Staff - Player Interaction.

Tecknician

I have a few questions I would like to ask and encourage players to voice their opinion and start a discussion regarding what staff should and shouldn't do with the players in game.

1) Should staff be able to trade in game for legit reasons using legit pokemoney/pokemon with players?

2) Should Staff members be able to join a guild on their player account? Which staff positions should be restricted if any?

3) Should staff members be able to join a guild on their staff account? Which staff positions should be restricted if any?

4) Should staff hold mini events and give out prizes without other staff authorization? What types of prizes should be limited if any if answered yes?

5) Should staff be allowed to battle players using their staff accounts? What limitations should be enforced if any?

Any other concerns about staff interactions with players are free to be raised up as well. Also, it would be helpful if you would state your reasons to your answers.

Thank you.
Tecknician.

Saric

Youngster
1). No. If staff are in game they likely have some sort of job or task to do and shouldn't be trading.
2). On their player account I see no issue as long as favoritism doesn't get in the way.
3). No. This could very easily lead to the staff member abusing their position to promote their own guild. Why join X guild if Y guild has a staff member in it/leading it?
4). To an extent. Nothing too flashy should be given away (monetary or a semi-rare poke). Anything more should probably get permission from higher ups to do so.
5). See reasoning on #1.

pokearcanine

1) no

2) yes

3) no

4) max prizes need a restriction(until S rare is fine i think),rarer than that only with staff permission

5) yes

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
1) Should staff be able to trade in game for legit reasons using legit pokemoney/pokemon with players?
Well I can think of good pros and cons to this. Certain members of staff have nothing to do on their staff accounts other than moderate channels and hunt, so being that they're taking their time to help the comminity I think it's only fair that they can transfer things that they find legitimately to their player account. That being said I wouldn't like to see staff using their influence to get good deals, so IMO things that they find legitimately should be transferred over to player accounts and sold there, no trades between staff accounts and players should be available.

2) Should Staff members be able to join a guild on their player account? Which staff positions should be restricted if any?
yes, I see no reason why they shouldn't as long as they're able to disregard their personal bias towards guild members when needed. Staff shouldn't have to go out of their way to hide their identity just to have friends.

3) Should staff members be able to join a guild on their staff account? Which staff positions should be restricted if any?
No, I don't think it's fair for some staff to be able to join on staff accounts but others don't have the luxury because of their positions. If a staff without an active player account wants to join a guild then they should simply do as I do and become an active honorary member of the guild through xat.

4) Should staff hold mini events and give out prizes without other staff authorization? What types of prizes should be limited if any if answered yes?
To a degree, It would be one thing if someone decided to hold a hide and seek event and give a shiny ratata or pidgey away I would have no problem with it, it's all in good fun. I could see a problem if S Rares, HR pokes, and millions were being given away on a whim, it could also lead to corruption in giving their friends an advantage if it's anything substancial. Anything like an official tournament with great prizes should be discussed with other staff.

5) Should staff be allowed to battle players using their staff accounts? What limitations should be enforced if any?

Yes, I don't see a problem with that as long as the player agrees to battling lv 100 Shiny legendaries lol. If that's not something the player wants to do then either don't accept or discuss not using legendaries with the staff. If a player takes his W/L Ratio too seriously then simply don't battle

xellos15

- yes as long as everything is legit.

- i dont see why not. they are the most active sometimes.

- yes for me

- i think staff authorization is a must if a staff account hold an event

- yes they should be allowed.

DK64

Im just going to throw something out there about battles. I have been staff for a very short amount of time but from what I have gathered I feel if staff member blablabla battles some players then staff member lalala will get hounded with "well blablabla battled us"
as long as players are respectful of the staffs time and doesnt over annoy them I do not have much issues with battles.
I plan to only have 1 pokemon with me at a time so if staff are ever allowed to battle players dont expect to battle me ;)

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
My opinion will obviously have traditional biases with it.

