Shane's Departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Hello everyone,
As you may be aware, Shane has recently left this project. For those of you who don't know, Shane is the developer of the current PWO client.

In recent months, Shane had returned after a long absense. He immediately picked up from where he left off, quickly updating the game in ways that other staff previously could not. This was a good thing for everyone, and the game was able to progress much faster. However, there were issues involving communication with the rest of the staff.

When Shane returned, he came back to a fairly different staff system. The staff currently is a much more democratic affair, with all members communicating together regularly—not just working independently with minimal communication with other staff groups, which was previously the case. We have many ways to contact each other and for the most part talk on a daily basis, especially through live-chat group communication (something that wasn't the norm in the past), and one of our goals in improving communication was to allow the team as a whole the chance to voice their concerns about upcoming releases.

For Shane's part, he stated that he preferred to work independently from other staff, and this worked well for him, as we can see from the results of his updates. He also communicated with staff, but—apart from his forums posts—it was usually on a one-on-one basis. Therefore, while Shane spoke to many of us individually, there was no successful attempt from either side to incorporate Shane into the new staff system, and information would become easily scattered. This is where the small problems began to arise, and we as a staff group failed to correct this once it was apparent that we needed to take the initiative.

In spite of this, progress was going smoothly. Staff continued to work on their own updates which had been in progress before Shane returned. Shane himself continued to work, with some releases available for staff input and some without. In the meantime, he would also ask staff for suggestions about his new client build.

However, soon after this, a totally unrelated incident occurred involving staff policy; we responded to the issue by deciding to make it impossible for staff to battle players normally. Almost immediately after, Shane found the new code and unbeknownst to us, it turned out that it hindered him. We had made the change without even realizing it would even effect him, and as a result we failed to inform him. In hindsight, we should have done so regardless of if we expected it to affect him or not.

As a note, staff has had very little contact with Shane directly after this point, so saying too much here about Shane's reasons would only be conjecture. However, we do know that Shane believed all staff were against him, though we do not know where these allegations originated from. This led Shane to believe that the Staff to Player PvP restriction was a direct attempt by staff to hinder him from making updates; in response, he promoted a former staff member to Admin in order to better the current staff situation.

As this Admin was a very controversial choice both for current staff and players, Shane’s decision was immediately reversed and his new Admin demoted soon after. Shane then closed PWO until further notice.

What resulted was a public breakdown of relations. Xanatus brought PWO back online and discussed the situation with staff, trying to understand where everything had derailed. Once staff was able to piece together what had happened, we were able to find where our fault was in all of this - that we should have been more encouraging toward Shane in joining group discussion and that we should have established a reliable, low-maintenance team-based communication route early on. During a meeting with Xanatus, we informed him that we would welcome Shane back and fully include him in our team’s business, as we should have done from the start. Sadly this declaration may have come too late, and it is unfortunate for all of PWO that we had to discover our mistakes in this way.

We hope those reading understand that any actions we have taken that may have hurt others were not intentional and most of the time we were not even aware of them. We also hope that over time there may be forgiveness between everyone involved, and ask that everyone be given time to heal and learn from what has transpired.

Regardless of what the future brings, those of us who remain will be continuing to supply a wider variety of content updates thanks entirely to Shane, who gave us the means to do so. We hope for these to have a positive, lasting effect for the game.

On a final note, we wish Shane success with his future and other projects, and we apologise to him both for the misunderstandings and how greatly the situation has escalated. He is a highly skilled and intuitive programmer and developer—easily among the best we have ever had to work with—and will go quite far, very easily.

We know this was a long read. Thank you for your time and understanding; we hope to see you around in-game.

Belemuel

Extremely off topic but...... you're wall of texts never get old.
But seriously though nice announcement of the current situation, well worded (y).

Pastor-Of-Muppets

Yes, well worded. Its a shame things turned out the way they did but thank you for informing everyone.

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
Just would like to clarify a few things, since Shane doesn't have a forum account. There wasn't just "miscommunication", he also expressed to me that he's had multiple occasions where Pansy vehemently berated him for removing the "battle code", as it Shane parlayed to me that it also seem to restrict staff from battling staff as well. So he wouldn't be able to test out his updates to the battle system. He was also yelled at by I believe it was pansy, for having 2 accounts on at one time... But that was to test out syncing, and his mobile client. Just a few examples of staff enforcing their policy on Shane unnecessarily.

