Some would call it a hammer

Tecknician

Merse said:
I beg you dude, use paragraphs.
You know, a little ENTER button here and there.... Your posts are long and almost unreadable...
There is nothing wrong with the system IMO. Those who are deliberately try to cheat in the game and gain unlawful benefits should be punished with the highest severity. No first warning, second warning stuff... If there is a killer out there, and he is caught, should he get a warning and be released so he may kill again? No sir!
In PWO, botting or hacking is the most severe crime you may commit, so you should get the most severe punishment for it. Plus a first warning, second warning system would mean that everyone allowed to bot until he is caught two times. This would be ridiculous. Again, you would allow two kills for everyone and send them jail only after the third?

EDIT: It's very nice you call CGs and fellow players "mediocre" and "a waste of time". Says a lot about you...
Merse said:
Those who are deliberately try to cheat in the game and gain unlawful benefits should be punished with the highest severity.
Not everyone that macros do it deliberately to cheat. Even botters don't always view it as deliberate cheating.
Merse said:
If there is a killer out there, and he is caught, should he get a warning and be released so he may kill again? No sir!
But they are released... after serving so much time. Great argument ::) Can we please move on from this one? It's starting to become insulting.
Merse said:
Again, you would allow two kills for everyone and send them jail only after the third?
No, but would you sentence everyone who did kill to life in jail or on death row after only one? See I can twist bad real life examples to fit a certain view point as well :)
Merse said:
EDIT: It's very nice you call CGs and fellow players "mediocre" and "a waste of time". Says a lot about you..
This says more about you.

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
Empress Teck said:
Merse said:
I beg you dude, use paragraphs.
You know, a little ENTER button here and there.... Your posts are long and almost unreadable...
There is nothing wrong with the system IMO. Those who are deliberately try to cheat in the game and gain unlawful benefits should be punished with the highest severity. No first warning, second warning stuff... If there is a killer out there, and he is caught, should he get a warning and be released so he may kill again? No sir!
In PWO, botting or hacking is the most severe crime you may commit, so you should get the most severe punishment for it. Plus a first warning, second warning system would mean that everyone allowed to bot until he is caught two times. This would be ridiculous. Again, you would allow two kills for everyone and send them jail only after the third?

EDIT: It's very nice you call CGs and fellow players "mediocre" and "a waste of time". Says a lot about you...
Merse said:
Those who are deliberately try to cheat in the game and gain unlawful benefits should be punished with the highest severity.
Not everyone that macros do it deliberately to cheat. Even botters don't always view it as deliberate cheating.
Merse said:
If there is a killer out there, and he is caught, should he get a warning and be released so he may kill again? No sir!
But they are released... after serving so much time. Great argument ::) Can we please move on from this one? It's starting to become insulting.
Merse said:
Again, you would allow two kills for everyone and send them jail only after the third?
No, but would you sentence everyone who did kill to life in jail or on death row after only one? See I can twist bad real life examples to fit a certain view point as well :)
Merse said:
EDIT: It's very nice you call CGs and fellow players "mediocre" and "a waste of time". Says a lot about you..
This says more about you.

This is Pokemon World Online, a game, not a real life thing...I know that we can compare some actions and stuff with pwo, but a botter can't be compared with a Killer or a real life thief, a thief may be a thief because he has a baby that needs medicine, and he steals money to buy the medicine. There are many things that a staff member may analize before using the hammer, botter's age is 1 of them, there are many childs and I think I've mentioned this before in this topic (hmm)... but i'll talk about it later.
The staff should warn and temp bann the account before making use of the permanently bann comand, ofcourse that they are free to delete every pokemon inside exept the starter, they shouldn't leave/let ilegal stuff on that acc. I'm pretty sure that if a botter* did it ''innocently'' (I hope you understand what I mean) that is the way they should act. Its just my point of view, as the topic says.. Which means that I'm not 100 % agreed with the way you (the staff) act on some cases.

I may write a bit more and expand my comment, but I'd like to know why you deleted my comment here ? It was ''my opinion'' like you are asking and I gave you good points... Or I imagined myself writing a comment here and there was no comment at all? If that was the case i'll edit this comment to add some more things...

Tecknician

matileo19 said:
Empress Teck said:
This is Pokemon World Online, a game, not a real life thing...I know that we can compare some actions and stuff with pwo, but a botter can't be compared with a Killer or a real life thief

I may write a bit more and expand my comment, but I'd like to know why you deleted my comment here ? It was ''my opinion'' like you are asking and I gave you good points... Or I imagined myself writing a comment here and there was no comment at all? If that was the case i'll edit this comment to add some more things...
I didn't delete your comment, nor do I know who did.

Also, this is the second time someone brings up murder/prison as a real life analogy to support banning botters/hackers. Me showing that the analogy wrong then a player coming along and saying to stop using real life analogies.