#1: Trading with players.
Absolutely not. Never, never ever. What legit reasons would there be that couldn't be done with another staff member? Trading with another staff is a lot less risky than anything involving a player. I remember catching a staff giving a player eeveelutions long ago; I don't want a repeat of that anywhere near the realm of possibility let alone the possibility of excuse.

#2: Guilds and Staff accounts.
At the least, I feel that staff should not be able to create a guild or be in a guild they created. Any good guild leader would want to nurture said guild and that could lead to info leaks (if on a content staff) or undeserved mercy/looking the other way (if on a moderation staff). This is just human nature; I'm not referring to any current staff, but for any staff ever, now AND future. It removes a lot of potential moral dilemmas, even if they are less obvious now that most staff are anonymous.

#3: You repeated the guild question twice, hehe.

#4: Mini quests + prizes?
Only if it involves linear games and with restricted prizes. The less judgement calls the better (although a few now and then won't hurt terribly). I've played a few games where staff did this; most of the time it was fun, but sometimes lag/poor judgements killed the mood and made me feel poorly about the staff involved for a day or more.

#5: Battling on accounts
I don't particularly care. When I was a player (back in 2009-early 2010) staff battled players commonly enough. It was pretty fun (especially when they used odd pokemon) and there were few cons, mostly involving other staff being harassed to battle, staff distraction, and fairness between players who could get rare pokedex data. (I still have leafeon marked as seen.)

#Sidenote:
From my personal experience as staff, my own level of interaction and personal demeanor with players has been well received from both them and (as far as I can tell) other staff. The trick is when talking to players, I would mostly focus on trying to be understanding and polite. I enjoy the pursuit of trying to better myself.

Perhaps something useful could be grabbed from this. Then again, perhaps not, because this was just a personal goal and other people value different things. But I know that the semi-"customer" service quality we have going on here would improve a lot with that kind of effort. (Not that many aren't already doing this.)

Naero

1. Even without the obvious off-boundary interactions - staff-spawned Pokemon traded therefrom the staff accounts - I don't believe it will bring any benefits to the table. Their commercial activity can be centralized on their player accounts, but I don't believe such activity conducted on their staff account could operate on the same standards; by nature of the community's perception on the staff, they're too often treated differently than players, sheerly due to their rank.

This could potentially breed more inequality, as some may immediately find a market-active staff member more reputable simply due to a rank that honest/reliable player traders do not; not to mention, as Eco mentioned, such favoritism may also make the difference in bargaining a better deal.

I personally am not at the belief that these inequalistic ramifications should exist, due to staff members engaging in an activity that their player accounts have the capacity to do.

2. I do not see the harm in this, as long as they are able to isolate their chemistry with their guild from the unconditional disposition they should have for their staff-work -- this especially applies to GMs+, whose roles may be the most susceptible to being hampered by player relations.

3. I do not see any reason for them to join on their staff accounts, when they have player accounts at their disposal. If their player account is not accepted into the guild, this suggests to me that their staff account is favored for the wrong reasons. Furthermore, player-oriented activity should not be depolarized from staff-oriented activity; and joining guilds is not indispensable for any staff function, but it gives rise to the likelihood of another form of inequal treatment/influence.

4. I do not see a problem with occasional self-commissioned staff-hosted events, as long as the prizes are within reason -- preferably only Pokemon/pokemoney obtained legitimately by themselves. Additionally, I do not believe staff members should not enrich the prizes by accepting "donor prizes", volunteered by players, due to the inequality inheritance mentioned earlier. That reiterated, I don't believe player-organizable events (ie: tournaments) should be done by staff members excessively, as doing so may detract from player-hosted events -- which are player-operated enterprises that, in one's humble opinion, should not be given the short end of the stick.

Moreover, should any staff-spawned prizes become claimable in a staff-hosted event, it most likely should require authorization from their superiors.

5. Apart from events sanctioned by their superiors, I don't believe this is an activity that should be exercised. Even if there is mutual consent between the player and staff member, it influences a standard that may end up being bothersome to other staff members who may not wish to engage in a battle. The only separable reason I can imagine for players wanting to battle staff members, aside from their inborn reputation of course, would be for staff-spawned Pokemon, often including Pokemon that are not obtainable by players. Even for accolades as trivial as seen-data pokedex entries, I don't believe they are gameplay achievements that should be inequally attainable to players, who'd have to request a staff member to battle to see X Pokemon.

