24 Hour Time Between Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soudon

I really think imo this whole 24 hour wait time after losing to a gym master is DUMB. Sorry just my opinion but I would really love to see that gone.

GawertyXL

That's the lowest the client will allow cool down times to be, you're not the only one who has brought this up. in the simplest terms, there is nothing to be done for it at the moment.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Gawerty said:
That's the lowest the client will allow cool down times to be, you're not the only one who has brought this up. in the simplest terms, there is nothing to be done for it at the moment.
In this case it isn't the client's doing. It would be the server, to go any lower - we'll need to possibly edit all existing NPCs, server code and database.

May I ask what you'll consider a suitable alternative?

Soudon

Honestly no "cooldown" this is pokemon and I don't remember there being any type of cooldown for that on the games. (Not trying to be rude even if it may come across that way).

Also it has been 24 hours i'm fairly certain of that and I still can't challenge brock lol.

Zywa-Torpeda

Well, if you lost one time, you have 24h for exp your pokes, otherwise, without cooldown you probably would lose again, again, and again.

Krowe

Soudon said:
Honestly no "cooldown" this is pokemon and I don't remember there being any type of cooldown for that on the games. (Not trying to be rude even if it may come across that way).
Hey Soudon,

While PWO is designed to follow the spirit of the Nintendo/Game Freak titles, it is still at its core a massively multi-player experience. Unlike the original titles, which were designed with a single-player experience in mind, PWO attempts to provide a level of play similar to that of other massively multi-player experiences. This includes modifications to in-game structures, content, or mechanisms designed for the single-player experience that might otherwise not be effectively or easily translated into our chosen medium.

One of the changes to the original experience is PWO's interpretation of the NPC re-battle feature. Each of our NPCs may be re-battled once every 14 days, with the notable exception of gym leaders. We have made and are continuing to make efforts and strides towards removing the gym-gating system -- at least to some degree -- as it was conceptualized with linear, single-player experiences as a focal point during its design. PWO attempts to circumvent this by down-playing the value of gym badges during certain aspects of play, and by ensuring that gym leader NPCs are much more readily accessible than other NPCs might be.

Please note that once a gym leader has been defeated, that leader may not be re-battled at this point in time.

If you have any suggestions as to how the PWO design team might better interpret or implement NPC or gym leader mechanics, we'd love to hear about them. You can submit any alternatives, improvements, or plans by submitting a new topic in the Suggestions forum. Please be sure to provide details, examples, or any other materials that you believe will help the design team to better understand and visualize your suggestion(s).

Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to reading any improvements that you or other members of the community have to suggest!
-- Krowe
CG Apprentice

Saurus

Banned
Soudon said:
I really think imo this whole 24 hour wait time after losing to a gym master is DUMB. Sorry just my opinion but I would really love to see that gone.

At first I thought the exact same thing. That waiting 24 hours after losing a gym battle is stupid. I think I raged at some point (Lol) but it did make sense in the end. Credit where it's due. Due to the 24 hour wait I was able to level up my pokemon and actually go on to beat 2-3 gyms after that because of the 24 hour wait and leveling up.

So, use the time wisely. It's beneficial in the end.

Arnie

The thing is, the Xanascript code only allows NPCs to calculate time in days. so obviously the lowest amount is 0, but the problem is with what would happen if the limit was removed. its been done before and all people ended up doing was exploiting it, losing on purpose to gain exp. this is the main reason theres a cooldown limit in the first place.

Also if u lose then ur pokes clearly aren't good enough ;)

Tendou

Arnie_Jr said:
The thing is, the Xanascript code only allows NPCs to calculate time in days. so obviously the lowest amount is 0, but the problem is with what would happen if the limit was removed. its been done before and all people ended up doing was exploiting it, losing on purpose to gain exp. this is the main reason theres a cooldown limit in the first place.

Also if u lose then ur pokes clearly aren't good enough ;)

This, thats why some things are completely different when you are in a MMO version. Not all things will follow the handhelds or it will be a heavy crazier. Thats a open way for exploiters, the first things that came on my mind were 1- losing to abuse the exp, 2- a strong support for starter farming/selling.

New players will always be kinda sad or annoyed due that but once you familiarize yourself with PWO you will understand some points are reasonable.

Have a good one.

Xzuckz

Bluerise said:
Gawerty said:
In this case it isn't the client's doing. It would be the server, to go any lower - we'll need to possibly edit all existing NPCs, server code and database.

Hi I'm new here but I need to tell everyone that, this problem is one easy one to fix cause every gymleader NPC has that time amount of a 24hour wait when you lose right?
So the script for that would be the same for every Gymleader NPC and they would have a call back to the database to se how long each player has waited and if it match the script so you can only battle again after 24 hours.
So if you change the wait time in the scrit it will change every thing it's very few codes and they are easy to fix so why not fix it?

Big Love Xzuckz Productions!

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Xzuckz said:
Bluerise said:
Gawerty said:

Hi I'm new here but I need to tell everyone that, this problem is one easy one to fix cause every gymleader NPC has that time amount of a 24hour wait when you lose right?
So the script for that would be the same for every Gymleader NPC and they would have a call back to the database to se how long each player has waited and if it match the script so you can only battle again after 24 hours.
So if you change the wait time in the scrit it will change every thing it's very few codes and they are easy to fix so why not fix it?

Changing server coding isn't something that can be done lightly here. It can lead to the new coding interacting badly with coding that's already there, so that when a certain action is taken by a player in battle the server can't deal with it and crashes. Gym leaders are coded distinctly from other NPCs and have often been unstable which is a major reason why we don't mess with them, and don't plan to at least until the new client comes and server changes can be synced directly with it.

