New Server

Capt.Sparrow

I would like suggest a NEW BALANCE SERVER.
No old ivs shinies
No pd(back to zero)
No rb

A server to start again.

Klay

Youngster
No old shiny ivs? Well, then no 20+ shiny ivs aswell since it's not how shinies are supposed to be. Or, oh wait, no shiny at all. After all, is it really useful for a "balanced" server?
No pd? How are we supposed to buy pokeballs/escape ropes/tickets?
No rb? What's wrong with you? Random battles are the best way for non-battlers to understand and practice battles without wasting their pvp stats.
Also, a new server? For what, 40 players playing at the same time on a single server already? You better pay it yourself, because it higly no worth it.

note: you want a balanced server, but even on a new one, some years later there will still be a huge difference between the guy who would start at the release (aka you) and any new player.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Do you mean a new server in addition to the current one, or a complete start over for everyone?

It would be helpful if you post your reasons too, it would help get the discussion going I think.

Capt.Sparrow

Ok i will try to explain why i suggest this. Try to understand

Think about it that if you are a new player, you have a mindset "You want to be one of best here" ex. Best battlers, best collectors or the richest etc. If i were to ask i want to be all also. But how? Play like old players before?

Soon sevii and hoenn will update. This game is Not balance anymore it will continue even if many generations come. Things will nvr change old players still have advantage of everything. My concern is how about new players, soon it will updates old players will comeback and new players will come in. Things will more difference about old ivs and pokedollars.

New ivs 20+ nonshiny/shiny are balance, but old shiny 28ivs+ is in different level.Even you play 5yrs or more Some pokes is imposible to get but old players have it.

Anyway i see more new players but are we just advisable to play random battles only. Now market is dead. Time comes old players recognize old only but new comes will just step aside playing random battles.

Many players like PWO. Me, Others and new players to come.Lets have a New and Balance server that all dreams are posible.

If i were to ask if you are a staff here what will i contributes, and this game always like this. I will reset this back to zero. Haha.

Hopefully you understand my point, We cant return to the past. Time to time new generation of players will come in. Give them a chance to be posible.

I play since 2009 not active but still alive, soon maybe quit here but i have [Generation to come ] my bro and son already playing. I ask again if you are a new player and your mindset is to be one of best, do they have a chance here now?

New server

Capt.Sparrow

Maybe im wrong about other belief, and i dont say im right i will just give a idea how it works. It happens this to my other games. Maybe it will help

Theres a lot interesting will happen, If we have 2 servers players will have choice either you stay or you go transfer. Ex. I will move to the new server.

I have an idea how i can survive to the new server. I will sell my pokes to old server in tokens then maybe they will donate. Newly players also will donate. Probably the market will rotate.

Saric

Youngster
Just some things to bring up.
I've been around for a long time. Since late 2008. I've seen the game go up and down, go through numerous transitions and updates, etc. So going off of that, I (currently) see no issue with balancing, etc. The market is a bit less active than in years past yes, but with the addition of sevii and later hoenn it will become a bit more lively with a full influx of new, previously unobtainable pokemon (at least in the case of hoenn).

I don't see an issue with the existence of old IV shinies. There's currently only a few of those around, and of those few they are mostly just tier 1/common shinies that have no real place in the battling scene as of now.

Personally, advising new players to do random battle instead gives them a chance to get a feel for battling and pvp in PWO. What we have here is different from the main games and battling simulators like pokemon showdown, and a lot of incoming new players are inexperienced in those as well. I will agree, however, that it can be difficult for a new player to get started and build their own team. Unfortunately you can't really sell pokemon that are not either 1. Rare, 2. Good IVs, or 3. Shiny (or a combination of these) and actual battle worthy pokemon can be expensive.

However this is pokemon, and at its core pokemon has always had an aspect of grinding, even moreso in an MMO format. It can take some time, but a new player (or a returning old one with a new account) can make their way through just fine (Just look at diesel).

Lastly, what do you hope will be solved with a new server with no RB, PDs, or old IV shinies? Creating a new server with these things would make the already low playerbase and market activity even lower, and, at the moment, PWO currently doesn't really have the playerbase to warrant a complete split on this. Anymore we are getting anywhere between 20-50 players online at any given time. Yes, unique visitors are much higher - but these are also during prime hours.