However, if only legitimately-obtained Pokemon were deployed by the staff as well, I'd be more indifferent. I just don't find it ultra-necessary for staff members to do what they're perfectly capable of doing on their player accounts; and I'd overall prefer that player accounts are treated more separably from staff accounts.

Future~Sight

Youngster
Website
www.matmartinez.net
From their staff account? No. But i think they are already allowed to trade with their player accounts? Also, regarding Trades, I'd like to see another Official Auction going up soon to pump out these billions from the game.

Yes. No restrictions imo. (A poll can be done for ADMs and DEVs tho)

Not really, they have their player accounts for that :p But CGs and GEs can be allowed? (Apps too, if u count them as staff)

Yes! But of course there shouldn't be any big bold shinies or legendaries. Only small events :p I really support the idea of having regular mini-events once u have all those big things like new playerdex off your shoulders.

Maybe you should let each staff decide this for themselves? They just shouldn't get spawned with annoying battle requests all time.

Those events like Hide and Seek and games like Chain Game, Pokemon Uno and Mistery Brawl Cup improves the interaction between players and staff.

Merse

Youngster
1. Definitely not. Players would sooner or later start accusing staff members of cheating by manipulating their belongings. It also would be a huge and unnecessary temptation for staff members to abuse their power. You have enough issues to deal with :) Presuming of course that we're talking about their staff account. Dovee for instance keeps trading on the forum and I can't see any problem with that.

2. With their player account, sure, why not?

3. I don't think it would be a good idea as it would be inevitable that some of their guild mates would be accused by playing unfair, or cheating and getting away with it because "they are the pals of the admin".

4. Yes, but possible rewards should be restricted to items, modest amount of Pokemoney, S Commons, or UC Pokemon. Anything more valuable would be a way to abuse or to be accused by abusing their power.

5. I would love that, although there should be some kind of system which limits the whole idea. Like, as Naero said, some staff member should be able to stay out of this if they wish. And the battles shouldn't take time from the staff member's work time.
What I have in mind is a quest. First, you have to have all the badges and at least a full team (e.g. 6) of 99 Pokes. Then you have to finish a quest, something relatively time consuming and what involves some serious battles against NPCs. In the end you can chose which staff member you wish to battle. Obviously only those names appear who agreed to do PVP. Then you get into a queue for the staff member, and he/she decides when to battle. Of course this may require some negotiations with the player, but you get the point... The staff member won't battle anyone else until he didn't did it with the previous players in the queue, thus guaranteeing that sooner or later you'll have a chance to battle but it wouldn't cripple the staff's work. Of course if a player become unavailable for say 2 weeks, he would be removed from the queue and he should do the quest again. Oh yeah, and of course you won't be able to do the quest again until you're in a queue.

psychosamm

Youngster
I don't think staff should be able to trade with other players with their staff account, however i agree that they should be able to transfer anything they find legitimately to their player account.

I see nothing wrong with this at all. I think any staff member should be allowed to be in a guild on their player account.

Staff members should appear unbiased while on their staff account, being on that account should simply be about doing whatever for the game, there's really no need for a staff account to be in a guild in my opinion.

I absolutely support this idea, it sounds like a ton of fun and would make the community much more interactive. As for the prizes it should only be limited to small amounts of pokemoney (No more than 2m), or maybe one or two shiny commons. For larger amounts of pokemoney or rarer shinies, perhaps a system should be in place where the one staff member asks another staff member (not necessarily an admin, but maybe a GM) for permission to check off on the prize just to make sure nothing crazy is being handed out.

I see nothing wrong with staff battling players, as long as its agreed upon i see no issue. Plus when a player accepts they should know its pretty likely that they will loose due to shiny legendaries and whatnot xD I can also see this as a nice way for players to fill up their pokedex.

