Shane's Departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad30

Youngster
As someone who has been both apart of staff recently and as a by standard in this whole fiasco going to give my 2 cents worth.

This situation was handled poorly by both sides. I am sure everyone can agree with that. Miscommunication is at the top of this list, but perhaps more importantly was the lack of professionalism. The staff of PWO has had a history of being very unprofessional at times, myself included, and part of the issue the current staff seemed to have with Shane was his history of being unprofessional being reinforced in their minds by recent events. This lead to them being unprofessional in return, some apparently more than others, towards Shane in return.

Unfortunately PWO is not in a position to succeed at this front. PWO staff has no trained manager, no professionally trained leaders, in fact no one really to understand what is needed beyond the obvious for a group of employees to work together well, let alone remotely. This is not a knock on them as this can't be helped and if anyone believes it is hasn't been exposed to the corporate world. If anyone is to blame for this it's the... OWNERS, who are the ones that are supposed to be responsible for having the right staff in place, and not just for technical skills.

For reasons mentioned above Shane as an owner does have the right to place staff as he sees fit, but do remember even in the real world owners decisions can be overruled by employees mainly board members, if they see the owners decision goes against what they believe is to be the best interest of the company. This also seemed to have been the case with them demoting the new admin. So at the end was in the right and wrong here? Truth be told I do not know. What I do know both sides handled this poorly as no communication was ever done.

I am going to defend shane and say the staff blatantly failed to try to work with him as creobis said. While I was staff I can attest to the fact if you make the effort to work with shane, he will make equal effort to work with you and be very reasonable, open to help, and willing to listen to about anything you say.

I am going to defend the staff by saying if any person believes them to be lazy, as a former admin I will deny those allegations and say they provide so much value that players simply never are exposed to. Likewise because of the small size of the staff, projects become bottled neck and must rely on a single person doing their job with no back up for that person. So if that single person has other duties to respond to projects are put on hold and as players you assume it's the fault of the entire staff for things not getting done when it could very well be because of a single person.

Arnie

@Nemo <3 but sadly it wont happen

As for this whole mess there are wrongs and rights from both sides. i spoke to Shane nearly every other day suggesting thingsto add (just a few that made it in was the ability to add music to any map, Png gaphics support, infinite animations). i wasnt around when **** hit the fan with Bis's GM account last year but if it wasnt for him most of the time i wouldnt have even been a staff member in the first place. I never questioned Shanes (or Biss) work ethic as they both were good at what they do. Maybe he should have told current staff he was gonna promote someone to help out before he did...i dunno im no Captain Hindsight, either way things could have been handled better.

Just as a note Shane wont be coming back i tried pursuading him a couple of days ago.

Sanven

I Just wanna say that, I was around in Bis era, and i think Bis was like an active, and performing his duties very well...!!! I dont know about his communications with other staffs, but he was dedicated to his work..!!!
not ignorant like current staff, except some..!!!!!!
I, now a days never see Thugie updates, never Jinji updates, never Teck updates, never LunaticJames(though very old active player), and now Luminance is too out of sight, some Bluerise updates as ever(atleast he is working regularly but slowly), other staff work in starting but later they become ignorant, n when some does good n daily a lot of updates, they all came back made him go away.!!!! and I know all these staff who are complaining now will soon disappear again.
Don't tell me you have real life too, Shane too had real life. but he was dedicated.

Guys I believe now there should be regular public voting by all players of PWO to pick staff members for GM, ADM, and CG...!!!
Shane was like a boss of company, and what he said or done is the final thing.
other staff and players i dont think even had time to say anything, players even praised Bis for his return as staff, so you cant say all staff and players was against him, only Bluerise alone came withint 5 mins and demoted him. All conversations were later, and those conversations may be baised due to being against Shane.

Imagine youself staff, you created a company with hardworks n it ran more than 1000 days, but later new staff came and don't like you and change your decisions make you feel low powered like you are nothing just like a peon of that company... and then made you leave your own company due to frustation?? How would you feel...!!!
MISCOMMUNICATION...!!!!! when shane tried to communicate as told by Bis, you all ignored him, how can that be miscommunication from both sides.
Your ego n all, made this all happened, but do ever think of humanity guys..!!!

