Pokemon Gyms

Br4ci

Gym Hour is a problem !!

Hello, I found totally inadequate that we have to wait 24 hour to be able to redo the GYM, can you change that and make 12 hour (pokemon hour)?

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Re: Gym Hour is a problem !!

At the moment, we can only set based on days.

Br4ci

a okay . please change fast

Orean

Website
twitter.com

May I ask what you'd consider as a viable alternative to this, however?

As hinted, days are the lowest time increments that are settable at this present time. While it technically is possible to change this, it would require all-encompassing overhauls of the server (which currently dictates the cooldown times) and the database (which stores the said cooldown times)—it is potentially causing very unstable changes, to reduce the cooldown time, without a long and rigorous rehaul of the server/databasing.

I'm not trying to rule out the possibility of lower-increment time units (lower than days) in the long run, but it's useful to know what players may consider a workable alternative, if it means a more efficient solution can be taken while producing the same desired effect. :)

Example: Allowing one to instantly rechallange a gym leader, in which there is no experience/money gain if they lose, is an alternative that's often raised up.

Nikola

Youngster

Revise time distribution. Random timer for all the gyms, up to 24 hours where guard NPC is telling how much you got left. (make 1st gyms up to 16 hours(random)). Not every leader has the same schedule.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster

Darcia said:
Revise time distribution. Random timer for all the gyms, up to 24 hours where guard NPC is telling how much you got left. (make 1st gyms up to 16 hours(random)). Not every leader has the same schedule.

sounds good

Zorom

Darcia said:

Yup, True that

worfoxx

Hello, I'm worfoxx and im a new member to this Community learning about it from a forum on another game i currently Play. Something about this Childish (Yes yes.. hate me lol) Game keeps drawing me back but on the GBA... Anyways, i have been on here 2 days maybe 3 and i have been intreged with how it is being ran and Programmed. I am not going to sit here and banter what the developers do, but im also not going to sit back and let some of my ideas that i think might help.

My first Suggestion is ~~~ Gyms. I have spoke to a few Staff members on the Game, (rigs being my favorite) and they have explained why you have the 24 hour cool down on the Gym. I made a suggestion to him that instead of there being a 24 hour cool down there be a Fee (increases for each gym stage), such as 5k for Brock. I understand there is a NPC that tells players about the 24 hour cool down but alot of people are not going to start playing and talk to every single npc.

Another suggestion i have for Gyms is make it so players don't earn xp for fights inside a Gym (If the above isn't in place) and make the Leaders and trainers inside able to fight more often. Reason being is this, the POINT of Trainers inside a Gym is to Test a player to see if He/She can even think about taking on the gym leader. If a player goes in and Loses to a trainer with there first Pokemon, Obviously there too low but they wont be able to see when they are ready to face the leader because of a 2 week Cool down. Sure they can take on the gym leader and most likely lose and wait 24 hours. but that Defeats the purpose of fighting those Trainers.

