Latino tournaments

DoreanBV

Hi guys, I want other people to say their oppinion regarding the 'boom' of Latino-only tournaments. I don't want to whine or something, but I am starting to find it offensive/rasist. Why Latino only? I understand you may want to do a tournament with a 'theme' as it is, a national pride tournament or something, but regular lvl 15/30/50/99 tournaments that only a nationality can join... doesn't quite sound ok. I have never EVER seen a tournament that stated: English speakers only... and in all my tourneys I used google Translate to do my best to talk to people that didn't knew English, using common, easy words. So yeah, am I the only one bothered that out of 5 tournaments active right now, 3 of them won't accept non-Latino players?

Sufyan

i agree with dorean. its like non-latinos dont have any tourneys left for them

The-Predator

Youngster
Well i have seen only guild members tournaments, saw only french guy tournaments and many other "only" tournament stuff, hmm not rlly sure why u are feeling offended, theres no reason to be the only reason why latin guys are doing this is mainly because most of the hosts of such tournaments dont rlly speak nor understand english, if u want to join u just have to post or talk with the hosts about u knowing spanish so u wont have any problem to comunicate with ur opponent though its rlly not up to me as said ud have to talk with the hosts, and theyll decide whether they allow non-latin guys or not

PS: Im a latin guy but i wasnt allowed to participate in few of em cuz i wasnt in the latin guild, hmm not sure but they dont have a topic in guild section so all they can do is to post their guild tourneys in unofficial section though

DoreanBV

KPyppo said:
Well i have seen only guild members tournaments, saw only french guy tournaments and many other "only" tournament stuff, hmm not rlly sure why u are feeling offended, theres no reason to be the only reason why latin guys are doing this is mainly because most of the hosts of such tournaments dont rlly speak nor understand english, if u want to join u just have to post or talk with the hosts about u knowing spanish so u wont have any problem to comunicate with ur opponent though its rlly not up to me as said ud have to talk with the hosts, and theyll decide whether they allow non-latin guys or not

PS: Im a latin guy but i wasnt allowed to participate in few of em cuz i wasnt in the latin guild, hmm not sure but they dont have a topic in guild section so all they can do is to post their guild tourneys in unofficial section though

I have seen quite a few X-only tournaments myself, but I truly believe those should be the exception, not the rule. I tried very hard during my tourneys to accomodate everyone, since that's what I believe should be done, and I'm not the only one, I can say that for sure. But I have yet to see 1 Latino tournament where english was permitted. Because it's of course a Latino tournament. Besides, how hard could it be, even if the organiser can only speak Spanish? I can translate the rules, that's not a problem. And after that I need to use a maximum of 5 things to say: "are you ready to battle?" "yes" "no" "congratz" and "thanks". A true challenge to translate for sure. After all Battles are an international language. So... the reason for the exception is... what? Segregation? Commodity? Distaste towards other languages?
And I haven't seen any Latino guild in the guild wars that happened until now... where is that "Guild pride" there?

The-Predator

Youngster
maybe thats the problem u have, they are not battling for pride, they dont even consider themselves as good battlers, they only want to hang out just a bit, they dont usually sign in on other tournaments as most of em are new players and know they dont stand a chance against others, when i signed in on their tournament they were like "meh, KP´s gonna win it" so i decided to use non battler pokemon as u can see in this list of the pokemon http://prntscr.com/2d4z8h , didnt plan to win it at all but participate so if u just want to beat some guys just host a tournament (i know u already hosting one) or make some casual pvp battles, they are not wanting to show some kind of pride and their latin guild in fact does exist but is kinda new, and yeah latin guys has participated in guild wars in fact i won the last one with my "vengadores" guild (latin one), dude u dont have to feel that way u dont understand is nothing against others they just want to hang out a bit between em,

guild tournaments are made all the time in guild topics, maybe i should suggest em to make his own topic or make it via FB that way there wont be any more complains or...

if u want to beat latin guys, there are a few that could be a challenge, theres Matileo (Lance_DM), DeGeDF, wcce and myself, if u want to enter just to beat some new butts in the battle scene hmm then go to battle channel there are tons of em, so take it easy is not something racist or stuff like that ill tell em to stay out of ur sight if that suits u better

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
I would understand a bit better if it was something like "spanish speaking people only" because the host of the tournament may only understand spanish, then people like me who only know a small amount of spanish may have been able to slide by. Latinos is basically saying people from latin countries or descent. However, if that is the theme of the tournament I'd expect no one to have any qualms if I were to make an english speaking tournament, or a tournament allowing only those from which their country's native language is english. As long as the community wouldn't have a problem with that, I have no problem with the latinos only tournament.

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
[glow=red]I never bothered about that, as I believe they won't mind about a 'english speaking tournament'. Perhaps they feel better battling among themselves, with who they have a better comunication or something like this. Since I can also say that Latinos, in particular Brazilians, suffer a kind of discrimination/isolation from various other nationalities; it might be due to our own way of being/acting, but it is nonetheless true. At least compared to most. But this question isn't so different of guilds for specific nationalities, is this also a form of discrimination/racism?[/glow]

