If you were a staff member, how would you contribute?

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I made this out of curiosity. I want to know what motivates people.

Pick at most 3 things from each category that you think you would really enjoy doing. Pick a fourth if you reaaallly can't decide on something.

NOTE: Pick things you would actually like TO DO, not things you want PWO to have. I want to know about you!

Design:
Spawn Design
Permanent Quest Dialogue/Plot (Ex: Battle Tower)
Temporary Quest Dialogue Plot (Ex: Weekend events, Holiday Events)
Music
Art Design
Map Design
Prioritize the existing to-do list
Creating policies
Creating rules
Website Management (EX: playerdex, forums)
Design Quality Assurance (EX: "Will players enjoy having to find a random tree in a forest?" "Will they understand the quest instructions?")

Implementation:
Spawn Calculations
Scripting the NPCs
Programming (Back end: server stability, etc)
Programming (Front end: Graphics, etc)
Testing the Quest
Fixing Map Errors
Adding maps to the game
Helping players during event
Reviewing ban evidence
Fixing sprites/creating spritesheets
Creating website GUI
Implementing music files
Record Keeping (spreadsheets, meeting notes)
Website design (script/programming/etc, I've forgotten the term.)

Community:
Making announcements
Reviewing appeals/reports
Observing the Playerbase
Organizing bug/suggestion list
Answering help posts on forums
Posting monthly summaries on forums (EX: "Here's the to-do list for this month that we agreed on")
Hosting contests
Bug hunting/posting bugs
Gathering feedback from players (survey or otherwise)

Misc:
[Post your own goals/interests here, if you want! Anything I missed or you want to add goes here.]

Design:
Spawn Design
Permanent Quest Dialogue/Plot (Ex: Battle Tower)

Implementation:
Spawn Calculations
Record Keeping (spreadsheets, meeting notes)

Community:
Observing the Playerbase
Posting monthly summaries on forums (EX: "Here's the to-do list for this month that we agreed on")

Misc:

I love spreadsheets and systems. I want data, and I want to write it down for future reference. How often has something happened? How major/intense is it? What does that tell us about a situation? 

Klay

Youngster
Design:
Map Design

Implementation:
Helping players during event (even if I try to do it when I'm online, events on or nah)

Misc:
Finding a way to add Orre (thinking about add Shadow poks, mapping and giving ideas for tiles, thinking about a storyline...)

sorry for the edit, forgot the most important

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
Design:
Spawn Design
Community:
Implementation:
Adding maps to the game

Isguros

Youngster
I wasn't sure if you just wanted a list, so I thought I'd play it safe and explain my choices a bit.

Design:
Design Quality Assurance AKA the Complain Option - It may sound stupid, but if you're able to prevent something like the before mentioned 'find a random tree in a forest' (note: that "quest" happened on more than one occasion), or it's spin-off version 'find a random rock in a cave', and let's not forget the "I've hidden an invisible NPC in a random spot in one of the numerous event maps"... Grand times, grand times.

Temporary Quest Dialogue Plot - The previous topic option choice thing (went back and saw it was being referred to as things, so let's stick to that :)) goes hand in hand with this one if you think about it. I might not be the best in coming up with original ideas, but I'm a rational thinker - and completely in tune with the standard player, at times - which can help me decide which things will work, which things won't, and foremost helps me to guide everything in the preferred direction.

Prioritize the existing to-do list - Speaking of preferred directions.. yeah, another thing that causes I'll eventually will have it my way ;)

Implementation:
Testing the Quest - I love to be a guinea pig. Such care for my fellow players. Much wow.

Fixing Map Errors - I don't have many any skills when it comes to.. literally anything here on this list, but if I'm able to fix the things that personally bother me the most in this game, I would be happy.

Helping players during event - Of course, in a perfect world this shouldn't be necessary, but alas; that just ain't the case. Helping create an event doesn't end when it's accessible for the players, hence guiding players through the difficulties that I - in part - have caused, would be reasonable for me to do.

