KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
HOF69 said:
Drexed said:
Machamp - Proven counter via revenge
Scizor - Get a decent attack scizor 20+ ivs will smack slak
Steelix - Notice how you said IF. who misses THAT many times?
Blaziken - Solar beam is potentially 2hko
Charizard - No explanation needed he can smack slaking with any sp attk he has
Heracross- Close combat, he's resistant to dark and fighting doesnt need to ohko slak
Rhydon - ill give you this one but only because of focus punch without it he would be scrap.
Muk - how don't you know about muk? it would be close though since muk is missing a few hard hitting attacks.
Nidoking/Nidoqueen - Yes "waaaayyy" Blizzard, ice beam, earth power all it needs to have an advantage over slak focus punch wouldnt really be a problem either because of its type coverage.
Feraligatr - Underestimated, can tear slak a new one he can either use superpower or spam icebeam either one will get the job done.
Typhlosion - its the same as char except he doesn't have coverage with fight types, still wouldnt make a difference flamethrower or solarbeam does the trick.
Swampert - same as feraligatr except hammer arm or ice beam but then again fera has higher base stats so this is debatable.
Blastoise - Underestimated, tanks all day Hydro pump, ice beam or blizzard and thats all she wrote.
Dragonite - You cannot be serious, Bulkier version of salamence minus the speed, flamethrower is all it needs. Did I also mention its a mixed attacker?
Salamence - he could be slower and still win with the type coverage
Togekiss - Aura sphere = game. crit is 160% of his health which would be hilarious to watch also other wise its a 2hko with slaking barley surviving the first one.
Mamoswine - Simply not fast enough and is weak to fighting you win this one also

For the most part slaking loses to these also didn't they remove focus punch as learnable? meaning it would have to be an older slaking to even use it, this list would be MUCH longer if thats the case, all these can be proven also.

Yes i know i didnt name a lot of the pokemon that can beat him easily, but most on this list aren't difficult to come by for the most part.

Please note that the following scenarios do not factor in critical hits, as they are unpredictable and should not be relied on to beat Slaking.

Machamp - can counter Slaking
Scizor - easily counters Slaking
Steelix - can counter Slaking, as long as it doesn't miss Sand Tomb several times
Blaziken - has zero chance of beating Slaking with its poor defense, and why would you even use Solarbeam (which will not 2HKO Slaking) when High Jump Kick does far more damage?
Charizard - only beats Slaking if its faster and Fire Spin doesn't miss
Heracross - also no chance of beating Slaking with its poor defense, and why does it matter that its resistant to Fighting and Dark-type moves when Slaking has Slash to tear it apart?
Rhydon - hard to say about this one, but if Rhydon can tank 3 Focus Punches, then it wins
Muk - no chance to win against Slash
Nidoking/Nidoqueen - you're joking right? Once again, Slash destroys these two
Feraligatr - it takes 3 Superpowers for Feraligatr to KO Slaking (I know, I've tried with my shiny one), and it would take even more Ice Beams; Slaking wins again
Typhlosion - no chance since it lacks Fire Spin
Swampert - takes 3 Hammer Arms to KO Slaking, so no
Blastoise - yet another no chance
Dragonite - I am serious, serious that Dragonite has no hope of beating Slaking
Salamence - yet another loss
Togekiss - I have not tested this matchup, but unless you manage to 2HKO Slaking with Aura Sphere, Slaking will win, so I'll call this a toss-up for now
Mamoswine - no chance

Drexed, from reading your post, you clearly have forgotten that Slaking learns Slash, which it can use to destroy almost all of the Pokemon you said could easily beat Slaking. Slaking only uses Focus Punch on Pokemon weak to Fighting-type, and it only uses Punishment on Pokemon weak to Dark-type. Otherwise, it spams Slash on everything.

