Switching out during battles

Kaehf

Whenever I defeat another Pokemon in a battle. Only the other trainer can switch their Pokemon. In the other Pokemon games (Diamond, Platinum, etc.), you are given a choice to switch or keep the Pokemon that just battled. But in PWO you are not given the choice. For me, I feel like I am being restricted because I am not given the choice to switch out or not. Although after you have defeated the other person and they have chosen their Pokemon, you can switch, but the other Pokemon gets to use a move, and you can't. This may change the outcome of the battle, even in the slightest.

I would suggest that you should add the choice to switch or keep your Pokemon. This will allow more strategies into the game.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Unfortunately when two pokemon switch a the same time there is still a chance the battle will glitch, which is why I would assume the restriction is there. With further fixes to the battle system this will hopefully change.

In most other cases if patient such glitches can be avoided when switching in PvP, however many players still do not like switching to be used at all.

Kaehf

HitmonFonty said:
Unfortunately when two pokemon switch a the same time there is still a chance the battle will glitch, which is why I would assume the restriction is there. With further fixes to the battle system this will hopefully change.

In most other cases if patient such glitches can be avoided when switching in PvP, however many players still do not like switching to be used at all.

If the majority of players don't like the suggestion, then it's fine. However if the battle system is fixed, there should be like a poll, or something like that will determine whether players still want it or not. When time passes the majority of people who don't like the switching of Pokemon, may have a change of heart.

Friko

You are mistaken on an account my friend, currently the battle system isn't completely operational yes, but regardless of that, never in any PVP situation in any pokemon game have you been able to switch when your opponent loses a pokemon. CPU's yes, in every pokemon game, you are given the option to switch out your pokemon, not only that, but the game tells you what the CPU's next pokemon will be. (This was so that EV's and leveling up could be distributed in any way you desired in actual games). But, if PVP were to do something like let you switch at the moment that a pokemon had been KO'ed then you would have a problem. Seeing as if a person had complete control over 1 of your pokemon, he would win the match, because he would simply switch to a pokemon that would overpower your next pokemon (as your pokemon would typically be a pokemon that counters his), example: Arcanine vs Gyarados, (either side can win due to STAB water or Thunderfang), lets say Arcanine wins, the opponent will either switch to a faster pokemon, or a pokemon who's typing would beat arcanine easily. At that point of guessing, the Arcanine trainer switches to a more suitable fighter. Regardless the other side is FORCED to switch out and also of course at the end of the day STILL has an extremely low chance of winning due to the arcanine still being a threat after these shennanigans.

Saric

Youngster
Friko said:
You are mistaken on an account my friend, currently the battle system isn't completely operational yes, but regardless of that, never in any PVP situation in any pokemon game have you been able to switch when your opponent loses a pokemon. CPU's yes, in every pokemon game, you are given the option to switch out your pokemon, not only that, but the game tells you what the CPU's next pokemon will be. (This was so that EV's and leveling up could be distributed in any way you desired in actual games). But, if PVP were to do something like let you switch at the moment that a pokemon had been KO'ed then you would have a problem. Seeing as if a person had complete control over 1 of your pokemon, he would win the match, because he would simply switch to a pokemon that would overpower your next pokemon (as your pokemon would typically be a pokemon that counters his), example: Arcanine vs Gyarados, (either side can win due to STAB water or Thunderfang), lets say Arcanine wins, the opponent will either switch to a faster pokemon, or a pokemon who's typing would beat arcanine easily. At that point of guessing, the Arcanine trainer switches to a more suitable fighter. Regardless the other side is FORCED to switch out and also of course at the end of the day STILL has an extremely low chance of winning due to the arcanine still being a threat after these shennanigans.
What? Depending on your settings you've always been able to switch out when defeating a poke. If I remember correctly, even in cases in wifi PvP in the main games, and especially in battle simulators.
The bolded bit is literally what happens in the metagame. However it doesn't tell you what pokemon your opponent is switching to.

Friko

Saric said:
Friko said:
What? Depending on your settings you've always been able to switch out when defeating a poke. If I remember correctly, even in cases in wifi PvP in the main games, and especially in battle simulators.
The bolded bit is literally what happens in the metagame. However it doesn't tell you what pokemon your opponent is switching to.

Sorry to say so blatantly, but..your wrong, ill explain in detail:

in a pokemon battle their is a menu right?, it gives you the option to battle (attacks), switch(goes to another pokemon), Items(items), or run.
Although, if a pokemon faints on YOUR team, then you are forced to do a 5th option, this 5th option is called a forced switch.
During a forced switch your opponent cannot do ANY action as it would give too much of an advantage, especially due to the fact that you are literally FORCED to switch out, if YOU can't have options and your opponent does, this is a problem.

