5 Reasons why changing moves shouldn't cost money

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
As I said my response was tongue in cheek partly, but I would support such a change 100% if anyone wanted to take it seriously. I am just giving my opinion not intending to shoot anyone down in flames or just making a sarcastic remark just to make fun of anyone. Not my intention at all.

It's clear I don't agree and my reasons are already stated above so enough said. :)

Maideza

I mentioned this on IRC last night, but will bring it here.

It should only have a fee calculated on levels after learning it. E.g. if a Pokémon learns MoveX at level 28, then it's free until you hit 29 - and then it will add a fee like now. Then it doesn't hurt you when it bugs, you are new, etc.

Only requires an extra variable (or rather, I guess it already has these variables - so merely a minor change in the coding). Let the calculation check if Pokemon lv == Move lv. If yes = 0, if over = 500*theLvsOver.

On a side note, as saw it mentioned in the OP..
Plus my solution for TMs seems very reasonable.

Edit: Example how the moves could be calculated (in horrible pseudo code, I haven't coded for a long, long time)

Price-tag

If; PkmnLv == MoveLv; set 0
Else; set ((PkmnLv-MoveLv)*500

Examples PkmnLv 86, MoveLv 27

(86-27)*500 = 29,500

So if your Pkmn is level 86, and want to learn a Move it learned at 27, you would pay 29,500. If you learn it at 27, it's free (0)

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The problem with Maideza's suggestion is it would essentially allow all four moves to be changed for free if the Pokémon is at a level where it would learn a new move, meaning players could abuse the option to learn other moves that weren't the one that should be learnt now and not pay a thing. However, it gives me an idea; and I think this one makes more sense though would likely be a lot more difficult to implement.

My suggestion is to have a check before the move change list for if the Pokémon is at a level where it would have just learnt a move. If it is, give an option beforehand to teach this move for free or go to the full move change page. When you click Edit Moves on a Pokémon, a landing page like this could appear instead of the full Move Editor page:

Teach this move?

Your Pikachu is Lv29, which allows it to learn Thunderbolt. If you did not get prompted to learn this in-game, you can teach your Pokémon this move for free, as long as it has not levelled up from the learning level before the move was taught. You can also teach this move later from the Move Editor page for a fee.

Select an option: [Drop Down Box V]
Do not learn "Thunderbolt"
Replace "ThunderShock"
Replace "Tail Whip"
Replace "Quick Attack"
Learn as new move
<< This option will only appear if the Pokémon knows fewer than four moves for some reason.

If you wish to change other moves, click to continue to the full Move Editor.

This should be skipped and the full Move Editor page shown as normal if no move can be learnt right now.

Puar

Youngster
I think making potions and pokeballs free is a bit far, But I was not kidding about what I said about surfboards/bikes as well as the blocks between towns. Dont get why everyone thinks I'm trolling them...

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
Puar said:
I think all the roadblocks should be removed that make it so that people cannot pass from town to town before beating the next gym leader.

Basing myself on the handhelds, this idea seems good to me and matches the games based on both kanto and johto in freedom of movement. But roadblocks shouldn't be removed entirely. Instead, npc roadblocks should only be left in places that in the handhelds needed the use of an hm move (which required a certain badge to be used outside of battle). For example in kanto, an npc standing before the route were cubones are located only letting a player proceed if he has the cerulean gym badge or cinnabar island only being able to be accessed if the player has the fuchsia city badge (since this one enabled surf to be used out of battle in the handhelds and cinnabar couldn't be accessed without it). This would also allow the players to challenge the gyms on the order they desire to some extent, this could translate in the 2nd-7th gyms in kanto and the 4th-7th gyms in johto being fought in any order (though with some restrictions, with npcs replacing the use of hms). This couldn't be applied to any other regions though, as they are more rigid on what concerns game progress.

On a sidenote, I'm fully aware that this post of mine bears no contribution to the topic and the idea presented on it, but I found one of Puar's suggestion interesting and decided to leave my two cents about it.

