Game: /list is not being removed!

Tecknician

Unfortunately the topic: Removal of /list found here http://forum.pokemon-world-online.net/showthread.php?tid=29191 has caused a fair amount of worry to the community. I feel I owe an explanation to everyone to clear up a lot of misunderstandings.

Removing the /list command was never a serious suggestion nor was it talked about in detail among the staff members and is no way connected to the current /list using unknown as the rarity display. It was in a spur of the moment topic where I wondering what kind of discussion would come of it. Hence the reason for having very few words in my first post. It was a complete "what if" topic.

Unfortunately do to me being an ADMIN it was taken as something more serious than it was meant to be, and this saddens me. I have learned I can't make "what if" topics because of being taken to serious and not producing what I want which is a light hearted discussion.

I assure you /list is not being removed, nor has been in any real consideration for removal.

pieoffury

Some people may have misunderstood that it was planned to remove /list rather than it was still being decided upon. Good news is, /list is staying because it makes PWO unique compared to other MMO games. I'm fine with the unknown rarity for all pokemon compared to the old common, rare, very rare, and horribly rare concept because it adds to the thrill of the hunt. Seeing as the unknown rarity is pushing through and will soon be completed, I see the /list function to display basically a list of the pokemon available in the area without their rarities. Rarity wouldn't really matter, but knowing the catchable pokemon in an area is a huge plus to PWO :)

mhanth4f

Empress Teck said:
Removing the /list command was never a serious suggestion nor was it talked about in detail among the staff members and is no way connected to the current /list using unknown as the rarity display. It was in a spur of the moment topic where I wondering what kind of discussion would come of it. Hence the reason for having very few words in my first post. It was a complete "what if" topic.

Empress Teck said:
There's been a discussion among the staff for several years about the removal of the /list command.

So discuss.

Well I don't know, its not like you cant make a "what if" topic. Its just not clear if its a "what if" topic. None even know what if its a "what if" topic, or what if its a real topic.

LunaticJames

Content maker
mhanth4f said:
Empress Teck said:

Empress Teck said:
There's been a discussion among the staff for several years about the removal of the /list command.

So discuss.

Well I don't know, its not like you cant make a "what if" topic. Its just not clear if its a "what if" topic. None even know what if its a "what if" topic, or what if its a real topic.

Would like to point out for clarification that: 'Talking about it' vs 'Talking about it in detail' are not the same thing.

Fionavara

You can do "what if" topics as much as you want, but the name of the topic "removal of /list" was formulated in a way that could easily be misunderstood.
We discussed and we gave our opinion and now you and everyone else that think or wondered if that is a unless and not needed command for us players to learn that we want it and we use it and we need it and we like it.
We gave other options and we discussed these options and gave suggestions.
Now you know.
Glad I still get the chance to see what pokes I can hunt for.

Tecknician

mhanth4f said:
Empress Teck said:

Empress Teck said:

So discuss.

Yes, I should have clarified better what was going on, I apologize.

In short we had what we think is a problem with /list in that it provides too much information and gives the players too much assumptions. Removal of /list was the dramatic solution to the issue while renaming the rarity labels to a different, but similar issue was the more minor solution.

Shiningamisgirl

Lol! I honestly think it was all okay. Apparently people tend to forget that this 'game' is a GAME. To be played, for fun. Whether you play it 24/7 or on occasion, it's still a game. I don't know if it really worried anyone that badly? Unless it did? Either way, whether you meant it all in jest, or just to be light-hearted/fun. You definitely did get to hear the opinion of the community. Even if you never, not even in your wildest dreams, meant to touch /list. I think that we all enjoyed getting to let you guys know how we feel about certain things. How we would react to updates, changes, etc. You certainly got a lot of constructive opinions! It was engaging, it produced a lot of feedback, it definitely got people talking! etc etc.

We didn't get that it was a purely 'what if' topic. I don't think that it should have been a 'what if' topic. These changes, what you guys ideas are in regards to making this game better for the community, needs to be talked about.

If it was really just a joke thread, would we have responded to it at all? Just watching us discuss, for the sake of discussion, when said discussion will have no effect on anything. Well that's nice n' all but...Speculations Forum :) Definitely Speculations forum! "Will the Staff let you people keep /list or not? Tell us why we should/shouldn't rip it away from you!!" Annnnddd discuss!