He reached out to several staff he told me, including Thugie and Bluerise. Thugie ignored his skype message, and flat out quit. While when he PM'd bluerise to read his thread discussing changes and to add ideas, he said he'd read it and never seemed to talk to him about it again. There didn't seem to be miscommunication, there just seemed to be flat out contempt, and disrespect. That is how Shane felt.

He expressed to me, that only ONE staff member was open to working with him and giving him ideas, and that was Brennan. He said no one else even offered to help, or give suggestions. He felt the other staff had some sort of ill will towards him as he wasn't here for a duration, and was actually demoted by Bluerise several times.

However the truth was, Shane was enlisted in the Australian Army. As soon as he got out, he came directly to PWO and tried to help. Instead he was met with disrespect, coldness, and just felt alienated. No one wanted to help him. Probably due to bias. People who had never even spoke to him, had nothing but bad things to say about him.

And about that "former staff being promoted to Admin"... Shane turned to, and promoted that former staff member(who was tenured from 2009-2013/14, and one of the more involved staff members), as the current PWO staff let the ranks fall completely with what seems like no force in recruiting (mostly an Admins job), and also to help bridge communications between Shane and the PWO staff.

That former staff member was literally Admin for 5 minutes, before Bluerise came online and said LOLNOPE, and kick/demoted him. There wasn't any "player and staff controversy". It was staff and former staff bias. And immediately after said demotion, Bluerise took a pot shot at Shane which greatly offended him.

Take from this post what you will, just wanted to set the record straight on a few things, and would appreciate if I dont get attacked again by a bunch of jackals with vendettas like in the last thread.

The-Predator

Youngster
Even though I read this all! I cannot understand how a co-owner of the game needs "permission" to do some decisions on his own when no staff where taking him seriously, I personally noted some tweets feeling some rage against Shane, so you cannot say , you werent against him, even some former staff members have shown their bad thinking about Shane. on the other side he decided to bring back to the staff an old GM because he needed someone to give some feedback to the game and give support as no one was listening to him, Shane was working incredible faster I dont want to make current staff members look bad but seriously, you guys are to slow for him.

About the "controversial choice", there were no complains from players, hell no, they even welcomed Bis back! Bluerise came and demoted Bis_Eastwood within 5 minutes lol, he cant be in contact with him but is aware of who promotes immediately?, If Shane promoted Bis to admin is because he knows him well, he was trying to revive this project making the best for it, I know staff members dont get paid for their work here, but seriously if u dont have time just let someone that do have the time handle the game! Wanting to see Shane back so bad, his new client was looking very promising and he only worked on it for 3 days. No more words for this, but we do need him back

GawertyXL

From what I can see, what has been stated is partly truth, but I will admit. I am sure that some of the staff members of PWO held some contempt for Shane, whether anyone did or did not though, isn't of my concern. He came back to make updates for PWO, That's more than a lot of people ever hoped for, considering his stretch of disappearing completely for three years. We know he was in the army, but it does seem incredibly likely that there had to be a point in which he could of updated some staff here, just to assure everyone he wasn't gone completely, but again. I don't know if he did or not.

As it stands, Both sides did something wrong, while it does seem like PWOs current staff could have done better, there is really nothing that can be done about it now, I do hope Shane comes back, and I do hope things pick up where they left off, but if he doesn't, PWO will still stand, and that's all I can ask for.

Dovee

Youngster
PWO is such a mess, glad I am gone.
6L3z2T1.gif

Pangaea

I have to agree with KP on this one, a co-owner needs permission to do something to improve the game? I just think that's ridiculous. The way I see it is that Shane is the owner of the game along with Xan, all of the staff under the owner(s) goes by Shane and Xan. What Shane and Xan says, it goes. No matter what.
Now, I'm not saying that the staff apart from Shane is all at fault. Shane AND the staff should have communicated better/more. Literally the only way for a team to work is by communication, along with respect for each other. Shane could have easily demoted all of the current staff and made new staff members, but he didn't because a certain someone you all are /against/ told him not to do that.
There is a point in time where in a team/staff someone needs to be known as the leader, and no, it isn't the Admins, it's the owners.