So while a server split such as this may be an okay idea in the future (when we have a few hundred players maybe), but right now it's just simply not warranted in any way. Running away from PWO's current issues is not something that should be done. We should be fixing what we have and strive to make things more lively here and now.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea (it's not), but is it right for PWO right now? I'd really have to say no, at least until our playerbase is a bit more healthy.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I'm reminded of old discussions about what should happen to PWO when it finally leaves Beta...

justme1306

Youngster
sparrow...okay wipe everything but what you say to all the old players who spend thousand of hours hunting and paid 6$ montly for many years? we wipe and restart everything?

i will tell you something...new players ive seen around has improved and i have even seen them beat old players...wanna know why?...they are hunting selling pokes so they make money...even if u are unlucky are can catch good tier 1 pokes or tier 2.

dont think the game can wipe everything for only few unhappy people who just started because ive seen many newbie joining and they doing well in game. with sevi and new quest-content players number will increase and old players will comeback so you cant just wipe on years of progress and people who supported this game and still do.

crenel

Youngster
Saric said:
with the addition of sevii and later hoenn

Buddy I was saying Hoenn was just around the corner as recently as 2012 and it still wasn't just around the corner despite it being partially mapped and worked on. Unless the limited map layer issue was corrected/improved there's no way Hoenn can exist correctly in PWO, let alone any other region originally developed after the year 2000.

Hoenn started being worked on in late 2009. It's now late 2017. It ain't happening without that map system overhaul, and I can name a few reasons why a developer would shudder over the thought of taking that on.

Saric said:
I don't see an issue with the existence of old IV shinies. There's currently only a few of those around, and of those few they are mostly just tier 1/common shinies that have no real place in the battling scene as of now.

The fact that they exist at all is what's problematic, in my opinion. Being scared of a near-term player backlash isn't really a good game development strategy, especially when an unbalanced or unfair advantage simply existing means that the majority of design concepts need to work around their existence. The fact that we're talking about shiny Pokemon IVs (or altered stats for shiny Pokemon at all) 8 years plus from the start of the conversation should be evidence enough on its own that they're problematic.

Getting cold feet about whether or not to pull the plug on something simply because some players make a bit of noise was something that I constantly had to battle with, and at times I was the only one on the staff willing to both acknowledge and push for action regarding normalizing shiny stats. There were plenty of times when people would acknowledge the problem but consider it something distant or unimportant, and plenty of times when people would acknowledge the problem but then would cave under pressure from noisy players.

Frankly, a cursory search of the Playerdex tells me that many of the loudest players don't even play the game anymore, so it would seem that the march of time has soundly defeated their argument all on its own -- no, altered shiny stats were not and are not good for the long term health of the game.

I definitely understand wanting to be careful about major updates that will have permanent impacts on the way in which players interact with the game or make their decisions, and I absolutely appreciate genuine criticism, constructive feedback, and even just whining from the players (whining still holds some truths), but basing decisions on whether or not you upset a fraction of competitive players is ludicrous, and for several reasons, the most important of which is that they have a heavy personal bias.

Obviously it's important to appreciate and acknowledge the hard work some of those players put into building their accounts, the amount of time and investment they put into their competitive records and reputations, and the support and loyalty they showed to the game over the course of months or years, but at the same time their goal (the preservation of their then-current competitive teams) was diametrically opposed to the long term health of the game.

Every game goes through balance cycles and maintaining a status quo for literal years for fear of some players becoming disgruntled and quitting is simply bogus logic and bad development. Again, most of those players have now quit (possibly due to boredom from a stagnant environment), so preserving their then-competitive teams is an obviously failed endeavor.

It bothers the hell out of me that I wasn't able to correct the issue once and for all nearly a decade ago due to push back from the team, especially when most of that push back came from either a place of fear or from not wanting to see their player friends quit (nepotism).

Saric said:
Personally, advising new players to do random battle instead gives them a chance to get a feel for battling and pvp in PWO. What we have here is different from the main games and battling simulators like pokemon showdown, and a lot of incoming new players are inexperienced in those as well.

