Battle adjustments thread.

psychosamm

Youngster
Yeah andrewle, first of all memento has been fixed, and second of all even if your salamence's attack is lowered it could still learn a special fire attack like flamethrower through TMs. That goes for all pokemon, most people would get rid of their stat boosting moves in order to replace them with a special/physical mix, because aqua tail may not one hit steelix when you have lowered attack, but surf sure as heck will. This goes for a myriad of other situations as well, it adds variety and prevents excessive boosting.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
andrewle said:
I know but my opponent in my example is using firefang and I mentioned that I used memento read it again will you so it doesn't matter if a pokemon was able to learn tm once you used memento and other stat decrese it is still useless

You clearly need to be explained the difference between physical and special moves.

kaiser6tn said:
With tms both sala and drago could run a mixed set though which means memento wouldn't be as harmful. Some other pokemon could fit into that mixed set role with tms, which would otherwise be impossible due to current moveset limitations.

A mixed set would be a set containing both physical and special moves (and I'm not even going to mention how your example is outdated now, as eco pointed out). Memento affects attack. Now if tms were available, some pokes that currently are 'locked' into physical sets because of the moves they learn naturally would be able to use a mixed set if both atk and sp.atk base stats are good enough for that (some examples include arca, drago, sala, ttar...), which means they could use a move that relied on special attack to circumvent the attack drop in a way, not to mention the increasement of coverage and damage options.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
Creobis said:
Although you mentioned in the first post why you believe this is an inopportune time to accommodate for switching, you did not really elaborate on why it is less ideal for such changes to be made as opposed to the current problems players see with the metagame (eg: a cycle of stat-raising moves until one concedes). I am still curious to ask why you believe this alternative scheme would be be worse than the current problems mentioned with the battle system trends?

Regarding the potential imbalance: as long as people regard the handheld game battle system as the conventional standard for a balanced battle system, those standards will not be sated until the battle system is developed on a full-scale, as many have already mentioned. There are differing opinions on the best route to take, depending on which is more feasible to implement than other details of the battle system, but regardless, any change that comes short of a flawlessly intricate battle system will most likely cause imbalance/dissatisfaction somewhere, especially without other features developed to complement them—which, unfortunately, is not workable to implement them all at once.

Moreover, even if changes are inherently flawed while the system is incomplete, it is still crucial to put thought into which one would promote the most balance compared to other changes that could be added before it.

More so than me being more opposed to switching implemented without proper preparations than having stat moves as a problem I'd rather not have both problems on hand instead one one preventable problem. With switching implemented and no other action taken there will be two sides, or a lose/lose situation. On the one hand you'll have the switching fanatics who use the lack of defensive maneuvers to their advantage (which people will surely complain about), and on the other you'll have people battling without switching being a pre established condition where these long back and forth battles continue. Though I will say this, it's very very simple to avoid those situations in the following two manners:
A- Do not use pokemon susceptible to these situations, think carefully about your team and adapt. If you're unwilling to get into those battles of time find a way around them.
B- Don't battle people who have a history of subjecting themselves to those battles as the aggressor.

To be fair it's pretty simple to say "B99 no switching" however there will still be those trolls who purposefully disobey your requests, tournaments that cater exclusively to switching, and those who have not planned well and when in a bind will break the agreement if it's no longer generally taboo. Those people would now be avoided as well, further complicating what should be an easy process of sending and accepting battle requests.

Another point I'd like to bring up is the issue of time, as everyone that was nagging about these battles of will was for the most part annoyed about the length of those redundant battles. If the solution is switching then without some of these defensive maneuvers the battles will certainly go on for a much longer amount of time just as frequently, if not more frequently than the current situation of back and forth status move spamming regardless of the ability to hit the pokemon that is switched in on that turn, as I've pointed out certain pokemon are rendered almost completely useless against others.

In regard to the handheld game battle system as the conventional standard for a balanced battle system- while I know it's impossible for us to be fully functioning within any reasonably close amount of time we still can achieve relative balance. I suppose the most popular way of testing this has been do first and get feedback later (usually involving whining or other methods that the staff apparently find distasteful) however I'd like to see a change in that, though I suppose that's what the thread is entirely about. This is the reasoning behind implementing the defensive methods of switching BEFORE it becomes the norm in battle, as those moves will cause virtually no imbalance without a reason to equip them. There are a myriad of options available to deal with the current problem, and only one is apparently almost completely nonviable (PP).

If balance is to be the most desired aspect of any solutions I will say this, the pre-stat boost battle system seemed at a better equilibrium and it was offset even more when dual stage increase/decreases made it into the game. This is largely in part to 2-3 pokemon taking advantage of the ability to boost both attack and speed. Though I would not want to go back to pre-stat boosts as I feel it's a necessary part of progress even if it was implemented without proper preparation, if these 2-3 pokemon cannot be temporarily nerfed for some reason despite PWO's history of easily nerfing multiple pokemon (ie: tauros, slaking, dragonite) only until more moves can be added at a convenient time for the staff... then the thought process is simply incomprehensible to me and I would apologize for my long winded stupidity.

