Chinese New Year Festival Event- Feedback!

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Yes, it's that time again. Please post your feedback of the latest event here so we can make the next one even better!

If you liked the event, tell us why- what did you like most?

If you didn't like it, or some part of it, why not?

How did you like the quests? Is there anything you particularly liked or disliked about any of them?

And what about the prizes? Vouchers and the pizes given in them are mostly all new, are they as good as you expected? Better, worse?

Did you like or dislike having to find out for yourself what pokemon were in the event?

And what about the spawns? Did you like the pokemon in the event? Were they too hard to get? Too easy? Too many or too few?

Did you like the story if you actually paid attention to it? Or was it all about the quests/prizes and rare pokemon for you?

Also what did you think about having the quests spread out over the festival, instead of having them all available at once? The idea for this came from the fact that the Festival days have different meanings, but if it's preferred to have it this way it could easily be adopted in other events too.

And I shouldn't forget the mappers, let us know what you thought of the maps too. :)

Just a few questions to help you get started. Answer some, all or none. But if you have some feedback, any at all, it will be appreciated. :) We really do take note of it and will take it into consideration for upcoming events and quests etc.

Tendou

It is the first unexpected event that had caught us by surprise yiiiiiiikes!

We know Chinese New Year events (at least for me) are huge event that not all games are able to do, but i would like to follow the elements history. The part i didnt like was about not battling with the Element's Heavenly creatures THAT WOULD be EPIC.

How did you like the quests? Is there anything you particularly liked or disliked about any of them?
Lazy peep dont tend to read the quests but I DO LIKE to read their descriptions and how they were build (i skipped sometimes when i had short time to play it) , they were amazing and oh noes the balance had broken we need a hero to give him deadly tasks.

And what about the prizes? Vouchers and the pizes given in them are mostly all new, are they as good as you expected? Better, worse?
Event Voucher sounds good we had even a discussion about it months ago, that means we will now have a way to have some pokemons being avaliable over time and, as any game, patience is a virtue. The best deal would be giving moderate amount of pokedollar so newbies can enjoy and make the events their aid for the current task (collecting all badges)

Did you like or dislike having to find out for yourself what pokemon were in the event?
Pokemons were OK for this event but we can consider a better build so even new players can be able to move on easily during events, instead a geodude it would be a common graveler for exp grinding by example.

And what about the spawns? Did you like the pokemon in the event? Were they too hard to get? Too easy? Too many or too few?
I can't really answer that properly cause i have great ball upgrade xD but PWO staff added the pokemons to fits the event. that was really fun and enjoyable (caves are still annoying meh) but some pokemons werent supposed to be there like Hitmontop imo.

Did you like the story if you actually paid attention to it? Or was it all about the quests/prizes and rare pokemon for you?
Chaos was around the area when some people said the Nian was returned so LETS PAINT EVERYTHING RED and wait for a hero to save us from this issue even the pokemons were holding the Angpao (RED envelope in chinese) to keep the Nian far away from theyselves.

Preiboydobone

I really enjoyed the quests, the history, the fact of different pokes could be found on different maps I was able to see a good planning on it. On the other hand, for me, vouchers aren't a solid idea for prizes, i mean, it's a event it only happens once so the prizes should be unique imo. :))

I.Am

Ponyta become common and voucher as reward.

Nope. I liked it. :)

I like the quests except the long delay between quests.

Yep. Its good. Saving my voucher right now for higher tier. :p

Nah its good but i still didnt like that idea because some troll players will spread rumor about they found "A" poke in some location even though its not and make other players wasting their time for nothing. Its only matter of time.

I do not hunting too much in this event and no comment. Hehe.