Tell that to the original user of the analogy not me!

Merse

Youngster
Why would the comparison be wrong? Murder and prison is the most severe crime and punishment possible. In PWO botting is the worst thing you can do and permaban is the harshest penalty you may get. You may argue that even a prisoner is released at the end of his time, but let's not forget the different philosophy of the game and real life. In real life, the prisoners take part in a rehabilitation program to ensure they can reintegrate into the society. Scientists already proved that prison without these social programs don't solve the sociological problems of these prisoners. On the contrary, without these programs they would be more dangerous when they get free.
PWO doesn't have this kind of rehabilitation program, and any temp ban which would be sufficient to make a change in the cheater's attitude should be counted in years. Which would effectively be a permaban, because those who got banned would either just make another account or would forget about the game and leave.
I still think the analogy is good.

And I still can't imagine that anyone who hacks the game or uses a program to play for him could just make a "honest mistake". "Honest mistake" is to give your acc to your little brother, or buying a hacked Pokemon, but not botting which has "this is cheating" written all over it...

Tecknician

Merse said:
the prisoners take part in a rehabilitation program to ensure they can reintegrate into the society. Scientists already proved that prison without these social programs don't solve the sociological problems of these prisoners. On the contrary, without these programs they would be more dangerous when they get free.
I get the feeling you haven't actually studied the prison system.

Dovee

Youngster
Merse said:
Why would the comparison be wrong? Murder and prison is the most severe crime and punishment possible. In PWO botting is the worst thing you can do and permaban is the harshest penalty you may get.

You are mistaken here....Botting is not the worst thing in PWO that you can do. Hacking another player and stealing from them is much worse, when you bot you are just cheating. When you hack someone you are involving an innocent player in your crime and causing them damage along with gaining an unfair advantage in the game. You could even take it a step further and stealing their account as a whole and cause it to get banned unfairly and lose everything they have worked hard for. I would say this is much worse than botting and if anything were to deserve the highest form of punishment in PWO I would say it is this.

Ktm4424

But banning for 30 days or no more than 60 days is a good punishment for a botter or anything below this in the severity.
I think it would be a good punishment because its 1 to 2 months of waiting to play this game again or in there choice start over.
Imagine the last time you waited a month or 2 months for something, it is a long time to wait and at least a player gets the chance to keep his pokes if they were his and not stolen.
I am sure a lot of players wouldn't do it again because if they have good stuff they would be afraid of loosing it.
But i agree with Dovee hackers should be perm ban due to actually trying to wrongfully take or do something to another player without the players knowledge or anyway of preventing the hacker from doing so.

Merse

Youngster
If you ban a botter for only 30 days, he will sit it out and continue botting. Anything shorter than 1 year is just not effective enough. And it would send a wrong message: "Go bot a S Dratini for yourself, then wait only 1 month and you will be the most envied player in PWO"

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Merse said:
If you ban a botter for only 30 days, he will sit it out and continue botting. Anything shorter than 1 year is just not effective enough. And it would send a wrong message: "Go bot a S Dratini for yourself, then wait only 1 month and you will be the most envied player in PWO"
Because we would let them keep the botted pokemon if they didn't get a permanent ban....

Ktm4424

If i remember correctly if you do not log into your account for more than 6 months its deleted anyway.
So How would a year ban be any different from a perm ban.
I am sure if you got banned for a year you wouldn't sign in for a while because to a player he may not have a reason to come back and sign in.
So while the player is waiting for his ban to be done and this is only if i am correct that the system or whomever deletes old accounts that haven't been logged into for 6 months is initially a perm ban anyway

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Accounts are deleted after 2 years, not 6 months.

Thor

The problem is with being lenient to botters is the damage can be done very quickly here. People can do enough damage with one chance let along giving someone multiple chances before a ban. Take as an example the only S gligar ingame and other similarly caught S VRs. 90% of the S VRs and S HRs ive seen caught ingame, are caught by people who then withing a month or so are banned for botting or some other similar abuse. However in the time it takes them to get caught, the pokemon in question is traded on so quickly and the damage is done and cant be undone. Thats why I feel botting is a serious breach here and deserves no second chances.

With regards to other offenses, as stated hacking someones account is a very serious breach of privacy and an insult to the hard work they may have put into that account, saying that most hacking cases are when someone has downloaded something they shouldnt or blurted their details out.

Token scams, are in some sense a theft of real money and should therefore be dealt with harshly. These people are in sense, real world criminals and should not be allowed their accounts to be returned and I would be sceptical for them to be allowed any second chance unless they agree to pay back what has been taken in full.

Other forms of scams, double clienting, sharing accounts and other such similar offenses, I would consider to be in a lower bracket and as long as in the case of scams they have returned what is taken, they should be allowed a second chance to show they have changed. Just my view anyway.