The fact is that the battles here were never intended to be different, and that many efforts were made to ensure that as much emulation to the actual games as possible was reached. I personally dug through the database and manually updated every Pokemon and around 700 moves to make them functional, and Durham/Mad later went through and updated parts of the engine/used a script to automate further updates. If the engine isn't correct by now then yeah sure help players find a way to overcome that, but it represents a bigger problem looming on the horizon: how to acclimate veteran players to the new balance environment once the engine actually is repaired.

The highest priority possible should be in locating a developer or developers willing to make changes specifically to the core battle engine. I feel like having a few people (who properly notarize their work) work on it in bits and chunks is more likely to see progress/results than if the team seeks out a single "miracle" developer willing to work for free on something so difficult: reading through 9-10 year old game code written over a weekend, not notarized, edited by a dozen different people by this point? Not going to find someone willing to dump that evil on themselves without paying them a competitive rate, which the game obviously can't do.

It's a shame that it's still broken.

Saric said:
However this is pokemon, and at its core pokemon has always had an aspect of grinding, even moreso in an MMO format. It can take some time, but a new player (or a returning old one with a new account) can make their way through just fine (Just look at diesel).

While I agree with the general sentiment, I do believe that PWO could and can always strive for better. Even the core Nintendo titles have significantly reduced grind and increased player accessibility/quality of life over the generations, so to me it makes little sense to argue that an extended grind is favorable or generally okay.

At its core, Pokemon has also always been about battling with the team that you want to use, and traditionally only story has limited what you can do with your team by restricting the areas you can travel to. It isn't a game about grinding as much as it is a game about selection and puzzling -- even battles are essentially a memorization puzzle. I feel like focusing on that, making more Pokemon viable, competitive, and available, is more important than placing artificial obstacles in the way of player enjoyment.

Now I'm not saying let people do whatever they want instantly, because that is boring, but arguing that Pokemon is chiefly a grind or an xp bar simulator is an extreme disservice to the franchise.

Donar

@Crenel, going by what you said yourself, you have been gone for 5 years. While you have been staff in the past, 5 years is a long time and you could at leas take the time to get up to speed with what has been going on in that time. Specifically the past 2 years the current staff has been working on this game. Things are not what they were when you last visited.

You mention the issue with map layers, that was one of the first things I updated when I got the chance. While Hoenn maps might have existed in the past, they were gone by the time I joined the staff and the few that were actually left were either broken or just wrong. I remapped most of them myself until I switched over to DEV. Another one of our mappers is currently finishing them and updating the ones I made to the new layer system.
Saying Hoenn has been "worked on" since 2009 is also not quite right. It might have been on the table all these years as the logical next step to take in terms of region, but is hasn't been the center of development in those years. We've laid out our plan for Hoenn in the aptly named topic "The road to Hoenn and beyond", which has been delayed (although there haven't been any ETAs to being with) slightly by the need to convert all NPCs. They had to be updated since we are changing over to Lua from the currently used XanaScript with the upcoming update, which is currently in the testing phase.

Speaking of the battle engine: that was the next thing I worked on, and while there are still around 10 moves and a few abilities and almost all held items that I haven't gotten to yet, it has been completely rewritten and reworked. I wouldn't have put in the time to add random battles if I hadn't already done that much.

While Luminance and I might not be your aforementioned "miracle" developers, I'd like to think that we and the rest of the staff have greatly improved upon what PWO is. So again, I'd like you to please stop assuming things have stayed the same :)

crenel

Youngster
I'll happily concede that I'm not 100% up to date, but I have been familiar with the Wiki and I have lurked occasionally. There's nothing in the Wiki about the Hoenn region and -- more importantly -- the Wiki excessively highlights that there are only two regions in multiple articles. If I've failed to keep up with the game to a satisfactory level or if I've missed important information regarding the Hoenn region, then I'll happily rescind my criticism and tell you to continue on.