Yea i did pain attention to the story line and its pretty good.

cyy5113

I really enjoyed this event; it's fun and awesome. Few of the things that I want to say:
- The quests are indeed challenging, but with nice rewards
- Some catchable Pokemon act as symbols for the Fire element quest (Ponyta and Rapidash: 2014 Year of Horse, Ekans and Arbok: 2013 Year of Snake) since the quest conveys a meaning: we have to keep snakes away from the town so the horses wouldn't be afraid (signifies 2013 just passed and 2014 came) ;)
- It features all the legends and stories of Chinese New Year and introduces Chinese culture
- Nice plum blossom tree, lanterns and red-colored buildings 8)
- Discovering what pokemon is catchable by ourselves is exciting
- Maximum number of Angpao you can hold is 999? Nooooo, I wanted more money ;D
- Language translation should be improved (example: Meizhu Shenlin Forest, "Shenlin" means forest in Mandarin, so it means "Bamboo forest forest"?, lol :p)

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
The good- Very thorough, well thought out and interesting culturally. The scenery was well done, and I liked the story that was associated with Chinese lore.

How did you like the quests? Is there anything you particularly liked or disliked about any of them? I liked things like finding bamboo/bamboo fairies, I didn't mind being a courier for the family drama either. I loved fighting raikou, but I feel like it should have been later on in the event as something of a climax, and could have been built up more. The story line behind the vulpix was interesting, but not enough to make up for the monotonous, boring training that I had to go through to get through it.

And what about the prizes? Vouchers and the pizes given in them are mostly all new, are they as good as you expected? Better, worse?- The vouchers are fine, as long as you don't need a ridiculous amount of them to get to the better prizes that will hopefully be released soon. One thing I will say is that I hate the idea of TMs as event vouchers, I shouldn't have to wait up to or over 1 month, and commit to time consuming quests to get a single TM. I might need multiple copies and I think it would hurt to have to choose a single TM over an UC pokemon in order to be on equal grounds in battle.

Did you like or dislike having to find out for yourself what pokemon were in the event? - I neither liked, nor disliked it.

And what about the spawns? Did you like the pokemon in the event? Were they too hard to get? Too easy? Too many or too few?-
This is a long rant, proceed at your own risk.
I don't have a particular problem with any of the pokemon assigned to the event, I feel they were all picked with the atmosphere in mind, and represented the occasion well. What I DO have a problem with is the disbursement of pokemon to the areas. In this event there was one or two areas that everyone spent 90% of their time, this is because those areas housed a ridiculous amount of desired pokemon. What happens when you put Vulpix, Teddy, Kadabra, Ponyta, Abra, Rapidash, Seviper, AND (Here comes the crescendo) SNORLAX all on the same patch of grass? MADNESS, that's what! Did the staff not want any of the other UC pokemon in the event to get any attention at all? What purpose could that have... to lag up the map, create loading issues , attract botters, group photo? Your guess is as good as mine. The only other map that may have been remotely attractive in comparison to the vast majority of players is Milotic/Starmie. BUT WAIT... there's more! It was on one of the biggest maps I've ever seen, so god forbid you log out on it and try to log back in... HELLO black screeeeen my vexing little friend, long time no see. My future wife CheckeredZebra once told me that the staff shouldn't try to make everything "The best thing ever", and now I see why. Also I find myself wondering why snorlax was so damn hard to find, I searched for all of 10 minutes before I stumbled upon it. Jesus, I was hoping for a bit of a bit of sport but these agile little ballerinas just jumped out at you sreaming "Catch me". Snorlax was always one of the hardest pokemon in the game to find, and in years of playing I hadn't seen one S Snorlax caught, I wonder how many were caught during this event.... it's ridiculous especially considering the other spawns in that area. Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, I'm just very frustrated by this particular aspect of the event.

Did you like the story if you actually paid attention to it? Or was it all about the quests/prizes and rare pokemon for you?- like most players I care more for the prizes and rare pokemon, however I intentionally paid attention to the story, and as I've stated above, I generally liked it.

I'll throw out one more complaint before summarizing... what the heck was the meaning of that land bridge in the cave leading to the last quest city??? Was that meant to intentionally confuse players? I can't tell you how many times I saw someone raging over the cave, being unable to find the exit, or the rock slide seller. I mean it blended right in, did no one think that it looked a little confusing? GRRRRR!!! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble !!!!