Nikola

Youngster
Don't forget what God did after Eve gave an forbidden fruit to Adam who ate it afterwards.

Dovee

Youngster
Darcia said:
Don't forget what God did after Eve gave an forbidden fruit to Adam who ate it afterwards.

Uhhh religion..........

crenel

Youngster
I think that hackers should be granted lenience if they work with staff to patch the problem. That should be encouraged to a certain extent. I want to be clear about that: It's always been my stance that working with people is good -- if you find an exploit, abuse the crap out of it, and then leak it to others in order to "get your point across" or as an attempt to scramble the staff into action, then I'd have banned you. That ain't cool.

I think that anyone abusing hacks or bots given to them by some other creator should be banned. If the creator doesn't alert the staff to the exploit and instead abuses it, then they should be banned/ People should only be granted lenience if they agree to assist with patching it.

I'm sure that the majority of the community would agree with that.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
crenel said:
I think that hackers should be granted lenience if they work with staff to patch the problem. That should be encouraged to a certain extent. I want to be clear about that: It's always been my stance that working with people is good -- if you find an exploit, abuse the crap out of it, and then leak it to others in order to "get your point across" or as an attempt to scramble the staff into action, then I'd have banned you. That ain't cool.

I think that anyone abusing hacks or bots given to them by some other creator should be banned. If the creator doesn't alert the staff to the exploit and instead abuses it, then they should be banned/ People should only be granted lenience if they agree to assist with patching it.

I'm sure that the majority of the community would agree with that.

To be clear, are you talking about being more lenient in general, or something like a plea-bargaining system? For instance someone banned exploiting a glitch instead of claiming innocence or asking for a second chance etc they could give full details of the exploit and gain lenience that way?

I like the idea, and it could be very useful in catching or better yet stopping those exploits (or bots if they give enough info to stop a particular bot) but it would be very limited- you could only do this for 'giving up' information we don't already have. Otherwise it would no doubt be exploited.

crenel

Youngster
HitmonFonty said:
To be clear, are you talking about being more lenient in general, or something like a plea-bargaining system? For instance someone banned exploiting a glitch instead of claiming innocence or asking for a second chance etc they could give full details of the exploit and gain lenience that way?

I like the idea, and it could be very useful in catching or better yet stopping those exploits (or bots if they give enough info to stop a particular bot) but it would be very limited- you could only do this for 'giving up' information we don't already have. Otherwise it would no doubt be exploited.
Unless it's the bot's creator and unless they can provide the source code/actually work with whichever staff members are qualified to tackle the problem, ban 'em. I'm totally fine with white hat hacking/botting as long as the parties concerned are open and clear about their intentions, and keep the source code close to their chests/out of public hands.

If it's an exploit, then I'm fine with excusing people if they report it immediately rather than abusing it.

Edit:

Is that not the point of a beta, regardless of how extended it may be?

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
crenel said:
If it's an exploit, then I'm fine with excusing people if they report it immediately rather than abusing it.

Edit:

Is that not the point of a beta, regardless of how extended it may be?

That is in fact the policy these days:

Rule #6

You may not profit or otherwise gain from abuse of glitches via the game or Playerdex. If you find an exploitable glitch, you MUST report it. Do not inform other players of exploitable glitches.

As long as they report it and do not attempt to take advantage of it they are not penalised.

Shiningamisgirl

-rolss back innn-

Now..For a while I thought my view on ban's and how the were handed out was pretty clear cut, black and white even! I totes had strong feelings on the bans and which type of players were deserving of them!

I have however, recently, realized that there are some flaws in the system. Flaws that I was previously unaware of. Not human errors, so much as the capabilities of this game -since it is still beta- and I've revised some of my own policy..towards those that get banned.

Firstly, I realize there are two TOS descriptions, and one Game Rules section. Both on the main site, and in the Wiki.
1: TOS
2: Wiki ToS
3: Game Rules

The descriptions are fairly clear about many things. Where I feel Clarity lacks is in the 'Types of Bans Handed out'.

Where is the list of bans a person can receive? The repercussions? If there is protocol, and all the staff must follow same exact protocol (depending on their department, powers and position as staff), shouldn't we know what this protocol is?

For instance, it's been made very clear that without Screen Shots, Pokemon ids, or video, a person cannot make a claim of wrong doing against another person. The staff cannot look into it if there is no proof of any actions. Visual or otherwise. Hearsay and 'he said she said' is not allowed here.

I believe there should be an in forums/wiki/main site, list. of types of bans, and that the bans should be described. The punishment should also be described for the offenses. Except for those offenses which are judged on a case by case basis.

Account Bans:
Hacking Bans:
Botting Bans:
IP Bans:
Ban Evasion Bans:
Harassment Bans:
Permanent Bans:
Forced Evolution Bans:
Scammer Bans:
Multi-Clienting Bans:
So on and So on.

