Game: Updating spawns and rarity rates.

Tecknician

The staff have decided PWO has gotten to the point where the current spawns and rarity rates are no longer healthy for the game. Because of this we have decided to do several things to bring better balance to pokemon encounters including:

- Renaming pokemon rarities. This means no more common/rare/very rare/horrible rare naming system.
- Changing the rates of the different rarities. For example common will no longer have a chance of 1/10, rares will no longer be 1/100, ect. I will provide more information about this below.
- Looking at all the current spawns in game and changing what pokemon are on what map, what rates they are, and possibly the pokemon levels on certain maps (namely Johto).
- We will also be trying to find a more structured system for surfing and fishing spawns. Pokemon that are not fresh water pokemon will no longer be found in fresh water areas for example, or pokemon that should be fish for (Magikarp) will no longer be encounter-able by surfing.

Now more information about the spawn rates.
The old system was only partially disclosed to the players. The staff in the past told players that commons were 1/10, rares 1/100, and VR were 1/1000. This is only the standard rates. The reality is that commons could be any rate > 1/20, Rares any rate between 1/20 and 1/200 and very rares any rate between 1/200 and 1/10,000. Horribly rare pokemon any rates less than 1/10,000.

We originally started to look into this issue when looking further into why vrs were so valueless compared to horrible rares and why rares only had value when they were shiny otherwise they are about as valuable as common pokemon. It was decided that this was not a balance system that we wanted and viewed it as any normal pokemon that wasn't shiny had either 2 categories: Common(not hard to get) and horrible rare (extremely hard to get). As such we set out to re-look at the rates to find ranges that we feel would bring a better balance. As we can not test what we decided on we will need you to help us test over the next year. We will no longer be using standard rates. Pokemon will have rates that spawn the entire range of their rarity category, so one "Rare" pokemon will not have the same rate as another. We may disclose the numbers for the rates after testing and only after to prevent premature conclusions by players.

Likewise we have decided to change the naming system because we felt it was not only misleading, but without changing the naming system players won't adapt to the new system. For example on how it is misleading the rarity "rares" is commonly believed by vets to not be that rare and misleads new players about how difficult and valuable pokemon of that category is.

This will take time, it will not be done over night, so please be patient with us as we continue to make the game more enjoyable and balance for everyone.

PS: Feel free to type /list in game.

anderklismann

I want to be more clear in your explanation. The probability of catching Rares, Very Horrible and rare was increased? The old system was rather pleasing, and now the players are clueless about this new sitema.

Tecknician

anderklismann said:
I want to be more clear in your explanation. The probability of catching Rares, Very Horrible and rare was increased?
No.

It's kinda out intention to make the players "confuse" per say.

If we switched to the new system right away, players would just continue to use the old system. And wrongly. We hope by the time the spawns are all updated players will be more ready to adopt a new naming system.

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
[glow=red]From now I think PWO economy will change again. I hope this update can render the game better than before. I especially liked to know of surfing and fishing spawns's future upgrades. I'm also really excited for test the new system and other changes. Thanks for your job, Staff. :) [/glow]

SpartacusBrah

I'm glad I found a game that is worked on and patched. Cheers from Misc, Happy Hollidays!!

vergarux

Did you already change the rarity? or just the name of the rarity shown by the /list command?

Stank

Youngster
vergarux said:
Did you already change the rarity? or just the name of the rarity shown by the /list command?
Judging by the fact that Teck said they were trying to confuse the players to make them forget the old system my guess is they aren't going to answer this question seriously

Personally i think this is a great idea, and it is something that has needed fixing for a long time...

Removing the names from /list is a great way for players to be forget the old system while subconsciously teaching them new system

drvirus

any MMORPG needs something like this, where things can take days just to hunt 1, if there wasnt people will end up with nothing to do and get bored with the game, i didnt understand exactly how you plan on changing the system, but maybe renaming them as a star system 1-5 would be nice?

or wait do you mean you are planning to change the system to become either common or HR?

as for the fishing/surfing system, if you are planning to change it, you are going to need to add some new and better rods, since the 1 we have now is soooo depressing :S

over all i like change, as long as the idea of having pokes take days to hunt stays in game :)

Stank

Youngster
i dont think the staff ideas are to make anything easier. If i have read correctly its just meant to balance things out more

I also don't think they are going to be explaining things any more, I believe for this new system to work fully we need to forget the current rarity system, and removing the /list info will force us to do so

mhanth4f

I'm supporting this one.. it sounds better for me also I hope it would decrease the number of arrogant player whos saying that certain pokemon are easy to catch and not that rare or hard to catch while some newbies are trying hard to catch it and still not getting it.
Also I'm looking forward for the pokemon levels update on certain map.. some people are confused of where to train their pokemon to get ready for the next gym battle I believe.