TLDR:
Pros- Good story, pokemon associated with the lore, Maps were aesthetically pleasing, 4/5 of the quests were entertaining, culturally interesting, fair prizes for the work and a nice surprise with the release of event vouchers.

Cons- Ridiculous spawn combinations in one particular area (snorlax), Monotonous boring leveling of vulpix, TMs being an item in the prize corner, Certain pokemon being far too easy to catch, Ridiculously frustrating and confusing land bridge in the cave, anti-climactic series of quests (order should have been rearranged), the forest being too damn big.

Good Job, but with a bit of thought it could have been much much less frustrating.
*Note* This is not meant to offend, or anger any staff, I know you all worked very hard at this and I appreciate it. I don't want to start an argument of any sort, I'm just venting and hoping that we can learn from some mistakes.

SapphirePhoenix

This is the first event I've played on PWO so when I say that I loved it, I don't have any other events to compare it to. But I loved this event for various reasons listed below:

1. The maps: They are all so beautiful and so evil at the same time ;D You can spend hours getting lost in the twist and turns of the landscape and yet I couldn't get too mad at it because it was all so pretty to look at. I liked to hide under the cherry blossom trees or behind the buildings just because I could.
2. The Pokemon: I liked the wild Pokemon spawns chosen since some of them were ones I couldn't find anywhere else. The rarity switch between Ekans and Ponyta later in the event was perfect because at that point it was getting pretty tiring seeing tons of snakes (because for me, it didn't give as much exp as Ponyta did, hehe). I did hear what I think was the story for it- that the Rapidash scared the Ekans away and so the Ponyta later returned- and that also fit perfectly.
3. The timed release: That was perfect, right when we thought we finished the quest, bam! A new segment was released. It kept things interesting and prevented everyone from mowing through the event in 1 day then getting bored the rest of the time.

Having to walk through the bamboo caves over and over.. those constant wild Pokemon encounters were a headache! But I think that was part of the plan :p

I did like Ziyou City but something about it seemed out of place from the rest of the event. I guess when I originally stumbled upon it I was hoping that there would be a bunch of stuff to do inside the city other than talk to an NPC then leave, because unlike that town at the bottom of the huge forest (Yougi Bai Town?) Ziyou City gave off the feeling that there was something secret about it (mainly due to the hidden rock you had to walk under to find it). There was nothing really there that made you want to explore the entire place, which was a shame because someone took the time to decorate that map with stuff. Maybe the TM seller could have been hiding in Ziyou instead of the top corner of the cave.

I liked them overall, they all provided something interesting yet challenging to do and they weren't too easy, yet weren't too difficult.

Element 1: I missed the bamboo above a ledge the first time around so I remember having to keep walking around in circles before I found it. It made me dislike that map for about a day, haha. I also got lost in the huge forest for a very very long time and I eventually constructed myself a map of it so I could navigate back and forth.. But still all that was fun.

Element 2: What I didn't like was that the lady led me to believe that she was keeping track of all the snake skins I gave her over the time I was playing but instead it turned out that if I didn't give her exactly 10 at one time she wouldn't complete the quest. I ended up giving her several piles of Snake Skins wondering why it wouldn't complete until I tried 10 at once. That lady was edited later so that should be good for the other people, but this was one of the reasons why I disliked seeing Ekans after a while and was happy to see the Ponyta spawns take over.

Element 3: I really liked that we had to raise the exact Vulpix we found under the tree, that way no one would be lazy with a pre-caught one that they might have obtained from the grass. This quest made me glad I had completed enough gym challenges to access routes that had good training for fire Pokemon because I'm rather lazy/impatient when it comes to training and went to kill Tangela for their higher exp instead of the Hoppip the event provided in the Bamboo forest :p

Element 4: Ahhh all that walking and all those wild Pokemon encounters in those caves!! That's what I remember most about this quest. It isn't a bad thing but I did use a couple of Escape Ropes.

