Secret Base Mapping Contest. [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
RE: Secret Base Mapping Contest.

Sweetboi said:
Awesome. Not sure if what I'm creating is a secret base  (hopefully close enough) but if the staff decided they like it would it be possible  that it would be used in a future map event? I'd hate to ruin my surprise but I think I can post up a spoiler just for feedback just to see if can continue with what I'm doing. 

The idea seems fine for this event if a little ambitious- it will be interesting to see how it turns out. You can edit your spoilers out of the post now if you don't want too many other players to see them- up to you.

fableboy

do we have to do it all on one map of 100x100 or we combine many maps to make one mini region like maps

Pippin

shiny-nouman said:
do we have to do it all on one map of 100x100 or we combine many maps to make one mini region like maps

One main map, please. If you have buildings, the interiors are on a separate map.
It doesn't have to be 100x100 either, can be smaller if you want to.

Klay

Youngster

Participation sent (sorry Pippin for all those messages, can't make a preview without it sends by itself ;-; )

Pippin

Klay said:
Participation sent (sorry Pippin for all those messages, can't make a preview without it sends by itself ;-; )

No problem, I put it all together.  ;)

Tsubaru

I have no idea how to design the inside of a building (Pokecenter/Pokemart),
the wiki only gives rare information about mapping and the guides on the forum i found are useless since the images are no longer available.

How do i place npcs on the map or add weather effects?
Can i cut my map in 2 areas so i can place 2 different pokemon spawns for eg. north and south of the map?
I dont think its possible because we dont have 2 different spawn types on one map ingame.
But iam not a mapper so i dont know and thats why i ask =)

Klay

Youngster

"I dont think its possible because we dont have 2 different spawn types on one map ingame."

Not agree. Burnt Tower/Splitting River Reserve are maps on which spawns depends where you exactly are (different Hitmons for SRR and no Weezing/Magmar in the first floor of Burnt Tower, even if all Hitmons/Weezing and Magmar are /listed).
But i guess you can do 2 maps which are 100/50, so in the end the big "main map" will be 100/100.

For the mapping of pokecenter/pokemart, check how it looks like ingame and just do the same thing ;) (the hard part is to find the right tiles)

For NPCs and weathers, I'm not sure you can add them with the map editor, it's maybe in the scripting part. Just write in the description of the map that there's this NPC here and there, and that it's a rainy place (or else).

Pippin

We have default maps for Pokecenters and Marts, no need to map them.

Klay is right about the rest: NPCs and weather effects aren't done by the mapper. Also, coordinate-based spawns are possible but slightly tricky, if my info is correct. :)

Sweetboi

Youngster

Who should we send the files too and is it just screenshots or the files we used. I'm making map interiors for some houses and also the scenario and quest process as well as dialogue that's why im asking. If i have multiple files should i just make a zip. folder?

Pippin

Sweetboi said:
Who should we send the files too and is it just screenshots or the files we used. I'm making map interiors for some houses and also the scenario and quest process as well as dialogue that's why im asking. If i have multiple files should i just make a zip. folder?

HitmonFonty or me, please, as is detailed in this topic's info post. Do include both screenshots and files - just bundle everything up in a nice tidy little zip folder so it's organised for us. Thank you.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator

Just to note holodeck maps won't have active Pokecenters or Pokemarts, nor would a base be secret if it had an official mart or pc in it. :)

Sweetboi

Youngster

HitmonFonty said:
Just to note holodeck maps won't have active Pokecenters or Pokemarts, nor would a base be secret if it had an official mart or pc in it. :)

What if the mart and pokemon centre had a different appearance on the outside. For example you disguised a pokemon centre as a cave or instead  a healing station or a healing NPC?

Klay

Youngster

If the appearance is different inside too, you need to make the map. And if there's a healing npc, precise it (and place it with something like Paint.NET if you can).

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net

Sweetboi said:
HitmonFonty said:

What if the mart and pokemon centre had a different appearance on the outside. For example you disguised a pokemon centre as a cave or instead  a healing station or a healing NPC?

That'd be quite clever. I have heard you can actually put healers in your Secret Bases in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire...

Remember though, the theme is a base, not a whole town ;)

Sweetboi

Youngster

Jinji said:
Sweetboi said:
HitmonFonty said:

That'd be quite clever. I have heard you can actually put healers in your Secret Bases in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire...

Remember though, the theme is a base, not a whole town ;)

I may of accidently made a town, but to be on the safe side im making another hidden spot on my town-like secret base. Alpha/Omega you could put npcs you could train against inside your base, also they come with special abilities like finding you treasure, finding you items, training your pokemon. The bed is what you use to heal inside the base. Also theres a switch that removes the lvl 50 gap to the actual level itself. I feel like i could put that to use.

Sweetboi

Youngster

Done with my map(s), I just need to do the written stuff. Should I write down the objects/environment the players interact with?

Pippin

Sweetboi said:
Done with my map(s), I just need to do the written stuff. Should I write down the objects/environment the players interact with?

If there's something important to you/ your map/ your theme, sure, go wild. It's not necessarily a requirement to this contest, but can add some flavour if you want it to. Sprinkles on the cake so to say. ;)

Sweetboi

Youngster

how much time do i have left, im in australia so i'm just confirming

Status
Not open for further replies.