Merse

Youngster
Great updates staff, thank you.
I'm looking forward to see how the market will react to these news.

Tecknician

drvirus said:
any MMORPG needs something like this, where things can take days just to hunt 1, if there wasnt people will end up with nothing to do and get bored with the game, i didnt understand exactly how you plan on changing the system, but maybe renaming them as a star system 1-5 would be nice?

or wait do you mean you are planning to change the system to become either common or HR?

as for the fishing/surfing system, if you are planning to change it, you are going to need to add some new and better rods, since the 1 we have now is soooo depressing :S

over all i like change, as long as the idea of having pokes take days to hunt stays in game :)
I am looking into different ways to make certain parts of the game more.. pleasant. Unfortunately there is no client development support so I am limited to what can be done via the server and more importantly what I know can be done via the server.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
The market shouldn't matter so much in this matter. Most importantly, if this is going to be done it can be assumed that some pokes will have their encounter rate either raised or lowered. I would implore you to think carefully about which ones to do this with, as some of the existing pokemon should be kept as goal pokemon, and some I feel aren't rare enough as they are, while few other pokemon I feel should have their rarity lowered. Never mind talk about which categories they'll be in, focus on what the numbers are instead for any discussion to eliminate confusion.

nemo55

All I got to say is that prices of pokemon are determined by IVs mostly. You can change the rarity and alter the whole spawning scene but at the end of the day it still boils down to IVs. Anyways like you said this change is not instintanious and will possibly take a full year to take full effect. And now I sit here and think to myself. The commited players will go through this time of change and will have all these pokemons which were once say "easily obtainable". Of course there will also be newer players...analyzing all this I get the sense that the rich will get richer and the poor poorer. My gut feeling doesnt really feel all too well about this idea or maybe Im just just not used to change. With that said I have a few questions.

1) How exactly sure are you that this will work?

2) What would happen to old players and the new players with this new system implemented.

3) How do we find an equilibrium in this new system for the PWO economy?

Its also good to see Teck busy with the game attempting to improve the system. And for that Im sure we are all thankful. I hope it works out well.

sammdoun

well it will be harder for a collector to finish all his pkdx but i like the new fishing and surfing spawn

Tecknician

nemo55 said:
1) How exactly sure are you that this will work?

2) What would happen to old players and the new players with this new system implemented.

3) How do we find an equilibrium in this new system for the PWO economy?

Its also good to see Teck busy with the game attempting to improve the system. And for that Im sure we are all thankful. I hope it works out well.
All good questions and I am not going to sugar coat my replies.
1) a lot of this is theory base with only a few past experience and feedback from players to guide us. This is why we have you, you are suppose to do our live testing. I had been taking notice of how people view past common rare and very rare categories and its obvious they simply are not balanced.

I do not believe there is that much risk involved. What's the worst that could happen? Pokemon prices change dramatically? That's ok because it's not being cause by inflation.

2) I expect a lot of this to provide more benefit to older players because they already have some Pokemon. What do they physically stand to loose? Not much on the other hand they stand to gain a lot possibly due to some of their Pokemon increasing in value, yet others may decrease as well. Overall I do not believe this will have as much of a change on the economy and Pvp scene as it will on how players view certain maps and hunting for Pokemon.

3) as I said I do not believe it will have that much effect on the economy. If anything I would predict the supply of average Pokemon desired will go down while demand increase. Likewise I believe players will encounter more valuable Pokemon that they may not specifically be looking for ;)

sammdoun

i hope also there will be new pokemon in johto
maybe adding some 3 or 4 gen pok

PS : wiki will have a lot of work to do :p