People sadly..can be derps. They should know what types of punishments they can receive, as a deterrent. Listing consequences is great! Some ppl don't care about consequences, some people think they can get around the all seeing eyes. Lets work to dispel that sort of illusion of safety, and the idea that those who would do wrong, could outsmart the system. By letting them know, that you already know, and will take these sorts of actions and counteractions against them.

The staff need not list the types of illegal programs used, or show their proof, as it is in our best interest to know that they have the proof and other staff to verify said proof. There is more than one person looking at anything at any given time, and if someone is upset with how things went down, they can request another set of eyes to look it over.

Now I understand it is at each staffs discretion to hand out whatever length or type of ban they feel best suits the crime. Unless..it's not.

Is there a set punishment, for a set crime, and does this punishment adhere to every crime of the same nature? Is there any exception to the rules, any leniency depending on the type and severity of the crime committed?

For example. If I Multi-Client (which is clearly against the rules) But only use this method to trade between myself and my other accounts. Not for the sake of doing anything illegal, but because I want to clear up storage issues, organize my pokemon, get certain avitars to a certain point in the game for my own reasons. What type of reprimand would I receive? If I'm doing nothing illegal with these accounts (which could easily be monitored) Doing nothing other than trading with myself, should I be reprimanded at all?

In the rules it mentions trading over items/using the accounts to obtain items/obtain multiple starters.
Right now, item trading really is out. Directly at least. Now if one of my accounts has a Dragon scale, and another a Seadra, why couldn't I use myself to evolve my own Pokemon? Or say I wanted to clear up storage space, and move my pokemon to an account I would use as storage, because I wanted said pokemon, but also wanted to hunt more. Maybe I want all my shiny pokemon pretty in one place, and my derp pokes pretty in another.

What, in fact, is the purpose of allowing multiple accounts to exist on this game under the same email? Is it so that players can get a fresh start if they screw up and get banned? Or was there another intention to it originally?

The client is of course the issue in this, and the playerdex, which will be here eventually! (Dont rush, we love you guys!) Until then however, there is no way to trade pokes over to accounts. Unless of course you use a third party, which is even worse in my opinion. It risks getting scammed, transferring pokemon you didn't know were illegally obtained, etc etc. Yet it is not illegal to use a third party to transfer pokemon across accounts, so long as both of your accounts are not on and playing at the same time. This sadly is a dangerous affair. Trusting in a third party, or offering help to someone who asks for a transfer, as you never know what your getting into.

I feel there needs to be standards set, and standards shown. Inflexible standards for some offenses, and more flexible standards for others. Some things need to be judged on a case by case basis, others, not so much.

IP Bans: If 10 ppl are sharing the same IP and one of them does something so terribly illegal that it requires an IP ban, are all accounts on said IP automatically banned? Even if each account is owned by a separate human, and none were in league with the original offender, or accomplices to the acts or crimes committed? Would a person, by default of having the same IP, if innocent, automatically suffer the same fate as the guilty?

Pokemon Exchanges:
Does having a banned accounts Pokemon, a friends, whom you did not know was committing crimes, automatically make you an accomplice to said crimes? It's like buying a stolen care, and then ending up in trouble for it, because you didn't know the guy who sold/traded it to you, had stolen it in the first place. What if the car was yours, said guy used it in a robbery, would you then be unable to retrieve it? (Of course..these aren't cars were talking about, their pixels, pokemon pixels..Either its a lesson in 'trust no one and nothing', or a lesson in, depend on the staff to return to you whats yours. Naturally there's the need to provide proof that said thing was yours, but how much proof should be needed? An id, A screen shot and an ID? A voice recording and video and multiple messages and all trade records?)

What about all those daycare's who end up with Pokemon from banned owners? Because said owner sent the Pokemon over to be taken care of, and got banned during the care process, and the daycare naturally, was not paid for services rendered. Which many of them get to keep said pokes because the owner was banned, and they didn't get paid, the poke is now the consolation, and now officially their property.

Harassment Bans: I noticed that..and this is the rule, and therefor everyone should be careful about what they say (Plus its a kids site and the rules are very clear on all things pertaining to this!) But! Screen Shots, are key, sometimes they seem the perfect tool, but other times...

I believe that if a screen shot is taken of someone harassing another player, the full screen shot of the harassment needs to be shown. Not just cut out sections of a conversation, or parts of a whole. For all one knows, the reason the reaction was garnered (though really when you get mad enough to do those sorts of things, you should just log off) was because the player was initially provoked, but did not feel the need to screen shot the provocation. Therefor the provoker, being more clever in that moment, has the proof, and the upper hand, and can get the player a slap on the wrist...ban..etc..Regardless of how things went down. (Though again, it shouldn't ever get to that point.)