Pokemon IV Calculator

stoopkid1

Website
www.mdloring.com
I've noticed that players are constantly asking what a poke is worth and if it's good or bad, and after a suggestion from DemonVale, I put together a quick little IV Calculator. All you do is enter in the 6 IV categories and the form will spit out the Pokes "ranking" on a scale (Bad, Average, Good, Above Avg, Good, Epic).

http://www.pwoguildleague.com

The calculator is on the homepage (and in the sidebar on the left). Please let me know what you think, and how it could be improved (and if the ranking scale needs some work). It didn't take too long to put together, but I thought this could be something really useful for players, especially new ones who don't know much about ranking a Poke. When I first started playing again I was constantly asking the Chat questions like these.

here's an example...
[attachment=3191]

Attachments

• ivcalc.png
    ivcalc.png
    210.7 KB · Views: 614

Kandan7

you know you have a command in game to do that by typing /iv [pokemonposition] in the chat right?
example: /iv 6 (if the pokemon i want is my 6 pokemon counting from left to right)

stoopkid1

Website
www.mdloring.com
Kandan7 said:
you know you have a command in game to do that by typing /iv [pokemonposition] in the chat right?
example: /iv 6 (if the pokemon i want is my 6 pokemon counting from left to right)

that command isn't a calculator...you would take the commands result and plug it into the calculator i wrote.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
it's hard to rate every pokemons worth based on one platform, as every pokemon needs a different set of stats to be useful. Take kingdra for example, if it's all 28iv it's not really capable as it will cause other people to bring kingdra on you with higher speed. The calculator would tell you it's amazing and you'd have the wrong idea.

stoopkid1

Website
www.mdloring.com
i totally understand that it varies pokemon to pokemon....but using your example, if Kingdra has MAXSPD but is weak/average in every other category, does that still make it a "good" pokemon? (the total IV would be 100 out of a possible 186).

i'd love to be able to add a dropdown where you select the Pokemon, but i'd need a list of the strength/weaknesses for each -- being able to add that would 100% make the calculator more valid.

Merse

Youngster
Still, if a Kingdra has max DEF, SDEF and HP but horrible HP, ATK and SPD, your calculator would say it's a very good Pokemon, while it's utterly useless as all the important stats are bad. The Pokemon with the same total IV number could be insanely epic or horribly bad, determining on the distribution of the IVs.
Or take two shinys, let's say Dragonite. One has max SPD and max ATK, the rest are 28. The other has 29 on all IVs. According to your calculator they worth exactly the same as they both have a total of 174 IVs. But I can assure you, that the first Drago will beat the second, or in short: it's a better Pokemon!
Simply checking the total of the IVs is just not enough to determine how good a Pokemon is.

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
[glow=red]Really many players, especially beginners are constantly asking for price tables or something like that. I agree with what most said. A platform can generalize the IVs and make a not so good pokémon as a good one. Taking a Snorlax as example; if it has all IVs more than 25 and IV 1 of ATK your calculator still would say it's a good pokémon but it's useless for team and has a down price. Analising pokémons as average, good, etc, is something that players will have to make for themself. I think for the calculator be more accurate you would need to implement a system to calculate only the specific IVs for each pokémon (I think it's hard to make it). For example:

-Kingdra: HP, DEF, SPATK, SPDEF and SPD
-Chansey: HP, SPATK, SPDEF and SPD
-Dragonite: All IVs
-Salamence: HP, ATK, DEF, SPDEF, SPD (Considering some TMs are missing.)

Maybe Stats of determinate pokémons are needed for some players and are considered useless for a few others. As SPD for Snorlax, Steelix and others...
[/glow]

stoopkid1

Website
www.mdloring.com
definitely appreciate all the feedback. you've all 100% "filled in the blanks" for what i need to add next. i came across a site that lists the "top 100" for each of the 6 IV categories. for the IVs that are "important" or "boost" a pokemon (like MAXSPD for Kingdra), what kind of weight should that hold on boost its worth (+5, +10, etc..)?

writing the functionality for the calculator is pretty easy, i just really need to know how much a strength IV should effect the rating.

as far as examples with 2 of the same poke, but 1 is +1 in each category than the other (or the IVs that matter)....both are still good, and the calculator WOULD tell you that (there's a total IV output as well). the stars are just a simple graphical representation.

thanks again for all the input!

Merse

Youngster
stoopkid1 said:
writing the functionality for the calculator is pretty easy, i just really need to know how much a strength IV should effect the rating.

as far as examples with 2 of the same poke, but 1 is +1 in each category than the other (or the IVs that matter)....both are still good, and the calculator WOULD tell you that (there's a total IV output as well). the stars are just a simple graphical representation.
And that is exactly what cannot be written down by a few simple digits, and thus why is an objective and generalizing IV calculator is pointless.
Take this example: For Steelix speed doesn't matter much, so +1 SPD doesn't really improves the value of Steelix as it will most likely be slower than its opponent. However, for medium speed Pokemon, let's say Charizard (I didn't check if it's actually medium speed), +1 SPD could man that it can be faster against 80% of the likely opponents, while without that +1 SPD it could be slower in 50% of the cases. In this case, SPD is crucial for Charizard.
See, every stat, every IV varies from Pokemon to Pokemon and even things like the moveset or the opposing Pokemon have an influence on the importance of certain stats and the limit where is a Pokemon is still viable.
The best thing about Pokemon is that you can't generalize things, every Poke is just too different. That's why the only objective thing you can tell is that "this Pokemon has 13-22-31-31-24-31 IVs", nothing more. How much it worths? How good it is in battle? What are the strategies you can use with it? Those are totally different questions and although the IVs help a lot to determine them, the answer will be different for every Pokemon.