Mega.S

If the staff have access to databases that allow finding pokemons with great IVs for example with 32 speed, or if they receive tokens for their services, definitely not

No, staff members must be impartial in the game so it can not be linked to guilds

No, staff members must be impartial in the game so it can not be linked to guilds

Yes, the game need this... without other staff authorization they can make mini events with S rares as prize for example
with other staff authorization they can make biggest events with prizes like Shinys UC and Legendary pokemons.

Yes that will be nice, but is better that battles dont count as win or loses.

Nikola

Youngster
Current system is just fine for me. However, I don't have anything against staffs trading money of the scammer and returning it back to a victim if they are all online at the time when victim made an report. Based on evidence, staff should know if it's the right thing to do so. Then again this would require total cooperation with every side. Due to natures of the players I wouldn't allow to any staff to do Pokemon trades with players since it might become common habit such as moving Pokemon from one account to another. Player account can work well there as well.

Can't see anything bad happening there. However due to nature of the job I would only allow GEs to join with their player account. Every other rank has to focus more important things rather then establishing some relationship with a players. Same can be told for GEs but then again I can't see anything bad if one GE is a member of the guild on their player account.

Personally I don't see enough valid reason why staff would be a part of the guild made by a player if they are able to make an player account and join with it?
This would apply for GEs since I already told above that I can't see any other rank joining due to possible emotions that can arise between staff and a player. One day those emotions can result in a different way of making decisions no matter what nature decision is and that is not acceptable. Only join the guild when one case has to be solved such as guild made as a storage of scammed goods and Pokemon has to be taken from there. But I am sure this can be solved other way, just saying though.

Events are very delicate thing for the community since every player is waiting for an event to come. That requires coordinated cooperation among staffs and everyone should work synchronized. Those would be the events where new area, NPCs, spawns etc are needed. Take last Christmas event for example. For mini-events I think authorization from your superior is needed assuming that your superior is more experienced then you are and they might have something else in mind, or event you are planning will prevent them for doing their current/next task. For the events such as Hide & Seek I can't see any big issues since it takes a bit of your free time. However I would limit the ranks doing those events. Pretty same as it is now just wouldn't allow to GMs to do those events since in meantime they can solve few cases either scamming or whatever. Can add exception if you took an day off and your going to put that time for an mini event. However presence of someone who can spawn you an item is needed since I wouldn't be giving any Pokemon or money as a reward. Something like evolution stones and other items are very good reward since they are not easy to get. And above all everyone will have fun.

I don't see anything against staffs battling with players, people would ask for a battle and probably a lot but theres /dis command though. This can apply especially for CGs since they do for front-line interactions with the community, in a beneficial and helpful manner. Helping, having fun and put everyone together at same time gives the magic. I can't see any issue seeing them batting with a player. Same goes for every other staff with a few minutes of a free time, up to them to estimate I guess. Even if that is allowed I can't see GMs, Admins and Developers battling much due to nature of their job and so far they are very professional. Can you imagine for example Admin X battling?. Exceptions can made for testing or something like that. This is the rule I always wanted to see being looked into. Battle can't do no harm, it can only distract someone from their job if they previously failed to estimate situation. Since I am longing for a battle don't take this last paragraph serious due to possible emotions mixed up with my opinion.

-Would like to add that I am aware that I am limiting the GM rank here the most. I just can't see any GM having some kind of emotions toward the player. This rank requires a lot of nerves and patience so does responsibility. In order to be the most efficient there should be no relationship with players. Even saying hello sometimes can give the impression that player is being liked. Most of the GMs job has to be done behind the scenes. Only thing I newer liked is seeing only one GM online with no partners to interact with in this case other GM or other member of the staff. That gives temptation to interact with players. That is why I made last paragraph about a battle more "soft". Battling player or doing an mini-event when you took a day off will do no harm if theres other GM online and that is an big "if".