The only time this rule is broken is within the main game, as to help beginners throw out a new pokemon, as previously stated it also tells you what the next pokemon is, This is also meant to help EV training early game. As you simply decide at the point the NPC throws out their pokemon, you throw out a pokemon that you want to have the EV yield given from them.

The biggest reason it ISN'T in PVP is due to the shift in balance. For instance, if a pokemon was KO'ed on your side, then your opponent got to switch, they would obviously switch to something that counters whatever you were going to FORCE switch to. (as you typically would Force switch to something that kills their pokemon that is currently out)

example: Gengar= you, Alakazam= opponent
Gengar dies from psychic, force switch occurs
IF actions could be taken during forced switching:
you would probably switch to Tyranitar or a dark type, or a generic dark type (to get rid of alakazam), the opposing battler, in response (BEFORE you even send out your pokemon or have even had a chance to assess the situation further) switches to a fighting type.
This is extremely unbalanced.
Now lets do the actual example from the real pokemon games:
Gengar dies from psychic, Force switch occurs.
"Come back gengar, Go tyranitar/Weavile/ect."
Then new menu occurs with Tyranitar now out, and opponents Alakazam out.
During THIS part sure, either player can switch, because it isn't a Forced Switch.

Where i got my information:
1. I've played every pokemon game out PVP and all-
2. I am vice president of a Gaming club on my campus and have set up PVP pokemon tournaments congruently.
3. I play tournaments both online PVP and walk-in
4. Pokemon Showdown is the most useful battle simulator and i use it consistently.
5. Isn't it obvious that its too much of an advantage if you can switch during your opponents forced switch?

I'm surprised how many players ask for things in-game but never consider balance...Also to a finished response to the initial post
IT wouldn't SLIGHTLY change the outcome...you would DESTROY your opponent completely without them ever lifting a finger...

Saric

Youngster
Friko said:
Saric said:
Friko said:

Sorry to say so blatantly, but..your wrong, ill explain in detail:

in a pokemon battle their is a menu right?, it gives you the option to battle (attacks), switch(goes to another pokemon), Items(items), or run.
Although, if a pokemon faints on YOUR team, then you are forced to do a 5th option, this 5th option is called a forced switch.
During a forced switch your opponent cannot do ANY action as it would give too much of an advantage, especially due to the fact that you are literally FORCED to switch out, if YOU can't have options and your opponent does, this is a problem.

The only time this rule is broken is within the main game, as to help beginners throw out a new pokemon, as previously stated it also tells you what the next pokemon is, This is also meant to help EV training early game. As you simply decide at the point the NPC throws out their pokemon, you throw out a pokemon that you want to have the EV yield given from them.

The biggest reason it ISN'T in PVP is due to the shift in balance. For instance, if a pokemon was KO'ed on your side, then your opponent got to switch, they would obviously switch to something that counters whatever you were going to FORCE switch to. (as you typically would Force switch to something that kills their pokemon that is currently out)

example: Gengar= you, Alakazam= opponent
Gengar dies from psychic, force switch occurs
IF actions could be taken during forced switching:
you would probably switch to Tyranitar or a dark type, or a generic dark type (to get rid of alakazam), the opposing battler, in response (BEFORE you even send out your pokemon or have even had a chance to assess the situation further) switches to a fighting type.
This is extremely unbalanced.
Now lets do the actual example from the real pokemon games:
Gengar dies from psychic, Force switch occurs.
"Come back gengar, Go tyranitar/Weavile/ect."
Then new menu occurs with Tyranitar now out, and opponents Alakazam out.
During THIS part sure, either player can switch, because it isn't a Forced Switch.

Where i got my information:
1. I've played every pokemon game out PVP and all-
2. I am vice president of a Gaming club on my campus and have set up PVP pokemon tournaments congruently.
3. I play tournaments both online PVP and walk-in
4. Pokemon Showdown is the most useful battle simulator and i use it consistently.
5. Isn't it obvious that its too much of an advantage if you can switch during your opponents forced switch?

I'm surprised how many players ask for things in-game but never consider balance...Also to a finished response to the initial post
IT wouldn't SLIGHTLY change the outcome...you would DESTROY your opponent completely without them ever lifting a finger...

Then It seems that I completely misunderstood your initial comment. Apologies.

Nikola

Youngster
Just to point it out. You aren't given the option to switch in a PvP battle while they are preparing to call new Pokemon in. Thats case with battle sims and wifi battles. If you are having normal battle..say NPC battle, well the message will appear saying PkmnTrainer X is about to send Pokemon X in, would you like to switch your Pokemon. It's more about you knowing what Pokemon follows then actually being limited to switch. Two different things.