Secret Base Mapping Contest. [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Thanks all those who entered for putting so much time and energy into your maps. :) Contest is now closed and we are busy judging all the entries and will let you know when that is done.

Good luck to all!

-PWO Staff.

Hello People Of PWO!

I'm glad to see everybody enjoying their time on here as much as I am! As you all may be aware, I love when people involve themselves with things they love and work hard towards. With that being said, we're unveiling the Secret Base Mapping Event!

What We're Looking For:

***Small-ish Maps - 100x100 in size MAXIMUM
***An enclosed area with one entry. (The entry will be invisible from the outside but clearly visible from within the map itself)
For Example:
*Islands
*Caves
*Enclosed Valleys

***If your map contains Buildings you should include the maps for the interior of those as well.

***If the map is above ground it must contain some grass for spawns! (Can't have a map with no Pokemon)

***Make a quest to find the hidden entrance with clues that are given in the public maps!
*Consider where you would put this map in PWO and make it coincide with the surrounding terrain. (Don't make an Island Map and put it in Ecruteak City)

Participation:

All you have to do to participate is make your own map with our PWO Map Editor! It is available right Here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8p25aoth4wmvc4m/Tiled+-+PWO+Edition+1.1.3.rar

It is advised that you use these Guides:

http://pwo-wiki.info/index.php?title=Mapping_Tutorials

After checking that out you should either be more prepared or refreshed on mapping.

You MUST include:

***A screenshot of your map in a Spoiler
***A download link for your map.
(Save your map. Upload it to any file-sharing client or website. Give the direct link as said above.)
***Your story/quest. This can be as simple or as detailed as you wish- it is just to give the map a purpose, a reason for being.

Submitting Your Map(s):

***Send your map in a Forum Private Message to HitmonFonty or Pippin.

Due Date: Midnight 30th of September UTC.

Rewards:
The winner of this event/contest will have their map displayed on the Holodeck in the Pewter City Museum. They will also get to choose from a list of Pokemon for a short swarm/spawn event on the winning map!

Remember:
---Be Original!
---This is for you so don't copy others' work and show us what you've got!

Have Fun!

dio_brando CG app

Klay

Youngster
RE: Secret Base Mapping Contest.

Just a question: when we create the map, do we have to care about the 14/15 blocks on the edges of the map to keep a clean map (like in the spoiler)?
Or does it not count in the 100x100 blocks?

16090707345816763114477695.png

Pippin

Klay said:
Just a question: when we create the map, do we have to care about the 14/15 blocks on the edges of the map to keep a clean map (like in the spoiler)?

Yes, please include the buffer zone that makes sure you don't see black when walking to a map's edge within the size limit. 
If you're looking for more info, check out this link - especially part 4 about map borders. The images in the thread are broken, since it is quite old, but those tips are timeless. :)

Isguros

Youngster

Pippin said:
Klay said:

Yes, please include the buffer zone that makes sure you don't see black when walking to a map's edge within the size limit. 
If you're looking for more info, check out this link - especially part 4 about map borders. The images in the thread are broken, since it is quite old, but those tips are timeless. :)

I believe what Klay's trying to ask is: Should the actualy map be closer to 70x70 because you have to use some tiles as borders on all sides, or can you go over the 100x100 in that case?

Klay

Youngster

Ok, thanks for the link :)

Edit: actually, I made a 15(left/right)-13(up/down) borders on a .paint. And with the paint bucket tool, it's easy to make the edges :)

Pippin

Isguros said:
I believe what Klay's trying to ask is: Should the actualy map be closer to 70x70 because you have to use some tiles as borders on all sides, or can you go over the 100x100 in that case?

That was what I was trying to answer, too. Sorry if I haven't made myself clear: size limit is 100x100 which includes the borders, no going over please.

StormSpirit

Hi! How many days we have to do it? By the way, nice idea!

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net

Is it correct to call it a "Secret" Base if we already know it'll be found somewhere in the Holodeck? Just a thought...

Pippin

You are going to have about 3 weeks to hand in your entry. We're announcing the exact end date today.

Good luck to everyone participating!  :)

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator

First post has now been updated with the due date for all submissions.

Due Date Midnight 30th of September UTC.

Last day of the month and just over 3 weeks from today. There's plenty of time so give us the best work you can, we are all looking forward to seeing what you come up with this time around. :)

Sweetboi

Youngster

So we're designing a secret base. Does it matter if I'm using an older Tiled program from one or two years ago? Should i put players that have not much progress in consideration? is there an example i could get an idea from? will quest ideas and maps be chosen separately? Sorry for many questions but i want to give this a go.

Sweetboi

Youngster

also is it 100x100 pixels or tiles?

Pippin

Sweetboi said:
So we're designing a secret base. Does it matter if I'm using an older Tiled program from one or two years ago? Should i put players that have not much progress in consideration? is there an example i could get an idea from? will quest ideas and maps be chosen separately? Sorry for many questions but i want to give this a go.

