PWO On Mac? Oh Yes...

M

Mojoworkn

I was experiencing the same issue as Terr0r was, but was able to find a fix for it. I decided I would share it with everyone!

The simple fix is to open up "Winetricks" (this should be downloaded with the link in the original post) and type in the search bar "vb6run" without the quotation marks. Hit apply. This should download the missing DLL that is required to play the game via Wine. You should be able to start up the application using Wine after using this method.

Enjoy! ^.^

risefromruins

Youngster
That is great you got it to work, I never had to do that with mine so I had no idea.  I'll add that to the original post and credit you.

M

Mojoworkn

I wish I could say I completely fixed it, but it seems I have spoken too soon. Now I am getting this error message:

Tk88u.png

Any ideas on a fix?

M

MacaroniMan

Hm? What about PWO on me? =P

Thanks for taking the time to explain this, I'd try it just to test myself to see if I could, but our Mac has OSx Tiger, so that basically means it can't run 95% of any program you can find -_-"  I know at least one person who pretty much quit PWO because he could only figure it out on a normal Windows PC, so this guide may save lives in the future!... But couldn't you also just use the popular Bootcamp instead of this whine bottle?

risefromruins

Youngster
Boot camp would be a perfect subsititute, but I am unable to get bootcamp running on my mac so this is a viable alternative.

Saric

Youngster
Offtopic, but nice pin :p .
Can tell this is going to be useful to a lot of people.

ash.catchem

Youngster
I used same wine bottler in linux, but there's seems to be an error like 000000 error or some file missing.

risefromruins

Youngster
You need to make sure not to move the downloaded content from the destination you set it to download.  For example: If you set it's location to (On my computer)  Robert Katz -> Wine Files -> Drive C then you must leave the entire folder in that exact spot or else numerous errors will come up.

That is only my guess to what is going wrong, I know nothing about linux so this is my only guess.

T

thewakka

I use Parallels to play PWO while I use OS X on my Mac.

Works like a charm!  :p

risefromruins

Youngster
thewakka said:
I use Parallels to play PWO while I use OS X on my Mac.

Works like a charm!  :p

Also a very good method of playing PWO on mac.  But I am unable to get parallels or boot camp to work on my computer so this is my solution.

K

kadaro

Hi. I'm afraid it doesn't work for me:( when I run the PWO.exe with Wine nothing happens. I've done the thing with the winetricks but it still doesn't work. I checked the uninstall file and it works fine, so i don't get it.

risefromruins

Youngster
If X11 is opening, try waiting anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes to see if it will open up.  Mine used to take a minute or so to load up, but now it is up and running in about 15-20 seconds.

P

perri

Parallels Desktop, the way to go! Took me 30 minutes to install windows side by side with Lion.

Screenshot2012-01-14at62225PM.png

risefromruins

Youngster
I've said it many times in this thread, Parallels and Boot Camp are both safer and easier ways to get PWO to run on a Mac. 

That being said, I use this method because I am unable to get either of those programs to work on my computer for whatever reason.

C

Crazy-Al

http://pokemon-world-online.net/forum/i ... 616.0.html
Replying from other thread,

I still cant get it to run, using Winebottler and installing works like a charm as always, but right now it does nada... X11 opens up, does the works, I used winetricks to get vb6run and applied, all gave me a message, it should work, but fact is it does nothing.

I'm still wondering how you did it mate, because I'm stuck...

risefromruins

Youngster

The way I made it work was simple. I kept trying new things.  I don't even remember EXACTLY what I did, I just know these were the programs that made it work in the end.  Only thing I can recommend is keep playing around with it and eventually something will happen, after all that's how it worked for me.