Community:
Making announcements - The only thing worse than a lack of fun, is having to miss out on the fun.

Organizing bug/suggestion list - As you probably have noticed by my answers and previous interactions: I'm not that fond of chaos.

pikafan25

Design:

Art Design
Map Design
Design QA

Implementation:

Testing the Quest
Fixing/Creating Sprites
Fixing Map errors

Community:

Answering help posts on the forums
Bug hunting/posting
Organising bug/suggestions list

as a side note i'm not interested in being staff however I have worked on various art and media projects before including videogames and these are some of the parts that I enjoy doing the most as I felt the most enjoyment when succeeding in these areas.

Electrofreak

I would post memes and work for the art division drawing ultimate Saric-level art for the game using MS paint.

Wesistopheles

Zebby, is "I'll put annoying spammers in trees and force them off maps" no longer a viable option? because outside on scripting that was all I was good for :L

Cosenza

Design:

-Spawn Design
-Permanent Quest Dialogue/Plot
-Temporary Quest Dialogue Plot

Implementation:

-Adding maps to the game
-Spawn Calculations ( UP )  The tiers system have been frustrating, we need more time to hunt than the old system (comum ,rare ,VR, HR ) 
-Helping players during event

Community:

-Observing the Playerbase

ABDisback

Youngster
Everything in the community section is fine with me except gathering feedback
+Wiki(misc)

ShinyMarill

Design:

Spawn Design
Art Design

Implementation:
Spawn Calculations
Testing the quest or Planning quests

Community:
Making announcements

Misc:
Can't think of anything right now.. I'll edit this once my brain functions. ^^

filipy

Design:

Spawn Design

[size=small]Permanent Quest Dialogue/Plot (Ex: Battle Tower)[/size]

Implementation:

Spawn Calculations
[size=small]Programming (Back end: server stability, etc)[/size]
Scripting the NPCs
HTML

[size=small]Community:[/size]

[size=small]Gathering feedback from players (survey or otherwise)[/size]
Bug hunting/posting bugs

Misc

Divulgation sect

Arenya

Website
www.dezeen.com
I am more interested in the "back of house" stuff - content creation and quality control. I guess it is a reflection on personality - wanting to stay out of the spotlight whilst being creative and having fun with the map design and thinking of all the content (NPC dialogue, spawns etc.) that will go with it. Being able to see the completed product at the end is amazing!

So, here are my answers:

Design:
Map Design (my original and favourite thing to do)
Priorities the existing to-do list (I like organising things)
Design Quality Assurance (and I'm a bit of a control freak)

Implementation:
Adding maps to the game (being the first player to set foot on a map is pretty cool)
Testing the Quest
Spawn calculations

Community:
Making announcements (the final step of content creation it to let everyone know about it)
Hosting contests (it's fun to see all the talent out there)
Posting monthly summaries on forums (I guess this is the organising side coming out again)

luigi55

If I were to try to be a staff member again..

Design: my original hobby whilst playing pwo. Designing maps. I actually miss making maps and having people give feedback on them

Implementation: fixing map errors, spawn calculations, quest implementing. I remember the first ever time I played a personal map on a PWO server. It was an amazing feeling indeed!

Community: making announcements, observing the playerbase, anything to do with interacting with people.

Domani

Design:
Spawn Design
Permanent Quest Dialogue/Plot (Ex: Battle Tower)
Map Design
Website Management (EX: playerdex, forums)
Design Quality Assurance (EX: "Will players enjoy having to find a random tree in a forest?" "Will they understand the quest instructions?")

These are honestly extremely hard to narrow down because I feel like they all coincide with each other... :(

Implementation:
Scripting the NPCs
Fixing Map Errors
Testing the Quest
Adding maps to the game
Helping players during events

Community:
Bug hunting/posting bugs

Misc:
mainly I like to see things working correctly. (tiles on the wrong layer, grammatical errors, scripting bugs, etc.) If the game we have can run smoothly with no errors, I think in a perfect world it would be easier to add new content, because you're not having to constantly fix the current content.