Tecknician

Here's my thoughts going forward.

The battle system can't handle adjustments efficiently that only affects a small number of moves/situations. This includes things like transform and the various entry hazards.

For me, I am most worried about implementing things that have a broad, deep effect or is relatively easy. For example stat changing moves, switching fix.

That leaves me with these things that can be added:
- Increase stat changing moves functionality. Multi stats effected mainly.
- Healing, recoil moves. Have tried this before had issues with client/server staying sync.
- TMs. There will be some limits, I will discuss them with the staff see what they thing then present the option to you.
- Priority moves should be possible, but this was apparently causing bugs in the system before.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
That'd be awesome to have any of those added, I'm sure I can speak for everyone discussing this when I say thanks for considering all our viewpoints and trying to make things better for us. I will say this though, in regard to moves like dragon dance, and shell smash working correctly... they would probably be best done after priority moves are implemented if possible.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
I personally don't think that fixing switching could possibly cause more problems than are currently ingame due to people switching regardless of the player implemented rule. There is constant name calling and swearing and regular meltdowns in battle channel due to this and stallers. Stallers can't be stopped currently but if switching can be fixed why is there so much opposition to it? At least when the 'noobs' switch on you they wouldn't get a free hit in on you how can that be bad?

I say if the switching fix works well keep it and let the battlers decide themselves if they want to keep it. That's how it's supposed to be in eventually and if we can have it now we should- it effects all of the game not just PvP. Make the improvements as and when you can (within reason) and let the battle testing sort them out over a decent period of time, not just a few days. Just give it a better chance of integration into the game before deciding against it.

I just think that fixing switching was an awesome improvement to the game and not having it in knowing it can work would be very disappointing.

HOF69

Here's a nice little example of one of the problems currently faced in the PWO battle system regarding Dragonite and Scizor boosting:

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb360/HOF69/1.png

Anyone familiar with the battle system knows that Swampert's only viable attack to use on Dragonite is Growl in order to prevent it from boosting to god-like status. This junk went on for over 20 minutes (and would've been longer had the server not crashed). If I were to choose anything but Growl with my Swampert, that's like forfeiting the battle. Of course, this isn't the only example of this stalling by Dragonite and Scizor users. Another example would be a Pokemon like Metagross using Scary face to prevent Scizor from boosting with Agility, and the back-and-forth just goes on and on and on.

I can think of three solutions to this absurd stalling and boosting problem: 1) remove Swords Dance from Scizor and Dragon Dance from Dragonite (as suggested earlier in this topic), 2) put TMs and HMs in game, which allows the Pokemon that Dragonite and Scizor currently take advantage of to fight back (e.g. Swampert can learn Ice Beam), or 3) everyone accepts the idea of being able to switch in battle. It's ridiculous that anyone should have go through these dragged-out battles. It's one thing to have a lengthy battle, it's another when your opponent refuses to attack you even though his or her Pokemon can easily win the matchup.

andrewle

i didnt know memento was fix, but using growl (other pokemon) and memento (another pokemon again to sacrifice) shouldn't overlook Salamence could even up things but how about arcanine snorlax muk and other pokemons would they be able to do the same? What I'm implying is the OP boost i searched the net i just found out in the handhelds every boost will give a pokemon 50% addition in stat but in our current battle system it look like it is 100% addition in stat in short in every boost the stat is doubled. So it enable pokemons to boost a lot of power in a short time before they fainted in the handhelds pokemon will faint before they will reach such power boost to be able to take down the whole team. I know this is PWO it shouldnt be like in the handhelds but it is the players always nagging about "in the handheld is like this, in the handheld is like that" (im not saying anyone in particular so calm your horses) but i think they might be right on this like for HOF's example if we were to reduce the boost to 50%, Dragonite need at least 8 boost to be unstoppable (6 dragondance and 2 agility)(currently in our battle system 3 dragondance and 1 agility) in those 8 turn it is more than enough for Swampert to kill Dragonite using take down (5-6 hits). I don't know if someone already pointed this out but it worth a shot and i think that it might be the one that we are missing. But i am not implying that TM shouldn't implemented it would be nice if there is something new in the game and as everyone said Salamence and Swampert will be able to fight back in case they were about to be boosted on but i was just wondering if the other pokemon can do the same like for example is snorlax it has a very weak special attack not mentioning it is hard enough to get a pokemon with high attack and speed as a battler and when TM's implemented it would be a lot harder to get a pokemon with also high special attack..

The-Predator

Youngster
Tecknician said:
Here's my thoughts going forward.