DoreanBV

KPyppo said:
maybe thats the problem u have, they are not battling for pride, they dont even consider themselves as good battlers, they only want to hang out just a bit, they dont usually sign in on other tournaments as most of em are new players and know they dont stand a chance against others, when i signed in on their tournament they were like "meh, KP´s gonna win it" so i decided to use non battler pokemon as u can see in this list of the pokemon http://prntscr.com/2d4z8h , didnt plan to win it at all but participate so if u just want to beat some guys just host a tournament (i know u already hosting one) or make some casual pvp battles, they are not wanting to show some kind of pride and their latin guild in fact does exist but is kinda new, and yeah latin guys has participated in guild wars in fact i won the last one with my "vengadores" guild (latin one), dude u dont have to feel that way u dont understand is nothing against others they just want to hang out a bit between em,

guild tournaments are made all the time in guild topics, maybe i should suggest em to make his own topic or make it via FB that way there wont be any more complains or...

if u want to beat latin guys, there are a few that could be a challenge, theres Matileo (Lance_DM), DeGeDF, wcce and myself, if u want to enter just to beat some new butts in the battle scene hmm then go to battle channel there are tons of em, so take it easy is not something racist or stuff like that ill tell em to stay out of ur sight if that suits u better

I see your point and I agree :). I will drop this issue, but I would appreciate if you could advise them to hold at least the Guild-only tournaments in their posts. This way I won't have to drool on the events page sometimes at seeing all the tourneys I can't join :). Maybe a sub-category of events should be guild events, separate from unofficial events or even a sub-category of unofficial events. That's a proposal i would support for the forums, like when shops became a sub-category of trade. This should also stop me drooling at some of the prizes i saw in some Blaze tourneys... sigh.

And it's rude to say I want to beat latin guys, lol. I actually want to fight as many different people as possible in some sort of organised matter, cause that's when people actually try their hardest and makes it more interesting for me, win or lose. And that being said I battled a lot of english speaking people, the list of english-speaking people I battled has grown a lot... while others... hasn't

KPyppo said:
talked to DeGe.DF and being latin is not a requirement nor never was http://prntscr.com/2d56jc u are free to join the tournament

Trust me, if my tourney wouldn't be such a pain in the... backend... i would have joined already. I just wanted to address this and see some answers. And I think you provided some good ones, thx :)

P.S. Still haven't seen you online in the game :p

EDIT as answer to julio: while I haven't been paying much attention, it is possible they are being discriminated. But I don't think them making their own guilds in which they don't accept other people or their own tournaments actually helps. I would think it's making things worse by isolating them. If there are a lot of latino tournaments, they will never join the other tournaments (with a few exceptions from a few players of course), and that only widens the 'rift' and mistrust... More than half of my friends have been made through tourneys, and yes, even a few latinos were among them (unfortunatelly they seem inactive, but that's not important right now).

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
julio2503 said:
[glow=red]I never bothered about that, as I believe they won't mind about a 'english speaking tournament'. Perhaps they feel better battling among themselves, with who they have a better comunication or something like this. Since I can also say that Latinos, in particular Brazilians, suffer a kind of discrimination/isolation from various other nationalities; it might be due to our own way of being/acting, but it is nonetheless true. At least compared to most. But this question isn't so different of guilds for specific nationalities, is this also a form of discrimination/racism?[/glow]

Well, this is a truthful fact... The pwo community thinks that every latin/brazilian playing pwo is a hacker, this is because of the actions of a few, but I'd like to do some calculations to see what's the % of hackers and the nationality of each, the numbers may give you a surprise.
One of the reasons they make/made tournaments for Latin-players-only is because the Latins have a very solid and united community (plus the fact that most of them aren't as good as others, KP gave you the names you need if you want good matches), which is something that others don't have. There's a facebook page for latin players, there used to be an exclusive forum aswell (I used to be the owner of 2, lot of years ago when I made the 1st Latin guild) and I know 1 of the reasons I/we made this pages/forums is because most of the latins can't understand/read/speak english properly to follow pwo as they should . Putting an event on this Forums is like officialy announcing it, while they can announce it on the facebook page, this is the way they feel they should do it.
There's not a rule that negates a player the creation of a tournament wtih an exclusive or specific language, hosting guild tournaments is the same thing if we pay attention to the facts. I don't see the problem Dorean, you shouldn't worry about it, I havent been able to play some tournaments because I didnt had the requested stuff to join, for example. Wait patiently until you see a tournament you can join without restrictions, everyone has their own rules, you can't pretend to change them without a good reason.

Dovee

Youngster
Mati you make a lot of points I agree with but your whole post was ruined with the way you started. When you say the PWO community thinks every latin/brazilian is a hacker thats just stupid. Dont lump everyone together like that.

Onto the main point I think latin tournaments are fine, let communities do w/e they want as long as it doesnt hurt other people.

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
Dovee said:
Mati you make a lot of points I agree with but your whole post was ruined with the way you started. When you say the PWO community thinks every latin/brazilian is a hacker thats just stupid. Dont lump everyone together like that.

Onto the main point I think latin tournaments are fine, let communities do w/e they want as long as it doesnt hurt other people.

Sorry if didn't explained this in the best way, but I think you understand what I meant, I've seen it and I keep seeing it. I didn't mean to put everyone in the same bag, never... not even Dorean if thats how it Sounded. Thanks for the support on my comment.

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
[glow=red] :) Well, I think Mati best explained some points I left to be desired and I believe he is covered in reason. I would like to highlight these points in particular:[/glow]

matileo19 said:
The pwo community thinks that every latin/brazilian playing pwo is a hacker, this is because of the actions of a few
matileo19 said:
One of the reasons they make/made tournaments for Latin-players-only is because the Latins have a very solid and united community
matileo19 said:
most of the latins can't understand/read/speak english properly to follow pwo as they should.