interfere with the server (since it overwhelm the server with requests) I couldn't help to wonder, why would you use the server to do most of the work?!

I mean, imagine the processing power and storage capacity behind each client used by a player, why can't you use it to your advantage rather than a dumpy interface sending requests to the server with minimum computations?!

For example, the fishing rod (Old Rod), why would the client send request to the server every time a player click on the Old Rod?! the client can easily detect the cool down time of the item and sends the request only after the cool down period, this way might reduce number of requests sent to the server, which may decrease the server utilization (which is a good thing in real time applications, preferably under 65%) and of course any "innocent" player spamming the item for boredom or any other reason will not fall into the banning trap unless he/she was using a 3rd party software to resend specific packets to the server (replay attack), in this case the automatic banning system will deal with them.

The client can also do a magnificent work when a player get stuck outside a map, it can just ask the server to change the player's location to a safe place or to the last visited pokemon center.

Also the server and client can work together when the maps' server is down; the server can just lock itself and reject any new connection and iteratively for each map can check players stuck without a map and ask client with this maps loaded to upload the map to it and the server send it to the stuck players.

All I'm saying is the client can do some computation for the server just to reduce lag possibilities and many other features, depending only on the server to do the hard work will increase the server utilization and consequently increase the response time for each request (lag) and it's a good idea to make harmless use of the client side resources.

For the on screen message, well I don't know, it could be annoying to some player to click to dismiss the message every 5 minutes or so, I think it might need more investigation.

For players stuck in unloaded map and try fishing as their last resort, well, why can't we add a possibility for changing the location; we can every 5 minutes fishing add a high chance of replacing the spot and the chance increase each time till the player actually change the spot or add a longer cool down time for the spot to re-fish at it, like another 5 minutes.

I'm just throwing what is in my mind now, maybe you'll find something useful in it.
good job everyone and continue the good work, I really appreciate it :)

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The basic answer to that is: The current client isn't capable of that; and the developer of it is no longer around. But Hardcoreh is working on a new client which will first recreate; then improve on our current - and I'm sure he would be pleased to hear suggestions such as these :)

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
ksalim313 said:
Well, once I saw Thugie's comment on the people spamming the fishing rod and how does such an act interfere with the server (since it overwhelm the server with requests) I couldn't help to wonder, why would you use the server to do most of the work?!
While I don't know any of the specifics, it has been stated on multiple occasions that people using such bots cause the server numerous problems and they have bene known to crash the server at times as well. The problem is that the people who use bots don't think, all they see is an 'easy' way to get rich ingame without all the negative aspects using them causes as they harm the game far and away more than the benefit that person would get.

Santymoon

Well when i was fishing horseas in route 47 i was watching tv........ i think almost players do other activities while they try to caught a 1/1000 item.. anyway .. I need an answer to my post i "ban appeals" i've been banned since days and no Adming/gm /dev answers :S. Pliss i want my account !

Merse

Youngster
Couldn't the message pop up like an NPC conversation, or like some system messages in the middle of the screen?

king1234

Youngster
Merse said:
Couldn't the message pop up like an NPC conversation, or like some system messages in the middle of the screen?

And the player can press space bar to get rid of it,

The-Predator

Youngster
Merse said:

actually i think Thugie meant the message to be like this thats why the "i had the chat closed" excuse isnt working to appeal, not sure about this but the message Thugie said warns u about move its like when the system send a message that the game is about to be locked/turned off (a message that pop up)

Nikola

Youngster
Out of curiosity...If system window appears, people should be able to walk and spam fish rod through it without pressing "X" or "OK" on it in order to walk and such?

Batterie_AA

maybe if you switch the color green to red to show that there is an error... would be cool, i've been banned because i wasn't reading, i thought i just didn't get a pokemon and had to wait for use my rod again. so red message to change spot and yellow maybe to say that the spot is about to be out of pokemon...

rennpas

Hey u guys, i tried to get into my game and they said the system banned me, and i should post here, i dont know, it means someone else is playing? i just wanna my raichu back :/

Norinio

i nee to log in my ancount hast ben baned i don loged because i have problem (Norinio)

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Norinio said:
i nee to log in my ancount hast ben baned i don loged because i have problem (Norinio)

You need to post this question in the Ban Appeals section of the forums under Community Watch. Also you can find the reason for your ban by logging into the Playerdex and clicking on 'My Settings and Status'.

Status
Not open for further replies.