Chinese New Year Festival Event- Feedback!

Tha-Kram

If you liked the event, tell us why- what did you like most?
I really liked the maps, very colorful
other events had only 1 theme color, Halloween = dark and shady and Christmas = blue-ish white

If you didn't like it, or some part of it, why not?
it's hard to think of anything that wasn't good, but I still felt something was missing
I think the HRs had something to do with it
Milotic and Chimecho are both fully evolved pokemon, and by missing the prevolutions it feels like I only got half a poke
I assume that Feebas was fake, didn't find any evidence of some1 catching it

How did you like the quests? Is there anything you particularly liked or disliked about any of them?
the only thing I didn't like was going to that ghost town "Ziyou City"
a whole map for just 1 NPC an a pokecenter is a bit too much I think
the 2nd thing that I didn't really like was the fact that the bamboo was used twice, where the other new looking trees didn't have any use

but overall the quests were really nice, a lot of variation in fighting, searching and walking/cycling :)

And what about the prizes? Vouchers and the pizes given in them are mostly all new, are they as good as you expected? Better, worse?
I really like that you can choose a prize, although I don't see much value in TMs compared to rare/UC pokemon

Did you like or dislike having to find out for yourself what pokemon were in the event?
I like to hunt rare pokemon and it would be nice to know which ones there are
I don't want to miss out on any rare pokes during a short term event

And what about the spawns? Did you like the pokemon in the event? Were they too hard to get? Too easy? Too many or too few?
the thing I liked most was that rats weren't the most common poke, but a few rarer pokes got a chance to shine
I also liked to see that most HR/VR pokes were UC's, it makes you wanna catch 'em all!

Did you like the story if you actually paid attention to it? Or was it all about the quests/prizes and rare pokemon for you?
the story of the villagers was quite nice, and you really felt like you got a reward
but that last NPC that traded the elements for the tokens was just some lazy dude asking you to get him something
He didn't fit in this story in my opinion

Also what did you think about having the quests spread out over the festival, instead of having them all available at once? The idea for this came from the fact that the Festival days have different meanings, but if it's preferred to have it this way it could easily be adopted in other events too.
It is nice for the people that have time for it, but when you're having exams you want to rush it as fast as possible
a few elements doesn't give you any reward, you had to get them all
therefore only the players that had time during the whole event, or during the last few days were able to finish it

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Tha_Kram said:
but that last NPC that traded the elements for the tokens was just some lazy dude asking you to get him something
He didn't fit in this story in my opinion

a few elements doesn't give you any reward, you had to get them all
therefore only the players that had time during the whole event, or during the last few days were able to finish it

I'm not sure if you realise, but 1 element could be traded for 1 voucher, 3 for 2 vouchers and 5 for 3 vouchers.

Also would you have a suggestion to have made the last NPC make more sense to you?

Nightmare!

So if we give the collector an element by separate then we can get 5 vouchers????

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
nightmarerealm said:
So if we give the collector an element by separate then we can get 5 vouchers????

lol no. The collector remembers what you gave it before. So if you gave it one element it would give you one voucher. If you then gave it another single element it would give you nothing, even though it takes the element. On the third and fifth elements you give it (separately) it would give you an extra voucher each time. So no matter how you give the collector the 5 elements he won't overpay you or rip you off. He's canny like that.

HrantDink

Overall I thought this event was a very pleasant surprise for most of us. The maps were beautiful, the theme was exciting and well executed upon. One thing that I really liked is including the Ang Pao, for those of us familiar with the concept it made it feel like a true Chinese New Years. Rather than answering the questions inline one by one, I'll list some pros and cons instead:

Pro:

- Theme (From the Ang Pao, to using the shrines to get to the event maps, the inclusion of actual Chinese in some of the map/place names, to the way the maps were designed to look like the multifacetted environment China has on offer, to scary old ladies that could be 60 or 130 - or dead -)
- Maps were beautiful
- Some cool (themed) UCs to catch
- TM Vendor
- Multiple quests to complete
- Reward (voucher system is the best reward ever, since it carries over in to other events and really puts us as players on our feet. We've all had to take a tough decision: do I want to get something nice out of this event straight away, or should I save up my vouchers to go for that tier 3 goodie that I so crave?)