Well I would say now, about public elections to chose staff except DEVs bcoz they need talent n knowledge, and no other staff can demote other staff without permission from all public, if majority says to demote then only you can demote.
All those eligible candidates can give their name for staff..!!!
and public can see their work in forums, their nature and all, and according to it they can vote.

Candidates for CG,GM and ADM can be made Apprentice on demand and by permission of staff and their work will be seen by PWO players//!!! and after that they can partiicpate in elections.!!
i think this is the best way, DEMOCRACY..!!! not Autocracy like current staff system.
I mean from list of apprentice they can be elected for CGs, from list of CGs to GMs and from GMs to ADMs

and please don't take my post as offence, its just my views...

Jhaxion

The one thing I can say for sure is that pwo never ceases to amaze me. Communication is key in a working environment believe me i would know. I'd like to here Xanatus speak on the matter to get his take on all of this. I understand rules are rules, but are Xan and Shane not the owners? This baffles me how people lower on the totem poll can talk poorly to someone who is primarily responsible for them being here(other than Kyro). I couldnt imagine being blatantly disrespectful to my boss and keeping my job. At this point it's really childish and I'm not going to choose sides and pick who's at fault, all I know is that progress was being made 200% times fast when Shane return. Sad thing is I think we all expect development will be coming to a screeching halt now. Slow and steady almost never wins the race when it comes to mmo development,but I guess its fine since they can just raise token store shiny chances to keep the idiots(i mean audience)who don't know any better intrigued. R.I.P Shane.

Sanven

I.Am said:
So. From what i understand :

Shane's fault :

1. Battle/PVP with players.
2. Logged on two clients at the same time
3. Hired former staff member to became Admin without informing any staff.

2. he logged on two clients at a same time, to check his new clients on mobile, He is a Developer, so need to test all this. you can restrict a developer to test like those.
So thats obviously not his fault.

1. And as a old player I remember a year or 2 or 3 ago, Staff do battle with player PvP, even Official Tournament involved Staff Players, so now when he returned back he did same, so whats wrong in it? There's no rule written about this? So it isn't a fault again.

3. Yeah this is fault, because he should atleast have told everyone that its his decision, then whether they ignored him or responded to him, but should had told every staff first.

Many players know Shane very well, but new staff don't know him, and due to their ego n pride not even tried to know or contact him, all staff being biased..!!!
Someone come and see this matter with equal eyes, you'll see Shane wasn't wrong, though his activities may look wrong to you, but change your sight of vision, then look at this matter :)

I.Am

Sanven said:
I.Am said:
So. From what i understand :

Shane's fault :

1. Battle/PVP with players.
2. Logged on two clients at the same time
3. Hired former staff member to became Admin without informing any staff.

2. he logged on two clients at a same time, to check his new clients on mobile, He is a Developer, so need to test all this. you can restrict a developer to test like those.
So thats obviously not his fault.

1. And as a old player I remember a year or 2 or 3 ago, Staff do battle with player PvP, even Official Tournament involved Staff Players, so now when he returned back he did same, so whats wrong in it? There's no rule written about this? So it isn't a fault again.

3. Yeah this is fault, because he should atleast have told everyone that its his decision, then whether they ignored him or responded to him, but should had told every staff first.

Yes i read the whole thing. What i mean by 'Shane's fault' is through PWO's staff perspective and policy.

ChaoticMantis

staff creating update logs isn't a required thing, when I was a scripter I didn't post update logs of my work because it was usually something meaningless like "added correct grammar and punctuation to Hitchhiker X on Route Y" "messed around with scripting code and figured out how to make Blah blah blah do such and such". it was typically stuff nobody in their right mind would care about or they didn't need to know since it was practically my experimentation with the code to figure out neat functions.

