Obedience and Reputation system

Nikola

Youngster
Seeing that this game is going better and more professional alike several ideas came into my mind today. I wanted to bring this up to see how you are going to understand the whole thing and what are you opinions about it.

Obedience system:

-I am finding obedience system very flawless in handhelds. It really looks very primitive when someone has 0.2 REP or enough badges to access Trade city grabbing 99 team to troll around. God knows how many troll accounts are being made every day which are going to be abandoned soon or later. Many Pokémon are being smuggled from scammed victims using guild bank and with help of another associates. You can't hop on a battle scene like that...You just can't. Every trainer should have bond with their Pokémon. If Pokémon feels your not worthy it will disobey your orders. That system in handhelds is being controlled by claiming badges iirc. I am curious if you would like to see game getting more professional alike. Not sure by myself what it would require an update, that is one of the reasons why I made this topic. I am going to refresh your memory how obedience system should work by trying to demonstrate it like it's in PWO.

-Any Pokémon that you caught yourself or you purchased it via Token Store (you are the OT) will always obey you, no matter what level they are.

However any Pokémon you got via trading will only obey if you have specific gym badge. Once they are higher level, they will randomly disobey, ignore your commands, random given status such as sleeping or confusion. Assuming that dialogue in battle logs can be manipulated it it can give great combo.

When?
Badge 1 = lvl 20
Badge 2 = lvl 30
Badge 3 = lvl 40
Badge 4 = lvl 50
Badge 5 = lvl 60
Badge 6 = lvl 70
Badge 7 = lvl 80
Badge 8 = all Pokémon.

Seeing how other things are being updated on current code I can't give better example since I am not sure if Pokémon is able to do things by it's own during battle such as using random move or saying Slaking is loafing around by doing nothing that round. This is only rough idea I wanted to bring up.

Reputation system:

-REP cap is 1000 earned by defeating NPCs, doing quests or battling against another player. So far we need REP to initiate NPC battle. For example we need X REP to challenge Brock. REP distribution is just fine seeing how many NPCs and quests are before next gym. But I would like to speak about something that would probably make that REP more valuable, give it a proper meaning make your bond stronger with your account and game itself. People always appreciated something they got on a hard way on their own so...

Not going to discuss about ranking since we already have some sort of forum ranks not so flawless due to trade section since forum rank is based on how many posts you made and not where are you posting often...right?

-This suggestion I am about to write might look odd, but I am sure some of you will figure it out since it's very short and simple. When someone wants to battle you and they are 20 level below your highest, they get system message in return saying that you cannot battle them since their Pokémon is 20 levels higher or lower then your max level Pokémon is. How about to add REP as well as requirement? And you got system message saying for example: You are not experienced enough to challenge this trainer yet. It would also decrease PvP abuse at some point. I was also thinking about putting limit to battle certain trainer such as battling them max 5 times in a row but meh. That doesn't have to be some huge difference, enough to make people to train their Pokémon to gain REP on their own and give them a reason to gain REP such as battling experienced trainers and participate in events. Not making difference between people since I respect everyone at some point. But this system is really something that can change meaning of REP in PWO, of course on better.

Peace-Enforcer

Here is a random idea of how we might improve REP system with current client:

-CORE-
I sudgest we take out NPC battles REP gain and give REP only for pvp.
and make at least one limitation. for example: players with 0-50 REP can only battle between them self. and 50 REP or above can battle all except those under 50 REP(making more limitation might add to the depth of this system).
This system would require to increase REP gain from pvp to make it work. I sudgest something like 0.5 rep gain per win and 0.5 loss per lose.

-AIM-
1. This would give us some depth to battling systems.
2. It would stop "Win selling" which i have seen lately
3. Not only will it bring depth but also meaning to REP system since how it is at this moment its pointless.

-ELABORATION-
by dividing players into groups on a count of REP we would not only give more depth to battling, since at this moment only thing it has going for it is number of battles, but also break this new thing what i often c now in game "win selling". I personally find this a problem cause it destroys competitiveness between players which in my opinion is important for any MMO. Way it works is if some one wants to sell a win to a battler with over 50 REP he needs to win 100 battles in a row. basically if he is a decent battler in that category he needs 150 battles to sell one win.
Of course all current REP needs to b reset.

Note: Trying to initiate some kind of a discussion in hope for PWOs betterment.

