About the new ms deal....

Thor

Im not sure at all while people are arguing for a lower shiny encounter rate.....1/1000....right this would mean if you fight 6 ish pokemon a minute you would fin on average a shiny every 3 hours. Do you really think they should be that common for people to get? How often did you find them in the handhelds without pokeradar? That is absurd/ 1/3000 is a reasonable change but I do agree making stats range from 1-31 is a necessary change for the future of the game.

Casualties

Just becuase the rate is 1/1000, absolutely does not mean a shiny will appear every three hours, i think you, and others who currently have membership will agree that just becuase the rate now is approximately 1/2000, a shiny absolutely does not appear once every 6 hours, i.e. i spent 12 hours straight grinding for the dratini skin and didnt see one shiny at all. At that time, i wasnt looking for a shiny, but rather for the skin. however, if i had planned to give myself a free day and cleared my schedule with the purpose of grinding for a shiny and come up empty handed after 12 hours i, as others, would begin the question if MS is actually making a difference.

I, like many others who are able to pay real money and buy membership, are probably more likely to be adults, with a job, a girlfriend/wife, and various other real life commitments. to find a 6 hour window to sit down and play can sometimes be a daunting task. this is not to say that non-members don't have these committments, but obviously someone who is still in highschool (which it seems alot of non-members are), unemployed, or in some other real life situation which gives them tons of free time will be able to play for 12+ hours a day, but i do not think this is the case for alot of people who buy membership and tokens with their own real money.

Those of us who are asking for a better shiny chance are not asking to be given a shiny every hour or two or three. But if we can find that time and put in a good 6 hour session, i think there should be a pretty damn good chance that we will see a shiny.

Thor

Thats exactly what it means, if you hunt on average you would end up finding one every 3 hours. At the moment that is the case, Im not saying you will find one every 6 hours but on average you do find that in playing time. Thats what probability means....

Tecknician

Since when does membership ever mean you are suppose to find one every so often? Last I checked it was only suppose to increase your odds over being a non member.

Quick count, how many shiny pokemon has anyone found as a non member?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
If it counts, I caught a Shiny Fearow back in the early days of PWO before Membership actually existed; and I think that was my only non-Membership Shiny encounter.

PROMapperKnuckles

Youngster
Empress Teck said:
Since when does membership ever mean you are suppose to find one every so often? Last I checked it was only suppose to increase your odds over being a non member.

1 in i believe almost 4 years

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
knuckles002 said:
Empress Teck said:

I found about 10-12 and the last one was last week but most of the time that I played I had membership.

Nikola

Youngster
Ran from shiny Pineco (HR) once, that was without MS and only shiny Pokemon I encountered without MS. Shiny Pidgey and shiny Yanma were only shiny Pokemon I caught with MS but I ran from at least 5 of them.

Dovee

Youngster
knuckles002 said:
Empress Teck said:

I could say 2 in 5 years but that was because i was only a non-member for like a total of 3 or 4 months in that time.

ImGonnaCatchEmAll

I'd like to weigh in here I see both sides of this and will say again I AM COMPLETELY AGAINST the lowering of the shiny encounter rate. Why? one might be asking themselves, I've been playing the game for well over 3 years and have been a member for the majority of my time. For one reason shinies. I've never complained about only catching 1 or 2 or duplicates of one's I've already had. But here recently I'm going on close to 10 WEEKS of membership, without a shiny encounter. You can rant and talk about luck or you need to play for 36 hours straight, I've never had to before and don't intend on starting now. Whats the trade off? I can't catchemall, and i can't even battle staff to fill out the spots in the pokedex, ( Don't get me wrong, I don't want everyone to be able to have legendaries, that defeats the purpose of them, but I haven't seen one valid reason why we can't get them for data, but i digress) I don't find the money or xp bonus useful and here's why: 1) you got 0 pokedollars and that includes a bonus of 0 pokedollars (we've all got that message) 2) you give me one good reason why, you can if you're lucky, get 20k xp from a wild poke. 20k to some might look good but when its out of 3 million it's a joke. I set a goal to first get a S green team(check) then I thought well since I can't catchemall I want to get all the ones that can be caught shiny. Two month plus starting on a third of membership without a shiny encounter, and you want to make it even more rare, to that I say neigh; and i'm not going to mention the amount of money spent on the S bonus chance in the TS.

