Epic, Uber, Horrible

Dovee

Youngster
Trade chat in game and forums are horrible with these terms.

Your pokemon is not uber or epic if its defense or special defense is under 10 IV
Just because your pokemon is max speed does not make it epic
Your wasting other peoples time by calling your pokemon epic or uber, when they see IVs they realize it was a waste
"Selling epic snorlax"... checks out stats. 10 hp...what...... 15 defense.... what...... 30 speed.... are you serious.
You guys are nerfing these terms by applying them to your bad pokemon.
Please stop.

-end rant

Kandan7

the lord has spoken. pls listen, pwo's market is getting worse by the day... ty for the good post dove

Abox-

Website
forums.d2jsp.org
Granted I'm not good with prices, but I know a couple people who usually are. And I myself can kinda determine a pokes worth.
I've been away for so long that I'm still not used to this market.
But I've been thinking it would really help the community if a price guide, or even a basic one (Starters are 300k at the lowest and go up from there depending on IV's, HRs are 1mil at the lowest and go up from there etc etc.) I think it would really help to stabilize the economy, even for a short while or even in the long run.
Any ideas on this??

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Question: do you believe setting guidelines for prices would have a negative influence on the economy? The economy operates on a free pricing system, whereby prices are meant to be determined by the players, and setting a guideline could cause a perception that it is "official", thereon adding an element to price-appraisal beyond the supply-and-demand dynamics.

For prices, I think most would agree that it should be determined by traders by themselves, as they have the most economical know-how. Even for the most active traders, there still are differing opinions on the value of a Pokemon, thus there could easily be discrepancies between any official set prices and the opinions of common traders.

Saric

Youngster
AboxofWater said:
Granted I'm not good with prices, but I know a couple people who usually are. And I myself can kinda determine a pokes worth.
But I've been thinking it would really help the community if a price guide, or even a basic one (Starters are 300k at the lowest and go up from there depending on IV's, HRs are 1mil at the lowest and go up from there etc etc.) I think it would really help to stabilize the economy, even for a short while or even in the long run.
Any ideas on this??
Seeing as how prices constantly fluctuate, it's neither practical nor possible to set a baseline price for these things. If it were to be done, it would have to be constantly tweaked to keep up with trends and updates.
Also, if the tweaks would not be done, it would hinder price fluctuation and effectively put a wall on the economy.

Dovee

Youngster
This topic has nothing to do with prices, those change too much.
The IVs of a pokemon will not change so the terms associated with the IVs should also not change and should remain rather consistent.
So many people toss terms around like its nothing when really they have a bad pokemon.

Abox-

Website
forums.d2jsp.org
Saric said:
AboxofWater said:
Any ideas on this??
Seeing as how prices constantly fluctuate, it's neither practical nor possible to set a baseline price for these things. If it were to be done, it would have to be constantly tweaked to keep up with trends and updates.
Also, if the tweaks would not be done, it would hinder price fluctuation and effectively put a wall on the economy.

Creobis said:
Question: do you believe setting guidelines for prices would have a negative influence on the economy? The economy operates on a free pricing system, whereby prices are meant to be determined by the players, and setting a guideline could cause a perception that it is "official", thereon adding an element to price-appraisal beyond the supply-and-demand dynamics.

For prices, I think most would agree that it should be determined by traders by themselves, as they have the most economical know-how. Even for the most active traders, there still are differing opinions on the value of a Pokemon, thus there could easily be discrepancies between any official set prices and the opinions of common traders.

I agree with both of you, there would be a negative downside as there is with all things. And I wasn't suggesting a set price per say (sorry if it came out that way) I was merely suggesting a general guideline that people could refer to.
We all know, at least what I've seen, ratata are roughly 50k, starters ranging from 200-300k going upwards depending on lvl etc etc. Dratinis roughly 1m (Which I think with the time it usually takes to find an HR, should be the lowest price of one :s)
And of course the seller could chose to sell for higher or lower depending on how they feel it should be worth. My suggestion is merely to put in place/suggest a general guide that can be referred to to get an idea of what a poke is worth. I'm not saying I would. But if I did try and put together something like this I would ask a lot of people about prices (what they buy/sell certain pokes for) or even create a poll on the forums and advertise it in game to get as much of the communities input as possible. Idk was just a thought I've been having.

Dovee said:
This topic has nothing to do with prices, those change too much.
The IVs of a pokemon will not change so the terms associated with the IVs should also not change and should remain rather consistent.
So many people toss terms around like its nothing when really they have a bad pokemon.

Dovee sorry for suggesting this in your thread, I just felt it was loosely connected to the terms.

Merse

Youngster
There is a definition of Epic and Uber on the PWO wiki. I think it's outdated, but it is true, that nowadays everyone screams epic, if he sees one or two pinkish IV, regardless of its importance. Then they are outraged when you don't want to pay the price they demand for it, and of course you're the noob.
I personally think something should be done with that. I doesn't mean enforcement, but informing the players about these things or something similar.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Is it possible to define these terms more concretely? They all involve comprising IVs with some level of viability, specifically the IVs that are important to a Pokemon. Whether the IVs for the stat are consequential or inconsequential are entirely dependent on what the Pokemon is commonly matched up against, and such trends are subjective and dynamic. Since it's hard to cover the totality of circumstances, legitimate confusion for this terminology arises.

