Johto Spawn Testing (give your feedback here!)

Rigaudon

Youngster
We might be able to add a line that "1 is easiest and 5 is hardest" when we update it. That's a solid suggestion.

The main issue is the conversion formula needs to be redone when it comes to the labels. Donar/another DEV would be able to explain this more accurately, but I'll try to leave it as simple as possible without being misleading (take this with a grain of salt; if I'm wrong they can correct me if they so wish).

The old system worked something like 0.1 = common, 0.01 = rare, etc. However, that's not how probability works from map to map when how many Pokemon you have in total varies. It ended up being horribly inaccurate, which is why what was at first a simple "change where Pokemon show up and their rarity within the old system" turned into "redo literally everything."

What we have right now is much more reliable/accurate but also much more complicated; the label system also needs a similar rehaul. From what I understand, for the label system to accurately show rarities, more will have to be redone (potentially requiring more work from me as well in terms of spawn rarity conversions). If we just turned it back on right now, for example, some commons might look like "rares". Or, well, other strange inaccurate labels.

Domani

Why dont you call each tier 1=common 2=uncommon 3=rare 4=very rare 5=horribly rare? That seems to be the issue, no? People npt understanding what "it's a 2nd tier pokemon" means. Or am i totally lost?

I do have a question on the tier system. Is it 15 hours straight of staying on the same map? Like can i go back to town and heal etc. And go back and still have the same chances of catching a tier 5 or does that start my time over?

Also in the wiki ponyta's info is wrong on the kanto page for route 26. It says its easier to catch at night then at the bottom of the block it says on route 26 and 27 its easier to catch during the day.

Edit: also what is the shiny rate anymore? Is it still 1/2048 for members and 1/4096(? Pulling this number from nowhere) for regular players? Or has this been changed to a time based spawn rate as well?

Edit 2: sorry, i keep going to the wiki and reading and asking myself more questions. Are the areas listed in red (spawns) still being worked on? And are we helping by confirming or denying how easy it is to catch said pokemon in each area?

Thanks, sorry im asking so many questions its been a while since I've been here

Rigaudon

Youngster
Why dont you call each tier 1=common 2=uncommon 3=rare 4=very rare 5=horribly rare? That seems to be the issue, no? People npt understanding what "it's a 2nd tier pokemon" means. Or am i totally lost?

Not only are the old names bad in terms of clarity, the estimated times between the new system and old system are completely different. It's misleading in two different and harmful ways.

Edit. I've actually been asked this a lot, so I'm going to add this in case it helps people understand the current system better: Tier 1 means Tier 1. Tier 2 means Tier 2. The old presumptions about the previous system have to be abandoned for this system to make sense. O0 Rare, VR, etc no longer exist as a time range whatsoever.

The times are an estimate based on probability. Out of a billion simulated players, how long did it take the average of them to find the spawn in question? If a billion people spend time in the Power Plant, how long would it roughly take most of them to encounter an Electabuzz? There would be outliers, of course: people who find it in 10 minutes and people who need several extra hours. But the majority? That would be what the rates are based off of. It's the same principle of luck as before. There is no way to increase/decrease your chances of seeing something rare just by entering, leaving, or staying on a map. It is entirely luck-based.

Don't pay attention to the wiki right now for rarities. We're constantly tweaking and updating things currently, so it needs somebody to sit down and do the unpleasant task of "updating literally everything regarding location and rarities." Since nobody is directly responsible for the wiki, it becomes a non-priority or "as you have time" project for everyone involved in PWO. As noted on my changelog, ingame's /list is the most current source for rarity information.

Shiny chance has been untouched.

You can check out my Change Log for details on the spawn project:
http://forum.pokemon-world-online.net/showthread.php?tid=33228

We have two blocks left before this project is roughly complete: the area around Gym 7/8 in Johto and Mt.Silver+Dragons Den.

Domani

Once im able to get ingame again, i plan on helping edit the wiki as i was doing before. I quote enjoyed updating each page so it was as accurate as i could possibly make it.

I understand wanting to veer away from the old verbage to prevent any confusion between new and old players on rarity scale. Ill keep that in mind while hunting for the higher tier pokes.

Rigaudon

Youngster
Help with wiki editing is always adored. Take care, Domani.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Block 7 is now live ingame! Maps updated are:

Route 44
Ice Path 1F, Ice Path B1F, Ice Path B2F
Blackthorn City
Route 45
Dark Cave East

Levels have been raised, spawns changed around slightly in line with the Spawn Project goals.
Glacial Path has been removed completely, though this was done some weeks ago in preparation for this block.

Next up is Dragon's Den and after that Silver Town and Mt. Silver. The end is in sight!

As always please give feedback on any of the changes we've made, and also to the Rarity Tiers which were recently added ingame. This wiki page is currently being worked on explaining those tiers for those interested:

http://pwo-wiki.info/index.php?title=Rarities

parquettistapazzo

Youngster
Thank you very much! Adding the tiers to the /list answer was a good improvement (although sometimes a bit misleading, like with slugmas during the event). I think it is more healthy for the game if we know the chances to find a pokemon

scorpion-inferno

Domani said:
I do have a question on the tier system. Is it 15 hours straight of staying on the same map? Like can i go back to town and heal etc. And go back and still have the same chances of catching a tier 5 or does that start my time over?

Edit: also what is the shiny rate anymore? Is it still 1/2048 for members and 1/4096(? Pulling this number from nowhere) for regular players? Or has this been changed to a time based spawn rate as well?

i'm asking myself those two questions too lol, anyone with a clear answer ? ^^

Edit : And if you wanted to cheat that, like going AFK on the map for 15 hours or more, so that you can spawn a tier 5 when you're back ;D right ? >:D

Rigaudon

Youngster
scorpion_yooy said:
Domani said:

i'm asking myself those two questions too lol, anyone with a clear answer ? ^^

Edit : And if you wanted to cheat that, like going AFK on the map for 15 hours or more, so that you can spawn a tier 5 when you're back ;D right ? >:D

The answer can be found right below the post you quoted. ;)

scorpion-inferno

hello, when i use /list in Dragons Den i can see Tier 1, Tier 2 ... does that mean it's on the new johto spawn system or as the post say it's not ?

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
scorpion_yooy said:
hello, when i use /list in Dragons Den i can see Tier 1, Tier 2 ... does that mean it's on the new johto spawn system or as the post say it's not ?

Dragon's Den and the areas around Silver Town are not yet on the new system, so those tiers will not be accurate. This will be remedied soon when the spawn project reaches them.

Rigaudon

Youngster
The Dragon's Den update includes several quest improvements and a few redesigns, so it takes longer.

vyom12

its been years but i think its time that pwo opens glacial path again

Isguros

Youngster
its been years but i think its time that pwo opens glacial path again
All that Glacial Pass was, was a passageway to get to an event map. reinstating it would serve no purpose, so why are you so determined to have it brought back?