The Hoenn region was fairly heavily worked on back in 2009 -- I know this to be true because I am the one that tried to oversee its implementation. I tried to focus on ways to provide new content to the game but at the time we were severely hamstrung (no way to update the client, no developer to actively work on the server, etc), so little was done. We tried multiple times to remake the maps to work in a 3-layer system and we tried various approaches to the problem, but ultimately by 2012 the project was dead.

Regarding the battle system: unfortunately my account is banned so I did not get a chance to log in and test it out, so I'll simply say thank you for doing something so stupidly masochistic for the game I once loved.

So again, I'd like you to please stop assuming things have stayed the same

The bulk of my thoughts are regarding something that hasn't changed. I'll admit to being out of date on whatever information wasn't available on the Wiki (I was informed on a previous visit that the forums were effectively dead and that people only used the chats so I didn't bother until noticing activity today), but I feel vindicated in my thoughts on shiny Pokemon having boosted stats.

I maintain that it has no place, and after speaking with people in the Discord chat, believe that if the boost must exist, that the reasoning does not address the root of the problem, but rather addresses the symptom.

If some or all shiny Pokemon are unlikely to be competitively viable without the boost, then the issue is the that there are not enough opportunities to catch those affected shiny Pokemon in a natural or organic way, not that they are unlikely to be competitively viable.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
To keep or remove or change the old IV shinies has been an ongoing and divisive issue in the game for a long time, with solid arguments on all sides. We haven't forgotten about it. Updates are planned that will affect them and a decision regarding them will be made then. In the meantime all feedback we get will be fully considered.

Regarding your account, we couldn't unban it currently. It has over 700 probably mostly staff pokemon in the released box which is now accessible to all players. If you really want this account cleaned out to use as a player I will try to arrange it, just let us know- you could make an appeal on the Playerdex.

Alternatively you could just make a new account and see the changes we've made first hand.

Biltz

So You Want To Make A New Server and Forget The Old One?? If this gonna happen just one guy then you know what will admins .All old player who pay alot for ms and token pokes will stop playing .So better dont hear someone who dont even play 12 hours and forget the old who paid alot.Think Before Doing Anything Like This

Capt.Sparrow

This is not balance guys, things will never change but still we bring until today. Before we talk about pokedollars(millions and billions) and Shiny pokes (ex. S salamence etc. old ivs i rmbr they bought 100% shiny from token store before or issue from a bias staff) that worth 100m-500m even billions. And Now we talk pokes/dollars worth 50k, 100k, 1m , 50m and old shiny arcanine is 100m. And That S salamence old ivs become imposible to get but old guys have those OP pokes and lot of pd from before. If im a old guy and i have this advantage pokes from before i can play as many hrs i want and offline and wait for interesting happen to pw

Were getting older guys im 8yrs alive here, soon will come few will leave but when updates comes, what we will expect..To bring back the old guys or new players will come in? So can say both. But how long it will takes.

What if this new guy ask how can i get that Ex. Shiny Tyrant,Sala,Meta,Jolt,Vire with old ivs? Are we gonna advice farm,hunt,sell pokes and If he can play 10,000hrs you think he can get it? Maybe 5% if he sell it.

Here we are now waiting for an update. The market is dead, player online 20-50 but still were bringing the old times prices of pokes. Is this balance?

this is balance new server
1. Non shiny/shiny +20ivs/decent is balance but old ivs are OP(over power/over price)
2. Back to zero pd

For me this is the time to have New Server, now we 20-50players. To start again..more fun to come.

Soon many updates come all old players always advantage to be the best, while new makes them imposible in this game.

BTW Dont ask me what about old players who spend thousands of hrs, spending moneys to buy old shiny pokes. They been the best for almost until now even they offline(See best battlers). If this is balance there is no best here, we all be the chances to be the best. You know what im saying..