I know people definitely talked about more than /list in that topic anyways. Lotsa good stuff, even if there was some crazy panic! Hope you all enjoy you're holidays!

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
[glow=red]Actually, I believe that any point of discussion initiated by a member of staff will be taken as seriously. I don't know if this is good or bad. But anyway I like the way things are planned considering the views of the whole community. Thanks for your initiatives and decisions.[/glow]

Saric

Youngster
Honestly I would just remove the rarity listing from it. Yes there was never this option in the main games, but at least the pokedex was useable and functional..something that the playerdex cant really achieve with PWO (and I doubt fixing and editing the current one can be done right now). The backlash was there I feel mostly because there is no other practical way to see which pokes are in a specific area, as well as that new players would be a bit out of luck unless they ask an experienced player.

Merse

Youngster
I think it was a great topic, and it really worth it to circulate ideas in the community, no matter whose idea it is. I would encourage Teck to share any idea she has, just express it absolutely clearly if it is only an idea or a survey for an idea.

PhantomsCV

I wouldn't mind event maps not being able to "/list" like the Cinnabar area is right now because of the amount of players that are in the area makes it so that it's a little easier to decipher.

I would also like to see that when you are in a new map it shows up as ?????? so if it's your first time on Route 1 it would say....

Route 1
1. ????????????- (Common)
2. ???????????? - (Common)
Once you found the Pokemon they would show up in the /list function.

rainbowromper

Empress Teck said:
mhanth4f said:
Empress Teck said:

Empress Teck said:

So discuss.

Yes, I should have clarified better what was going on, I apologize.

In short we had what we think is a problem with /list in that it provides too much information and gives the players too much assumptions. Removal of /list was the dramatic solution to the issue while renaming the rarity labels to a different, but similar issue was the more minor solution.

I don't post much and I'm afraid I missed most of this discussion. So just a couple thoughts on the /list command. As a newer player, I use the command constantly and find it extremely helpful. I accumulated a good bit of time played shortly, most of it spent daycaring, so I had constant encounters. I can only imagine the even newer players, who don't realize how hard some pokes are to find. Say they get to the safari zone, and use /list. Well what do you know, there's togepi and eevee here! So they keep entering it again and again, because they don't know there is a 1/10000+ chance of finding them. Or even worse. What about the people killing or running from (HR's) because they don't realize that's what it is. I know I did it a couple times (before I realized just how rare they were).
I just don't see how the command gave people too much information, as was stated. It gave you the names of Pokes in an area, and a very rough and general estimate on how likely you were to encounter them. In short, nothing more than the wiki does. So what's wrong with that? It's not like it gives anyone an unfair advantage. So then what, remove it (or rarities from it) because people make assumptions? To me, that is the dumbest reason I've ever heard given for anything (no offense.) People will make assumptions no matter what. About whatever they choose. Furthermore, I fail to see how assumptions made off the /list could possibly impact the game enough that staff would feel the need to remove or alter a command that is helpful to players. Actually, I'm failing to see what assumptions could be made at all. How likely they are to find a poke? That's why they are GENERAL rarity tags, which is common knowledge. But even if they didn't know that, anyone with a basic grasp of math would realize that a VR in one place wouldn't have the same odds as a VR in another place, if for no other reason than the pokes available.
So I might as well end where I started. I don't post or read the forums as much as I should, so most of my info comes from staff in-game. All I can say is, staff REALLY needs to get on the same page. I don't trust information unless it comes from staff, so I love how all of you say something different. I've heard so many stories regarding the /list command, all from staff, and all different. Do you not communicate with each other?

Shiningamisgirl

Beat a dead horse why dontcha.Also Teck is staff, heck there are a lot of staff! There's a list on the wiki and in other places if you need to know who is and is not staff. Of course there are different lvls, and areas of staf. Devs, Cg's, Admins, Mappers. They all work for the same thing, but they're all different departments. Really, asking that question is very much like asking "don't our governing politicians communicate with each other?" Sure they do! They may not all agree though, or have the same opinion, idea, plans..etc. Either way I'm glad that this all did get a discussion, it was fun, and worthy of being discussed!

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
So far the only thing that has been decided is not to remove the /list function. Anything else you here from staff or players is just speculation at this point.