Sanven said:
Guys I believe now there should be regular public voting by all players of PWO to pick staff members for GM, ADM, and CG...!!!
Shane was like a boss of company, and what he said or done is the final thing.

Sorry, but this will never happen as its not the player's choice in who becomes staff. New staff are "elected" by current staff members and they take a vote on it with the rest of staff.
They pick based on skills, knowledge or the tasks the person will need to accomplish and how well they can be done. I understand that you are simply trying to help offer ideas to improve the staff and staff not keep you in the dark, but as a former staff member myself, allowing players to choose who become staff is an awful idea. That being said, allowing the playerbase to choose if a CG gets "promoted" to GM or not isn't that bad of an idea. In fact I think that would be a good idea. Players see CGs ingame and helping out and then after so long we could hold a sort of anonymous voting topic to promote CGs to GM when we need new GMs. players can vote on who they think would be the best candidate and the staff can see the input and go from there. That part of your suggestion is a good idea, but letting players pick for other staff positions is not. I'm saying this because the roles such as Mapper, Musician, and Scripter don't go based on how well liked they are by players, it's how good they are at their job. Those staff positions don't even technically need to login to the game to do their work.

Sanven said:
Well I would say now, about public elections to chose staff except DEVs bcoz they need talent n knowledge, and no other staff can demote other staff without permission from all public, if majority says to demote then only you can demote.

Again, Demoting staff without the players permission is also a terrible idea.
Just imagine this for me please; A charismatic staff member, liked by every player, yet not doing their job properly. a second staff member who doesn't interact well with players but does his job perfectly and even picks up slack from charismatic staff not doing his job. One is simply dead weight and clearly needs to be demoted but if we let the players decide who stayed and who left they'd pick the charismatic one because they like him more than the one who doesnt like to interact with players but does his job properly. I agree that as staff they shouldn't keep players in the dark all the time, but as a former staff member I know that a lot of the time players think theyre being kept in the dark its either the case of "there's actually nothing going on. we're not currently doing any updates at this time.", "we're working on an update, but players can't know because its going to be a surprise update/event.", or "we can't figure out how to do this task but dont want to say so as the players will lash out at us claiming that we dont do our job properly when we're working our butts off to bring them a fun MMO without being paid to do it."

as for my input on the current situation involving shane and the staff? when i was staff (for about three years or so) Shane was absent a lot. He didn't communicate well with us when he was around and when he did communicate with staff it was only with a select few (Bluerise, Jinji, etc. so basically only Admin or Dev rank) and some of us were in the mindset taht he considered staff that weren't Admin/Dev rank to be "lower" and not worth his time. but at the same time the other staff themselves were usually in the mindset of a highschool clique. certain people in staff would buddy up with other staff and basically only work with them unless they absolutely without a doubt needed someone else to do a task. i know it was like this because a lot of the time i was like that myself just like other staff were. i also had god awful public relationship skills and treated a lot of players like crap simply because i didnt like people. getting off-topic here... anyways, it's both parties faults that this happened and knowing the staff they're going to improve their communication skills a lot and as a result of that the players will be much better informed of whats going on. as long as its not a secret that players cant know :p.

ChaoticMantis

Sanven said:
And as a old player I remember a year or 2 or 3 ago, Staff do battle with player PvP, even Official Tournament involved Staff Players, so now when he returned back he did same, so whats wrong in it? There's no rule written about this? So it isn't a fault again.

Staff redid the policies about a year ago that restricted staff from battling players unless in a formal tournament event and they weren't allowed to use staff only pokemon.
the reason they cant battle is because they have access to legendaries and the like that players cant have and giving the players the legendary pokemon pokedex data in a staff vs player battle is now against the policies.

spyeye

What confuses me about all this is why the staff have basically chased out Shane? It seems to me if he is a co-owner with Xan (who never seems to be available when he's needed!) and progresses the game as quickly as he seems to have you would do your best to keep him in, no?! This whole situation is ridiculous and as others have stated is basically born out of ego's, Personally I'm pretty disappointed with the staff about this whole situation just because it clearly HAS damaged the game and seems it could have easily been avoided!