Did we forget about thoughts of " the new players (children) is the future...then give chance to be posible a balance server..

justme1306

Youngster
* what if this new guy ask how can i get that Ex. Shiny Tyrant,Sala,Meta,Jolt,Vire with old ivs *

u know...even players with 5000 hours and richest players most cant afford them. you dont need those to be successful. many players have very decent pokes ( not great) still winning pvp against old players.

i joined in 2012 and left few months and give everything away...comeback for good in 2014 without friends and 0$ and 0 pokes. we all been newbie somehow. we cant wipe or change server each time some new players join.

and i would add with nature and ability in a few months-year even old strong pokes wont be that good anymore

JoaoQ91

sorry, I dont agree with this, we have 2 situations here:

1 - A new server with different specs. I believe this is the way that leads to Ogame, different universes with different specifications. You play in one of them but if you want to play in another one then you need to create a new account.

2 - A new server with different or same specs but wipe or not updating the 1st anymore.

So I would agree with the 1st, but the 2nd is totally unfair by various points and imo there is not even a discussion for that. To resume the 2nd point - Not updating the current server anymore, there are people that spend lots of time, there are people that donated lots of money which was the reason for the game to continue otherwise PWO wasnt around anymore.

The option to have different servers is good but you MUST make them very different so new players have a the opportunity to choose between the servers. If you just create a new server with much better things than the one we are using then you dont need to be that smart to know that everyone will pick the new one and the current server will die.

Btw, if the reason to reset the server, delete it, create a new one and stop updating the old one, is because of new players then that is not the right way, new players will be old one day and you cant just keep reseting progress, thats not the way.

Theres another option, 3rd - just leave as it is and keep creating good stuff.
I think this 3rd is the best one because:
- Its a non profit game
- Old players stop playing all the time or go and come back
- New players stay if they like the game
- Theres is a lot of work to do and already done and I know how much work is needed from a developer to make it happen
- New things already take lots of time to come our (not complaining as I said I know how much work is needed and this is a non profit game)
- Dont forget theres a lot of pay to play games, there are people that dont like them and PWO is perfect in that point.
- Last and most imported for non profit things - Quality is not Quantity, better and few and good than a lot and the game is a crap. We need more players yes but with new features we get them.

Cheers!!

Capt.Sparrow

Dont think theres no one will donate if we have new server. Even new players now we have donation. What more else to the new interesting server that we call it balance server
Like I said its choice you stay or not.

Read again I said this already.

If we have new server i will move, i will sell my pokes in old server for tokens. To use for new server to buy MS. You think new players come in will never donate? They will donate

What more posible? Many players got ban before and didnt comeback(cuz they got disapointed got behind). Posible they will comeback..

This is my suggestion only, I dont like agruing so this will my last here. Dont tell me im selfish cuz im doing this to the new will come.

Capt.Sparrow

Dont think theres no one will donate if we have new server. Even new players now we have donation. What more else to the new interesting server that we call it balance server
Like I said its choice you stay or not.

Read again I said this already.

If we have new server i will move, i will sell my pokes in old server for tokens. To use for new server to buy MS. You think new players come in will never donate? They will donate

What more posible? Many players got ban before and didnt comeback(cuz they got disapointed got behind). Posible they will comeback..

This is my suggestion only, I dont like agruing so this will my last here. Dont tell me im selfish cuz im doing this to the new will come.

JoaoQ91

Yeh new players can donate ofc, but we need to think about old players as well which supported the game till now.
And about this: "If we have new server i will move, i will sell my pokes in old server for tokens. To use for new server to buy MS"

1 - sell to who? If old server does not get updates who do you think will stay in it?
2 - So a new server to start fresh and you want to start with things from your older account? The first thing to be done is make sure you cant transfer anything to the new account, this means Pokes, Pokecoins, items, MS, Tokens. Otherwise is not starting fresh.

Capt.Sparrow

JoaoQ91 said:
Yeh new players can donate ofc, but we need to think about old players as well which supported the game till now.
And about this: "If we have new server i will move, i will sell my pokes in old server for tokens. To use for new server to buy MS"

1 - sell to who? If old server does not get updates who do you think will stay in it?
2 - So a new server to start fresh and you want to start with things from your older account? The first thing to be done is make sure you cant transfer anything to the new account, this means Pokes, Pokecoins, items, MS, Tokens. Otherwise is not starting fresh.

What I mean is my pokes in from old server i will trade it tokens( can donate to new server). Then both will be satisfied you have my pokes to old server and i have tokens(pure donate) to new server.