It might be a good idea to download the current available version that Dio/ Fonty linked in the first post. 
It's up to you if you want to consider how far players have progressed into the game (surfboard for example), but don't worry about people reaching the map since it'll be on display in Pewter City Museum. There's going to be a Johto teleporter too.
Your map is definitely the main work. If you provide clues/ a quest as specified in the requirements, they'll factor in as well, but they won't be judged completely apart from each other and there won't be different winners for quest and map. It's one package.
I'm not sure where you could look for inspiration/ examples, maybe someone else has an idea for you. I don't know if there are any secret bases in the original games (sorry.)
And the size limit is 100x100 in tiles. Hope I could help you out and if there are any more questions, ask away!

Sweetboi

Youngster

Pippin said:
Sweetboi said:

It might be a good idea to download the current available version that Dio/ Fonty linked in the first post. 
It's up to you if you want to consider how far players have progressed into the game (surfboard for example), but don't worry about people reaching the map since it'll be on display in Pewter City Museum. There's going to be a Johto teleporter too.
Your map is definitely the main work. If you provide clues/ a quest as specified in the requirements, they'll factor in as well, but they won't be judged completely apart from each other and there won't be different winners for quest and map. It's one package.
I'm not sure where you could look for inspiration/ examples, maybe someone else has an idea for you. I don't know if there are any secret bases in the original games (sorry.)
And the size limit is 100x100 in tiles. Hope I could help you out and if there are any more questions, ask away!
The hoenn versions have the secret bases. How will this work exactly. Do we hide a secret base in one of the regions like how Klay's spoiler has an arrow pointing somewhere in dark cave, Do we just make a secret base or do we make a map for the holodeck with the secret base hidden in the playermade map?

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator

Sweetboi said:
The hoenn versions have the secret bases. How will this work exactly. Do we hide a secret base in one of the regions like how Klay's spoiler has an arrow pointing somewhere in dark cave, Do we just make a secret base or do we make a map for the holodeck with the secret base hidden in the playermade map?

The idea is simply to make your map of a secret base. For the rest you can just write down how and where the base would be accessed from the outside, or as you said you can place another screenshot showing the exact spot. The map is the most important thing, the rest is window dressing as they say- there's no need to make a big deal of it. Just imagine where you'd put your secret base in the game and include that detail in your entry.

On the holodeck the place you choose to be the entry/exit of your secret base will be where the machine teleports the players during the mini event.

Sweetboi

Youngster

HitmonFonty said:
Sweetboi said:

The idea is simply to make your map of a secret base. For the rest you can just write down how and where the base would be accessed from the outside, or as you said you can place another screenshot showing the exact spot. The map is the most important thing, the rest is window dressing as they say- there's no need to make a big deal of it. Just imagine where you'd put your secret base in the game and include that detail in your entry.

On the holodeck the place you choose to be the entry/exit of your secret base will be where the machine teleports the players during the mini event.

So I just mainly design the secret base then I can just choose any map on the holodeck to place the base in?

Pippin

Sweetboi said:
HitmonFonty said:
Sweetboi said:

So I just mainly design the secret base then I can just choose any map on the holodeck to place the base in?

Can be a holodeck map, I guess. We were mainly thinking of any place in Kanto or Johto though since the holodecks are only displays/ exhibits themselves.

Sweetboi

Youngster

Pippin said:
Sweetboi said:
HitmonFonty said:
Sweetboi said:

Can be a holodeck map, I guess. We were mainly thinking of any place in Kanto or Johto though since the holodecks are only displays/ exhibits themselves.
That's the main thing I wanted to know. In that case I might plan an area by exploring through the game, actually I know the perfect place in Johto I'm going to use. Hope i can complete my map idea in time, I think players would love the idea I have. Is there a way to test our own map or will staff do that for us and would they make any fixes if there are minor errors like a trainer walking underneath a waterfall or walking through trees.

Pippin

Sweetboi said:
Pippin said:
Sweetboi said:
HitmonFonty said:
Sweetboi said:

That's the main thing I wanted to know. In that case I might plan an area by exploring through the game, actually I know the perfect place in Johto I'm going to use. Hope i can complete my map idea in time, I think players would love the idea I have. Is there a way to test our own map or will staff do that for us and would they make any fixes if there are minor errors like a trainer walking underneath a waterfall or walking through trees.

Great.
Unfortunately there's no way to test your own map, but rest assured we're going to work with the winning entry to make sure any errors are fixed. :)

Sweetboi

Youngster

Pippin said:
Sweetboi said:
Pippin said:
Sweetboi said:
HitmonFonty said:
Sweetboi said:

Great.
Unfortunately there's no way to test your own map, but rest assured we're going to work with the winning entry to make sure any errors are fixed. :)

Awesome. Not sure if what I'm creating is a secret base  (hopefully close enough) but if the staff decided they like it would it be possible  that it would be used in a future map event? I'd hate to ruin my surprise but I think I can post up a spoiler just for feedback just to see if can continue with what I'm doing. 
 [attachment=4731]

I'm pretty much basing the map around this:
 I thought about making the stump by the river a pokemon mart, have npcs dressed in green, the house closest to the ramp a pokemon centre. I just think I'm turning it into more of a map than a secret base. [attachment=4732]  

Status
Not open for further replies.