The project for the future.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I agree with virtually all about your topic, I just want to add some points to system pvp, the game needs show a count of turns for reflect, light screen and weathers, would be like a visual feedback during the battles

How many stat level boosts/ negatives a pokemon has could also be useful. Actually showing the item sprite the pokemon is holding would be useful. There's a lot of things that could be useful.

Like fixing the broken battle mechanics

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
Showing everything that is needed in percentages or in turns will always be useful. The full disclosure is always great in case attention is lost.

The-Joker

How many stat level boosts/ negatives a pokemon has could also be useful. Actually showing the item sprite the pokemon is holding would be useful. There's a lot of things that could be useful.

Like fixing the broken battle mechanics

u have a point about update stats during the battle, but the current system of held items already OK, if the game has one sprite for each iten, we talking about 100 sprites+ per pokemon, you should not see the opponent held's unless you are using ability frisk...

ImTachi

Youngster
you should not see the opponent held's unless you are using ability frisk...
Team preview isn't about Knowing Held items of opponents pokemons, it's only that both players pokemon will appear before battle starts.

Cleveland

Youngster
Team preview isn't about Knowing Held items of opponents pokemons, it's only that both players pokemon will appear before battle starts.
He was responding to a post suggesting held items should be shown:

Actually showing the item sprite the pokemon is holding would be useful.

Although, as Joker pointed out, you should not be able to see your opponents held items, period, outside of unique abilities/moves that allow you to do so. Team Preview has nothing to do with it

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
u have a point about update stats during the battle, but the current system of held items already OK, if the game has one sprite for each iten, we talking about 100 sprites+ per pokemon, you should not see the opponent held's unless you are using ability frisk...

I was kinda joking about seeing the enemies items.

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
I was kinda joking about seeing the enemies items.
Well this thread isn't for the lols, it's a reference. Aside from this, if you watch VGCs.. they actually submit teams with items, moves and everything. And its the biggest official competition.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I would propose that the "Legendary" pokemon be "Fake-mons" instead. PWO Exclusive Pokemon that have the same typings/ movesets/ abilities/ Base Stats as the 600- bst Legendaries, but be named differently, maybe even have lower evolutions, and different sprites.

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
I would propose that the "Legendary" pokemon be "Fake-mons" instead. PWO Exclusive Pokemon that have the same typings/ movesets/ abilities/ Base Stats as the 600- bst Legendaries, but be named differently, maybe even have lower evolutions, and different sprites.
Already said above, we want talks to be serious and productive. Trolls don't fit.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Already said above, we want talks to be serious and productive. Trolls don't fit.

And I seriously proposed that. As far as PvP is concerned it doesn't matter what the sprites look like or what the names are. The parts that matter are Base Stats + Typings + Abilities + Movesets. So if staff wanted to keep "Legendaries" from being a thing, but also would like to change the pvp meta, this is the best alternative.

Cleveland

Youngster
And I seriously proposed that. As far as PvP is concerned it doesn't matter what the sprites look like or what the names are. The parts that matter are Base Stats + Typings + Abilities + Movesets. So if staff wanted to keep "Legendaries" from being a thing, but also would like to change the pvp meta, this is the best alternative.
I understand the thought, but introducing fake mons just seems really unnecessary and IMO would weaken the credibility of the game.

To add to some of my previous points - I'm just not seeing the need for special "kid gloves" treatment of these weaker legendary Pokemon. Truthfully, I don't think they would need to be treated any differently than any other great T5 mon. If you want to lock them behind a quest on a unique map (similar to Dragon's Den), cool. I think that'd be neat. If you want to make them the hardest T5 to find in the game, cool, makes sense. But I strongly believe any sort of limitation on how many you can catch or standardization of IVs would be the wrong way to go about it and could potentially be disastrous. Plus, if you release them as I'm suggesting, there's also no need to make them untradable either, IMO.

Starting to roll these out following the release of Sevii could be a nice, relatively simple way of maintaining momentum for the game.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
It has been stated many times in the past, and remains a target for us, that we aim to support all officially released Pokémon as best as we're able. This includes those species which are commonly referred to, both officially and by fans, as “Legendary”. What we do NOT want to do is have their introduction create an imbalance in the battle scene. For example, if players were able, without significant effort or control, to create teams that consisted entirely of “Legendaries”; and, as a direct consequence, these players became unassailable by other players who have not, cannot, or will not create similar teams, then this to us would constitute a major failure by us to maintain fair game balance. There are other factors besides this to consider, which include concerns both practical and lore-based. However, I want to reassure everyone that it is indeed our goal to have some sort of mechanism in the long-term future of the game for players to be able to utilize “Legendary” Pokémon for themselves, in a balanced manner.

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
It has been stated many times in the past, and remains a target for us, that we aim to support all officially released Pokémon as best as we're able. This includes those species which are commonly referred to, both officially and by fans, as “Legendary”. What we do NOT want to do is have their introduction create an imbalance in the battle scene. For example, if players were able, without significant effort or control, to create teams that consisted entirely of “Legendaries”; and, as a direct consequence, these players became unassailable by other players who have not, cannot, or will not create similar teams, then this to us would constitute a major failure by us to maintain fair game balance. There are other factors besides this to consider, which include concerns both practical and lore-based. However, I want to reassure everyone that it is indeed our goal to have some sort of mechanism in the long-term future of the game for players to be able to utilize “Legendary” Pokémon for themselves, in a balanced manner.
That's great to hear. Also why this thread was made in first place. It is balanced and a key for a balanced future in terms of updates as well.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I understand the thought, but introducing fake mons just seems really unnecessary and IMO would weaken the credibility of the game.

What's the point of having a fan made game if liberties can't be taken? If we're forced to only play like the official games, then why don't we just play the official games?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
What's the point of having a fan made game if liberties can't be taken? If we're forced to only play like the official games, then why don't we just play the official games?
Then play GPX+.

Edit: That reply was perhaps a little curt, and does not represent the views of the Staff team. So, to give an actual serious answer to that question:

While PWO has toyed with the concept of novelty Pokémon designs in the past (anyone remember "blazing" Pokémon?), this is not an idea we are currently pursuing at this time. As for creating our own "Fake"mon... This idea has been mooted in the past, but it was generally felt that part of the reason people play PWO in the first place is for its authenticity and nostalgia, which this would run counter to. That said, if enough of the playerbase disagree with this view, then I guess it'd be something worthy of future discussion... although, I am not exaggerating when I say it would be quite an endeavour.

Last edited:

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
Note for future self: Reply to this thread with better answers after we have released the Sevii Expansion update.

Sadly cannot answer with the discussion you might be looking for from staff side just yet.
It is an incredibly good write up, with detailed and thought out balanced ideas. I can safely say we've had discussions in the past on every one of these points at some point behind staff doors, so you're nailing the big ticket items.
I guess it's the time for bump then?