Why is everyone quitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
PWO has always required patience. Any game that on this scale that is run wholly by volunteers is going to be like that.

For those that aren't aware the current situation is that we are updating to a new scripting language and every NPC/quest in the game needs to be manually re-written before that happens. In the meantime there is obviously no point in adding to that burden by making more.

Also in the meantime we can't make everyone happy but mini-event swarms have been happening regularly which do take time and effort to set up and run. They can't make everyone happy but we often ask for suggestions relating to them so if you have them yell out and we'll certainly take them on board.

justme1306

Youngster
it takes 5 minutes to do a swarm event and even rigaudon told us. thats why she do swarm instead of events cause no need to work so they can concentrate their effort on pwo futur stuff.

Georgelzr

You can t argue with staff they will always have 2nd plan 3 promises and 4 excuse
Some people are really bored of fake promises and lazy staff.That s the real reason why people leave

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Georgelzr said:
You can t argue with staff they will always have 2nd plan 3 promises and 4 excuse
Some people are really bored of fake promises and lazy staff.That s the real reason why people leave

And some staff can get very disheartened reading stuff like this when they do put in a lot of time and effort that you never see. We don't get paid so the only real reason any of us do this is for your benefit in the end. Comments like this, even if they simply aren't true, can easily affect motivation to put their free time in month after month year after year if staff take them to heart and think "why bother anyway, they don't appreciate it".

Feedback is great, always. Accusations like this are good for nobody.

PWO is not stagnant, it is just moving very slowly right now. Patience as I said.

shodan21

Youngster
HitmonFonty said:
PWO has always required patience. Any game that on this scale that is run wholly by volunteers is going to be like that.

For those that aren't aware the current situation is that we are updating to a new scripting language and every NPC/quest in the game needs to be manually re-written before that happens. In the meantime there is obviously no point in adding to that burden by making more.

Also in the meantime we can't make everyone happy but mini-event swarms have been happening regularly which do take time and effort to set up and run. They can't make everyone happy but we often ask for suggestions relating to them so if you have them yell out and we'll certainly take them on board.

imo, PWO has exhausted pretty much all of the patience the playerbase has left, so continuing to ask for patience is pretty much beating a dead horse.  i dont want to be shooting the messenger here, because i know youre not in charge of this, but this kind of response is pretty much exactly why people are quitting.  it communicates that the staff in control either are blind to the problem or are willfully ignorant of it, and to communicate the intent to keep plowing ahead into self-destruction like this destroys what confidence the remaining players have left.  as a software developer myself, i understand the notion of "we need to fix this broken thing before it becomes too difficult to handle" with respect to the conversion from Xanascript to Lua - i know well the struggle of dealing with management who says "no, we cant fix this bad stuff, we have to implement these new features" - but when its at the point where a "new feature" is so necessary that the lack thereof is killing the project by driving users away, there really needs to be a reality check about the situation.

edit: also, to be clear, i dont want to be throwing staff under the bus or turn into a doomsayer or anything like that, but as i see it, there really need to be some major changes in the thought processes and direction of the staff, because this slow drag of relying on the patience of the playerbase is seriously untenable for this amount of time.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Just throwing out an issue I've always had and that's bad luck as a reason for players leaving LOL Maybe an RNG system overhaul? :D   It does seem the same people always struggle and the same people always have success. :s I think there is some kind of conspiracy here. :dodgy: But have no fear! ;) Detective Jobey is now on the case. :cool:

justme1306

Youngster
george this post is to explain why game is quiet and looking for solution calling staff lazy wont help.
also saying stuff going slow for now....its always been slow and its true patience of players has some limit. when i see 8 players online sometimes even less we can see this patience has a limit but without insulting staff we could help them by bringing ideas and try to help them to motivate them not sure its motivating reading they are lazy

Jobey said:
Just throwing out an issue I've always had and that's bad luck as a reason for players leaving LOL Maybe an RNG system overhaul? :D   It does seem the same people always struggle and the same people always have success. :s I think there is some kind of conspiracy here. :dodgy: But have no fear! ;) Detective Jobey is now on the case. :cool:  ​

hm...i think it depend how long you play not sure there is a problem with rng but tier can be a problem i mean....i play 10-15+ hours daily and takes months to find tier 5 so i cant imagine someone who play 5-10 hours weekly

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
justme1306 said:
hm...i think it depend how long you play not sure there is a problem with rng but tier can be a problem i mean....i play 10-15+ hours daily and takes months to find tier 5 so i cant imagine someone who play 5-10 hours weekly