Point is, How can a player test to fight a Gym leader without having to wait 24 hours or 2 weeks? A player shouldn't have to resort to asking other players what to use, what lv i need to be, or how to fight them. Sure it does not hurt to ask and seek help, But some people tend to be independent and do not like to ask such questions or favors.

~~~~~~

On a side note, i would like to say thank you to all the Staff members who help in any way to keeping this game and its accessories online. Alot of players, mostly kids, who play a MMORPG like this don't realise the impact it has on ones life. I know for a fact alot of the staff members have jobs and families outside this game and that forces this game to become Second nature. You spend what time you can on here and some people do not appreciate that. I do. I am no Programmer nor coder of any kind, but i have my share of friends that are coders and programmers and that run games that require extensive coding and much of there time. Yes doing so has it draw backs, i.e people complaining when something does not work right or the sudden shut down or something goes missing. At the same time however it has its proud moments, the moments where you can say you created something that has brought joy to not just yourself but to others. Sure its not like waking up every morning and saving a person but its something that helps you run in the morning. I can tell the Staff on here do not do this to Line there pockets with $100 bills, the shops are cheap and they invite players to donate to help run this server and with as much players on here, i can tell your hoping to increase the community and that is hard without proper advertising and with advertising you need money, which isnt cheap.

I played on a different game and i was a close friend of the owner and i remember him telling me he spent $250 on advertising for the game of i think it was 5 highly known gaming websites.

Just keep doing what you doing and i have no doubt it will become a success. Again, i would just like to state i appreciate what your doing and thank you for taking that extra step and going beyond that.

~~ Kenneth J. Aka Worfoxx

Merse

Youngster
There is no way to code any shorter than 1 day as a cooldown time currently. It's one of the game's limitations.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Thank you for your detailed feedback. The 24-hour cooldown time is an imposition we have wanted to re-examine, in stride for a more well-received (among our playerbase) method of curtailing potential experience abuse, without making disconcerting and off-putting players early on—we're open to suggestions for which types of workarounds/alternatives players would consider optimal.

I would have to ask, however:

Another suggestion i have for Gyms is make it so players don't earn xp for fights inside a Gym (If the above isn't in place) and make the Leaders and trainers inside able to fight more often. Reason being is this, the POINT of Trainers inside a Gym is to Test a player to see if He/She can even think about taking on the gym leader. If a player goes in and Loses to a trainer with there first Pokemon, Obviously there too low but they wont be able to see when they are ready to face the leader because of a 2 week Cool down. Sure they can take on the gym leader and most likely lose and wait 24 hours. but that Defeats the purpose of fighting those Trainers.

If possible, would you prefer that the gym leader does not yield experience if you lose (a suggestion that's been raised up and proposed for a while)? It sounds like your rationale behind delimiting the regular-NPC cooldown times is because they are used as a remote barometer for gauging how well-prepared you are for the gym, but wouldn't challenging the actual gym leader—without any waiting-time penalty to disincentivize you from challenging them—achieve that just as effectively, if not more?

Your suggestion for delimiting the gym-NPC (non-gym-leader NPCs) cooldown times is an intriguing one to consider as well. However, to give some food for thought: in the current form of your suggestion, would you personally consider it worthwhile to not gain any experience from defeating them? Opinions may vary, but judging from my observations, many value the experience gained from gym NPCs, as they consider it among the more prolific experience that's gainable.

Merse

Youngster
I personally think that the XP from the battle with the gym leader worth more than the badge itself. NPC battles help you the most in advancing as they boost the level of your team.
What I could imagine is that gymleaders only wouldn't give XP, the other trainers would. Ine xchange you could rebattle the leader after 4-6-12 hours, but definitely not immediately. Otehrwise you can bully through with your Charmeleon against Brock, and it wouldn't teach you to use your team effectively. This is extremely important in an MMO because in the handhelds you could just level up your favorite Poke and beat everyone with it, but in an MMO there even are NPCs close to the level cap and those strategies won't work on them. Not to mention PVP.

xRizk

Gym Leader Cool Down Times!

The gym leader cool down time is seriously an issue! I understand that without it people will level up too quickly etc.. But waiting 24 hours means we can't do anything but level up on the game, which gets pretty tiring. And for some of us leveling a lvl 20 in a map with lvl 10's is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure loads of people will agree with me that its way too long to wait... I'm not saying remove it completely, that won't work either, but reduce it - or do something about it..

I think that the cool down time for when you lose against a leader should go from something like : 3 hours for the first loss, 12 hours for the next, and 24 hours for the rest. This will at least spare us a chance, specially when its not our fault! I disconnected in a gym leader battle due to electricity going down, and when I came back it turned out I had to wait 24 long hours.. Besides, if people are doing it to boost, I'm pretty sure 3 hours of training is more effective that 1 gym leader battle, and they will only be able to do it one more time during the 3 hours, then wait 12 hours..

What I'm trying to say is: the times are too long for people who are simply trying to play the game. The way I thought of, will help people who need to defeat the gym after losing it to carry on, and won't allow people to take advantage of it..

PLEASE : At least consider it on the next update..

-Rizk ;D

xRizk

Gym Leader Cool Down Time!

Realize I've posted this in the wrong place, not too sure how to delete the other one though.. But here it is:

The gym leader cool down time is seriously an issue! I understand that without it people will level up too quickly etc.. But waiting 24 hours means we can't do anything but level up on the game, which gets pretty tiring. And for some of us leveling a lvl 20 in a map with lvl 10's is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure loads of people will agree with me that its way too long to wait... I'm not saying remove it completely, that won't work either, but reduce it - or do something about it..