If it wasn't so tedious to report bugs I would do it more often.

Kaminari

Design:

Creating policies
Creating rules
Design Quality Assurance (EX: "Will players enjoy having to find a random tree in a forest?" "Will they understand the quest instructions?")

Implementation:
Testing the Quest

Community:
Making announcements
Observing the Playerbase

As for the choices I've outlined, I have this to say: Most of the experience I have in life can serve well toward these points.

I have good social interaction skills and I have actively worked to hone my perception to be unfettered by bias and to be sure to measure my responses. I do not value the notion of being 'right' beyond what helps a person achieve their goal. When shown a sign of patience with the willingness to learn I'm doggedly determined to help an individual seek resolution. I enjoy seeing to it that players enjoy their experience on the game and relish the opportunity to make it better, in my opinion, I think I have the people skills to actualize this.

Some cons that I can identify in myself as a possible Staff candidate:

I am disabled with PTSD from an abusive father. It has been four years nearly now since the event occurred that inflicted it upon me and I am seeking to find a group cause to apply myself to. I'm not applying with any preconceived notions of what this will entail, but I can say with certainty that I have the spare time to make a difference. It could potentially be a harsh learning curve for me to deal with more disruptive ornery behavior, but I can assure a good college try from my end. I know that I am a new player, and I've yet to properly introduce myself to the community but I view this as the beginning of a long standing community relationship and I would like to offer in return the warmth the community has shown me despite some trials along the way.

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
rarespiderbite said:
Design:

Implementation:

Community:

we already did can you give any post that didn't get helped ? -_-

Klay

Youngster
Ahmed, he means that if he was a staff member, he'd use his staff time to answer to questions and help in both game and forums.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Which is exactly what he says he'd be doing as well. :) Just like other staff members he'd use his time to help players on forums and in game. :D He's not saying the staff members don't do that. LOL

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Design:

Creating policies
Creating rules

Implementation:

Testing the Quest

Reviewing ban evidence

Community:

Reviewing appeals/reports
Observing the Playerbase

Hosting contests

(sorry couldn't narrow this section down anymore than this LOL)
Misc:
Always making sure there is at least some kind of event every month.
Kind of like how I do as a guild master, although only minor, every month there is some sort of event to participate in. No matter if it's a hunt, a tourney, or anything in between, my guild mates always have something to entertain them if they choose to join in. I think this could transfer well to a more massive scale such as the entire active player base.

A great example of this formula is the weekend swarm events. You simply lower the tier for two hours every weekend and the community flat out  loves it! I bet if you were to do a comparison to those two hours combined to the rest of the day I'm sure the increase in player activity would be quite impressive.

So why am I bringing up something that is already being done? Well it's because it make a great base line that can easily be expanded on. If players get so excited over a slight tier increase for just two hours imagine what the reaction would be if that could be built upon. Can you imagine the fun players would have if we did a two week contest to see who could catch a Pokemon of a certain species with the highest combined IVs and give them some kind of token reward? Or over a month span host official gimmick tourneys (tourneys that you can only use a certain level Pokemon, or a certain type, or certain evolution stage) and winner gets a nice token/pd prize or maybe a very rare poke? Or, lets work with the notions of super rare pokes, that brings up another interesting idea.

Why not have a one week long "Elusive Pokemon" spawn. Not sure that would be the best term to describe it but anyway this is my idea, why not have a super rare poke that spawns during certain time frame but make it a very difficult t5 (so difficult it makes Bagon and eevee look like t2's). This could be an unobtainable poke, mythical Pokemon, legendary, or something of the sort. I understand that legendary Pokemon may be far fetched but a very rare gen 3 or  a very rare gen 4 seems quite manageable. This could be a week or so long and do it every few months when an actual typical event isn't plausible.

Anyway, I apologize if this was a bit off subject. I'm also sorry for such a long post, I know it was supposed to be short, sweet, and straight to the point but simplistic responses are not my way I guess. LOL