Each and every one of the players knows that the game will come to stand still. Each one of us can see how lazy the current staff is. Shanes return was probably the best thing that has happened to this game, updates left and right, etc. All I see right now is just a bunch of lost and confused staff members, I wouldn't even call them staff members, more of a big glob of mess up.

You guys really need to step it up and find new staff members, which if I recall correctly is why Bis_Eastwood was promoted to Admin in the first place, for him and Shane to get PWO back on track.

nemo55

Well isn't this wall of text all pampered up nicely...just like the biased North American News...that always leaves them as the good guys. Let me tell you right now. You guys are not the good guys.

Fact of the matter is Shane was limited to what he can do, he was always held back by people lower then him. And in reality this game is so far back in progress that it is in dire need of Shane's presence and you guys know it. All staffs including Bluerise and Jinji need to acknowledge that Shane is above you guys. He is Xanatus status. Let him do his thing and develop, you guys are in charge of content...I agree communication could have been better. However initiatives were taken by bringing in Bis_Eastwood by Shane with the intent of building a better communication system. Shane is the Boss! Hello! He promoted the guy! Accept it and grow up! Put the grudge behind you! Or else, it can cause you this ADM position which evidently you love so much! Yes, I'm speaking to Bluerise!

ALSO

I want to say, I was not there as a player during the Bis_Eastwood era. Maybe near his end but I vaguely remember this. However, I have gotten to know him more on a personal level in Blaze XAT chat and I just want to say, this guy is really cool, reasonable guy. He is manly about his decisions and doesn't second guess himself. Reason Shane brought along Bis is because Bis acknowledges that PWO needs Shane. Bis respects Shane unlike the rest of the staff which hold this deep grudge in themselves against Shane for leaving them for joining the military and such.

Remember, Bis was added for the sole purpose of better communication between Shane and other staffs and to recruit new staffs as current staff was dissipating. You have people like Arnie, Reiatsu and Pangaea. Willing to help, great content makers! You gonna milk them until they get bored and leave??? Hurry up and take action, see if this is a serious candidate and RECRUIT. Hence bringing Bis. Recruiting purposes...and he cares about PWO, he really does...

Gahhh I think you guys screwed up, might want to consider demoting yourselves for the betterment of the game, retire your jerseys. Time for some new blood, no more old politics! REVOLUTION!

BestInTheWorld

Well , now i can say that generally we have a great staff , they were brave enough and they had the guts to tell the truth and to admit their unintentional mistakes , what's upon them and what's in their favor , after all they know so well that upgrading this game is in their favor for sure

also and to be honest Shane made a mistake when he did quit that fast on everybody without trying so hard to stay in this business as a part from the world of pokemon , but maybe he had enough pressure and his own good reasons

so , what i have to say is that i hope the best for everybody who's involved in this situation , and i hope they could easily solve this by finding the best solutions and why not by making sacrifices for this great game and for all the players inside this great world , so that everybody can be happy

i really don't like the very fast updates like all of you but , i had to tell the truth and what's right for everybody , also i would like the very fast updates if they involving Hoenn rejon or the legendary pokemons for sure xD

so this game will go on anyway , great events , good battles system , awesome graphics and more , it have to

Thanks for reading everybody and have a great time always

GawertyXL

nemo55 said:
Well isn't this wall of text all pampered up nicely...just like the biased North American News...that always leaves them as the good guys. Let me tell you right now. You guys are not the good guys.

Fact of the matter is Shane was limited to what he can do, he was always held back by people lower then him. And in reality this game is so far back in progress that it is in dire need of Shane's presence and you guys know it. All staffs including Bluerise and Jinji need to acknowledge that Shane is above you guys. He is Xanatus status. Let him do his thing and develop, you guys are in charge of content...I agree communication could have been better. However initiatives were taken by bringing in Bis_Eastwood by Shane with the intent of building a better communication system. Shane is the Boss! Hello! He promoted the guy! Accept it and grow up! Put the grudge behind you! Or else, it can cause you this ADM position which evidently you love so much! Yes, I'm speaking to Bluerise!

