Ads in PWO?!

Shiningamisgirl

Maybe I'm going crazy, but, I've been seeing advertisements all over the place. Hidden into words throughout the forums. (Even with adblock on! Demon ads!) There doesn't seem to be any one forum area they're popping up in. Just all over, in random posts, and in the main area.

An example:
2u7pnw6.png

Heres another example:

http://i43.tinypic.com/29pax7b.png

Thats this sort of thing happening on both the home board for forums, and in subforums. Like Artist Subforums.and the Board Index.

Also: All the ad's seem to be coming from Start Savin.

I'm hoping this is some sort of weird glitch, or that my computer has a virus, worms, whatever, and that this is not something permanent.

Otherwise I have to ask..>WAT ARE THIS!?!!

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
I was asking the same thing. It's boring these advertisements popping up everytime and everywhere and sometimes are 2, 3...

Shiningamisgirl

They weren't here yesterday though, or even a week ago. When did PWO partner up with a haxorz ad company? -most of this stuff isn't even legit, it's like the 'would you like a virus? Click here!' type of ad. If these were legitimate advertisements, I might have less of an issue. These types of ads are just asking for people to get scammed though..or..again, viruses!!

Eww gross..Start Savin is adware that gets bundled in with certain browsers or downloads. -sighs- Time to see what I've been downloading recently and kill this thing.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Maybe you guys should do a scan of your computer for adware/spyware; as it might be something on your own computers. I do know a number of adware programs that look for certain keywords in web pages and turn them into advertising links like this; although I also know of scripts where websites can also add that in deliberately for just their own website.

Rest assured, no PWO Staff member has to my knowledge signed us up with any advertising network which would add annoying and intrusive adverts like these - we've always been solely Google Adwords. I don't see the adverts you two have complained about myself; but if anyone else is also seeing these ads, please let us know as we will investigate if it turns out to be more than isolated cases.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
The type of advertising you see would never be approved by myself - nevermind the rest of the staff. I personally would prefer we go with no advertisements full stop however advertisements are in place due to project manager request.

The-Predator

Youngster
Yeah it seems to be malware on ur pc, i have never encountered such advertising if u started to see that now it may be a software u installed lately, however i suggest u to heavily scan ur pc

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
I don't run adblock on any of the PWO websites and have not seen anything like this, make sure to check your web browsers for any addons, toolbars, etc that may have installed as well as the virus scans.

Shiningamisgirl

Thanks you guys for all of your help! -Woo go staff!- Found the little bugger n killed it. Ugly little thing wormed its way into my system addons. Thank goodness for malwarebytes. Pretty sure I've got it completely dead -all the ad's have disappeared- not sure if it came in while I was updating my drivers..or Photoshop..Mozilla. I was able to delete it though. I guess I'll have to keep a better eye out for this stuff, never happened before lol!

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
I found it weird because I haven't download anything for a while, but anyway I uninstalled some extensions and plugs-in from my brower (which ones were intalled by thirds). I also made a scan in my PC and found nothing and it's more weird they are not popping up anymore. o_O

Thanks for the help~

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Now, during another detailed scan I curiously found 3 little things related as high gravity which shouldn't be working together my browser. Perhaps the font of the problem.

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Seem I was wrong, after a long while the advertisements popped up again. I found another software hidden and I have reasons to believe it was the origin of the issue because its name was linked to some advertisements. I also believe it's now definitly dead. *hopefully*

Big Thanks Dar~ :)