You also seem to think that any special attack can 2HKO Slaking, regardless of whether or not it gets STAB. That is a huge mistake. It is true that Slaking does not have great special defense, but it has massive HP and is more than capable of tanking 2 special moves from most Pokemon. My Slaking always tanks 2 Hydro Pumps from Starmie, and usually 2 Thunders from Jolteon. What makes you think Dragonite using Flamethrower, Feraligatr using Ice Beam, Nidoking using Blizzard, etc. could possibly stand a chance of easily beating Slaking as you have said? If you truly believe in your scenarios, then I suggest you test them yourself and you will see just how wrong you are.

+1 to this.
Also, I'd suggest you stop applying damage calcs logic on pwo as if it was an universal truth as some things differ from the results shown there. It's okay to use them to have a global notion but you should still test them on pwo so you can formulate a proper idea without basing it only on theory.

The-Predator

Youngster
HOF69 said:
Drexed said:
Heracross- Close combat, he's resistant to dark and fighting doesnt need to ohko slak
Rhydon - ill give you this one but only because of focus punch without it he would be scrap.
Muk - how don't you know about muk? it would be close though since muk is missing a few hard hitting attacks.
Nidoking/Nidoqueen - Yes "waaaayyy" Blizzard, ice beam, earth power all it needs to have an advantage over slak focus punch wouldnt really be a problem either because of its type coverage.
Feraligatr - Underestimated, can tear slak a new one he can either use superpower or spam icebeam either one will get the job done.
Typhlosion - its the same as char except he doesn't have coverage with fight types, still wouldnt make a difference flamethrower or solarbeam does the trick.
Swampert - same as feraligatr except hammer arm or ice beam but then again fera has higher base stats so this is debatable.
Blastoise - Underestimated, tanks all day Hydro pump, ice beam or blizzard and thats all she wrote.
Dragonite - You cannot be serious, Bulkier version of salamence minus the speed, flamethrower is all it needs. Did I also mention its a mixed attacker?
Togekiss - Aura sphere = game. crit is 160% of his health which would be hilarious to watch also other wise its a 2hko with slaking barley surviving the first one.
Mamoswine - Simply not fast enough and is weak to fighting you win this one also

For the most part slaking loses to these also didn't they remove focus punch as learnable? meaning it would have to be an older slaking to even use it, this list would be MUCH longer if thats the case, all these can be proven also.

Yes i know i didnt name a lot of the pokemon that can beat him easily, but most on this list aren't difficult to come by for the most part.

Please note that the following scenarios do not factor in critical hits, as they are unpredictable and should not be relied on to beat Slaking.

Steelix - can counter Slaking, as long as it doesn't miss Sand Tomb several times
Blaziken - has zero chance of beating Slaking with its poor defense, and why would you even use Solarbeam (which will not 2HKO Slaking) when High Jump Kick does far more damage?
Heracross - also no chance of beating Slaking with its poor defense, and why does it matter that it's resistant to Fighting and Dark-type moves when Slaking has Slash to tear it apart?
Rhydon - hard to say about this one, but if Rhydon can tank 3 Focus Punches, then it wins
Feraligatr - it takes 3 Superpowers for Feraligatr to KO Slaking (I know, I've tried with my shiny one), and it would take even more Ice Beams; Slaking wins again
Togekiss - I have not tested this matchup, but unless you manage to 2HKO Slaking with Aura Sphere, Slaking will win, so I'll call this a toss-up for now
Mamoswine - no chance

Drexed, from reading your post, you clearly have forgotten that Slaking learns Slash, which it can use to destroy almost all of the Pokemon you said could easily beat Slaking. Slaking only uses Focus Punch on Pokemon weak to Fighting-type, and it only uses Punishment on Pokemon weak to Dark-type. Otherwise, it spams Slash on everything.