ALSO

I want to say, I was not there as a player during the Bis_Eastwood era. Maybe near his end but I vaguely remember this. However, I have gotten to know him more on a personal level in Blaze XAT chat and I just want to say, this guy is really cool, reasonable guy. He is manly about his decisions and doesn't second guess himself. Reason Shane brought along Bis is because Bis acknowledges that PWO needs Shane. Bis respects Shane unlike the rest of the staff which hold this deep grudge in themselves against Shane for leaving them for joining the military and such.

Also, Bis was added with the intent of better communication between Shane and other Staffs and to recruit new staffs as current staff was dissipating. You have people like Arnie, Reiatsu and Pangaea. Willing to help, great content makers! You gonna milk them until they get bored and leave??? Hurry up and take action, see if this is a serious candidate and RECRUIT. Hence bringing Bis. Recruiting purposes...and he cares about PWO, he really does...

Gahhh I think you guys screwed up, might want to consider demoting yourselves for the betterment of the game, retire your jerseys. Time for some new blood, no more old politics! REVOLUTION!

That won't solve anything, even though we may have lost shane for good, the current PWO staff and the past staff from when shane wasn't here have all contributed in a way too the betterment of the game, it may not be what you guys liked or wanted, but yes, they have done things, and for you to tell them to retire "their Jerseys" is wrong. A lot of the PWO staff now do care about the game, otherwise, they wouldn't be staff. take that with a little more than a grain of salt. Yeah I do think this could have gone better, but people do make mistakes, even if this was a really big one, PWO will recover.

Pangaea

Stank said:
nemo55 said:
this guy is really cool, reasonable guy.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHHAHAA...no

Well this was unnecessary. I agree with Nemo, I don't know Bis's past situations, but people do change, and maybe if everyone got to know him they'd agree with Nemo.

JD001

Youngster
Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Why can't we all be friends?

Buuuutttt yeah, how about staff sends an apology letter to Shane and explain their reasoning for what they did and what they weren't aware of? Maybe Creobis can write it all pretty-like. That wouldn't be a bad idea, now would it. It would also perhaps start communication between staff and Shane? Easy solution if pride doesn't get in the way, right?

Dovee

Youngster
I just want to point out a few things. When I was staff and the few times I was able to ask Shane for help, he helped out but was busy with his Army duties. When he came to help he helped out huge. Thats awesome and great. In the past Shane had issues with following rules and he would give in easy to players. That makes him gullible, nice, or not caring. Could be a combo of those. He was always a nice person when I would chat with him on MSN and there was times where I could tell he really cared about PWO but there was times he couldnt care less about it. I wont deny he brought some of the best aspects to pwo and its a shame he wasnt fully committed the entire time I was staff but the fact of the matter is PWO staff has always had huge issues. By huge I mean HUGE. I cant really comment on the current situation with Shane since I was long gone by then. It seems like he helped a ton since he came back. I havent heard anything negative about him like I used to when he would cave into players.

TLDR Shane has a ton of great qualities and in the past he had some big issues but did any of that actually even carry over. From what I saw he wasnt favoring girls that would PM him pix.
PWO coulda definitely used his help.

pocaliga

the important question is ...

the game will continue to progress in pvp as coming in the last weeks?

or be paralyzed again?

shane could do it, now that it was, anyone can do it?

GawertyXL

K look, PVP is not the most important thing about PWO, other things are more important, and I wish people would see that sometimes.

I.Am

So. From what i understand :

PWO's staff fault :

1. Isolated Shane. ( Geeze, why you guys didnt help him? )
2. Too much restriction/policy for DEV position. ( Shane is a god not normal staff. Jk. Lol. )

Shane's fault :

1. Battle/PVP with players.
2. Logged on two clients at the same time
3. Hired former staff member to became Admin without informing any staff.

So i dont know. Its kinda sad actually. If you guys didnt know besides e-mail, Shane also got Facebook account, so y'all ( PWO team ) can contact him there. Like or not PWO need Shane or the update progression will 400% or 1000% slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.