Teesel

I don't really understand why Admins had more rights than Devs... Ok, it was right situation when Shane and Xan were inactive, but when Shane has come back, it is logical that he is the main captain and commander. Of course Admins could propose some solutions, but shouldn't dictate them. The currently communication in the staff is really bad...

ChaoticMantis

spyeye said:
What confuses me about all this is why the staff have basically chased out Shane? It seems to me if he is a co-owner with Xan (who never seems to be available when he's needed!) and progresses the game as quickly as he seems to have you would do your best to keep him in, no?! This whole situation is ridiculous and as others have stated is basically born out of ego's, Personally I'm pretty disappointed with the staff about this whole situation just because it clearly HAS damaged the game and seems it could have easily been avoided!

they didn't chase him out. i understand it seems that way because he just up and left, but he did this all the time back in the day. although that was mainly due to his IRL commitments. but this time he left because after they demoted the person he made admin he got upset and said they were all against him when they werent. i know how the staff operate and as cliquey as they were and probably still are they wouldnt have chased him out. they miscommunicated on both sides and then shane ended up getting upset and leaving. thats all that happened. stop immediately blaming the staff when its both side's fault.

Teesel said:
I don't really understand why Admins had more rights than Devs... Ok, it was right situation when Shane and Xan were inactive, but when Shane has come back, it is logical that he is the main captain and commander. Of course Admins could propose some solutions, but shouldn't dictate them. The currently communication in the staff is really bad...

they have equal rights. Admins and Devs have the exact same rights as far as I know. we've already acknowledged the fact that their communication sucks.

madbull

ChaoticMantis said:
they didn't chase him out. i understand it seems that way because he just up and left, but he did this all the time back in the day. although that was mainly due to his IRL commitments. but this time he left because after they demoted the person he made admin he got upset and said they were all against him when they werent. i know how the staff operate and as cliquey as they were and probably still are they wouldnt have chased him out. they miscommunicated on both sides and then shane ended up getting upset and leaving. thats all that happened. stop immediately blaming the staff when its both side's fault.

RULE #1: Dont trust everything you've been told.
This is the reason we recieved and it feels like a post to minimalize the damage so we will accept Shane his leaving.
I don't think we know all ins and outs about his leaving, and in my opinion: it doesn't matter at all!

What does matter:
We did not hear anything about a person who is going to takeover Shane his part on this project.
In case no one will takeover his job this will happen: annoyed/bored players => complaining players => players mass quiting => no more donations => end of PWO.
I hope PWO understand this fact and will do there best avoid this, sadly i didn't hear anything about a promising future for the PWO players.

:-\

ChaoticMantis

madbull said:
ChaoticMantis said:

This is the reason we recieved and it feels like a post to minimalize the damage so we will accept Shane his leaving.
I don't think we know all ins and outs about his leaving, and in my opinion: it doesn't matter at all!

What does matter:
We did not hear anything about a person who is going to takeover Shane his part on this project.
In case no one will takeover his job this will happen: annoyed/bored players => complaining players => players mass quiting => no more donations => end of PWO.
I hope PWO understand this fact and will do there best avoid this, sadly i didn't hear anything about a promising future for the PWO players.

do you just not read things? go read all my posts. i was ON STAFF for THREE YEARS. i know exactly how they work. i had staff tell me exactly what happened themselves. more than one told me the whole story. one was an admin.

spyeye

ChaoticMantis said:
madbull said:
ChaoticMantis said:

What does matter:

do you just not read things? go read all my posts. i was ON STAFF for THREE YEARS. i know exactly how they work. i had staff tell me exactly what happened themselves. more than one told me the whole story. one was an admin.

You had staff tell you? So, one side of the argument...You say don't immediately blame the staff so clearly you didn't read my post, I blame this entire situation on ego's, on both sides, but you clearly just blame Shane and are just going to stand up for the staff as if they're not at fault so this entire conversation seems pointless really! I just hope they have the sense to fix things before they get even worse and frankly I think that's all any of us can hope!