You also seem to think that any special attack can 2HKO Slaking, regardless of whether or not it gets STAB. That is a huge mistake. It is true that Slaking does not have great special defense, but it has massive HP and is more than capable of tanking 2 special moves from most Pokemon. My Slaking always tanks 2 Hydro Pumps from Starmie, and usually 2 Thunders from Jolteon. What makes you think Dragonite using Flamethrower, Feraligatr using Ice Beam, Nidoking using Blizzard, etc. could possibly stand a chance of easily beating Slaking as you have said? If you truly believe in your scenarios, then I suggest you test them yourself and you will see just how wrong you are.

again, this above, hadnt have a chance to answer u properly since i was checking forums via cellphone but most (if not all of ur answers) are extremely awfully wrong, i mean, Drexed for what im seeing u are replying, my question is, have u ever tried it urself? or u just calculating basing ur thoughts on a battles scene thats clearly NOT PWO´s battle scene?..
if u are rlly convinced on what u are saying, lets do this, what about if we make a bet?? ill use slaking and u will use every single strategy u quoted against mine, if u fail on what u said u would lost "x" money if i´d lose, i´d give u the pokemoney, what u say? put the price, lets give ur calculations a chance ;)

joysclash

Well the only 2 pokes that i have used and confirmed against slaking is shiny machamp and epic tyranitar and both of them has proven their worth by beating slaks over and over.....so why didnt any one mention tyranitar ??? its also a slack killer..

darkshadow.

joysclash said:
Well the only 2 pokes that i have used and confirmed against slaking is shiny machamp and epic tyranitar and both of them has proven their worth by beating slaks over and over.....so why didnt any one mention tyranitar ??? its also a slack killer..

focus punch - 85-90% health of t-tar gone

joysclash

_darkshadow_ said:
joysclash said:

focus punch - 85-90% health of t-tar gone

nope not for an epic tyranitar....and even if its thats way, tyranitar will still win ...cause Focus punch is a priority move with -3 priority so tyra will hit slak first with a stone edge ...and follwed by another stonedge it will kill slak...plus tyra will resist slaks other attaks ...if stoneedge misses than tyra will die theres no doubt about that ....my opinion isnt based on theory and datas from wiki i have done it myself and seen other people doin it ..so my point is u have 50-50 chance of wining against slak with tyra ..

Tendou

I do think the special based attacks are more suited to defeat slaking or any fighitng stab attack which the owner owns more than 100 base atk and with decent ivs.

With the focus punch being nerfing once again i don't see why slaking can't join battles without complaining. I'm not a battler so i can't argue so much about it but im not against battling against it cause i don't ever care for win/loses but the thing is, i can build a better team using slaking as pinea pig.

joysclash

i don't want to jump out of topic ..and i know its wrong..but i just couldn't resist telling you that when ever i see your name Tendou it always reminds me of the Tendou Dojo ...<fond memories> well whatever lol

the thing is the rumor of slak being unbeatable still survives among the community, so allmost everyone still refers not to battle against slak ..but as we can see in this topic, after kpyppo, drexed, hof69, me and other's immense discussion, there are only a few set of pokemons which can counter slak so it will take some more time for everyone to get mixed with the new structure of the battle system ..so lets hope for the best :) and happy new year :)

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
Just wanna throw this out there... are you trolling? Slak will 2hko ttar, and ttar will 3hko slak even with stone edge, so priority doesn't matter (not to mention stone edge misses all the time). People are seriously underestimating slaking, and might just be going off crits they got lucky on or something.

joysclash

ummm well im not trolling ...incase u refer to me i already said "50-50" chance i didnt say that tyra can actually beat slak with a full guarantee ....i have used tyra against slak ..may be perhaps theres a possibility that all the slaks i faced had bad def or something but they sure wasn't crit hits...i just said what i experienced in battles and im not a troller :p

I.Am

After read almost all posts here i think you guys talking about 2 different thing :

1. Noob/Medium ivs Slaking ( Example : Why you guys afraid Slaking ? I can beat it with my pokes easily,no probs,etc )

2. Epic ivs Slaking ( Example : People are seriously underestimating slaking, and might just be going off crits they got lucky on or something ).

Epic ivs tanky high atk Slaking is not a joke. No offense. The only thing i can say : B99 no Slak and the true counter for it is Metagross (Arcanine and Charizard waiting next turn :p ).

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
We need a list of counters that can kill the BEST slaking no matter what. No "If this move misses," no "if this move crits," no "If the slaking isn't epic," nothing like that at all. Any supposed counter based on that logic is not reliable and should be completely disregarded.

