Out With The Old

crenel

Youngster
As of this coming Saturday, the 14th of July 2012, I will cease to be an Administrator with Pokemon World Online and will take on a new role instead.

For approximately 23 months I have been an Administrator for this project, and during that time a slew of problems have come up that have crippled my ability to make positive contributions to the game on a consistent basis. In fact, over the past 12 months the biggest contributions I’ve made have been by and large unseen by the outside world -- it can essentially be argued that the only tangible contribution I’ve supplied was the winter festival in December.

Obviously, that isn’t a very active work rate, and obviously, that isn’t reflective of someone who has invested a lot of time into the project. Unfortunately both of those are accurate and factual evaluations of my outward and tangible contributions to the project over the past year. There are reasons that I haven’t been around or working, but if we’re all honest with each other: most of you don’t care and don’t want to read a list of what are basically excuses. Therefore, I’ll keep the explanation short just to sate anyone that might have a mild interest. If you don’t care, then simply skip the next paragraph.

Without going into too much detail: Bank of America attempted to screw my parents over by breaching contracts regarding ownership of their home. As they were in court, they had to store up all payments that would have been made and push them aside until the trial ended, at which point they’d honor all back payments. I had been working roughly 50 hours per week in order to help save up the necessary cash in the event that they lost the court case (they won). Additionally, my grandfather died in April and I ended up in the hospital with severe allergic reactions in May.

My time, thus, was limited, and I was only able to pick up a lighter load. One of the things that I’ve been working on sporadically since March has been a reboot of the Journalist team. The Journalist team holds a place close to my heart, as when I first joined the project in 2008 I was assigned to lead the team. Unfortunately the format I had chosen was that of an admittedly over-ambitious newsletter, and as a result I don’t believe a single issue was ever actually released under my leadership. Since then, all other incarnations of the team have failed primarily due to the fact that my original structure was heavily recycled by each subsequent leader. In fact, the name Passenger Pidgey has been there since I first came up with it in 2008.

Recognizing the multiple past failings of the newsletter or magazine formats in the past, I’ve decided to move in a different direction. A large part of why the newsletter/magazine formats failed is because of the amount of sheer content required in order to fill the pages. The work load, combined with the problem of coordinating a moderately sized team within a short, stressful time frame pretty much slammed the lid on the coffin of each team to attempt it. It didn’t help that by the time the Passenger Pidgey was released, the material was often several weeks out of date or no longer of popular interest.

When you combine all of the negative factors together -- the stressful deadlines, the demanding content quota, the necessity to remain topical and current over the span of a month -- it isn’t difficult to understand that the Journalist team has been fighting a losing battle since the very start. The final nail before the dirt? The Journalist team was -- by necessity -- the hardest working team on the staff, yet had very little to show for it and had very little recognition or respect. When a working environment creates that sort of near-non-existent morale by design, then that is a design that has failed to hit its mark.

I recognize that I haven’t been as active or as much of a contributing factor as I should have been as an Administrator. However, I also am still very interested in doing whatever I can to help this project evolve, adapt, advance and carve its way into the future. It’s because of this that I have decided to willingly step away from the Administrator position. I recognize that in order for the game to continue to advance, the fat needs to be trimmed, and in my current position (due primarily to my year of mostly inactivity) I’m nothing more than fat.

I’m no stranger to accusations regarding my pride or ego, or regarding my constant lust for “power and glory” -- I can assure you that those are nothing more than accusations. I am, first and foremost, dedicated to the greater good of this project, and second dedicated to bringing as good of a product as I possibly can to this community and to those who play games everywhere. My decision to step down is purely business-related; after all, if I would fire someone else with the sort of contributions that I’ve made, why would I provide myself any privilege or quarter?

Due to the fact that I have in fact been working on reviving the Journalist team, and due to the fact that I’m no longer an Administrator, I’ve been granted permission from the staff to completely take over the Journalist team. This means that starting on the 14th I will be wearing a different name tag, my name will be a different color, and I will no longer be capable of assisting anyone with any sort of account-related or administrative problems. I will also have a smaller say in the game’s direction. I’m making a point of emphasizing these last two points as I’m hoping for as smooth of a transition as reasonably possible.

Regarding the Passenger Pidgey: it’s getting a complete and total overhaul. Rather than utilizing outdated formats such as digital newsletters and magazines, we’ll be moving to a contemporary blog format. I understand that this will probably turn some of you off of the product prematurely -- please give the new Passenger Pidgey a chance before dismissing it.