Koriban

HitmonFonty said:
Everything is unfinished here. The playerdex has been buggy and is being replaced, many moves that glitch and aren't learned when they should be happen because there can only be one move learnt per level instead of multiple moves- and more often than not it's the 'useless' move that gets added not the one you want. Also the necessity of the unevolved pokemon learning the move that the evolved Pokemon would have learned at that level on evolution often causes problems. Other times there is conflict with other pokemon evolving or learning moves after the same battle. all incomplete features.

So why should people have to pay for incomplete features mistakes? I agree with this change if it was done correctly. I don't think it should be completely free for everyone - but I agree that lower players lose more out of this currently than the higher players and that IS a problem and can have a negative effect on your userbase. Perhaps you could make it so that every player gets 3 free changes, and after those are used it, THEN you have to pay?

I feel this would allow the odd mistake here and there to be dealt with, and I doubt it'll happen more than 3 times. After that you're clearly changing movesets for benefit, or you're by then relevelling a poke and have the expenses to pay for the moveset changes.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
We will not be removing the cost however it will be 'altered' in the Playerdex update.

Professor.Oak

Bluerise said:
We will not be removing the cost however it will be 'altered' in the Playerdex update.

I'm happy with at least an "alteration", so I guess that's that.
We'll have to see how it is once it comes out.

Merse

Youngster
Puar said:
I think making potions and pokeballs free is a bit far, But I was not kidding about what I said about surfboards/bikes as well as the blocks between towns. Dont get why everyone thinks I'm trolling them...
1) Because it would boost the inflation even further,
2) Because you could farm on other gyms, so you could battle Clair and her retainers, lose to her last Pokemon and then return to Chuck for example,
3) it would make the whole progression concept pointless. Why would anyone elvel Pidger, Caterpie or Rattata, when all they have to do is to walk to the next pond, catch a lv 5 whatever and own Brock.

theflightlessone

Koriban said:
So why should people have to pay for incomplete features mistakes? I agree with this change if it was done correctly. I don't think it should be completely free for everyone - but I agree that lower players lose more out of this currently than the higher players and that IS a problem and can have a negative effect on your userbase. Perhaps you could make it so that every player gets 3 free changes, and after those are used it, THEN you have to pay?

I feel this would allow the odd mistake here and there to be dealt with, and I doubt it'll happen more than 3 times. After that you're clearly changing movesets for benefit, or you're by then relevelling a poke and have the expenses to pay for the moveset changes.

If people knew they got 3 or so free changes, then some would just wait to fix expensive mistakes, I think.

Seeing as in the game to edit and learn certain moves we needed to pay, I guess it's only fair that we pay to change our Pokemon's moves. I was a little taken aback by the price at first, though. And I support the idea of being allowed to change a move on the level that you learn it in case of bugs - My Charmander didn't learn Dragon Rage at first, and my Gastly not Night Shade. It was only vague annoyances though, but I can see where bugs like that become really, really frustrating as you get more levels and start training competitively, and so learn the stronger moves at higher levels. Like, after maybe shelling out a lot of hard earned cash for a level 54 Growlithe it fails to learn Flare Blitz or something, you know?

Puar

Youngster
Merse said:
Puar said:
3) it would make the whole progression concept pointless. Why would anyone elvel Pidger, Caterpie or Rattata, when all they have to do is to walk to the next pond, catch a lv 5 whatever and own Brock.

On that note I think that all the gym leaders should have full teams of max level pokemon to make it more of a challenge. It doesnt make much sense to me (when thinking about PWO as an actual place) why there would be such a strict track for people to follow. This is an MMO it is meant to be an open world. If Brock really deserves to be the leader of the Rock Gym then he should be arguably the best rock pokemon trainer, no? Right now beating all the gyms is difficult but I think it should take longer and be something to actually brag about.