The battle system can't handle adjustments efficiently that only affects a small number of moves/situations. This includes things like transform and the various entry hazards.

For me, I am most worried about implementing things that have a broad, deep effect or is relatively easy. For example stat changing moves, switching fix.

That leaves me with these things that can be added:
- Increase stat changing moves functionality. Multi stats effected mainly.
- Healing, recoil moves. Have tried this before had issues with client/server staying sync.
- TMs. There will be some limits, I will discuss them with the staff see what they thing then present the option to you.
- Priority moves should be possible, but this was apparently causing bugs in the system before.

all of these updates would be awesome, however as for the current problem with battle system, the more reasonable way to complement stat changes would be TM´s and healing/recoil moves, please go ahead and talk to other staff members

pokearcanine

andrewle said:
i didnt know memento was fix, but using growl (other pokemon) and memento (another pokemon again to sacrifice) shouldn't overlook Salamence could even up things but how about arcanine snorlax muk and other pokemons would they be able to do the same? What I'm implying is the OP boost i searched the net i just found out in the handhelds every boost will give a pokemon 50% addition in stat but in our current battle system it look like it is 100% addition in stat in short in every boost the stat is doubled. So it enable pokemons to boost a lot of power in a short time before they fainted in the handhelds pokemon will faint before they will reach such power boost to be able to take down the whole team. I know this is PWO it shouldnt be like in the handhelds but it is the players always nagging about "in the handheld is like this, in the handheld is like that" (im not saying anyone in particular so calm your horses) but i think they might be right on this like for HOF's example if we were to reduce the boost to 50%, Dragonite need at least 8 boost to be unstoppable (6 dragondance and 2 agility)(currently in our battle system 3 dragondance and 1 agility) in those 8 turn it is more than enough for Swampert to kill Dragonite using take down (5-6 hits). I don't know if someone already pointed this out but it worth a shot and i think that it might be the one that we are missing. But i am not implying that TM shouldn't implemented it would be nice if there is something new in the game and as everyone said Salamence and Swampert will be able to fight back in case they were about to be boosted on but i was just wondering if the other pokemon can do the same like for example is snorlax it has a very weak special attack not mentioning it is hard enough to get a pokemon with high attack and speed as a battler and when TM's implemented it would be a lot harder to get a pokemon with also high special attack..
the boost is of 50%,but some moves like agility raises 2 stages(100%),as for dragon dance,its raises only 1 stage(50%)of attack by use

andrewle

pokearcanine said:
andrewle said:
the boost is of 50%,but some moves like agility raises 2 stages(100%),as for dragon dance,its raises only 1 stage(50%)of attack by use

so dragon dance is 50% but sword dance is still 100%
scizor5.png

my scizor attack is 290 and it become 580 after one sword dance, on the second thought i think sword dance supposed to be like that and raise 2 stages pfffff sorry i really don't know this stuff i dont play in handhelds so i dont bother with it feels so stupid to even try to. ::)

Peace-Enforcer

I'm sorry for being too lazy to read through everything in this thread. I will just say my peace.(word play was intentional 8) )

How I believe would be the best to proceed with battling updates.
1st We need fixes in how stats boost remain after you switch pokemon out and turns in switching( not sure if this is fixed but you shouldn't be able to switch and attack in a roe).
2nd Probably the best course to balance this would be updates of baton pass move and priority moves.
3rd try to fix as many moves as client allows cause each brings more depth to battling (entry hazzards and Weather conditions would help a lot if client allows in balancing switching).
4th TMs
5th EVs, natures and passives for pokemons
6th rest is just fixes and balances.
Note: never allow evasion or accuracy moves. they are banned for a reason.

Saric

Youngster
Peace-Enforcer said:
I'm sorry for being too lazy to read through everything in this thread. I will just say my peace.(word play was intentional 8) )

1st We need fixes in how stats boost remain after you switch pokemon out and turns in switching( not sure if this is fixed but you shouldn't be able to switch and attack in a roe).
2nd Probably the best course to balance this would be updates of baton pass move and priority moves.
3rd try to fix as many moves as client allows cause each brings more depth to battling (entry hazzards and Weather conditions would help a lot if client allows in balancing switching).
4th TMs
I agree with many of these points however the last one is just silly. I do agree that they should not be put in right now until things like whirlwind are working, but saying they should never be allowed is a bit much.

mad30

Youngster
i always used eva and acc moves as one of my "fun" strategies playing the handhelds and with my friends over a sys link, so will always be a place in my heart for them and hope they do get added.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
Saric said:
Peace-Enforcer said:

4th TMs
I agree with many of these points however the last one is just silly. I do agree that they should not be put in right now until things like whirlwind are working, but saying they should never be allowed is a bit much.

Actually it is not silly, since battling in pwo doesn't follow any rules in particular which means that if eva/acc are made to work properly, moves like sand attack and double team would be abused. That's my pov on this matter.