Petition for Truant on Slaking

Naero

Paramount to the incompatible of the coding sample, as provided by Darcia, is the logical infrastructure of PWO's battle system; it is incomparable to how it's used in the other games. The coding sample must corresponsively interrelate with the rest of the server-coding, and the framework thereof must be in place (which may take a while on its own accord to develop).

The logical infrastructure of the current battle system is, according to full-fledged programmers that have scanned through it, particularly inefficient with its optimization; without more minimalistic optimization, more coding may be required to make comprehensive changes to the server-coding, so it is probably inaccurate to say that it's only 1-minute coding if you're using other, more well-optimized games as a touchstone to project it.

As Fonty said, Bluerise would have the most definitive voice in commenting on its feasibility, but it must be understood that he does not qualify as a full-fledged programmer itself--a quality that likely should be harbored when working on something as intricate as Abilities.

If adding the ability through the architecture of the server-coding is infeasible, one simple stopgap meanwhile would be to hardcode Slaking's moves in the database. By adding an extra database column for moves, and marking somewhere in that column some placeholder variable for Slaking, you could probably use that variable to mark the moves with a "recharge" effect when used by Slaking--similar to what you've seen with moves such as Hyper Beam.

Of course, the server-coding would be optimal as opposed to adding in an extra database column for moves; however, there's limited active programming ability aboard, and some workarounds need to come into play lest holding your breath on something rather pressing.

Nikola

Youngster
Truant Slaking with it's complete moveset can be a real threat. It works the best on switching out and switching in where you can use move such as Giga Impact and Retaliate. Retaliate will deal with 2x power + stab if Pokemon was fainted prior you put Slaking in. It's more about predicting what your opponent will do and what your next Pokemon will be. On tournaments people avoid using Slaking and it's even banned on some together with Wobbuffet. Slaking with truant is normal thing..No one will be hurt by adding it. People were hurt from the beginning when that Pokemon was put in TS without actual ability.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFOjSHarDo8 thats what Slaking is capable of in PWO. I have several videos more where Slaking is taking out 4/5 top tier Pokemon such as Metagross and Salamence.

Arnie

So, instead of adding an ability, the solution is to nerf moves slaking learns right?

Well whoevers bright idea to nerf yawn has ruined a lot of other potential battlers because of a glitched OP poke. ive started reporting people for using slaking because its bug abuse and nothing more. Slowbro, quagsire, Ursaring. all ruined because some joker put yawns acc down to 20 just because slaking learns it. If ur gonna nerf or remove anything how about remove slaking from all accounts?

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
HitmonFonty said:
Slaking has been a top battler on PWO since forever. Truant would make it next to useless would it not? I figured a lot of players would have been upset to see the ability added, which is why I asked for feedback specifically from slaking users- which I seem not to have gotten regardless. Everyone does have a right to their say in this.

However that is not stopping Truant being added. I will remind you all again that we have very few staff on deck that can actually add this ability. In fact after asking around we can change that few to one person. His next tasks- when he can get time away from playerdex issues which are still keeping him busy, password resets etc- he was planning to look into move fixes which have been shelved for months.

So, if it was your choice, would you put slaking's ability fix ahead of move fixes on the agenda? I'm not guaranteeing that it can even be added, we'll just have to wait and see, but if you all want Truant before moves I'll try and make that happen.

It's sad to see your refusal on fixing a problem properly. What's the point in fixing moves if you have no intention to fix the most broken pokemon in the battle system? And by fixing I mean the addition of traunt and not the pseudo patching up that was done in the past regarding move nerfs based on the fact slaking could learn them (as someone pointed out in this topic when yawn was named as an example). Why such stubborness regarding the addressing of this issue? Why hasn't it been fixed in the past (while pwo actually had devs working in the game)? How many years of discussion will there need to be before proper action is taken to handle this issue?

Professor.Oak

Naero said:
If adding the ability through the architecture of the server-coding is infeasible, one simple stopgap meanwhile would be to hardcode Slaking's moves in the database. By adding an extra database column for moves, and marking somewhere in that column some placeholder variable for Slaking, you could probably use that variable to mark the moves with a "recharge" effect when used by Slaking--similar to what you've seen with moves such as Hyper Beam.

Of course, the server-coding would be optimal as opposed to adding in an extra database column for moves; however, there's limited active programming ability aboard, and some workarounds need to come into play lest holding your breath on something rather pressing.

I wonder if its not just possible to add in duplicates of moves learnt by Slacking, (possibly with slight name alterations in the case moves cant have the same name), and have these duplicated moves be learnt by Slacking instead, with the difference being that these duplicates would all have that "recharge" effect/halved damage.

That is in case abilities are truly that far out.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
KaiTheLoneWolf said:
HitmonFonty said:
It's sad to see your refusal on fixing a problem properly. What's the point in fixing moves if you have no intention to fix the most broken pokemon in the battle system? And by fixing I mean the addition of traunt and not the pseudo patching up that was done in the past regarding move nerfs based on the fact slaking could learn them (as someone pointed out in this topic when yawn was named as an example). Why such stubborness regarding the addressing of this issue? Why hasn't it been fixed in the past (while pwo actually had devs working in the game)? How many years of discussion will there need to be before proper action is taken to handle this issue?