Con:

- One map was overpopulated due to the unfair balance of Pokes to be had in that map, resulting in long loading times.
- Event was way too long. The 4x S Snorlax that were caught are testimony to that, and although I understand that could happen to any HR that is farmed by 300 players for 2 weeks straight, it just doesn't feel right to me. More bothersome however was the fluctuating rarity rates for some of the otherwise more elusive rares. Everyone and their mother is sporting a shiny Ponyta now, and I'm sure food prices are at an all time high with the crazy amount of Snorlax that were caught when it supposedly was VR. For me the only challenge in hunting was getting all the new cachables (mainly Chimecho, Meditite, Milotic), it felt like much more of an achievement getting those rather than getting the 10th Snorlax.
- Quests felt disconnected. Overall the quests on their own were good, but it's as if Billy Mays had a hand in creating the overarching story line. I would be running to one city to get an item for one of the NPCs, then wait - there's more! - now go do something completely unrelated for this other guy just to get those vouchers. I personally really liked not having all the quests available at the same time, really adds a sense of progression to the event, but I can't help but feel they could've been a little more connected. Might be just me.
- Rewards. Although I've mentioned the voucher system as a great idea, it also has one big pitfall for me. It's just too easy to accumulate multiple vouchers using alt accounts. Right now it's not such a huge problem (although people spamming those lvl 1's means they are not that special, which I feel they were intended to be), but as I understood it vouchers will be tradeable in the future once the PokeDex update hits, and once that happens people who took the time to do the quests on 4-5 accounts will be balling it up, in my opinion unjustly. Not sure how this could've been avoided or controlled either, it's just the one downside I see to the voucher system.
- Economy took a beating. I know it's your intention to slowly make all Pokemon catchable, but I feel that maybe too many UCs were too easily accessible through this event at this point in time, both as catchables and rewards. From previous events, I was used to 2, maybe 3 UCs (if that) and it was a real sport to hunt them. I sadly did not experience that feeling throughout most of this event. My bigger concern however (not falling to repetition, but I want this point made) is the rarity fluctuations. It was awesome to see that /list was not available, added a feeling of sensation to every poke encounter ... for about 20 minutes. Once it became obvious that everyone would be walking away with more S Vulpix/Ponyta/Teddiursa than they could've ever dreamt of, prices for those Pokemon plummeted.

All in all a great event, which came as a really pleasant surprise. Thanks to all involved for making this possible!

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
HrantDink said:
as I understood it vouchers will be tradeable in the future once the PokeDex update hits

This has not been decided nor even discussed one way or another I don't believe. It's true some items are intended to be tradeable in the new playerdex, but beyond evolution items to make their trading safer again nothing else is certain.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Not to hijack this thread, but — since this question was an afterthought after reading through some opinions on the spread-out days between element-releases, and since I believed most of the survey fill-outs have already been submitted — I'm curious to ask: did you find enough content (hunting/discovering spawns, etc.), within the domain of the event, to keep you interested between each element-release? Was it enough to keep you actively playing the game, within the event area, while awaiting a new element/quest-line step to unfold?

Since the window is long-closed on the event, and it has been nearly a week since it was playable, it may not be fresh in everyone's mind, but it is something I'm interested to know nonetheless; if it's ultimately desirable to adopt this approach (spreading out days between each installation of another quest step), given the circumstances, then it's helpful to know how interest can be sustained in the event without all quest steps released from the outset.

Dragon16

Youngster
Creobis said:
Not to hijack this thread, but — since this question was an afterthought after reading through some opinions on the spread-out days between element-releases, and since I believed most of the survey fill-outs have already been submitted — I'm curious to ask: did you find enough content (hunting/discovering spawns, etc.), within the domain of the event, to keep you interested between each element-release? Was it enough to keep you actively playing the game, within the event area, while awaiting a new element/quest-line step to unfold?

Since the window is long-closed on the event, and it has been nearly a week since it was playable, it may not be fresh in everyone's mind, but it is something I'm interested to know nonetheless; if it's ultimately desirable to adopt this approach (spreading out days between each installation of another quest step), given the circumstances, then it's helpful to know how interest can be sustained in the event without all quest steps released from the outset.
The suspense of waiting for the next step of the quest kept me playing a lot longer than i had intended. i think that spreading out the release date made it more interesting, but either way if we were able to do the quest in one go instead on in installations i would still spend most of the time hunting. nonetheless spreading out the days between the installation of a new part of the quest did keep it interesting, i probably wouldnt have spent the same amount of time hunting and online if the quest steps were available all at once. So i think that doing things in installations was a good call.