ChaoticMantis

spyeye said:
You had staff tell you? So, one side of the argument...You say don't immediately blame the staff so clearly you didn't read my post, I blame this entire situation on ego's, on both sides, but you clearly just blame Shane and are just going to stand up for the staff as if they're not at fault so this entire conversation seems pointless really! I just hope they have the sense to fix things before they get even worse and frankly I think that's all any of us can hope!

again, do you players just not read the whole posts? because if you took 5 minutes to read my very first post and another one of my posts i clearly stated it was both of their faults.
and i was referring to you acting like they chased him out with torches and pitchforks. they didnt "chase him out" they didnt "make him leave". that's what i was saying. make sense now?

also i apologize for sounding like an Ass, but i've had zero sleep and when people seem to not understand simple things i get incredibly frustrated at everyone.

madbull

ChaoticMantis said:
madbull said:
ChaoticMantis said:

What does matter:

Rule #2: Hear the story from 2 sides before choosing a side.

I do read, and i run a site with a staff myself so i know exactly how things works.
As staff you aren't here to tell the truth but to help te game evolve into a better game.
If that is meaning keeping small but really important details away so the game wont get harmed, so be it.
In case you aren't agree with this it is prolly a good thing you aren't there anymore.

Anyway iam a programmer myself so i can imagine how much time Shane spended into evolving this game.
And again that leaves us to the most important question, who is going to takeover his job and keeps this game making progress?

ps. you know some player got muted for repeating uppercase characters? C:)

ChaoticMantis

madbull said:
Rule #2: Hear the story from 2 sides before choosing a side.

I do read, and i run a site with a staff myself so i know exactly how things works.
As staff you aren't here to tell the truth but to help te game evolve into a better game.
If that is meaning keeping small but really important details away so the game wont get harmed, so be it.
In case you aren't agree with this it is prolly a good thing you aren't there anymore.

Anyway iam a programmer myself so i can imagine how much time Shane spended into evolving this game.
And again that leaves us to the most important question, who is going to takeover his job and keeps this game making progress?

ps. you know some player got muted for repeating uppercase characters? C:)

i'm also a programmer so i also understand Shane's burden he had while working with the game, but the fact of the matter is that it is both sides fault for having god-awful communication.
and i do agree that you shouldnt tell every little detail to players. on certain things. like for example, when we had the C&D letter from nintendo and we had downtime for like 5 or 6 months we basically told players that nintendo was shutting down a ton of other pokemon mmos and we got a warning. we didnt tell them exactly what happened, just the jist. however, in a situation like this where they're trying to explain things like this then it should be in their best interest to tell all the facts. lay them out on the table and be like "this happened and caused this. we screwed up. we're working on bettering the situation and not letting this happen again.
and like i said in my other post above this one, i apologize for reacting like a jerk, just lack of sleep and people who act like they cant understand simple things being explained right in front of them drives me insane.

kjata30

Staff:

I played through this game about a year ago. I found this to be highly entertaining until looking to battle competitively, where archaic "rules" prevented players from using moves that actually worked in battle simply "because." It was that, along with the complete lack of active development, that led me to abandon the game.

By chance, I happened to head back to the site a few days ago. I have been following this predicament from information released by both sides and what I have to say is this: are you serious? I have never witnessed such a childlike approach to development and game support in any game that I have ever played. Regardless as to whether or not you own the IP, you are selling a product. That product depends on active, ongoing, professional development and support. PWO has failed miserably to deliver on both accounts, tying developers' hands behind their backs and taking a frankly belligerent stance with your own players.

I work in a real development studio. Do you know what happens in the real world when you find a bug in your game? You fix it immediately! You don't promise your users you'll get around to it and leave them hanging for months (years!) before even taking a look at it. This product is going to fail, and it's not because your users don't like the product. It's because something better is going to come along and replace you. And frankly, you haven't been setting the bar very high with actions like this.