There is no refusal to do anything, I have no idea where you're coming from. This is a discussion on what to do about the issue and as far as I can see most would want to see slaking have Truant, which is what I therefore also recommend doing.

As for why it was never done in the past, I have heard that it is actually not possible to do with the current client- as in we can edit the server coding for slaking to skip a turn but the client will ignore it. If that's the case then this should probably all wait for the new client. That isn't a refusal, it's a matter of using our resources on permanent things instead of temporary. In my opinion when things slow down on the password reset/New Playerdex/email issues front Bluerise would be better off spending any spare time looking at perma fixes for moves we've been waiting on than yet another slaking temporary fix.

But again, as I've already said, until Bluerise looks into it nobody has any idea what it will take.

Naero

Professor.Oak said:
Naero said:

I wonder if its not just possible to add in duplicates of moves learnt by Slacking, (possibly with slight name alterations in the case moves cant have the same name), and have these duplicated moves be learnt by Slacking instead, with the difference being that these duplicates would all have that "recharge" effect/halved damage.

That is in case abilities are truly that far out.

That would be doable as well, but adding in an extra database column would likely be better for data-optimization--more minimality with the amount of data that needs to be added.

However, now that I've had confirmation that the coding sample, as posted by Darcia earlier, would logically work in PWO, discussing workarounds is redundant now that any possible need for one is dispelled--even for the short term. One can only hope that the coding sample will seriously be looked into when looking into Truant's implementation. Once that coding sample is added, then it just needs to detect a new status-effect--preferably a newly scripted one--that debilitates Slaking from attack and states that it can't attack.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
Naero said:
However, now that I've had confirmation that the coding sample, as posted by Darcia earlier, would logically work in PWO, discussing workarounds is redundant now that any possible need for one is dispelled--even for the short term. One can only hope that the coding sample will seriously be looked into when looking into Truant's implementation. Once that coding sample is added, then it just needs to detect a new status-effect--preferably a newly scripted one--that debilitates Slaking from attack and states that it can't attack.

...and silence all of a sudden. Interesting there isn't a reaction to this yet, makes me wonder how long until an excuse is brought up...

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
Situations like this is why I was approached to be admin by Shane. The pwo staff cannot think outside the box, and let their limitations be their excuse. Simple solution until PWO stops mooching off shanes intellectual property and makes its own client:

make a function so that slakings moves miss 100% every other turn that it is in play. No client access needed. just a 1+1 function (every turn +1 is when slaking misses its move. may not be exactly how one would do it, but its the concept). if you guys took your heads out of your asses every now and then instead of kissing them, this game would have more features than it currently does.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
And so the hate begins in yet another forum post. There are no excuses here, we just can't fetch when you tell us to.

This issue WILL BE LOOKED INTO when there is time and your thoughts on the issue will be- have been- taken into account. I've already explained in previous posts what we are waiting on. It's not the code- I have little doubt that if it's a 40 second thing as you guys insist it will be as easy as you say it is to be added. It's the time of the person who is doing it to get to it. Right now there are many players every day who cannot even access the game without his help.

How many times do I need to repeat that we heard your thoughts on this and WILL act on them?

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
Considering how that has worked in the past? Quite a few if I must say... or do I have to remind the amount of times solarbeam, echoed voice and last resort had to be addressed in the past before something was done about them?

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
KaiTheLoneWolf said:
Considering how that has worked in the past? Quite a few if I must say... or do I have to remind the amount of times solarbeam, echoed voice and last resort had to be addressed in the past before something was done about them?

Yes, this is exactly the same situation. Teck made a point of coming to IRC and discussing this with players when I informed him they were there to put their reasons to him. He listened and gave a response on the spot- and told them it would still need to wait until he had time to work on moves again and he did follow through on his promise in the timeframe he gave. Civil discussions are always welcome, and we will always do what we can, when we can, if we agree with the reasoning put forward and it is possible/reasonable to do in PWO. That's how it worked back then and that's how it is working now. :)

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
HitmonFonty said:
KaiTheLoneWolf said:

Yes, this is exactly the same situation. Teck made a point of coming to IRC and discussing this with players when I informed him they were there to put their reasons to him. He listened and gave a response on the spot- and told them it would still need to wait until he had time to work on moves again and he did follow through on his promise in the timeframe he gave. Civil discussions are always welcome, and we will always do what we can, when we can, if we agree with the reasoning put forward and it is possible/reasonable to do in PWO. That's how it worked back then and that's how it is working now. :)

EDIT: Reborn has looked into this and has made a Playerdex Suggestion regarding it here:

http://playerdex.pokemon-world-online.n ... hp?Rep=705

You will need to be logged in to see the suggestion, basically at this stage it just says he's looking to add later this week.