Element 5: My first impression of the quest was why a zombie chosen for a Chinese New Year event? I understood the lore/storyline he said but the zombie NPC itself did surprise me. This was a nice quest but the moment he mentioned the bamboo forest the memories from Element 1 drifted back into my mind I went and talked to all the bamboo in the forest, twice, even after I found the fairy because I dreaded walking back through that cave one more time only to be told to look for more. It's actually kind of funny.

It was better than I expected. I thought it would only be one item or Pokemon that everyone would have, so finding that we had options was a delightful surprise.

I liked it! I didn't really know what to expect when I started the event and only knew that there were event-findable Pokemon because people in chat kept asking what Pokemon they could find in the event because all the previous events had them. The wild spawns themselves were quite nice. The spawn guide in the Speculation forum also helped a bit because it made me want to stick around a certain map to try and find a Pokemon I didn't know was there.

Unless you meant the Pokemon in the prizes, to which I'll just point to the question above this one.

The spawns were very nice! I couldn't find all of them due to lack of patience/time, but the fact that it was possible to obtain them is still appreciated. I did get a page or so of new Pokemon in the PC (most of them were duplicates though, I just caught them because I liked them). I accidentally killed a shiny I encountered in the Bamboo forest but that's my fault.

I payed attention to about 90% of the storyline. I normally took the time to read through all the NPCs but at Element 4's quest I got so tired of having to walk back through the cave to Ziyou that I mashed the spacebar through the dialogues hoping that he didn't say that I needed to go back one more time. In regard to the storyline parts that I can currently remember, yes I did like them and it made the event interesting. My favorite storyline is the one associated with Element 3 (the Vulpix one).

Also what did you think about having the quests spread out over the festival, instead of having them all available at once? The idea for this came from the fact that the Festival days have different meanings, but if it's preferred to have it this way it could easily be adopted in other events too.
I guess I should have read all the questions before I c/ped them into a reply to answer them one by one since I mentioned this at the top XD

As I said above I absolutely loved how the event was spread out into stages, and it worked really well with what the event was celebrating and it keeps people from clearing the event too quickly. One disadvantage to such an approach I can imagine is that some people may feel that they have less time to complete the overall event. For example, if an event was 5 days long, someone may only be able to play the first 2 of the 5 days and if a portion of the event was released on day 3 then the person would miss out. While playing through this event I have seen people mention the lack of play time available to them in the chat so that is why this came to mind.

And I shouldn't forget the mappers, let us know what you thought of the maps too. :)
To you mappers, these maps must have taken a crazy amount of time to make! They are all so beautiful and well constructed (and also really large). And I love you and hate you at the same time for making that hidden rock passageway and also for making it take so long to walk from city to city :p

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com

Storyline is pretty cool, I liked the catchable pokémons (data collection) and rarities, and it's an uncommon event, just fine, we awaited for it so long.

Only one thing, it's boring to do the quests and hang out the maps, like forests and caves, that spawn pokémons, without repels once some tasks are long. I guess it's not an event issue at all. :p

As I already said the storyline is just fine. Personally the wood element.

Prizes are delicious for me, I would like to get all eggs. First because I want to register them on pokédex and second because they're cute. ^-^

I'm ok with the pokémons, I only found 1 ekans haha, and I liked to get ponyta, Teddiursa... just their price is deprolable now.

It's reasonable. Not much hard or easy, excepted the common spawns, like ekans, ponyta, etc.

I'm usually not aware of this, but I liked what I read. Usually it is rather because of the prizes. ::)

pieoffury

I love how the event is in line with CNY and that it was suggested by the game's main mapper and my best friend, White_Wolf.