As for those that are talking about ones that aren't worth anything (Shiny Pokes), making them more scarce is NOT going to make your Shiny Rat worth more money. On a personal note and love me or hate me, Shinies are way overpriced as they stand now, I don't care how rare they are, once the took out the shiny boost (vets remember and know what i'm talking about) in my opinion , that in and of itself nerfed the value of shiny pokemon, unless you happen to possess a Shiny UC/UO. Value however is in the eye of not just the beholder but of the holder as well. You can claim your S Rat is worth 3 million and refuse to sell it for any less but until you find someone who agrees, your S rat isn't worth 30K.

As for reducing NPC time 2 days is nothing when the wait time is so obnoxiously long. Don't get me wrong I don't mind skating past the lvl 15 npc's but when I'm trying to reach lvl 99 and only have mt silver 5f and DD to look to, and the whopping maybe, 20k xp per kill, I just want to hit the gyms and at least do half of the last level so it feels like I'm making progress. Before anyone calls me out for it, I KNOW, mmo, fun, grind hours upon hours and blah blah blah. It is fun until you spend 4 hours and realize that after killing everything you're still poor and not even close to being lvl 99. I'm just talking about the last few levels when you're realistically limited to two maybe three areas.

I always feel bad when voicing my opinions because i feel like they come across as being ungrateful. I really enjoy the game and am appreciative of all the hard work of the staff and want to thank the other donators as well. Maybe and I get wanting everyone to feel included but maybe when dealing with topics of this nature only those who partake of the gifts for donations should be asked what if anything we want changed. From my understanding staff can give themselves whatever poke they choose so why the harsh opinion on lowering us plebeians chances of earning a Shiny?

Merse

Youngster
From what I read your basic problem is that the game is an MMO... It can't e helped. Did you know that only recently got a guy all the achievements in Word of Warcraft? And he was playing since the game was released! How long it was? Maybe 10 years ago? IN an MMO you aren't supposed to become rich, max level or having something extremely sought. It's just the way MMOs work.
I am all for reducing shiny chance, I suggested it already about a year ago. What I don't see yet is what Fion said, there is nothing in the recently published offer that would make a good compensation for the lost shiny chance. Money and extra XP would be nice, or I could imagine some closed dungeons or areas where you can get only with membership. I'M thinking about things like the Orange Archipelago where you can compete in the Orange League only if you have MS.

ImGonnaCatchEmAll

Merse said:
From what I read your basic problem is that the game is an MMO... It can't e helped. Did you know that only recently got a guy all the achievements in Word of Warcraft? And he was playing since the game was released! How long it was? Maybe 10 years ago? IN an MMO you aren't supposed to become rich, max level or having something extremely sought. It's just the way MMOs work.
I am all for reducing shiny chance, I suggested it already about a year ago. What I don't see yet is what Fion said, there is nothing in the recently published offer that would make a good compensation for the lost shiny chance. Money and extra XP would be nice, or I could imagine some closed dungeons or areas where you can get only with membership. I'M thinking about things like the Orange Archipelago where you can compete in the Orange League only if you have MS.

I'm not against MMO's or else I wouldn't be here. I just think that often times, when trying to attract new members or keep the new players that show up things get changed that don't need it. As I stated, chalk it up to luck or whatever, 9.5 weeks since my last Shiny encounter, membership the whole time, I don't see a need to lower it. It clearly isn't that frequent. Now if money and xp bonus were to be increased then maybe it'd be a bit more acceptable. I've seen the arguments about taking away from peoples hard work and luck for lowering the S rate, then I say the same about the fishing bonus. I worked hard and spent a long time to get my fishing level to where its at now, over 50 something. The green name and star I could do without also. While its a nice little nod to those of us who donate, it doesn't really add anything to the game, personally i'd rather be given a green shirt or something more tangible, since I can't see my name in the game.