I think that the cool down time for when you lose against a leader should go from something like : 3 hours for the first loss, 12 hours for the next, and 24 hours for the rest. This will at least spare us a chance, specially when its not our fault! I disconnected in a gym leader battle due to electricity going down, and when I came back it turned out I had to wait 24 long hours.. Besides, if people are doing it to boost, I'm pretty sure 3 hours of training is more effective that 1 gym leader battle, and they will only be able to do it one more time during the 3 hours, then wait 12 hours..

What I'm trying to say is: the times are too long for people who are simply trying to play the game. The way I thought of, will help people who need to defeat the gym after losing it to carry on, and won't allow people to take advantage of it..

PLEASE : At least consider it on the next update..

-Rizk ;D

Symbiosis

Website
www.facebook.com
Re: Gym Leader Cool Down Time!

While I am not turning your suggestion down or frowning upon it. This is a MMO and like any other MMO it isn't like a game you play on a console or your handhelds. Your not supposed to be able to beat the game in a few weeks time. It's supposed to be time consuming and have a play time that is well enriched, long and fun. While I only ever lost one gym battle the 24 hour wait wasn't that big of a deal to me. I just keep playing all day doing other things such as chatting, or doing quest and ect. Then when I was done playing for the day I went to bed and woke up the next day and did the same thing until the reset. While you statement about "But waiting 24 hours means we can't do anything but level up on the game, which gets pretty tiring. And for some of us leveling a lvl 20 in a map with lvl 10's is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure loads of people will agree with me that its way too long to wait" May be true on how people feel but that's part of the way a MMO is. It is a long grind and while it may be tedious it is just how it is and MMO's aren't for everyone especially if you don't got the time to put into them.

Welcome to the MMO Gaming World and if you have played any MMOs then you should know.

Experience - 7 years Hardcore Gaming World of Warcraft - Raider & PvP

xRizk

Re: Gym Leader Cool Down Time!

Symbiosis said:
While I am not turning your suggestion down or frowning upon it. This is a MMO and like any other MMO it isn't like a game you play on a console or your handhelds. Your not supposed to be able to beat the game in a few weeks time. It's supposed to be time consuming and have a play time that is well enriched, long and fun. While I only ever lost one gym battle the 24 hour wait wasn't that big of a deal to me. I just keep playing all day doing other things such as chatting, or doing quest and ect. Then when I was done playing for the day I went to bed and woke up the next day and did the same thing until the reset. While you statement about "But waiting 24 hours means we can't do anything but level up on the game, which gets pretty tiring. And for some of us leveling a lvl 20 in a map with lvl 10's is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure loads of people will agree with me that its way too long to wait" May be true on how people feel but that's part of the way a MMO is. It is a long grind and while it may be tedious it is just how it is and MMO's aren't for everyone especially if you don't got the time to put into them.

Welcome to the MMO Gaming World and if you have played any MMOs then you should know.

Experience - 7 years Hardcore Gaming World of Warcraft - Raider & PvP
Fair enough, but surely the game should be time consuming in a fun way. I'm not disagreeing with you, I entirely understand where your coming from, but in my opinion there aren't enough things to do whilst waiting. If they are going to make the waiting time for the gym (the only thing we can do before proceeding the game) quite long, then they really should give us more options to do whilst waiting. Yes they do have a few quests, but only like 1 really short quest, a quest which ill complete in 5 minutes.. As I said, and quote 'reduce it - or do something about it..' I'm not insisting in just lowering the times (well I am if that's the only option) but I'm trying to say, the game is pretty much useless without being able to battle the gym. I understand the game is still being worked on etc... But it's a fact that this is crucial in the game, as it's a pretty basic game. I think having more options such as quests and routes to other places would help by giving us something to do while we do wait, because at the moment all we can do is chat and battle weak wild pokemon. Of course I'm not expecting this to be done immediately, but it's just a suggestion of what could be improved in the future.

-Rizk ;D

Pastor-Of-Muppets

Re: Gym Leader Cool Down Times!

Since this topic was merged with a pre-existing suggestion I will be editing my comment.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Merged all the recent posts about gym leader cool down times into one thread.

Merse

Youngster
I think the 24h cooldown time makes the gym battles much more fun than in the handhelds.
1) It makes the battle more exciting. I loved the feeling that I knew this battle was somehow special and not only yet another NPC with a stronger set. I loved that the outcome of this battle will make a true difference in the game.
2) It makes you think. In handhelds you could just force your way and try to beat Brock with Charmander and Pikachu until you suddenly got a lucky set of attacks and you did it. That's not the way of Pokemon, you're supposed to think, analyze the battle and adapt your strategy. Not to force your original idea until you get lucky enough to beat your opponent.
3) It makes you learn a lot. I lost a few gym battles and in the 24 hours period I couldn't think of anything else than my battle. I analyzed my strategy, the Pokemon of my opponent, my mistakes etc. I learned a lot from the lsot gym battles which I wouldn't have if I had a chance to rebattle the gym leader right away.
4) If you don't learn from your mistakes (and you won't if you can just rebattle the leaders) you will have an extremely hard time beating the 16th gym, and many would quit because they would think it's "unbeatable".

komo

24 hours waiting time

Welcome, i just downloaded this game not so long ago and was very joyful with the discovery i made. I played the game for some hours and got to the second badge. I used the same logic as the one i use in every pokemon i played which is "fight him to evaluate the opponent strength and if you lose come back prepared" so i fought him and lost. So i went to fight some pokemon in the grass to gain some levels and after this i went back to the gym and i received this message "This NPC needs time to rest up. It's too soon to fight them again." So i ask in the "Help" chat box how much time it will take before i can fight him again and people answered me 24hours... What a kill joy...

Why you do that? Preventing the players from playing for 24 hours! And it's not like i can do anything else there is not a lot of place to go... I've read some topic about this and apparently it's to keep players from farming gym leaders... Why don't you just make them only beatable once? Or losing to them without consequence but winning leave you with a waiting time? This is completely stopping someone from playing! Every idea could be better than this one...