Subjective or not, it does not mean a bigger consensus can't be drawn on its definition. Do you believe it's possible to define these terms in detail that the better part of traders/battlers can agree with, so there is a more clear understanding on it?

Nikola

Youngster
-Battlers and traders were always two different worlds. Traders are circulating PWO goods, while battlers are more connected with their Pokemon drawing last atom of power out of them which can been seen by battling. It would be normal that those two will mix up terms such as uber/epic. As a battler I am totally disappointed how those terms are being used. If I am selling max speed, uber rest Pokemon (uber vital stats among others) that would mean that I am selling really epic Pokemon. For me, every Pokemon without max speed (even with 5 max stats) doesn't belong among apex predators. Hence seeing 30IV circulating around hands like a $10 bill. Don't be deceived, epic can be also 30 IV Spd Pokemon soon as it's pseudo shiny. This is how epic Pokemon should look like: http://bit.ly/11QkLLR . Take first and second Dragonite, guess which one worth's more to a battler?

-Uber and Epic are often mixed up by a person who is selling certain Pokemon since they want achieve good price. But well, it's kinda funny sometimes. I saw dozen of times someone saying: "Sell max speed ,max Sp.Atk Tauros epic stats PM me" while Atk is like 5IV..sigh. I am going to throw my 2 cents here by showing my opinion about those and pretty sure many battlers are having the same opinion.

Epic max speed: http://bit.ly/14ryQ7C
Epic: http://bit.ly/11QkLLR
Uber max speed: http://bit.ly/104wT1E
Uber: http://bit.ly/14O8dGK
Horrible: http://bit.ly/104x5Oi

Fionavara

loooling hard reading this thread.
Yea really, new players shouldn't use the terms at all. It's very funny as a non trader, non battler to see these "so-called" epic and uber pokes, just watching it makes it seem every poke caught is a epic or uber one.
sadly I doubt the newbies and noobs that use these terms as soon as they see an IV stat above 25 will listen to you old wise dogs of war-n-trade.
But hopefully some who are tricked to buy these unwanted "uber-epics" will understand that there is a diffrence, and the terms shouldn't be used by people not knowing and understanding that diffrence.

The-Predator

Youngster
problem in here is that some new players out there are misinformed about what are the right stats for each pokemon, I personally have been insulted by new players that I asked for IVs on their "epic" pokemon, and turns out their pokemon is being only 1 30 IV stat in the wrong place, i mean why the hell a snorlax or a tauros needs max spatk??, when i ask em so, i end up being a noob for them, but anyway the current trade channel status is horrible, there are cheapstakes and misinformed players, an auction house is needed regardless we only talking about IVs and not prices, auction house would prevent the window stats glitch, would prevent scams, would prevent waste of time talking with misinformed players which is the main reason i think dovee made this topic

Raimu_fox25

I have an Idea its a massive undertaking alot of time consumed and all in all wouldnt really amount to much outside of knowledge.

Would someone be willing to say go through all 250 aprox pokemon and write down what stats matter in this form

Snorlax: Phys attack, Defense, Spdefense (I dont know the pokemon so i dont know what stats are needed)

also to add onto this maybe someone can partner up with another like Trader and a battler get together on it toss Ideas around and then post it. Or even make it a community project.

Just overall getting the information out there because I am Honestly curious what makes Uber uber what makes epic epic and all that and i have no base to go off of It also might help solve the dilemma of the Economy tanking a bit because of people throwing it around.

Rafayel

when i started playing i was always confused as to what the difference was between uber and epic, and which was better. The main reason for the confusion was because of everyone else having their own opinion on whether their pokemon was epic/uber, and so newbs think that is how they are classified (meaning one or two 30 iv stats, irrespective of which stat, is deemed epic). I think it was wiki, or an experienced player, who told me that epic would be any pokemon that has AT LEAST 3 stats with over 28 ivs, in the RIGHT stats (and 15+ other stats), and uber would be generally 20+ ivs in the right stats. This for me summed it up pretty well, but i only completely understood what "right stats" meant after battling a fair bit. So really only a person who has around 100 battles maybe would know what epic and uber is. I'm pretty sure anyone knows what horrible is, and just doesnt want to acknowledge the fact so as to sell their pokemon faster/for more.

jazo91

POW is much better then pokemon omega or games like that online just its to often down :/ i hope that will be fixed soon :)))))

The-Predator

Youngster
jazo91 said:
POW is much better then pokemon omega or games like that online just its to often down :/ i hope that will be fixed soon :)))))

EPIC off topic ._.!!

Kojin~

You guys could create a guide teaching newbies (like me) what is Uber, Epic and OK pokemons for Battle and for Trade... Something like "[GUIDE] Learning about IVs for TRADE" and for BATTLE. It would help interested people who want to learn.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
The only thing stopping people from making a guide such as what has been mentioned in this topic is effort, if someone wants to make it badly enough they will find a way ;)