Well let's face it when active I was never known for luck but that comment was not to be taken seriously, I was trying to ease tensions on the forum. LOL

GuiiHenrique

Booo, I can say that I started at PWO a few years ago, and I'm not going to lie, I saw great updates in that time that brought benefits to the game. However, these updates that I consider beneficial, are those that came with the intention of correcting the problems created by the previous management, that is, are improvements that in my vision resulted in something positive.​

However, I assert that the PWO no longer holds my attention as before, and that the current moment of the game lessens my expectations even more.​

To be direct, the last time the PWO brought me hope was when the Battle Tower was added. Even as a collector in the game, the addition of new items seemed to be something positive, something that had potential and that made me invest many hours in this "new" mode. The proof of my investment in BT is in its Ranking, but the abandonment of the game already presents itself there, when we see the error message written in place of the nicks...​

Well, the vision I have of PWO today is from a game that has good ideas, but that ends up getting complicated in its applications or gives up on the first problem that is presented. In this regard, I can use the example of the map contest, using the time it took to announce the winner until the launch of the event.​

Still in the matter of time, I would also like to remind you that it has been more than a year since the Topic Project Frostbite, which also seemed to have potential, but which in the end ended up being "forgotten".​
Anyway, it seems to me that the PWO prefers to live on achievements made in the past and this is reflected in the average amount of online players per day, since nowadays there is not much to do after a few hours of game.​
_______________________​

Well, personal opinion ... When I commit to doing something, whether it is paid or not, the least I can do is to perform my tasks with quality and as soon as possible. If for some reason I can not donate at least 70% of my abilities to fulfill the expectations imposed on me, it is better to transfer them to those who can, so I do not give hope or harm to anyone.​

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
GuiiHenrique said:
Well, personal opinion ... When I commit to doing something, whether it is paid or not, the least I can do is to perform my tasks with quality and as soon as possible. If for some reason I can not donate at least 70% of my abilities to fulfill the expectations imposed on me, it is better to transfer them to those who can, so I do not give hope or harm to anyone.​

This quote is exactly what I had in mind when I said "if there is a way to log how much work a staff member puts in I say look over those logs and begin to cut the people that do so little and try to find somebody to replace them with." Yeah this likely wont solve any issues about the players that have been lost but it may help the future of how well PWO may be maintained and perhaps help with the witch hunt and backlash the staff receives from the player base. Also would help with the same old unfair complaint of "lazy staff this" and "lazy staff that"

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
yeah and it reminds me of just having 3 on the other night, it's a sad state, but better there be 3-5 instead of just 0-1. The interesting  thing is of those 5 on that list I only know 2 of those names, the other 3 I have never seen before so it shows we are having a player transition and still getting new players. We just have to come together as a community to try and keep those new players.

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
we all do the same moo but who doesn't want his best game to develop i think we all in same side here /jobey hhh i always thought the same thing tbh cause it's named RNG=Random but it just appear that luck is always with specific persons :(

The-Joker

shodan21 said:
HitmonFonty said:

as a software developer myself, i understand the notion of "we need to fix this broken thing before it becomes too difficult to handle" with respect to the conversion from Xanascript to Lua - i know well the struggle of dealing with management who says "no, we cant fix this bad stuff, we have to implement these new features" 

about that: https://prnt.sc/h4f4kn

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
yes furchia but let's not talk about it here but the ss that joker posted made my mind freeze :eek: 0_o

Grivin

Youngster
hello everyone.
first i didn't play as much as i used to be and only logged in occasionally in my free time.
pwo might not as good as it used to be player base wise, but guys, if you loves the game, support the guys who keeps it alive.. being mean to the staff will not help the game at all.
i didn't know much about the staff, but i do remember a player hitmonfonty helping me more than 5 years a go when i got stuck in cerulean gym as a player (hes not even a cg at the time), giving me list of possible solution until i finally freed, spending almost 1 hour of his time to help a total newbie who got stuck behind NPC and a wall. PWO might not be considered as top tier pokemon game at the moment, but as long as a guy like fonty is in charge, hopefully we might be able to see it in a good state again soon enough. why? because when everything is ready, they could easily advertise this game to get more player. BUT everything has to be in form for that to happen, might take a while since everything is being reworked. instead of bringing negativity if u do capable, submit your work as a mapper or anything, if u cant (just like me) just wait patiently.
and last, thank you for still working on one of my favorite game.

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
ok let's make it clear no one here is attacking staff we just here to discuss is there anything we can do to get old players/friends) back to game cause once you see all your friends dissapear one after another you will lose your will to play pwo and that way everyone will just leave

Status
Not open for further replies.