The quests were honestly too easy for me. I could finish each of the 5 quests in 30 minutes or less, depending on the lag :p

I don't like how people just asks how to get the quests and not look around by themselves. I read what each NPC told me to do and only asked my guildmates if I was on the right path. Whatever happened to the THRILL OF ADVENTURE? Though, regards to my guildmate, bivu, for posting an element guide on forums which helped a lot of people out.

I like how the prizes and vouchers were released because it gives us several options on what to get next. I personally would save up my vouchers 'til we get higher tier prizes. I will surely get the data of each and every one of them of course ;) They are good in general because it would give 2 options to players, spend now for benefits or wait it out and see what'll come. I of course chose the latter.

I'm fine with finding out all the spawns in each areas. However, I hate how people kept claiming Feebas was in game despite the numerous times I corrected them saying it was never in the event. Back to the spawns, it took me 3 days to find out the correct list of spawns per area. I'm just curious, are the staff members testing how the community would react to maps without the /list command in order to finally decide on what to do with the said command?

Yes I loved the spawns. They weren't too hard to get, but personally, I had the hardest time. Bad luck dating back to December 1, I hadn't caught anything good at all and it went on til the event was nearly over. I got 4 snorlax with all crappy IVs, 0 cubone, 0 chimecho, 0 spinda, 0 nincada, 0 milotic, 0 hitmontop, 0 skitty, 0 seviper, 0 meditite, 0 shinies. I ended up leaving after the 4th one, but at least it ended my 76-day dry spell.

I was excited about the event, but I also took note of story line. Without a storyline, there wouldn't by a CNY event would there :p

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
PewDiePie_Felix said:
I'm just curious, are the staff members testing how the community would react to maps without the /list command in order to finally decide on what to do with the said command?

It's different, since as has been said we will not remove the /list function permanently, not like we did in Cinnabar or this event. However I do think both times it has had a very positive effect on the game- and the community gathering together for that common cause of discovering just what is in those maps! Once, however, new spawns have been finished and discovered /list should return in all its glory- in whatever form is finally decided on.

Buggot

I liked the prizes at the end as well a the length of the event, it made the waiting fun and made everyone come back for more, for event as well as hunting and seeing the community all active :)

Too be honest, I think Snorlax was too easy to find, but I"m not really complaining because my Snorlax went for a lot :eek:

It only irked me a little bit to level Vulpix, but it was only because it seemed long.

They are as good as I was expecting, but one thing: I was thinking more of evolution stones such as King's Rock or others.

Not at all! It also made making speculation lists more fun.

Just my opinion, but I think that Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee should have been in the event, as their namesakes are both of Chinese ancestry :p

I love the story. Maybe a little bit more of the story could be based on an action story line to provide more excitement instead of catering to a festival, but that's what the New Year's all about, after all.

It was a good idea, adding to suspense.

And I shouldn't forget the mappers, let us know what you thought of the maps too.

I think I had a problem with the Giant Map Which Shall Not Be Named :p For new players, it would be a horror to find their way through the maps, although after 1-2 days it was mildly easy to find the way. I would want to make the map that would encourage the players, but not hand-feed them, but not too complicated like this one. Maybe, you could've added a "Lost NPC" that hinted at where to go? Even one would've made my live a whole lot easier those first few days :p

Overall, it was a very good event!

Saric

Youngster
It was well done. Although I didn't really like how slowly it was released.

I didn't have many issues with the quests. Although the one I did have had to do with the rapidash one, but it wasn't game breaking.

They were..decent. None of the ones in tier 1 or 2 interested me in the slightest, though.

I wouldn't have minded it if it wasn't visible for the first few days or so. But once it gets later on in the event, why not release the list? It's just a pain.

They were..okay. None of them were overly valuable or rare. All of them were token store pokes.

Honestly I didn't really pay attention to it. The story itself seemed blocky (if that makes sense). Each quest had it's own storyline to it. There was no flow to the entire thing, so it was a bit dull.

I can see why you did this for this specific event. But please, if it doesn't make sense, don't do it.