I get that things aren't supposed to happen right away in an MMO; but i've seen it happen to quite a few, where in an effort to please the new players the game is changed and it ruins it for the vets and vice versa. I just think their are other things that could be done to improve things all around. Make money drop more, create a map with higher lvl poke'mon, since they are already re-balancing and re working the spawns, starting at the lower levels and righfully so.

I will say if you were going to do something for members only, I wouldn't make it a map. For the simple fact that, there is so much more that can be added to the game and that would exclude a large number of players. Perhaps run one of those " official " tourny's I hear about, now that i've started frequenting the forums for members only. ( Yes I know why they were stopped) Or let members battle staff so we can fill out or poke'dex(maybe i'm the only one who cares about filling it out :-\ )

Merse

Youngster
The idea just came into my mind: How about a Pokemon Natural Reserve? It would be a map accessible only for players, and Pokeball would be unusable in there. In exchange you would be able to see and battle some Pokemons you could never find anywhere else. I mean this could be a huge map, with numerous different environments, and there could be some extremely rare lv99 Legendary encounters there. You could see them, you could fill up your Pokedex, you could fight them but as your Pokeballs won't work, you couldn't catch them. If there is enough special Pokemon to see in there, I definitely would pay for MS to be able to go in there.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Merse said:
The idea just came into my mind: How about a Pokemon Natural Reserve? It would be a map accessible only for players, and Pokeball would be unusable in there. In exchange you would be able to see and battle some Pokemons you could never find anywhere else. I mean this could be a huge map, with numerous different environments, and there could be some extremely rare lv99 Legendary encounters there. You could see them, you could fill up your Pokedex, you could fight them but as your Pokeballs won't work, you couldn't catch them. If there is enough special Pokemon to see in there, I definitely would pay for MS to be able to go in there.

Why even battle them, what about a whole new mini game like Pokemon Snap? The collection of pokemon in such a game could be independent of the pokedex which could be saved for other ingame quests. Making this idea a mini game would mean being able to include pokemon in it we might otherwise wish to reserve for future inclusion elsewhere in the game.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
I am going to clearly state that there will not be MS exclusive maps, we are not splitting our playerbase between those who do and don't pay money. If we did do this it would be highly unfair to the majority of the players.

Symbiosis

Website
www.facebook.com
6BxksG5.png

Time I stick my nose into this since I am one of the few who donate a few hundred dollars a month & I always have Membership for months in advance. First off I don't mind the money or experience since theirs no changes there and I don't think we need a change. The Shiny chance is what really frustrates me the most. I don't care if it stays 1/2048 but raising it to 1/3072 is a no go for me. I play on average 12-14 hours a day every day, I am lucky with membership if I find 1 shiny per week. I don't agree with raising it nor do I agree with dropping it. I would propose to keep it right where it's at. The npc wait time and safari propose have of no use to me and I am pretty sure many others. While I do agree that I think 2 weeks should be dropped to 1 week I don't think it should be a membership only feature, I think it should be for everyone. Green name and golden star. I really liked when this was added but I think it should be put to the next level. Not only should we have green name and star when someone sees us on a map but I also think we should have it in chat channels. We should be able to rep with pride that we are the people who keep PWO alive and running and not only when someone happens to run into us on a map. if its impossible to give us a green name and star in chats then maybe give us a tag like staff have that says Donor, Member or V.I.P. Now instead of the Safari and Reduced Npc Wait time I think a lot of members would prefer fishing exp to be better for membership.

This is my two cents. I had to get it out there. Enjoy