I expect the blog to launch in approximately 3-4 weeks, depending on several factors (which I can’t discuss yet). I’ll be releasing more information in about a week, including more on the format and how you can potentially contribute. For now, all you need to be aware of is the fact that I’m no longer an Administrator and instead am focusing my entire attention on rebooting the Journalist team and Passenger Pidgey.

Regarding the projects I’ve been working on to this point: I’m assuming that the only one you guys are going to care about is the skill set updates. In short: we’ve been working on an alternative solution for a long time, but we feel that it isn’t something that can be solved by making minor changes to some moves. In particular, ThuGie rightfully pointed out that updating move sets isn’t something that I should have been responsible for in the first place -- it was something that I began working on only because it had been neglected for so long. We’ll release more information regarding the status of this project in the coming weeks.

Thank you for all of your support over the years, both for myself and for the entire Pokemon World Online project. We’ll continue to do our best to deliver the best product that we possibly can and to continue to improve, adapt and advance as a staff and as individuals.

TheWyatt2012

Have you got any idea who's going to be on the Journalist team? I have one person in mind.

GawertyXL

Well, Crenel, i hope everything goes well, im sorry to hear you had such a rough year and i wish you the best with rebooting the journalist team, i love reading so ill be happy to give the passanger pidgey blog edition a try, it should be great! have a nice time with this, and thanks for the things youve done for pwo, even if it wasnt something really big, thanks for anything and everything youve done.

voltahit

Sorry to hear about the tragic events that unfolded recently.

I had a recent house issue happen with my parents involving BOA(Bank of America).
I'll never use BOA's Services as long as I live.

Bravo! On your decision to step down and follow your dreams to lead the Journists.

Merse

Youngster
Sad news indeed. But I can totally understand your decision.
I wish you the bests.

Ragus

Crenel I always thought you were cool and still do, and I don't know why bad things happen to good people but they do. I would understand if you didn't want to work on pwo given how rough things have been for ya, no one should have to go through that mess. I'm glade your on your way to recovery and you found the strength to carry on. Truth be said I'll probbly still look at you and Zammbi as the face of pwo.

G

Having Passenger Pidgey as a blog seems like a great idea, makes sense really.

And cheers for the work you did as an admin, particularly when I was around.

- Chelion.

Saric

Youngster
Even though I don't think we totally agreed on some things, I still respected you.
Cya Crenel, and have fun leading the Journalists.

PkmnMasterRed

Good luck Crenel. I do care and I hope everything goes well for you. Maybe one day you will come back and resume your role. Winter festival was awesome.

PkmnTrainerReginald

Website
www.shop.platinum-age-designs.com
NOOOO!!! CRENEL!!! DARN IT!!
You were a main character in fanfic in the forums!!! (Cries hysterically)
Well real life is more important and I hope you get through everything you and your family is going through with a level head and strong will.
Hopefull everything will work out and you'll come out ontop.

P.S some of us DO care.

SViper

Website
www.facebook.com
PkmnMasterRed said:
Good luck Crenel. I do care and I hope everything goes well for you. Maybe one day you will come back and resume your role. Winter festival was awesome.
We have 2 times winter event and maybe we have again.
We miss you Crenel and your good job with "Pokemon Updates" and others PWO Updates.

psychosamm

Youngster
I'm sorry to hear this Crenel. I wish you luck on your ventures.

Also, are you guys planning on hiring another admin? Work might be a little rough if its just Blue and Jinji. And on top of that only they can restart the server now. Unless Thugie gets on.

MrFlare2

Youngster
Well, considering you will be leading the journalist team, i would be happy, but after hearing everything thats happened, everything. I feel a little queasy. Crenel, thanks. I hope you enjoy your new staff position leading the journalists (like koff me 'or soon to be' ) just kidding, but good luck. :'D

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
psychosamm said:
And on top of that only they can restart the server now. Unless Thugie gets on.
Crenel hasn't had server access for the past few weeks if I recall right.

narutofoxLT said:
PkmnMasterRed said:
We have 2 times winter event and maybe we have again.
We miss you Crenel and your good job with "Pokemon Updates" and others PWO Updates.
I can't help but think that people are actually thinking Crenel is departing us, when he isn't. ~