CrimsonSapphire

Puar said:
Merse said:
Puar said:

On that note I think that all the gym leaders should have full teams of max level pokemon to make it more of a challenge. It doesnt make much sense to me (when thinking about PWO as an actual place) why there would be such a strict track for people to follow. This is an MMO it is meant to be an open world. If Brock really deserves to be the leader of the Rock Gym then he should be arguably the best rock pokemon trainer, no? Right now beating all the gyms is difficult but I think it should take longer and be something to actually brag about.

Yea the gym leader should be harder. 16th gym should have 99 level poke ^^ The game is easy to beat. I have nothing to do right now; put a gym leader reset per 2 weeks maybe ?

Jhaxion

Jinji said:
Not sure if sarcasm, trolling or everyone's lost their minds.

Everyone has clearly lost there minds,but it is a good debate. I can't decide if it would be a bad move are a good one,but atm i think the current system of paying for move changes is fine. As for gym leaders thats a touchy topic as well because again there will always be people who want change for unknown reasons and not thinking about the impact on the community as a whole. We all know the saying if if ain't broke don't fix it,obviously there is a lot of "broke" things in pwo which is in need of being fixed. Im interested in which issues are higher on the to do list.

Merse

Youngster
Puar said:

Although generally I support the idea, there is one point i have to stress out: The gym leaders have not the purpose to be extremely hard to beat. Their purpose is to be beaten and by that, to teach the young trainers things about Pokemon and to prepare them for upcoming battles and adventures.
What you are suggesting would be perfect for the Elite Four, because they are the four strongest battlers ever and they are extremely hard to be beaten. While a gym leader somewhere wants to lose, so he could pass his/her teaching to the challenger, the Elite Four doesn't want to lose, they want to beat everyone.

And that's why you should be able to rebattle the leaders with full 99 teams once you have all the badges. Then you have proved that you're a worthy trainer so they are ready show you their true skills.

Professor.Oak

I like this idea of higher leveled Gym Leaders, it just makes sense, I generally like Merses idea but Puars is pretty interesting too and does fit the MMO scene, only concern I'd have is that a lot of people who play this game imo do it for nostalgic reasons so I'm not sure how'd they'd like a non-traditional Pokemon format like Puars, also I think that the only way people would like Puars format if theres is a ton-load of quests to keep them entertained, or else it would just be an incredibly boring grind fest . Either way I think it deserves its own topic to get more people interested in discussing it. I believe this topic has served its purpose so it can be locked and closed ^-^

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I completely disagree with gym leaders being high level off the bat. People already struggle with the level grind as it is, and most good leveling areas require 16 badges to access as it is. Even if you changes these areas to be open, it still wouldn't work.

The completely wild grind would be a huge turn-off for many people, because there would be absolutely zero "progress markers" that would encourage people to continue with their journey. The game, for most people, would consist of walking left, right, and then choosing an attack to O-KO a wild pokemon. Then, once they hit level 80 (Something that takes quite a bit of dedication, especially if a person has just jumped into the game) MAYBE challenge and beat/lost to a gym leader.

The gym leaders are there to give players a reason to progress. The ELITE 4 is there to be a more serious challenge, not the gym leaders. The gym leaders are designed as progressive, encouraging obstacles.

If you want to make them rebattle-able later (sort of like the lategame areas of black/white), then they could be uber awesome fighters that give moderate (but not necessary) rewards. Even then, this would appease the more PvP-based players instead of the Collection or Social-based ones.

HeavyPetter

I agree with the above post by CheckeredZebra. I would also like to say that I'd love to see the possibility to rebattle gym-leaders. Even without gaining experience for it, it would be nice to have some really difficult level 99 NPC battles. Their pokemon could even be modified to something like 'Brock's onix' with better stats and an improved moveset as compared to a normal onix.

MasterOfTheHunt said:
I would like to see invisible team rockets NPCs rob you of 10% of your total money at completely random times in random places

YES!

Although no need for NPC:s, I'll take the job!