Why? Because you cannot rely on or control any move/pokemon other than your own. It's folly to rely on fate, especially when it comes to stats, because the more serious/experienced the battler the better stats his/her pokemon will have.

Dovee

Youngster
Nothing can beat slaking 100% of the time because Slakes got dat
jeph_has_swagger_by_topspinthefuzzy-d4ledgl.png

Drexed

KPyppo said:
HOF69 said:
Drexed said:

Heracross - also no chance of beating Slaking with its poor defense, and why does it matter that it's resistant to Fighting and Dark-type moves when Slaking has Slash to tear it apart?
Mamoswine - no chance

again, this above, hadnt have a chance to answer u properly since i was checking forums via cellphone but most (if not all of ur answers) are extremely awfully wrong, i mean, Drexed for what im seeing u are replying, my question is, have u ever tried it urself? or u just calculating basing ur thoughts on a battles scene thats clearly NOT PWO´s battle scene?..
if u are rlly convinced on what u are saying, lets do this, what about if we make a bet?? ill use slaking and u will use every single strategy u quoted against mine, if u fail on what u said u would lost "x" money if i´d lose, i´d give u the pokemoney, what u say? put the price, lets give ur calculations a chance ;)

Im on right now lets give it a shot just pm me in-game

Drexed

Sure if you think so, ive been on for a while now and nothing.

HOF69

CheckeredZebra said:
We need a list of counters that can kill the BEST slaking no matter what. No "If this move misses," no "if this move crits," no "If the slaking isn't epic," nothing like that at all. Any supposed counter based on that logic is not reliable and should be completely disregarded.

Why? Because you cannot rely on or control any move/pokemon other than your own. It's folly to rely on fate, especially when it comes to stats, because the more serious/experienced the battler the better stats his/her pokemon will have.

Well, assuming that Slaking doesn't use Swagger or Yawn and troll you with either of those moves, no critical hits by either Pokemon, no missed moves, no stat alterations via moves that have small chances of doing so (e.g. Psychic lowering special defense), no use of status ailments (e.g. sleep or confusion), and both the Slaking and opposing Pokemon are all 31 IVs, the following Pokemon (based on my experience) can beat Slaking. Notice I said can, so that doesn't mean they always do.

Metagross
Scizor
Steelix (now that Focus Punch is decreased priority)
Machamp
Rhydon (now that Focus Punch is decreased priority)
Charizard
Cloyster
Jolteon

There might be a few more that have outside chances if they get enough luck, such as Typhlosion if it manages to tank 2 Slashes or even Swampert if it gets a total of 10 Whirlpool hits, but obviously these are risky. Even of the above Pokemon, several of them rely on moves that miss quite frequently, such as Jolteon using Thunder. Of course, Slaking can be beaten through other means such as Gengar's Hypnosis. I will note that Metagross is the easiest way to beat Slaking. But as already stated, these scenarios assume a lot (no criticals, etc.), which we all know are bound to happen at some point, so in the end there is no single guarantee of beating any Slaking.

I will make one final note, as I'm sure people will question why Starmie isn't on that list. I have tried time and time again with my shiny Starmie to 2HKO an uber Slaking and failed, and likewise my uber Slaking has beaten countless Starmies. Starmie can be a counter, but against better Slakings it is most certainly not. If anyone has experienced any other easy wins against Slaking using other Pokemon, feel free to add. The above list is simply what I have seen.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
@HOF: Thank you.

Unfortunately swagger is going to hurt, and Zard/Jolt aren't exactly reliable in worst-case scenarios. Which, once you get to higher-end battling, is the fairly common scenario. (I'm assuming max IVs for both pokemon involved.)

Zard needs the random speed chance to work in his favor. Zard also needs fire spin to hit -on average- 4 times in two separate turns. If it doesn't, he's dead. Jolt needs Thunder to hit twice in a row, however. While not as risky as Zard, it still isn't great.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
Empress Teck said:
And here I was actually thinking about de-nerfing slaking...
Yeah, give it last resort, Earthquake, sucker punch, and high jump kick. It'll be great *thumbs up*