If it was an easy fix it would have been done long before now. You can see how unstable the server and client are right now with dozens of clients crashing in just a few hours. So the only way to shorten the wait time is to make it zero wait time, and we can't do that without adding in some other protection to stop those who would abuse gym leader experience.

xrmk

HitmonFonty said:
Gym leaders are coded distinctly from other NPCs and have often been unstable which is a major reason why we don't mess with them
I kinda understand what you mean since as a scripter I've encountered problems like this when things start to become unstable so you want too just ''leave it alone''.
(I'm scripting SA-MP servers which I think is alot easier than this since most things got allready made functions for it.)

But also as I understand it, it IS an easy fix. But you're afraid that something might go terrible wrong, or it can just be me that are wrong?

pieoffury

xrmk said:
But also as I understand it, it IS an easy fix. But you're afraid that something might go terrible wrong, or it can just be me that are wrong?

The MAIN reason why gym leaders have 24-hour reset period is because it gives you time to train and give you a better chance of beating the leader. If you battle the gym leader and you lose, the most likely reason is because you were not prepared for it and were under-leveled. The 24 cool down time gives you time to make-up for your loss and to learn from your mistakes by preparing once again to battle the gym leader.

pieoffury

Sure, you can argue that in handheld games, there was no such thing as a cool down time when you lose. If you do lose in the handheld games, you lose a large percentage of your money. In PWO, instead of losing your money, you are give the chance to prepare and gain the better hand in your rematch after 24 hours by training during the 24-hour interval. This is even a good thing compared to the handheld games.

xrmk

PewDiePie_Felix said:
Sure, you can argue that in handheld games, there was no such thing as a cool down time when you lose. If you do lose in the handheld games, you lose a large percentage of your money. In PWO, instead of losing your money, you are give the chance to prepare and gain the better hand in your rematch after 24 hours by training during the 24-hour interval. This is even a good thing compared to the handheld games.
I agree that this is better, but I also agree with that 24 hours can be too much. If you play on saturday untill night. Loose too a gym around 4am, you proberbly wont be able to play at that time the next night since on monday you got school or work. Which makes the waiting time from saturday night/sunday morning 4am, too maybe monday afternoon around 4-6 pm.
Which is a very long waiting time and since you must sleep earlier on sunday too get up for school etc, you only have an estimated time on 12 hours to prepare, so you don't even use the full time.

With all this said I think 12 hours is enough

Xzuckz

HitmonFonty said:
Xzuckz said:
Bluerise said:
Gawerty said:

Changing server coding isn't something that can be done lightly here. It can lead to the new coding interacting badly with coding that's already there, so that when a certain action is taken by a player in battle the server can't deal with it and crashes. Gym leaders are coded distinctly from other NPCs and have often been unstable which is a major reason why we don't mess with them, and don't plan to at least until the new client comes and server changes can be synced directly with it.

If it was an easy fix it would have been done long before now. You can see how unstable the server and client are right now with dozens of clients crashing in just a few hours. So the only way to shorten the wait time is to make it zero wait time, and we can't do that without adding in some other protection to stop those who would abuse gym leader experience.

It's easy for someone that know how to script I have scripted for 5 years now and that was the first thing I learnd so the scripters here should manage to fix it easy......

Algiers

Xzuckz said:
HitmonFonty said:
Xzuckz said:
Bluerise said:
Gawerty said:

It's easy for someone that know how to script I have scripted for 5 years now and that was the first thing I learnd so the scripters here should manage to fix it easy......

I suspect there is a mighty mess of a spaghetti code behind PWO which is probably part of the reason why development is fairly slow and fixes for such apparently simple issues are considered hard. I wish I could have a peek someday, but you know. ;)

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
In terms of PWO, our "scripter" group don't have access to the server coding so they're not able to alter the system in place. Currently it is possible to set in day increments (hence why we don't have 12 hours, 36 hours etc...). Under the current system, we can only simply go with 1 as the lowest before it is nothing.

It wouldn't be time consuming as such to revamp the system to go based on hours instead of days however there are unknowns with the client - small changes can sometimes break the client (eg. adding ids to trade window output). Not that we should necessarily use that as a reason to avoid testing something anyway.

However to do this, I would rather wait till a potenial NPC revamp. A new fairer leveling system is needed (ie. Kanto starters should have higher levels in Johto, not lower) - and I feel the whole thing would essentially take up less time and work much better if completed as one task rather than two.

Unrelated: Please only quote what you're actually responding to. Otherwise i'm as well as likely others will probably ignore your post.

xrmk

Bluerise said:
In terms of PWO, our "scripter" group don't have access to the server coding
Shouldn't the scripter group always have access too the material they work on?
And is there any way to join the PWO team?
I've heard that PWO have had problem with staff before so I would like to join it, not only to help but also I learn from the experience.

Xzuckz

Bluerise said:
In terms of PWO, our "scripter" group don't have access to the server coding so they're not able to alter the system in place. Currently it is possible to set in day increments (hence why we don't have 12 hours, 36 hours etc...). Under the current system, we can only simply go with 1 as the lowest before it is nothing.

Okay you have some good points and I aggre to some of them but the thing that your saying about server coding sounds weard couse how could they work without a script?
And the day thing is wrong, cause if you have days the server would react to the week days like if you loos at 23:55 on sunday you would be able to play at 24:01 on monday couse the server think that it's a new day and since you can't do that the server is having track of time with the scripter have told the sverer that 1 is 24 Hours so it is still not an impossible thing to change but since the game is in "Beta" I know that you may not try everything an since this is not the biggest problem to fix but I would love to have a chance to help with the server so that we could take it out of "Beta" mode
So if there is any chance that I could joina the PWO Team please contact me.

Status
Not open for further replies.