Why is Spheal worth so low?

G

I know horribly rare pokemon are worthless if they are not good in battle..

But, when Spheal evolves into Walrein, his stats are equal if not better than Lapras.
And Lapras is worth a lot!

Using Veekun, I compared a Level 44 Lapras's stats with a Level 44 Walrein.

Lapras's Stats:

HP: 168-182
ATK: 79-93
DEF: 75-89
SPATK: 79-93
SPDEF: 88-102
SPEED: 57-71

Walrein's Stats:

HP: 150-164
ATK: 75-89
DEF: 84-97
SPATK: 88-102
SPDEF: 84-97
SPEED: 62-75

If you closely compare the stats, Walrein has better Defense, Special attack, and Speed.
Lapras only has better Hp, Special defense, and regular attack.

Regular attack is pointless for water pokemon.
Now, I know Walrein may have broken moves.
However, by using Sealeo's move set in the wiki, Walrein's moves should be enough.

As Sealeo, you can still have -
Sheer Cold - 1 hit KO
Blizzard - 120 Power
Aurora Beam - 65 Power
Water Gun / Body slam (your choice) - 40/85 Power respectively.

Lapras -
Sheer Cold - 1 hit KO
Hydro Pump - 120 Power
Brine - 65 Power
Ice Beam - 95

If Sealeo had a stronger water-type move than water gun, it would be equivalent to Lapras.
However, that is just a 1 move advantage.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say a Lapras is weaker or a Walrein is the better pokemon. That is your personal choice. I'm just wondering how spheal could be sold for such a low amount of money when it has the potential to be as strong if not already stronger than a Lapras.
A Hydro Pump should not curve the prices THAT much.

maadoo

no it should , with sealeo u get a 1 trick pony ice type , used to counter ground types, grass types and dragon , however with lapras as ur main water/ice type u have access to hydropump which in turn will include it as a strong counter to metagross if it s faster /fire type pokes counter , this thing can really hurt teams especially competitive battlers who for example have a drago in their team to counter water types, lapras can play that role and still play the role of a normal water type who z role in a team is to kill fire/rock types .
edit: also to awnser your initial question : ever heard the term law of demand and supply?(you would have if u studied economics) when a poke has a surplus of supply in the market , there price would go down ( as u would have realized catching a lapras is 10*harfer than finding a spheal) also when a poke s demand is high in the market , there price would increase ( lapras is more in demand than spheal for the reasons stated above), so overall lapras has a higher demand and lower supply than spheal so it would be worth a lot more than spheal.

Algiers

Spheal was merely VR during a Christmas event. Even if there are no more events that make Spheal temporarily VR it'll take a long time before the price goes back up.

cyy5113

I would say, even Spheal is HR, and have better stats than Lapras, it still have a greater encounter rate than Lapras.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Just a quick note, Lapras used to be VR in the science lab for like...ever, while spheal remained HR there. For a while, lapras wasn't really noticed so widely as a good battler, too, so people would literally give the things away compared to its current price. And yet, within a month or two, prices skyrocketed. Interesting, no?