Puar~87~

Yes, if they caught the pokemon legitimately. If I was a CG and my position required me to be on my CG account to answer questions, why would you expect them to just be sitting there watching the chat scroll by? That is ridiculous. I would want to hunt and occupy myself. If they are lucky enough to catch something good then they should be allowed to keep it for themselves. Noone besides admin's/devs have database access, If I as a GM was to try and get things unfairly then there would be evidence left behind which I would have ability to hide. If I was to transfer a pokemon to my account and it ended up on a player's account then that would be a clear case of abuse of my position.

Yes absolutely, staff are not machines whose sole purpose is to cater to the needs of PWO. We were made staff partially because we love this game, having the freedom to join a guild is part of the game and IMO is one of the best aspects of pwo. By forcing us to give up guilds creates a further divide between staff and players and has caused me to be increasingly distant with the community and because of that increasingly disinterested as well.

**3) Should staff members be able to join a guild on their staff account? Which staff positions should be restricted if any?
I think if an app is allowed to join a guild then an admin should be able to join a guild. Even on their staff. I am not advocating for this one way or the other. But I am an advocate for equality. **

Staff should be allowed to hold minigames such as the much missed "Hide and Seek" or even tournaments. I think there should be a formula when deciding on prizes.

Like for every player involved in a tournament the prize is increased by 2mil and for every ten players it is then increased by another 10mil

As for Hide and seek I would say a prize determined by how many participants (People that find the hider once) say 1 mil per participant. Add that to time, 2 mil per week.
With month by month winners and annual grand prize winners this could be a fun way to award those who are most active.

Yes absolutely. like I said we are not zombies and battling players is a fun way to get involved with the community.

TL:DR - Yes to all, with a *** on number 3. Staff should be allowed to do things at their own discretion and dont need to be treated like children. Many of the people who say no, referenced concerns about security and bias, there is clearly trust issues here. If you dont trust your staff as a whole you have a big issue. If you dont trust me, get rid of me. Trust is key and if you cant trust my judgement why would you put me in a position where a majority of what I do is pass judgement on players?

HeavyPetter

I think they should not. There are some very unique stuff (like legendaries) on some staff accounts that shouldn't be randomly distributed in the game. Also, I think a staff member may get an unfair psychological advantage over a mere player in a trade negotiation.

I see no reason to restrict this at all.

I see no reason to restrict this either.

I think that all events should be checked with another staff member beforehand, and announced on the forums. Prizes should always be proportional to the scale of the event. For example, a legendary could only be given out from a huge event that happens once per year tops, open to all players and announced well before its starting date.

Yes, but they must make sure that their opponent knows that they're battling a staff member.

Mallow-

Youngster
[glow=green]Yes. Sad as I find things to be, the world be not a free place. Staff may have an easyer time - I do not have knowledge of what you all can do - but there always be a reason why sometimes you may have to or be feeling like you have to pay someone for something - and if the reason be legit, why not?[/glow]

[glow=green]Please may someone tell I what the big deal be with Guilds in PWO anyway? From what I see, being in a guild gives nobody an advantage; do not affect the game in a way that matters; and just be a way of connecting self with like-minded people and haveing a tag. I see no reason why this be a problem for Staff to get into. And for the ones who say that maybe looks like Staff prefer some players over others if in a guild - what stops you joining the Guild as well? In the end, Guilds have little meaning.[/glow]

[glow=green]See the last answer. Why must Staff as Staff and Staff as Player be any different?[/glow]

[glow=green]For this I say no. Things go wrong when people do not know each other's plans.[/glow]

HeavyPetter said:
Yes, but they must make sure that their opponent knows that they're battling a staff member.
[glow=green]What he say.[/glow]

LanceDM

~87~ said:
Yes, if they caught the pokemon legitimately. If I was a CG and my position required me to be on my CG account to answer questions, why would you expect them to just be sitting there watching the chat scroll by? That is ridiculous. I would want to hunt and occupy myself. If they are lucky enough to catch something good then they should be allowed to keep it for themselves.

I couldn't have said it better. But this should apply for CGs ONLY. And someone must trace them. I've seen players getting illegal stuff from GMs and Admins, any of you remember ?

Cgs should be able to join... but Gms+ shouldn't.

