The problem with criticals

HOF69

I won't begin to say that I speak for the entire battling community, but I do believe that a lot of battlers will agree with me when I say that the rate of critical hits in PWO is absurd. The advertised rate is 5%, and to that I say it's not even close. Regardless if 5% is the number coded into the game, it's more like 10% in actual battles. To those that say more criticals will happen because only attacking moves are used, please realize that battles in PWO are very short and not that many attacks are actually used per battle compared to a real battle in the handhelds. I have battled more than enough to see that about an average of 2 criticals are seen per battle (this doesn't include any criticals that might be happening when a Pokemon is OHKOed or finished off).

I recommend that critical hits be disabled altogether until certain features are implemented. In the real games, Pokemon typically have access to held items (e.g. Leftovers or Focus Sash) or healing moves (e.g. Recover or Slack Off) to deal with criticals. Seeing as there is no way for 99% of Pokemon in PWO to heal at all, 1 critical hit usually determines the outcome of a entire battle. That shouldn't be the case. I realize that disabling them completely may seem a little extreme, so if that's not an option, then I recommend that the rate be lowered to something like 1%.

dageki

I have to disagree with this. I find in the handhelds the critical hits are more common than expected too. It's something you notice going through the elite four a lot if your team just has the edge but their crits are what ends up beating your team. They may have a set value of less than 10% but in reality it doesn't work out that way. Crits are a part of pokemon, and they have already been reduced once here. I say leave them as they are. They have the same chance of benefitting both parties and losing such a great update to the game or reducing it till it's no longer noticeable would be a huge backward step in my opinion. The only update I'm looking forward to in this regard is one Teck has already said she is working on- getting the critical hit to show in the battle dialogue.

The-Predator

Youngster
As i said in another topic about critical hits, hmm i dont see a problem with em, though yeah they may seem to be happening a bit more than they should, but what i do rlly hate is not to be able to know when a crit was done, how hard is to display when a crit has been made??

fOxys

I also have struggled a lot these past few days and have noticed the same as the HOF. Even today we battled and S gyarados it killed my Heracross with crit Aqua Tail and soon after killed my Honckrow crit with ice fang. My battle was soon lost because of a sort which can either be an angel with a devil for each player. I think the most fair to all would not be the same. The battle mode of each and each strategy should be designed to cover all types of pokemon and is unfair to a player can twist just because a battle begins to get more than 1 critical to the opponent.
In tournaments we paid for our registration and is a bit unfair to lose battles because of the critical.
To me took up the critics and continued to bet on TM's and their improvement, because they have been doing a good job in this field!

I speak for myself, thank you :)

BlackBloodz

Gonna leave this in here http://forum.pokemon-world-online.net/showthread.php?tid=29604

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
One of the better things about PWO was that there was no heavy luck factor in battles. Now, point blank... the most frustrating thing in battles is critical hitting. It really aggravates every battler I know. It is needless for a game that doesn't necessarily want to be exactly like the handhelds. Most battlers would be a lot more happy, and less angry overall if they were removed... this is reason enough to remove them.