So, I say this to you on behalf of the users that are active in your community, those that love the game and those they have met while playing: knock this **** off. Clean house, hire professionals, and deliver results, or I can guarantee you that someone else will.

-kjata

pkorex

Everybody is smart to judge, and for me it seems pointless because the damage is done, Shane is gone and wont come back.
So for us to pick a side on a destroyed matter is a waste of time, lets try to enjoy the game as it is now, but i thought that it will be improved allot as it was with Shane around.
I hope for the future of this game to be great, and as it seems this topic is going to have allot of replies...

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
I respect your words guys, but let me clear some stuff that doesn't makes much sence to me:

'' This led Shane to believe that the Staff to Player PvP restriction was a direct attempt by staff to hinder him from making updates; in response, he promoted a former staff member to Admin in order to better the current staff situation. ''

This is more than obvious, how was he supposed to test for new updates? A completely absurd and unnecesary change you made there, instead of giving him a hand, you tried to cut him a hand, without consulting him or getting an answer BEFORE making your change and there are LOTS of ways to communicate, as you've said in your post. Can you see a bit the situation here ? Think about it.
Also, whats the problem if a staff member decides to battle players for fun ? Wins abuse? Rep? Indeed. Everyone did it exept for a few.

'' As this Admin was a very controversial choice both for current staff and players, Shane’s decision was immediately reversed and his new Admin demoted soon after. Shane then closed PWO until further notice.''

Hmm a contradictory action to me. First of all, Shane is co-owner, enough to think about. Basically... Bluerise demoted Shane's Admin before making a pool with the rest of the staff, Im right ? Which means that he made a desition without consulting aswell. Was Shane's desition vs Bluerise's desition, which makes things equal (without considering that Shane is/was co-owner). How it looks? This looks as an over-reaction to me.
Also, why you think the community is against the admin that Shane promoted ? Being against him may show some immaturity in the counterpart.

Bis_Eastwood said:
However the truth was, Shane was enlisted in the Australian Army. As soon as he got out, he came directly to PWO and tried to help. Instead he was met with disrespect, coldness, and just felt alienated. No one wanted to help him. Probably due to bias. People who had never even spoke to him, had nothing but bad things to say about him.

This is the truth, I remember when I had Shane on my old facebook, we had a few conversations and he told me that he was going to return to pwo after finishing his personal stuff.

Bis_Eastwood said:
That former staff member was literally Admin for 5 minutes, before Bluerise came online and said LOLNOPE, and kick/demoted him. There wasn't any "player and staff controversy". It was staff and former staff bias. And immediately after said demotion, Bluerise took a pot shot at Shane which greatly offended him.

This remarks with diff words what I've said, thats how it sounds and apparently thats how it was, so there you have something to think and its not 1 thing, this action leads to more than 1 thing to think about.

Shane shouldn't have left the game so quickly, we have to act like adults and this was not the case. I hope he returns at some point and the doors are open for him.

Pangaea said:
Stank said:
nemo55 said:
this guy is really cool, reasonable guy.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHHAHAA...no

Well this was unnecessary. I agree with Nemo, I don't know Bis's past situations, but people do change, and maybe if everyone got to know him they'd agree with Nemo.

Thanks Stank for putting yourself as example to my comment, and an example to Bis comment too. I apreciate your help. Best of the luck for you.

JD001 said:
Why can't we all be friends?

Buuuutttt yeah, how about staff sends an apology letter to Shane and explain their reasoning for what they did and what they weren't aware of? Maybe Creobis can write it all pretty-like. That wouldn't be a bad idea, now would it. It would also perhaps start communication between staff and Shane? Easy solution if pride doesn't get in the way, right?

Jd gave you an amazing idea, this may be a wonderfull solution ! Absolutely agree!

My recomendation, with all the respect of the world:
- New staff members (in addition to the current ones or a change between one and other...)

I've given an example about why I don't agree with the current staff group (most) in my post on Shane's topic.
Thanks for giving your word...

Status
Not open for further replies.