The-Predator

Youngster
I dont have an idea to add, but wanted to say that I like the "disobey when no rep" idea very much, and like u said this would prevent many scams to happen in some way although theres something i cant get how would work, what about the rep limitation when battling a higher rep battler?? I know that u are giving this idea to prevent battle abuse or free wins to quests, rep, etc.. but i always see the same players battling in batte channel, so the problem would be when a new player that wants to join to those exciting battles couldnt be able to battle any "old player" just because of the low rep they have, a clearer example of what im trying to say is that what about if i make a new account and after a while i get my 16 badges and have some 99 pokes but cannot battle against other players that i usually battle due to the rep limitation, i guess there are some ways to handle this but there is my doubt lol sorry if its explained and didnt get it or saw it

Merse

Youngster
I just like what Darcia says. Basically I like anything what gives more depth to the gameplay :D

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Thank you for your suggestions. Although they are well-received to me in the directional concept of them, I would like to chime in my own food for thought, selectively touching in on some suggestions:

Obedience correlated to badge requirements: As you know, there currently exists a badge requirement for trading in both regions, and under the obedience scale you proposed, players will have already attained unconditional obedience from level 50-60+ Pokemon, by the time they can obtain Pokemon via trade. Given the current setup for trading, the badge requirement would not inhibit them for too long, so would you suggest encompassing the badge requirements in both regions, as well as divvying up the level requirements to more badges, to add more longevity to this restriction?

Alternatively, would you support alternative requirements for obedience, such as a quest points system, if it was to be implemented in PWO? Some may argue that the completion of quests would be of a good merit for earning a Pokemon's obedience, as it would be another measure of accomplishments, comparable to badges. Although I do not have any specific scale, or tangible system of net requirements, in mind, I am curious on input for such obedience requirements that were not used in the handheld games, but are open-ended here.

I feel that if PWO was to adopt a replica of the obedience system used in the handheld games, some may tear through the obedience requirements rather fast; fluidity, often enough, must differ from the handheld games in the context of a more challenging element, in a more competitive environment.

Reputation requirement for pvp battles: My main concern is the correlation of reputation requirements and Pokemon levels.

The only experience enrichment, while simultaneously attaining more reputation points, is defeating NPCs. Those who chose to grind tirelessly on high-level wild Pokemon, when their NPCs cooled down, or chose to have their Pokemon daycared, could have easily comparable levels to one who attained 1000 reputation points, while having incomparable levels. Future methods of attaining rep may not involve level-training activities either - such as a mini-quest that rewards reputation points, free of any battling in the process (such as the secret area mini-quests).

Regarding the plausibility of the updates at this current time: the functions of items are mostly only interrelatable to other NPCs, so they predominantly relate to other content spawned by the scripting system, which wild Pokemon do not fall under. Regardless of how feasible these changes are at this time, it does not prevent you from distilling these ideas, which can be held into consideration and possibly implemented when they are more workable.

Abox-

Website
forums.d2jsp.org
I really like the obedience system suggested and I think it has room for improvement as some of the suggestions Creo made about it.
(Combining the gym badges and diving the levels between them etc.) I'd really like to hear others thoughts on it as well. I also liked the idea that you'd have to complete certain quests to also aid the relationship between you and the poke.
As for the rep system, it doesn't touch too much on me as I don't really pvp that often, mostly due to the lack of development in the battle system. So I have no remark there.

Merse

Youngster
I think we could distribute the obidience to 15 badges, so after you get the 15th the Pokes owuld obey you no matter what their level is. It owuld prevent trolls buying 99s as soon as they get to Saffron or Goldenrod and rush through the badges. And then go botting into the DD for example :D

Raimu_fox25

AboxofWater said:
I really like the obedience system suggested and I think it has room for improvement as some of the suggestions Creo made about it.
(Combining the gym badges and diving the levels between them etc.) I'd really like to hear others thoughts on it as well. I also liked the idea that you'd have to complete certain quests to also aid the relationship between you and the poke.
As for the rep system, it doesn't touch too much on me as I don't really pvp that often, mostly due to the lack of development in the battle system. So I have no remark there.

I agree with this truthfully Right now what needs to be fixed before the rep system is even touched most glaringly is the trade out attacks.

Ive had battles where my opponent has traded out 10 times in 1 battle and I never attacked once during the trade outs (10 free attacks if it was working correctly) and then Ive had in that same battle when Ive traded out a mere 3 times to type advantage Ive been attacked every single time.

So that ammounts to 10 wasted turns on my end + my opponent got to hit me 3 more times than I could Now Im a low level (below lvl 20 for most of my team) but I think everyone can agree 3 hits/turns can make or break a fight depending on what they use.

at the moment most of the "broken skills" are okay I havent noticed a dire affect to them but if those were all fixed up as well that would be an even better and Stronger change to more competitive playing and a better use of the rep system.

Long story short: Fix the Battle problems that are the Basis of the rep system before trying to build on said rep system. a Strong base would stem off more problems this way.