Skip the Surfboard, and make it not essential.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I vote we open the Train to the Route near the E4 after completing a Region.

Allowing players to skip the currently "essential" surfboard could encourage them to at least complete all the gyms. They'd easily be able to afford it after we all know they're gonna fail all 4 tries due to one reason or another. Maybe English isn't their 1st language, so they don't understand the questions properly, maybe they're a child who couldn't possibly stand a chance solving a logic puzzle, or maybe they're just too impatient and don't realize the consequences of rushing it.

They'll definitely get it later. And definitely get a Bike later too. There's no reason not to do this.

thunderclap

Youngster
I'd be all for this, except that a train directly to Route 23 would also allow people to skip the entire Elite 4 Quest, which is fast becoming an iconic and memorable part of PWO, and I'm sure wasn't easy to make. All those caves, rock sliding puzzles, Mew, masterball, etc, should be experienced IMO.

However, the Wiki article "Elite 4 Quest" should maybe be edited to hint that it's possible to purchase Rock Smash from other players. The Machamp part of the quest could be reframed as more of an endgame thing if you want to buy Rock Smash TMs to sell for profit. I'd say it's definitely the tedious part of the Elite 4 - people travel all the way to Reception Gate just to learn they have to turn around and start a whole big new unrelated thing. It has some useful teaching benefit (trading, happiness) but so does learning to buy TMs on Playerdex (transferring funds etc). @AsianKid

Also still a big fan of @Jobey 's Trade Evo NPC idea. It seems like everything needs an empty trade to evolve, and there aren't enough players around to help. It's always the same selfless people sacrificing themselves to help (admittedly not usually me).. but we shouldn't want to constantly frustrate and inconvenience those few generous caring souls remaining. With a Trade Evo NPC, people who miss the hints about Rock Smash at least wouldn't have to wait around for a trade.

Some additional hints about the Surfboard (using caution and a paper/pen), and alternate ways to acquire the Rock Smash TM could probably be added in-game to benefit those who talk with NPCs and pay attention..

Last edited:

Isguros

Youngster
Matthew will show up once you talk to the Strength rocks, so it only requires you to have Rock Smash to get him to teach you Strength.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
I vote we open the Train to the Route near the E4 after completing a Region.

Allowing players to skip the currently "essential" surfboard could encourage them to at least complete all the gyms. They'd easily be able to afford it after we all know they're gonna fail all 4 tries due to one reason or another. Maybe English isn't their 1st language, so they don't understand the questions properly, maybe they're a child who couldn't possibly stand a chance solving a logic puzzle, or maybe they're just too impatient and don't realize the consequences of rushing it.

They'll definitely get it later. And definitely get a Bike later too. There's no reason not to do this.
Yeah, always felt the surfboard should be more like the idea of the bike, it should be a convenience and not a requirement.