I don't think so. You may say ''I'm honest, I won't have favoritism'' but still, if you agreed to have an staff position, you should act as one, taking the consecuenses and giving an example, every player will choose that guild because an staff member is inside, just 1 of the many other reasons I could give you... I don't think this should be allowed .

Yes, why not ? But the prizes... Shouldn't be a S rare+ , a non-shiny UC should be the cap.

This is not bad at all, this will give them a chance of keeping their staff acc around watching us while having SOME fun.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Mr. 87 said:
Many of the people who say no, referenced concerns about security and bias, there is clearly trust issues here. If you dont trust your staff as a whole you have a big issue.

I will say that with my time in the world, I can no longer trust human nature let alone a group of people just because they are in that specific group. It is, in my opinion, an unwise notion. I can, however, easily give people benefit of the doubt while suggesting to guard against the worst that could happen (or other downfalls.)

Such issues are, in my opinion, not nearly as clean cut as you make them, because:
Mr. 87 said:
Staff should be allowed to do things at their own discretion and dont need to be treated like children.
Sadly yes, several staff did have to be treated like children or (in my opinion) should've had their behavior addressed by higher ups before the worst actually happened. I have seen staff get demoted for cheating, lying, and abusing their powers before. [Granted, these were staff from long ago, so before any player assumes they know who I'm talking about...they're probably wrong.]

Nonetheless, I do respect your opinion and can appreciate the value of simplicity. But I still stand by that I will not trust a person just because they are in staff. I will trust a person because there are policy safeguards that limit what could go wrong and their co-workers would not tolerate such abuse + have decent character judgement. And I hope this is a fair enough mindset for ya, that you know my opinions don't stem from personal distrust but from past experience that is aimed at humanity in general.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
~87~ said:
If I was a CG and my position required me to be on my CG account to answer questions, why would you expect them to just be sitting there watching the chat scroll by? That is ridiculous. I would want to hunt and occupy myself. If they are lucky enough to catch something good then they should be allowed to keep it for themselves.

CGs, however, do have the liberty to answer questions on the mantle of their player accounts as well, while still exercising their gameplay as a player completely. Only if a player is lodged off-map, under an inescapable setting (ie: if stuck off-map in the Pokemon center) should a CG need to use their staff account—an off-map lag problem that may eventually be prevented in the first place with corrective client updates, to better synchronize the client and server.

Even if trading is considered off-limits for staff (I have no opinion on this), they should be allowed to transfer legitimately-obtained Pokemon from their staff accounts to their player accounts—with direct account-to-account transferability, in a future playerdex update. However, at the very least, they should not be able to trade any Pokemon obtained in areas that are off-limits to players, such as staff-testing areas. The administrative staff can keep tabs on this as well, however, as (last I knew) the area wherefrom a Pokemon was captured is/was logged in the database.

LanceDM

Creobis said:
~87~ said:
If I was a CG and my position required me to be on my CG account to answer questions, why would you expect them to just be sitting there watching the chat scroll by? That is ridiculous. I would want to hunt and occupy myself. If they are lucky enough to catch something good then they should be allowed to keep it for themselves.

CGs, however, do have the liberty to answer questions on the mantle of their player accounts as well, while still exercising their gameplay as a player completely. Only if a player is lodged off-map, under an inescapable setting (ie: if stuck off-map in the Pokemon center) should a CG need to use their staff account—an off-map lag problem that may eventually be prevented in the first place with corrective client updates, to better synchronize the client and server.

Even if trading is considered off-limits for staff (I have no opinion on this), they should be allowed to transfer legitimately-obtained Pokemon from their staff accounts to their player accounts—with direct account-to-account transferability, in a future playerdex update. However, at the very least, they should not be able to trade any Pokemon obtained in areas that are off-limits to players, such as staff-testing areas. The administrative staff can keep tabs on this as well, however, as (last I knew) the area wherefrom a Pokemon was captured is/was logged in the database.

When you are about to join the staff and also when you are taking a serious position, you are aware about your responsabilities. This being said, if you wanna keep hunting, trading, battling, having fun... then you should left the staff position to keep being a normal player instead.