White.Wolf

cyy5113 said:
I really enjoyed this event; it's fun and awesome. Few of the things that I want to say:
- Language translation should be improved (example: Meizhu Shenlin Forest, "Shenlin" means forest in Mandarin, so it means "Bamboo forest forest"?, lol :p)

lol, that's my fault, x)
yup, Shenlin means forest, but its weird if i just put "Meizhu Shenlin" as the name, so the forest pops up behind it, which actually ridiculous, lol
sorry sorry x_X

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
In England, because we have such a wide history of foreign settlers and invaders, our names for places on the map come from lots of different languages, such as Latin, Saxon, Tudor English, Roman and many others which have accumulated over thousands of years. This results in quirks where, for example, we have rivers named the River Exe, the River Uz, the River Tyne, the River Humber - and all of these (and some others besides), the name simply translates to "River". So redundancy in location names is nothing new ;)

Buggot

LOL, no wonder it was so hard to find the way, it was a forest inside a forest xD

Peace-Enforcer

I really liked this event. In my opinion best one I participated in so far.

I like spawns since they are new and interesting while it didn't effect economy as much as other events. Loved how questing was made, not too little and not too much and also with a storyline. I like how quests would conntinue after few days. For some this might have not been nessesary but I liked it.

And as for vouchers and Game Corner rewards. I love this concept. Love the rewards. Love that they aren't battlers so that only one or two would be worth spending vouchers on and love TM addition to it. Hope more TMs will be addeted for each tear, maybe 3 per tear of reward. Love its addition to the game and hope this will be worked more on.

And lets not forget mappers. Awesome work! Love maps and love how cherry trees look like (at leat I think those pink trees are cherry trees).

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
Overall a great event for something that was not expected by players. The one downside for me was the size of the maps, I have never been a fan of unnecessarily large maps but they were beautiful

Bad-News-dodo

tell us why- what did you like most?
i liked the event because 1st it was a long one , 2nd it had a guy selling TM and a race who get TM Eq 3rd you have offered us alot of pokes to catch

when u made ponyta common , it kinda ruined the economy more

the quest was rather VERY EASY , it was not a challenging quest , myself the hardest one was halloween 2011 , i want the quest to be hard and make the players scream how to solve it so it would worth it

better than i've expected , i expected a tm at the end for every player , but no , the vouchers thing was rather awesome because we save them for more to buy cool stuff , perfect gift if i must say

of course like, it was exciting

too easy , 4 S snorlaxs where caught , hundreds of s ponytas
i liked the story , have ing to help other to get rare elements , i honestly didnt care about rare pokes , i'm happy there was an event

the most creative part was doing on part a time , 1 element then few days then other , it will make people more excited and eager to do it , just saying

the quest was very good , the only problem that it was easy , i need something challanging , rather than that , well done staff (y)

Iuri

Hello

Here you have my opinion:

I liked the huge maps. Since already congratulations to mappers by excellent work. I hope that you use these maps in future events or even in the creation of new regions.With this excellent piece of work, I think that it isn't necessary to recreate the regions of Nintendo games, especially if they are to create programming problems.

I didn't like the chinise names, are so confuse...

Yes, I 'd like the quests. I found them very simple, they could be a little more prepared and ask the use of the players's intelligence . However I understand that it is a game also directed to children

The prizes I think are correct.

Many pokes for me, were just a myth. It could even there be Zapdos or Articunos because I don't have found it.

I'd like the pokemons of the event and your number was right. Regarding the spawns my bad luck leads me to criticize some aspects. Some players have achieved several shinies and dozens of snorlax's and seviper's, other as I nor a shiny and only 2 bad snorlax's and 2 seviper's ( and it was not for lack of hours of gameplay, in average I played 3 to 5 hours per day). There should be a mechanism to avoid this

I like the story. Without doubt that I paid more attention to the history especially the training of Vulpix. I found the story very sad and touched me. It made me remember an episode of Futurama where the dog continued to hold its owner always remain in the same location after it has traveled to the future. I did not release this vulpix